[Discussion] Why I don't like Itachi Uchiha

Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think he's an overrated character whose achievements were basically: killing his parents, who allowed it because they didn't want to harm him, abusing kid Sasuke, who wasn't old enough to be able to defend himself, beating Nagato with Naruto and B in a 3 on 1 fight, and beating Kabuto with Sasuke in a 2 on 1 fight and some other characters who are defenseless against basic Sharingan genjutsu.

Itachi fans also brag about how he could've killed Sasuke in their fight if he wanted to. The truth is, he was keeping up with Sasuke solely through having a more advanced Sharingan. Actually, the fact that the 21-year-old Itachi needs MS to best a 15-year-old Sasuke who's using basic Sharingan proves his inferiority. If he wasn't using the Mangekyou, his little brother would've made short work of him.

When Deidara was talking down to Sasuke about how he is nothing without the Sharingan, that talk was actually meant for Itachi more than Sasuke himself, because at that point he didn't even know Sasuke and he had a grudge against Itachi, who is really nothing without the Sharingan. Itachi hasn't shown any formidable jutsus that he acquired through training outside of what was given to him by the Sharingan. His case is way worse than Sasuke's.

I also don't see Itachi killing his own parents and traumatizing his kid brother or that whole Uchiha massacre as heroic. No matter what were his intentions. I don't know what message is Kishimoto trying to deliver by portraying something like that as heroic. That's deeply messed up.

Also, the idea that he was protecting the village and Sasuke all these years is very weird to me because the Akatsuki collected 7 tailed beasts, and Deidara and Obito came very close to killing Sasuke and he did nothing about it. He was just kind of there.

So, yeah. The character doesn't make sense to me and I think he was given more credit than he deserved.

Last edited:

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I always thought Itachi was overrated as far as a fan favorite. When I rewatched the Manga and Anime, aside from the Uchiha-Konoha Conflict and the brief moments we saw him, he barely made an appearance. Although he was an impactful character, I don't see how any superfan can ride for him that hard.

I'm not going to debate the whole Sasuke/Itachi fight.

It was not about being heroic and anyone who suggests that has a small brain or trolling. He made do with the situation he had and the limited time he used, to prevent a Great Shinobi War. He thought of the level of a Hokage, and not the clan. The Third Hokage explains this. It has more to do with the "greater good [of society]," but I think it's debatable.

Itachi's character was made to humanize shinobi - "If you were put in his position, what would you do differently?" They portrayed Itachi as a mere weapon or tool, but for Sasuke, a monster who killed his family. But once Itachi finally revealed the truth, we finally got to see how he felt. The Naruto series is about understanding others, choices, etc. If you don't understand the Naruto series, then you would not understand Itachi. That's why you think his character does not make sense.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I always thought Itachi was overrated as far as a fan favorite. When I rewatched the Manga and Anime, aside from the Uchiha-Konoha Conflict and the brief moments we saw him, he barely made an appearance. Although he was an impactful character, I don't see how any superfan can ride for him that hard.

I'm not going to debate the whole Sasuke/Itachi fight.

It was not about being heroic and anyone who suggests that has a small brain or trolling. He made do with the situation he had and the limited time he used, to prevent a Great Shinobi War. He thought of the level of a Hokage, and not the clan. The Third Hokage explains this. It has more to do with the "greater good [of society]," but I think it's debatable.

Itachi's character was made to humanize shinobi - "If you were put in his position, what would you do differently?" They portrayed Itachi as a mere weapon or tool, but for Sasuke, a monster who killed his family. But once Itachi finally revealed the truth, we finally got to see how he felt. The Naruto series is about understanding others, choices, etc. If you don't understand the Naruto series, then you would not understand Itachi. That's why you think his character does not make sense.
R u tolkin to me???..

Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I guess the first Hokage had a small brain or was trolling when he called Itachi a greater shinobi than himself, which is the definition of a hero in the Naruto world when all he did was kill his own parents.

And I don't think it's debatable. If this happened in real life, Itachi needs to be checked for mental health issues and the higher-ups of the village need to be removed, instead of keeping their positions even after the massacre. Including the third Hokage.

For Itachi, the whole massacre supposedly was meant to keep Sasuke alive first and protect the village second. Because if the village undertook this mission, they will kill even the children. Deidara and the masked Madara went to fight Sasuke with the intention of killing him, and they nearly succeeded. The Akatsuki also collected several bijuus, which is definitely not good news for the village. All happened under Itachi's watch and he didn't do anything to stop them. Which is why I said the character doesn't make sense. What was he even doing with the Akatsuki at that point?

