Eos

Kin
71💸
Kumi
4,624💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Not a good idea, read the previous conversation between me and @Shanks , the reason we want to make a channel in discord is to get bigger population from discord so it should be accessible by everyone
I read through them, but my suggestion is still the same. Having a squad for writing wouldn't deter writers from the forum. It'd have the same affect as having something like #writing.I'm not saying only make a squad, I'm saying it would be a good addition whether a #writing channel was ever made or not.

The only problem with having a writing section in discord is that Discord isn't really meant for lengthy messages. The users could talk about writing and writing processes, but there wouldn't be an efficient way to share or promote their works. Having a squad wouldn't be too much different except the chat wouldn't be open to public. Most writers are going to want to promote their work and read others.

mocchin

Kween of qts
Kin
588💸
Kumi
518💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I read through them, but my suggestion is still the same. Having a squad for writing wouldn't deter writers from the forum. It'd have the same affect as having something like #writing.I'm not saying only make a squad, I'm saying it would be a good addition whether a #writing channel was ever made or not.

The only problem with having a writing section in discord is that Discord isn't really meant for lengthy messages. The users could talk about writing and writing processes, but there wouldn't be an efficient way to share or promote their works. Having a squad wouldn't be too much different except the chat wouldn't be open to public. Most writers are going to want to promote their work and read others.
Hence why you would send links, some writers such as Ai have a web page, or some sort of website where they can publish their works. The discord channel she would like to create could just be to talk about writing ideas, meet other writers and publish their works to a wider audience. This way, there will not be a large message in discord(discord has a 2000 character limit), but there will just be links that will send whomever clicks it to the story/chapter that the composer creates.

Reactions: Michael92

Eos

Kin
71💸
Kumi
4,624💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
And my stance will still be the same, it's not just about me or a small amount of writers, we need readers, we are trying to revive a section that has been inactive for years.
I understand that. I'm only saying it as a suggestion in addition to the channel idea. Having a squad doesn't hurt to advertise the cause not to mention you could more easily host your own small events within it to promote activity.

AI380

Elite
Kin
1,028💸
Kumi
581💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Having a channel would be nice do remember squads are so down that half the time they seem to be hidden unless u scroll
Hence why you would send links, some writers such as Ai have a web page, or some sort of website where they can publish their works. The discord channel she would like to create could just be to talk about writing ideas, meet other writers and publish their works to a wider audience. This way, there will not be a large message in discord(discord has a 2000 character limit), but there will just be links that will send whomever clicks it to the story/chapter that the composer creates.
Yes that.

And not just me, all other writers as well, most of the time the section is totally hidden, why would we need a channel which is also hidden again?

PyrrhaNikos

Legendary
Kin
43💸
Kumi
3,022💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
we should do some for fun weekly writing events, note these arent supposed to be full-blown like dubs original contest, could be a poem on a theme, show us a picture and have us give some meaning,narrative or story behind it etc. small writing prompts like you would do in school for fun

Reactions: Michael92 and AI380

AI380

Elite
Kin
1,028💸
Kumi
581💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
we should do some for fun weekly writing events, note these arent supposed to be full-blown like dubs original contest, could be a poem on a theme, show us a picture and have us give some meaning,narrative or story behind it etc. small writing prompts like you would do in school for fun
I was thinking about that too, maybe we can plan some light and fun event that associate with writing, although I haven't figured out any activities yet

Rei

Legendary
Kin
5,001,259💸
Kumi
527💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Interesting discussion. I have been talking about this with the rest of the staff. We haven't reached a decision yet and I am unsure if we should keep the subsections we have now.

The fact that there are like 10 spam posts here is not helping either.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,655💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What have I missed? I gotta get back into all this whole chatting and fanfiction area
Yes you do indeed! A lot of interesting topics going now, even Tiquan (Cobra ) gauged in. Time to read up on it all Peter =)
If this is going to be a success, we old-timers need to bring our A game as well (but if nothing else, at least from a mentoring/advising perspective. Going by our experience alone could easily help differentiate what stuff to do and what not to do so to speak and help this revival for the future of this section. That way it could and would be easier and more justifyable for us to consider getting back into it as well if it gets around to running smoothly and actively again).

