[Discussion] What is a Swordsman in One Piece?

Skull Knight

Veteran
Kin
1,523💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The claim that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks based on a WSS title is also unfounded when they haven't fought in over 15 years, nor was it ever even stated that Shanks cares about being WSS.

Ya'll just dumb as shit for trying to put Mihawk above a yonko because of a title that has no merit to current Shanks.

Also, being WSS does not mean you STRONGER than someone. It means you have better swordsmanship than someone.

-----------

I bet if Kaido whipped out a sword with Mihawk having the title WSS, niggas would be thinking Mihawk is above Kaido.
WB used Bisento which is also a type of sword and Mihawk's strongest slash didn't reached him. The title logic is BS. But if you say that then you are reading Two Piece :lmao:
There is nothing which shows Mihawk > Shanks because the same manga hypes Yonkos to be the strongest pirate captains in NW.

Dannie

/
Immortal
Kin
1,640💸
Kumi
35💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
WB used Bisento which is also a type of sword and Mihawk's strongest slash didn't reached him. The title logic is BS. But if you say that then you are reading Two Piece :lmao:
There is nothing which shows Mihawk > Shanks because the same manga hypes Yonkos to be the strongest pirate captains in NW.
Is a Bisento a sword? I thought it was just a type of blade.

Anyway, my only problem is that people are using a title for a character to put them above another character when said characters have not fought in a very long time, which makes no sense to me.

Skull Knight

Veteran
Kin
1,523💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
According to wiki;
A bisentō (眉尖刀 brow blade) was a pole weapon used in feudal Japan. The bisentō has various descriptions, "a double-edged long sword with a thick truncated blade" "a spear-like weapon with a blade at the end that resembles a scimitar", "a polearm resembling a glaive, with a long, heavy haft and a heavy, curved blade".

Now WB's bisento kinda look like a glaive so I did some more research and found that
The word "glaive" originated from French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword.

Some also consider it as spear.
So it is basically a mixture of Sword and Spear used by WSM WB in OPverse.

Anyway, my only problem is that people are using a title for a character to put them above another character when said characters have not fought in a very long time, which makes no sense to me.
I know that. They are purely judging Mihawk based on his hype. So far he hasn't shown anything that puts him above Shanks or even BM(who was also seen using sword).
His best feat so far is to cut that ice mountain thing. Everybody needs to wait till he shows more feat before putting him with Yonkos (who are consider as most powerful Pirates in NW) or Admirals.

Last edited:

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️

According to wiki;
A bisentō (眉尖刀 brow blade) was a pole weapon used in feudal Japan. The bisentō has various descriptions, "a double-edged long sword with a thick truncated blade" "a spear-like weapon with a blade at the end that resembles a scimitar", "a polearm resembling a glaive, with a long, heavy haft and a heavy, curved blade".

Now WB's bisento kinda look like a glaive so I did some more research and found that
The word "glaive" originated from French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword.

I know that. They are purely judging Mihawk based on his hype. So far he hasn't shown anything that puts him above Shanks or even BM(who was also seen using sword).
His best feat so far is to cut that ice mountain thing. Everybody needs to wait till he shows more feat before putting him with Yonkos (who are consider as most powerful Pirates in NW) or Admirals.
If you google a long-sword, none of them bear any resemblance to a polearm. Not only that, but it says that it RESEMBLES a glaive, not that it IS a glaive.

Rikudou Tobi

Legendary
Kin
543💸
Kumi
618💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
According to wiki;

You're right about Whitebeard's bisento because a sword is a blade weapon intended for slashing or thrusting that is longer than a knife or dagger. A sword is just a generic term but bisento is just one of its subcategories. So Whitebeard can be considered a swordsmen and I'll assume Killer of the Kidd pirates would be classified as the as well.

Off topic; Before the fujitora reveal, I feel like Kuzan was a sword fighter at one point of his life before attaining the freeze fruit. Borsalino looks pretty proficient with his light saber too but his kicks are too damn good and powerful, kinda reminded me a little bit like Sanji only with fruit powers.

I also find it funny too that all the yonkous except for Kaidou are sword fighters as well.