Also, during his fight with Sasuke, he told him that Madara is alive and that he helped him massacre the Uchiha. Basically, he was sending Sasuke on another quest for revenge where Sasuke was most likely going to die because there's no way Sasuke at that age was going to beat a legendary Uchiha like Madara, which makes this whole "protecting Sasuke" thing questionable to me. I also don't understand why didn't Itachi deal with that Madara himself all these years instead of sending his little brother after him. I think Madara is more dangerous to the village than an Uchiha coup or even a shinobi war. Yet, Itachi let him grow stronger and did nothing to him.

Let's not also forget the unnecessary child abuse he did to Sasuke, or inspiring him to kill his friends, which Sasuke attempted to do multiple times. Then I'm supposed to see him as a good guy, which is something I'm struggling with. He didn't do a single straight-up good thing when he was alive.

I don't sympathize with him at all. Not all atrocities are justifiable under the pretense of the greater good. And I don't like it when a writer tries to shove his own views down my throat. And I feel like Kishimoto is trying to do that through Itachi. That's why this character is irritating to me.

Also, what was that?
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't know how you can take points away from Itachi for using his own skillset. Itachi was stronger than Sasuke because he had better sharingan? Yes, lol. Someone else in agreement with you taking points off Itachi because he has Susano'o? Itachi probably could have finished Sasuke a lot faster if he wasn't sick. Itachi is an Uchiha, sharingan is one of their greatest tools, how can you use it against Itachi for using the tools and gifts he has available? And if it was that easy for other Uchiha, why was Itachi renowned among his clan? I don't see Sasuke even coming half as strong as Itachi, if he didn't have his older brother to chase.

I kinda agree that Kishi was delivering a weird message and that Itachi's actions weren't very heroic.

Reactions: minamoto

Yin

Veteran
Kin
1,993💸
Kumi
1,113💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
whole argument started off so poorly lol it was explained why he did all of what you listed with the main contribution of why you dislike him based on personal dislikes but you expressed it as fact. how you are saying things happened and why arent even how they happened and it was explained why. so again you started off very poorly. everything he did he literally did for sasuke down from killing off the clan to "bullying" him. literally everything was explained. would you rather an entirely killed off uchiha clan or one with itachi and sasuke alive minus madara (who was hardly even an uchiha anymore) and obito or having itachi save sasuke and sasuke basically being the savior of the world along with the other shinobi? would konoha even exist without him? would a lot of things exist or go as planned in a good way without him? probably not and that is all attributed to the decisions itachi made including making him stronger by force. this should be an article about how you dislike danzo and the hidden leaf the way it started off . you demonized one of the most selfless characters for no reason. itachi didnt even have a life of his own between being anbu at such a young age and being an outcast between the massacre of the uchiha on forward... also a lot of the arguments you make after those first few bars are also fodder and nitpicked..... and without whole research which everyone knows when itachi fought sasuke he was not only already dying but he literally died on purpose... like, literally let sasuke kill him..... you say him killing his family isn't hero even though good came out of it yet if he didn't they would have all died including itachi and sasuke as the leaf would have exterminated them anyway. idk your angle bro its a hella strange type of logic to me, if im missing something please do infprm. if this is all based on personal opinion, i get it although i dont agree. if you are trying to convey facts, youre wrong. about all it, 100% hahaha

• Wow
Reactions: minamoto

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Noteworthy points, but perhaps we should reconsider character opinions as opinions of characters and not some divine decree from the authors?

how can you use it against Itachi for using the tools and gifts he has available
@Yin
Read the title, its a subjective post. Are we not allowed to express our preferences anymore?

Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
whole argument started off so poorly lol it was explained why he did all of what you listed with the main contribution of why you dislike him based on personal dislikes but you expressed it as fact. how you are saying things happened and why arent even how they happened and it was explained why. so again you started off very poorly. everything he did he literally did for sasuke down from killing off the clan to "bullying" him. literally everything was explained. would you rather an entirely killed off uchiha clan or one with itachi and sasuke alive minus madara (who was hardly even an uchiha anymore) and obito or having itachi save sasuke and sasuke basically being the savior of the world along with the other shinobi? would konoha even exist without him? would a lot of things exist or go as planned in a good way without him? probably not and that is all attributed to the decisions itachi made including making him stronger by force. this should be an article about how you dislike danzo and the hidden leaf the way it started off . you demonized one of the most selfless characters for no reason. itachi didnt even have a life of his own between being anbu at such a young age and being an outcast between the massacre of the uchiha on forward... also a lot of the arguments you make after those first few bars are also fodder and nitpicked..... and without whole research which everyone knows when itachi fought sasuke he was not only already dying but he literally died on purpose... like, literally let sasuke kill him..... you say him killing his family isn't hero even though good came out of it yet if he didn't they would have all died including itachi and sasuke as the leaf would have exterminated them anyway. idk your angle bro its a hella strange type of logic to me, if im missing something please do infprm. if this is all based on personal opinion, i get it although i dont agree. if you are trying to convey facts, youre wrong. about all it, 100% hahaha