It's no longer enough for just you, I, Cobra, Germanicus, Sophie, Chakra, Uzu and the rest to keep this section alive, like we did for years after every other major player like Roku, Escorpiius and Pervy left. If we didn't persist on keeping it and the contest alive like we did, it would have died down much sooner for sure. Now we need to work with every new inspiring writer out there from WLA and Discord if we're going to have a shot at this, but it won't be easy that is for sure. Like Cobra mentioned earlier, we definitely need to start small in order to gain attraction little by little. There's simply no way to get this revival going by having new writers alone, the readers are fundamental too.

Now this is a great idea. Start small to get big in the long run! The format of the OG contests used to be "enter with 3 chapters" and that was it. No length requirement, but it had to be structured in a sense that made it readable and in accordance to the rules (grammar, punctation, etc), no spamming 3 sentence stuff. With the last year after Lawliet retired from hosting and I retired from participating, Reborn experimented with several different formats. One of them was open to all writing, even poems if I'm not mistaken and they were instead judged by him personally with help of the occasional secret member to either help with the tie-break or the work load. Voting was still present but it was entirely cosmetic. A lot of people found this format more appealing and fair, but it also took much more work to do, hence why it was narrowed down to one piece of work per writer. Like I mentioned earlier though, since readers were non-existent this had to be done. It couldn't continue to be a contest based on votes with little to no voters voting. So yeah the "ending phase" of the last few Writing contests were similar to what you are proposing indeed. This could work.

Interesting discussion. I have been talking about this with the rest of the staff. We haven't reached a decision yet and I am unsure if we should keep the subsections we have now.
If you've been talking to Sara amongst them, I do remember that she was persistant on not changing the section names too much and adding sub-sections galore. But she did make the Fanfiction section into Writer's Club with the two subsections Fanfiction and Poems instead at least, giving us this very thread/chat to begin with. We did try to ask for more changes like for instance with the Fanfiction name of the subsection back then too since barely anyone of those that were left in 2014-2016 were writing Fanfics anymore, but I don't think she could call all the shots alone. That plus the facts I mentioned before. I do hope she's back for a more permanent visit though, a huge part of this section practically died when she left. Literally... It only took half a year in fact before it was completely dead, lol.

So yeah, hopefully we'll figure something out. Still in the early phase of this new site though so I for one don't expect a huge surge of new members rushing in and into this section first thing. Thanks for taking your time with this though Maria, recalling back this section was your baby to begin with, haha ;D

PS: Sorry if I made this a Wall you guys, I know I promised to wait with those. Guess you could say I'm finally back to old me huh...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: AI380

AI380

Elite
Kin
1,028💸
Kumi
581💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Which means the small events have to be more readers base, need to figure up what type of activities that the readers can actually participate without really knowing how to write.

Another point here is that we need to encourage them to join, so maybe some small rewards will help. Small rewards like medals will be sufficient.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,655💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Which means the small events have to be more readers base, need to figure up what type of activities that the readers can actually participate without really knowing how to write.

Another point here is that we need to encourage them to join, so maybe some small rewards will help. Small rewards like medals will be sufficient.
Yeah that is definitely something to consider. The Fanfiction contest always stood out amongst NB's contests in terms of "needs from voters." Nobody really bothered to read through 3 chapters of 5-7 different writers and then make their vote each month in the end. Quick reads were a given, even for us writers casting votes while competing against each other. My 3 chapters participations alone usually landed around the 15-30 000 words frame each time, so yeah :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

If we're going to pick up voting as the main format again, there definitely needs to be a change in the beginning phase, lol. For instance where you have like a theme or a short snippet/brief/overview of a story, and then you write your own version of it within a maximum length type of deal (like we did in elementary school, like Pyrrha mentioned), so that the readers, or any voters for that matter, can easily cast their vote and not be demanded to sit down for hours upon end to actually do so. In the end though, partaking in Writing contests with your own written and released stories on here is always going to be the most appealing to the writers themself. Call it a reward for the work they put in them so to speak, so yeah, maybe it can be narrowed down to 1 chapter per entry for instance in the long run. We don't even need voting to begin with if we have enough staff/panel of judges to decide instead, sort of like with ProfileoftheMonth used to be.

But now I'm rambling on, end point is that there can't be a contest without awards, lol. Seeing how the awards have made it from NB to AB, they are definitely going to be a thing. If we'll have another revamp on them too in the end though remains to be seen I guess. For now it's all speculation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: On a different note, I don't know if you "survived" the migration phase @Reborn , but I sure would like to hear your take on all this and the discussion above if you are willing and got time as well. @Lawliet too eventually ^__^