Last edited:

Skull Knight

Veteran
Kin
1,523💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If you google a long-sword, none of them bear any resemblance to a polearm. Not only that, but it says that it RESEMBLES a glaive, not that it IS a glaive.
All the 3 descriptions posted in wiki actually hints Bisento is a type of Spear/Sword. Even the middle description that it's is a spear which has a blade like scimitar thing also shows that it is a type of sword since scimitar is basically short sword with curved blade.

You're right about Whitebeard's bisento because a sword is a blade weapon intended for slashing or thrusting that is longer than a knife or dagger. A sword is just a generic term but bisento is just one of its subcategories. So Whitebeard can be considered a swordsmen and I'll assume Killer of the Kidd pirates would be classified as the as well.
I agree. Bisento is a type of sword-spear weapon at least that's what wiki says.

I also find it funny too that all the yonkous except for Kaidou are sword fighters as well.
I don't think BB who used Tiger claws pre TS can be consider as Swordsman.

Rikudou Tobi

Legendary
Kin
543💸
Kumi
618💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All the 3 descriptions posted in wiki actually hints Bisento is a type of Spear/Sword. Even the middle description that it's is a spear which has a blade like scimitar thing also shows that it is a type of sword since scimitar is basically short sword with curved blade.

I agree. Bisento is a type of sword-spear weapon at least that's what wiki says.

I don't think BB who used Tiger claws pre TS can be consider as Swordsman.
Oh yeah you're right. I was talking about pre BB era Kaidou was the only one. Now a days BB relies more on pistols than he does a blade.

LBeezy

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The claim that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks based on a WSS title is also unfounded when they haven't fought in over 15 years, nor was it ever even stated that Shanks cares about being WSS.

Ya'll just dumb as shit for trying to put Mihawk above a yonko because of a title that has no merit to current Shanks.

Also, being WSS does not mean you STRONGER than someone. It means you have better swordsmanship than someone.

-----------

I bet if Kaido whipped out a sword with Mihawk having the title WSS, niggas would be thinking Mihawk is above Kaido.
This is one of, if not THE, most on point posts about the whole Mihawk/Shanks/World's Strongest Swordsman title discussion.. idk how many times I've said the same thing already.. I really don't understand how some people can't comprehend this..

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️

-----------

What's actually absurd is this logic that Oda would create this title and have be the dream of one of the Strawhats only for it to boil down to a meaningless title. What's absurd is having the entire world acknowledge Mihawk's title, with not one shred of in-universe doubt to his title, and going "Nah, I bet Oda doesn't really mean it."

Also, to your claim that WSS doesn't mean you're stronger than someone:

1. The title is literally STRONGEST. Not most skilled. But STRONGEST.

2. Mihawk being the strongest of all swordsman is literally given IN THE MANGA

You must be registered for see images

The description is literally "most powerful," and you're still gonna say "It's not about power, it's about skill."

Also, to the discussion about whether or not a bisento is a sword: It's not. The classification of what a sword is been differently regarded across cultures and time periods up until modern times. Meaning that what would be called a sword in Europe 300 years ago might not be what would be called a sword in China 400 years ago, and vice versa.

The modern definition of a sword is:
sword
sôrd/Submit
noun
a weapon with a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard, used for thrusting or striking and now typically worn as part of ceremonial dress.

A sword is a bladed weapon intended for slashing or thrusting that is longer than a knife or dagger. The precise definition of the term varies with the historical epoch or the geographical region under consideration. A sword consists of a long blade attached to a hilt.

A bisento does not have a hilt. If you want to cite wikipedia, then it's curios how come the same source's page on sword include no mention of Bisento and pole-arms only being mentioned once as a weapon one type of sword was made to counter.

Googling "Glaive," a glaive was named after the word for sword due to resembling one, but was actually classified as a spear, not a sword.

The word "glaive" originated from French. Almost all etymologists derive it from either the Latin (gladius) or Celtic (*cladivos, cf. claymore) word for sword. Nevertheless, all the earliest attestations in both French and English refer to spears.[2] It is attested in this meaning in English roughly from the 14th century to the 16th.[3]

This under the section of "Other uses of the word," meaning that "glaive was a term used to describe weapons even when they weren't in the same classification. The citation immediately after that notes that the word glaive gaining the meaning of a sword didn't originate until the 15th century, while the glaive being classified as a spear dates back to the 14th century.

