[Discussion] Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Do you accept evolution by natural selection?

• Yes

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Yes, but not natural selection as the only mechanism

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Yes, but I think God started it and guided it

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Evolution is a conspiracy and a lie

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I don't know/don't care

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

NarutoKage2

Veteran
Kin
9💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Firstly, this is NOT a religious thread. Kindly keep that elsewhere, thanks.

Charles Darwin was the first to formulate the theory of evolution by natural selection, about 150 years ago, by observing the variation in several species of animals ranging from finches, dogs and tortoises to eventually humans(he dealt with human evolution in a separate book).

Since then, scientists have discovered things like DNA and RNA, and while there is no scientific objection to evolution itself, there are objections to the possible Mechanisms by which evolution occurs, I.e by means other than natural selection.
This is a part of biology, and I'm sure people have studied at least its basics. But I noticed quite a few people objecting to it , here and on other sites/places as well.
So, keeping your religious convictions aside, why do you consider this theory valid/invalid as an intellectual/person on PURELY secular grounds?
E g: I think evolution is the best explanation for phenomenon such as dinosaur fossil bones and for the huge varieties of animals with vestigial(formerly useful organs) that we find in the natural world, such as dolphins with lungs and running birds(ostriches) with wings.

Your thoughts?

Dark Sonic

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I remember that Charles Darwin study. It was interesting to say the least.

Especially when you see various features of every animal.

Last edited:

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Besides religion, I don't think many people will object to it.

I entertain the idea a lot, but for religious purposes I don't believe in it (not trying to bring religion in).

I understand evolution and natural selection but I don't know how it works as a mechanism, tbh.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Yes, there's evidence of it occurring, though not enough to assert it as a fact

Your immune system is an example of evolution.

I don't believe that humans are descendants of apes, that's for sure.
I hate it break it to you...actually, I don't, I kind of enjoy this, but human beings are a type of ape.

Last edited:

Made in Heaven

Supreme
Kin
5💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't believe in evolution on a personal level, not due to my religion. In fact, some muslims even accept the theory, provided humans are left out of the picture. So it isn't necessarily in conflict with Islam.

NarutoKage2

Veteran
Kin
9💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Besides religion, I don't think many people will object to it.

I entertain the idea a lot, but for religious purposes I don't believe in it (not trying to bring religion in).

I understand evolution and natural selection but I don't know how it works as a mechanism, tbh.
Why object to what you don't understand? That doesn't make sense, its like saying I don't understand black holes, so for religious purposes I don't believe in it
And for the record there are MANY religious scientists who believe in evolution.
. Natural selection is very simple. An animal of any given species, is able to survive(not die, for w.e reasons) and live long enough to pass on its genes to the next generation(have babies) while some animals of the same species aren't (again, for w.e reasons). The traits(characteristics of the animal) that allowed it to survive and pass on its genes, are transferred to the next generation and thus those specific traits are 'selected' since they survived , obviously, while less favourable traits in any given environment for survival don't.
Why?
I don't believe that humans are descendants of apes, that's for sure.[/QUOTE
]
Any reason/s why? And BTW, its not humans descended from apes, but both having a common ancestor. But that's also irrelevant, tell me , for secular reasons why you don't accept it scientifically(leaving any bias). ?

oxtopus

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Dunno,i kinda partially believe,but I still think it's one of those things that can't be explained or is false like the big-bang. I believe humans evolve,but I consider the human mind in this case,i don't believe we were apes,but regarding other species i'm completely accepting of the theory.

Uzumaki Menma

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
People who disagree with evolution are mostly religious. What they misunderstand is creationism and evolution, while different in definition, may also be quite parallel in the sense that one could've created the other.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Nope I do not. Only evolution of Pokemon makes sense to me. Not mankind.
Evolution is the basis of your immune system. It's why vaccines work. The reason Europeans were immune to, or able to stronger withstand, the diseases they brought that killed the Natives were because their immune systems had been exposed to them for generations and generations, giving the systems the advantage of adapting to them to withstand them. That's evolution.

Reactions: Conspirator.