I'm not demonizing him. The story does. Itachi was kind of a horrible person in his own right who corrupted his brother:

And wasn't Itachi the one who told Hiruzen and Danzo about the coup? So the Uchiha wouldn't have been in danger without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angel90
Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't know how you can take points away from Itachi for using his own skillset. Itachi was stronger than Sasuke because he had better sharingan? Yes, lol. Someone else in agreement with you taking points off Itachi because he has Susano'o? Itachi probably could have finished Sasuke a lot faster if he wasn't sick. Itachi is an Uchiha, sharingan is one of their greatest tools, how can you use it against Itachi for using the tools and gifts he has available? And if it was that easy for other Uchiha, why was Itachi renowned among his clan? I don't see Sasuke even coming half as strong as Itachi, if he didn't have his older brother to chase.

I kinda agree that Kishi was delivering a weird message and that Itachi's actions weren't very heroic.
Wrong. Itachi died and Sasuke's stats and skills have only increased exponentially. There are thousands of motivations for Sasuke to become strong other than Itachi. And btw, Itachi only reached that level early on because he experienced war at a young age. And at war, kids mature early on. He was inferior to Shisui.
I keep saying, if Sasuke and Itachi were the same age, Sasuke would've wiped the floor with his fodder brother.

And the illness is really a poor excuse. It only slowed him down, but It had no effect on the fight because Itachi didn't engage Sasuke in hand to hand combat, it only happened in genjutsu. He just kept spamming his Mangekyou from a distance. So being slow doesn't matter.
And I take points from him because they weren't on equal footing when they were fighting.
One is a 21 year old fighting using the Mangekyou, and the other is a 15 year old fighting with the basic Sharingan. How is that fair? Yet, Itachi was getting overpowered for most of the fight.

It was only the Susano'o that really gave Itachi the upper hand in the fight.
Also, Sasuke probably wasn't even at full power during this fight or any fight that happened after Deidara till the war. He even still had the bandages on. That's probably why he went out of chakra earlier than Itachi.

Reactions: Infant and Angel90

Naruto X Hunter

Legendary
Kin
2,304💸
Kumi
1,263💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
He protected the village by keeping Tobi at bay as per their agreement of him not attacking the village if Itachi joined the Akatsuki. Itachi was terminally ill & the Akatsuki members worked seperately. So that can explained why he didn't attempt to hunt down & kill any members.

He wasn't portrayed as a hero, like Naruto for example. Only as a true shinobi. One who lived & died for the village from the shadows.

He was playing the role of villian. Logically Sasuke wouldn't copy the guy he hated to gain power in a way that despised him. And he didn't leave Sasuke defenseless. He implanted an Amaterasu to attack Tobi if they met. Tobi said he Itachi knew his secrets he would be dead. That shows he made sure to distance himself.

Kishimoto also had Itachi regret his actions stating he was wrong about things to Naruto & Sasuke. So he definitely wasn't trying to paint him as infallible.

Quality>Quantity.

Last edited:
Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He protected the village by keeping Tobi at bay as per their agreement of him not attacking the village if Itachi joined the Akatsuki. Itachi was terminally ill & the Akatsuki members worked seperately. So that can explained why he didn't attempt to hunt down & kill any members.

He wasn't portrayed as a hero, like Naruto for example. Only as a true shinobi. One who lived & died for the village from the shadows.

He was playing the role of villian. Logically Sasuke wouldn't copy the guy he hated to gain power in a way that despised him. And he didn't leave Sasuke defenseless. He implanted an Amaterasu to attack Tobi if they met. Tobi said he Itachi knew his secrets he would be dead. That shows he made sure to distance himself.

Kishimoto also had Itachi regret his actions stating he was wrong about things to Naruto & Sasuke. So he definitely wasn't trying to paint him as infallible.

Quality>Quantity.
There were no agreements between Obito and Itachi. Itachi didn't know that Obito knew the truth about him. And I think Obito feared the Uchiha clan in general, that's why he made sure they were dead before he established the Akatsuki. Fodderachi is not unique in that regard.
Sure I don't think Fodderachi, healthy or not, is strong enough to take the Akatsuki nor do I think he is the strongest among them. But he could've done a lot still. For example: why didn't he stop Kisame from capturing the 4th tail? This is a big crime in its own right.
Why didn't he even try to kill Obito during one of their meetings? Just... you know...TRY!