So all this arguing about whether or not a bisento is a sword is useless when:

1. It's never classified as a sword in One Piece

2. What classifies a sword has changed a lot through many eras and cultures

3. A bisento, and pretty much all pole-arms, do not meet the modern classification of a sword

Dannie

/
Immortal
Kin
1,640💸
Kumi
35💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What's actually absurd is this logic that Oda would create this title and have be the dream of one of the Strawhats only for it to boil down to a meaningless title. What's absurd is having the entire world acknowledge Mihawk's title, with not one shred of in-universe doubt to his title, and going "Nah, I bet Oda doesn't really mean it."

Also, to your claim that WSS doesn't mean you're stronger than someone:

1. The title is literally STRONGEST. Not most skilled. But STRONGEST.

2. Mihawk being the strongest of all swordsman is literally given IN THE MANGA

The description is literally "most powerful," and you're still gonna say "It's not about power, it's about skill."
Who said it was a meaningless title? You are still choosing to dance around the fact that they haven't fought each other in years, but still wanting to place a title that has nothing to do with them fighting each other and Mihawk being superior to Shanks, but choosing to auto place this man above a yonko.

Funny how you keep hyping up a title that is beneath the title of yonko.

Until we see a straight up confrontation between Mihawk and Shanks with Mihawk still having the title WSS, what you're saying is irrelevant.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Who said it was a meaningless title? You are still choosing to dance around the fact that they haven't fought each other in years, but still wanting to place a title that has nothing to do with them fighting each other and Mihawk being superior to Shanks, but choosing to auto place this man above a yonko.

Funny how you keep hyping up a title that is beneath the title of yonko.

Until we see a straight up confrontation between Mihawk and Shanks with Mihawk still having the title WSS, what you're saying is irrelevant.
You are. By continually making it seem as though the title of WSS has no credibility by saying "They haven't in so long though."

Despite the fact that people in OP have peaks. There's also the fact that Shanks and Mihawk dont have to demonstrate who's stronger by fighting each other. If Mihawk defeats Shanks, and Shanks never shows anything in any of his adventures since to demonstrate he's gotten stronger then you know he's still weaker. This goes double if Mihawk HAS demonstrated he's stronger since.

The fact of the matter is, even if it's possible that Shanks surpassed Mihawk yet and the world doesn't know it, there's no evidence to support this claim. What we DO have is Mihawk's title of WSS being acknowledged as absolute both in and out of universe, and nothing has come to change that.

The title of Yonko does not supercede WSS because WSS is a title of individuality while Yonko includes the power of your crew and influence across the seas. What's funny is how you all danced around Bogard pointing out the original Japanese text did not say the Yonko are the strongest individually.

Until we see Shanks demonstrate he's either outside of WSS's scope or he's better than Mihawk, everything you say is blatant bullshit.

Dannie

/
Immortal
Kin
1,640💸
Kumi
35💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You are. By continually making it seem as though the title of WSS has no credibility by saying "They haven't in so long though."
I'm not discrediting the title nor am I calling it meaningless. You are just underrating Shanks, and assuming that he has not gotten any stronger(or stronger than Mihawk rather) and using the title of WSS to illustrate that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks just because they used to be evenly matched long ago, and because that since Shanks is a swordsman and Mihawk happens to have the title of WSS, well you are simply just thinking literally and not looking at this objectively.

Fact of the matter is that it has been, give or take, 15 years since their last duel and we don't know when Mihawk received the title WSS or when Shanks became a yonko.

You can keep using the WSS argument all you like. It's not like Oda outright stated that "Mihawk is the WSS so that even puts him above the likes of Shanks", so you're not even using anything 100% concrete here.

Despite the fact that people in OP have peaks. There's also the fact that Shanks and Mihawk dont have to demonstrate who's stronger by fighting each other. If Mihawk defeats Shanks, and Shanks never shows anything in any of his adventures since to demonstrate he's gotten stronger then you know he's still weaker. This goes double if Mihawk HAS demonstrated he's stronger since.
They don't have to actually fight each other. They can simply engage in battle with different opponents and depending on whose opponent is stronger, that will determine who is stronger, versus you jumping the gun and placing Mihawk above Shanks without any actual feats.

The fact of the matter is, even if it's possible that Shanks surpassed Mihawk yet and the world doesn't know it, there's no evidence to support this claim. What we DO have is Mihawk's title of WSS being acknowledged as absolute both in and out of universe, and nothing has come to change that.
And here we go again with this crap. Sticking to this old script when we have not even seen Shanks in battle at all, with the most obvious too boot that he is a damn yonko of all sorts, but sure. Let's all believe in Oda's "obvious" words that Mihawk is stronger than a yonko who just so happens to not have even went all out in a fight yet. Kay.

The title of Yonko does not supercede WSS because WSS is a title of individuality while Yonko includes the power of your crew and influence across the seas. What's funny is how you all danced around Bogard pointing out the original Japanese text did not say the Yonko are the strongest individually.
No one is denying this, but a weak pirate cannot become yonko and it has been proven time and time how devastating the yonko are individually.

What's even more funny is how even without Marco or Jozu, WB was still seen as a serious threat individually, so your little argument is kinda shit tbh.

Until we see Shanks demonstrate he's either outside of WSS's scope or he's better than Mihawk, everything you say is blatant bullshit.
Your claim is just as, if not, even more baseless and absurd than mine.

>Mihawk is a Shichibukai. Shanks is a yonko. This automatically places Shanks above Mihawk based on portrayal alone.

>Mihawk has the title WSS. Shanks has not touched swords with Mihawk in over 15 years so this does not even pertain to being stronger than Shanks currently.

>Mihawk has used one of his strongest slashes in the marineford war, and it ended up getting thrown away by a WB commander. We have not even seen Shanks use one of his strongest moves yet nor have we seen him seriously spar or fight with anyone, and he pretty much made Blackbeard shit his pants and run away just from appearing in front of him. Funny because if it was Mihawk instead he would have gave no shits and still kept causing havoc on Marineford. Dat portrayal and threat level of a yonko right?

Last edited:

HashiraMadara

Elite
Kin
121💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

WTF how can you have so much patience! When someone denies Shanks has shown nothing to prove he's > WSS as manga stated he shall remain a swordsman henceforth weaker than Mihawk. That's common sense, whew DO NOT REPLY TO HIM! THE THREAD IS FINISHED, IT'S PURE DENIAL AT THIS POINT.

Skull Knight

Veteran
Kin
1,523💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is the Yonko hype manga showed

Garp said Yonkos are 4 most powerful Pirates. Notice how it doesn't mention anything regarding their crew or alliances. It clearly says they are 4 powerful pirate captains who are like Emperors.

About the bisento thing scroll down the wiki(Glaive) and read the very next line:
Around the same time it also began being used as a poetic word for sword (this is the main use of the word in Modern French)
The word originated from French not English(who consider it as spear).So to be fair and logical it should be classify as part spear part sword.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
I'm not discrediting the title nor am I calling it meaningless.
Yes, you are. There's no way around it. When you say things like "Shanks and Mihawk haven't fought in 15 years and that's the only reason Mihawk still has the title," then you're discrediting the title because you're directly stating that someone having the title of WSS doesn't mean they're actually WSS.

You are just underrating Shanks, and assuming that he has not gotten any stronger(or stronger than Mihawk rather)
How is this underrating Shanks? I can just as easily say you're dickriding Shanks by assuming he got stronger than Mihawk and the world doesn't know and Mihawk didn't get stronger as well not because the manga implied it, not because the manga gave you a single scrap of facts to back up the claims with, but because you feel like it being the truth. That's fanboying.

and using the title of WSS to illustrate that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks just because they used to be evenly matched long ago, and because that since Shanks is a swordsman and Mihawk happens to have the title of WSS, well you are simply just thinking literally and not looking at this objectively.
There has been absolutely no reason NOT to take the title literally. Oda has never given any hint, indication, or fact to back up these claims of yours that are being pulled from thin air. You're making up things on the spot with NOTHING to back it up in the manga whatsoever, and then touting yourself like you're smarter than everyone else for it.

Fact of the matter is that it has been, give or take, 15 years since their last duel and we don't know when Mihawk received the title WSS or when Shanks became a yonko.
This would only defeat your point further. If Shanks and Mihawk became Emperor and WSS after the clashes, then it just shows that whatever feat Shanks managed to become one of the Yonko wasn't as good as whatever Mihawk did to become WSS. Otherwise, had Shanks showed superiority, he'd be labelled the WSS in addition to being labelled one of the Yonko.

You can keep using the WSS argument all you like. It's not like Oda outright stated that "Mihawk is the WSS so that even puts him above the likes of Shanks", so you're not even using anything 100% concrete here.
Oda has cited Mihawk as the most powerful swordsman. Shanks is portrayed as a swordsman. Therefore, Mihawk is more powerful than Shanks. Not only is it concrete, it's simple math. The fact of the matter is, you have no evidence that this is NOT the case, while the nature of this argument in of itself grants it virtue to be evidence: Mihawk is called the most powerful of a particular group of people, Shanks is within that group, the conclusion is obvious.

They don't have to actually fight each other. They can simply engage in battle with different opponents and depending on whose opponent is stronger, that will determine who is stronger, versus you jumping the gun and placing Mihawk above Shanks without any actual feats.
You realize this is exactly what I said, that the world can compare their feats separately against other people in other adventures and determine who's WSS? You realize that this defeats your argument that Mihawk's title doesn't apply to Shanks because they haven't fought in 15 years? Where's that Family Guy gif of Brian and Stewie shooting themselves in the foot, didn't think I'd get to use it twice in one thread.

And here we go again with this crap. Sticking to this old script when we have not even seen Shanks in battle at all, with the most obvious too boot that he is a damn yonko of all sorts, but sure. Let's all believe in Oda's "obvious" words that Mihawk is stronger than a yonko who just so happens to not have even went all out in a fight yet. Kay.
Here you go again touting the title of Yonko when it's been well established that the power of the Yonko are NOt based on individuality.

No one is denying this, but a weak pirate cannot become yonko and it has been proven time and time how devastating the yonko are individually.
And a pirate as strong as Whitebeard can't become one of the Yonko without a serious crew and influence behind him.

You saying that an Emperor can't be that weak and has to be some level of devastating is not at all relevant in the context of the discussion. Shanks becoming an Emperor while Mihawk hasn't doesn't mean that Shanks is inherently more devastating than Mihawk; Mihawk can be more devastating than Shanks on an individual level, but because Shanks has the backing of a powerful crew and widespread influence through territories and allies while Mihawk runs completely solo is why Shanks has that title. Swap Mihawk into Shanks' place with Mihawk helming Shanks' crew and territories, bet your ass Mihawk is gonna be regarded as one of the Yonko AND WSS to boot.

What's even more funny is how even without Marco or Jozu, WB was still seen as a serious threat individually, so your little argument is kinda shit tbh.
And you think Mihawk wouldn't be?

In fact, let's do a little benchmarking, shall we? You claim that the title of Yonko supercedes Mihawk's level and they have demonstrated to be more devastating than him. And yet, WB's best feat at MF was pretty much matched by Mihawk. WB's greatest display of destructive power was raising the two tidal waves. Let's look at another Emperor: Big Mom. Her wave against the SHs pales in comparison to not just two of the waves that WB raised up, but one of them. And Mihawk sliced through one of those waves entirely in one sword swing.

Not only did Mihawk slice through a wave whose size puts Big Mom's to shame(and thereby establishing that he's capable of producing attacks more devastating than her, as his slash was even bigger than her Almighty Nation attack as well), but that was a slash Mihawk sent playing around with Luffy. Likely not even with a serious slash, Mihawk shows himself to be more devastating than one of the Yonko. Putting YOUR little argument right down the shitter.

Your claim is just as, if not, even more baseless and absurd than mine.
Shanks is portrayed in the manga as a swordsman. Mihawk is called the most powerful of all swordsmen. Nope, manga pretty much directly says it.

>Mihawk is a Shichibukai. Shanks is a yonko. This automatically places Shanks above Mihawk based on portrayal alone.
A Shichibukai who's already demonstrated greater power than Big Mom, one of these Yonko. He's also a Shichibukai who's demonstrated as being the final goal as one of the Strawhats. I was going to say this puts him on the same level as Shanks in terms of story portrayal, and then I realized that Mihawk is Zoro's primary goal, while Shanks relates to Luffy's goal on a secondary level, so Mihawk is actually ahead of Shanks slightly.

>Mihawk has the title WSS. Shanks has not touched swords with Mihawk in over 15 years so this does not even pertain to being stronger than Shanks currently.
You yourself stated that, and I quote:

So which one is it? Don't try to backpedal and ignore this either when you realize you ****ed up, I wanna hear you actually explain how you go from "Shanks and Mihawk haven't clashed, so they can't be compared" to "They don't have to fight each other, we can compare what they do" to "Shanks and Mihawk haven't clashed again."

>Mihawk has used one of his strongest slashes in the marineford war, and it ended up getting thrown away by a WB commander.
Once again, no top tier is capable of one-shotting another top tier. Throw Akainu, Whitebeard, Kaido or Shanks himself in Mihawk's place, one of them were breaking Jozu's defenses with one attack only, even if it was their strongest.

We have not even seen Shanks use one of his strongest moves yet nor have we seen him seriously spar or fight with anyone, and he pretty much made Blackbeard shit his pants and run away just from appearing in front of him. Funny because if it was Mihawk instead he would have gave no shits and still kept causing havoc on Marineford. Dat portrayal and threat level of a yonko right?
It doesn't matter if we haven't seen Shanks go all out. What matters is that:

1. We haven't seem him do anything better than Mihawk
2. Mihawk's status as WSS supercedes Shanks'. So until we have confirmation in some form that Mihawk is inferior to Shanks, we can assume that anything Shanks can do, Mihawk can do and more.

And yes, that gives greater portrayal to the power of the Yonko...which includes their crew and influence. If Shanks had shown up to MF by himself with no one else, BB wouldn't have stepped down. If Shanks showed up with the same amount of power but no Emperor title, he would have been trashed.
WTF how can you have so much patience! When someone denies Shanks has shown nothing to prove he's > WSS as manga stated he shall remain a swordsman henceforth weaker than Mihawk. That's common sense, whew DO NOT REPLY TO HIM! THE THREAD IS FINISHED, IT'S PURE DENIAL AT THIS POINT.
This is probably gonna be last reply to Dannie lmfao
This is the Yonko hype manga showed

Garp said Yonkos are 4 most powerful Pirates. Notice how it doesn't mention anything regarding their crew or alliances. It clearly says they are 4 powerful pirate captains who are like Emperors.
Original Japanese text refers to them not as strongest pirates, but great pirates who reign over the New World. The inclusion of their crew is implicit due to the fact that a person can only become an Emperor with a substantial crew and influence over the NW. You can be as strong as Whitebeard and Kaido, but if you have a crew full of Usopps, one boat, and a town to your name, you're never becomining one of the Yonko.

About the bisento thing scroll down the wiki(Glaive) and read the very next line:
Around the same time it also began being used as a poetic word for sword (this is the main use of the word in Modern French)
The word originated from French not English(who consider it as spear).So to be fair and logical it should be classify as part spear part sword.
Nope. Its origins in French were also that of a spear, that didn't come from English. Usage of glaive to refer to a sword didn't come about until the 15th century, and even then, it referred to swords in a poetic and not a literal manner.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Google it and u will see Glaive exact meaning is a Sword.
I did. Yielded the same results. Originated as a pole-arm, and in modern times now to refers to swords. Does not mean that a pole-arm is a type of sword, it means usage of the word changed. This fits in with what I cited earlier about what's classified as a sword changes based on geographical area and time period. Also fits in with how I noted that a glaive didn't refer to swords until a century after the word came to be.

Skull Knight

Veteran
Kin
1,523💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I did. Yielded the same results. Originated as a pole-arm, and in modern times now to refers to swords. Does not mean that a pole-arm is a type of sword, it means usage of the word changed. This fits in with what I cited earlier about what's classified as a sword changes based on geographical area and time period. Also fits in with how I noted that a glaive didn't refer to swords until a century after the word came to be.
So if that thing is now called a sword then it means it is a sword now. I don't see a problem here. Glaive originally originated from various names of sword and finally people have again put it into the same category from which it originated.
Another thing is that there is no record of bisento used in history. It's closed cousins Nagamaki is also consider as sword and Naginata in 10th- 12th century was also called Long Sword. Later it's definition changed.
Note: Both Nagamaki and Naginata are pole weapons used in Japan and was consider as sword even before people used Glaive.