And Sasuke would have never thought about killing his friends if it wasn't for Itachi. He had a huge role in corrupting Sasuke just like Orochimaru and Obito. Sasuke didn't turn against Naruto until he reunited with Itachi, who told him that he "doesn't have enough hate" before proceeding to make the orphaned child witness his parents getting killed for 24 on repeat.
And sorry but Kishimoto did his utmost effort to portray Itachi as if he was some sort of a hero and make everyone sympathize with him. I see videos on the internet about the massacre showing the Uchiha dead bodies everywhere and kid Sasuke passing out from the trauma and people in the comments are like, "Can you imagine what Itachi has been through?" This is very twisted and very wrong lol. Kishimoto successfully making everyone sympathize with the murderer over the murdered people is morally questionable. If he tried to portray Itachi's actions as wrong at the very end, he didn't succeed. And he also didn't try to label these actions as they are, actual crimes.
And I don't think Itachi was just playing the role of a villain, he WAS a villain. He didn't do a single straight-up good thing while he was alive. It was all twisted $hit. He did nothing good.
The only good he ever did was stopping the Edo Tensei as an Edo himself but that's about it for that guy.

Angel90

Regular
Kin
3,288💸
Kumi
657💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Status
Awards
There were no agreements between Obito and Itachi. Itachi didn't know that Obito knew the truth about him. And I think Obito feared the Uchiha clan in general, that's why he made sure they were dead before he established the Akatsuki. Fodderachi is not unique in that regard.
Sure I don't think Fodderachi, healthy or not, is strong enough to take the Akatsuki nor do I think he is the strongest among them. But he could've done a lot still. For example: why didn't he stop Kisame from capturing the 4th tail? This is a big crime in its own right.
Why didn't he even try to kill Obito during one of their meetings? Just... you know...TRY!

And Sasuke would have never thought about killing his friends if it wasn't for Itachi. He had a huge role in corrupting Sasuke just like Orochimaru and Obito. Sasuke didn't turn against Naruto until he reunited with Itachi, who told him that he "doesn't have enough hate" before proceeding to make the orphaned child witness his parents getting killed for 24 on repeat.
And sorry but Kishimoto did his utmost effort to portray Itachi as if he was some sort of a hero and make everyone sympathize with him. I see videos on the internet about the massacre showing the Uchiha dead bodies everywhere and kid Sasuke passing out from the trauma and people in the comments are like, "Can you imagine what Itachi has been through?" This is very twisted and very wrong lol. Kishimoto successfully making everyone sympathize with the murderer over the murdered people is morally questionable. If he tried to portray Itachi's actions as wrong at the very end, he didn't succeed. And he also didn't try to label these actions as they are, actual crimes.
And I don't think Itachi was just playing the role of a villain, he WAS a villain. He didn't do a single straight-up good thing while he was alive. It was all twisted $hit. He did nothing good.
The only good he ever did was stopping the Edo Tensei as an Edo himself but that's about it for that guy.
I think Itachi not stoping Kisame for capturing 4 tails because Kisame would see something is not right and Itachi isnt actually a bad guy

Kin
348💸
Kumi
202💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think Itachi not stoping Kisame for capturing 4 tails because Kisame would see something is not right and Itachi isnt actually a bad guy
Which would be the lesser evil than having the Akatsuki capture the 4 tails. I don't even know what was the point of Itachi being with the Akatsuki. What did that achieve?

Naruto X Hunter

Legendary
Kin
2,304💸
Kumi
1,263💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
There were no agreements between Obito and Itachi. Itachi didn't know that Obito knew the truth about him.
You must be registered to see images

As far as we know they only met in person once (about the Uchiha massacre). Akatsuki had meetings through holograms.

And Sasuke would have never thought about killing his friends if it wasn't for Itachi.
Sure, but the chances of Sasuke copying the guy he hated, gaining power in a way he despises is very low.

And sorry but Kishimoto did his utmost effort to portray Itachi as if he was some sort of a hero and make everyone sympathize with him.
He made him nuanced. He did objectively horrible things for objectively good reasons. People sympathise with him because he was pushed into a corner & chose to protect the greater good while also protecting his brother.

I see videos on the internet about the massacre showing the Uchiha dead bodies everywhere and kid Sasuke passing out from the trauma and people in the comments are like, "Can you imagine what Itachi has been through?" This is very twisted and very wrong lol. Kishimoto successfully making everyone sympathize with the murderer over the murdered people is morally questionable. If he tried to portray Itachi's actions as wrong at the very end, he didn't succeed.
Those are fodder nameless characters. So while knowing the Uchiha's rebellion was justified & that even those uninvolved were killed, naturally people think about Itachi more.

Last edited: