[Theory] Why did Shanks really lose his arm?

Donald J Trump

Elite
Kin
912💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've had a simple theory on why Shanks really lost his arm while saving Luffy for years. I think the reason is very simple, and it's got nothing to do with the excuse Oda gave of "betting it on the new era".

I personally think that the Manga was planned to be quite simple, with simple character designs and story, hence why you don't see too many wacky characters early on in OP.

The reason a Yonko lost his arm to a weak sea creature is that Oda never imagined the world of OP to become this large. During the Sea monster encounter, he just wanted to make things more dramatic. When he saw his story expanding, he realised that he had to come up with an excuse of "betting it on the new era" which has Shanks implying that he lost it on purpose. This reason explains as to why we never saw Armament Haki from characters at Marineford and other parts of the story. Oda simply didn't plan for the story from the start to go this far and be this complex early on.

your opinions?

Last edited:
Reactions: WhistleBlower

Sakazuki

Regular
Kin
1,505💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think it's because he has a devil fruit and couldnt swim. We don't know how he got out the water either
Post automatically merged:

And I'd say you're right but you're not, the only reason you're wrong is because if that was the reason, he wouldn't have been able to scare it away with Kings haki. Oda . Tbh you're reason is even worse than mine and mines pretty bad

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think it's because he has a devil fruit and couldnt swim. We don't know how he got out the water either

And I'd say you're right but you're not, the only reason you're wrong is because if that was the reason, he wouldn't have been able to scare it away with Kings haki. Oda . Tbh you're reason is even worse than mine and mines pretty bad
Shanks doesn't have a DF and he wouldn't have been able to stay floating holding Luffy if he did, not to mention his view on losing the ability to swim.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

King's Haki could've just been retconned in later. Intimidating others with glares is a common shounen trope.

Reactions: Donald J Trump

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yes he could've and he might we don't know
No he couldn't have. Not back when he saved Luffy at least as you're implying. Had he had a DF that day he wouldn't have been able to tread water and keep he and Luffy floating with their heads above water he'd have been thrashing about or sink like every other DF user.

Also, and I feel we've gone over this already before, if you reread Romance Dawn or chapter 1 Shanks is very adamant about the negatives of losing the ability to swim and the ability to swim being essential for a pirate. So Shanks eating one would be a drastic swerve from character.

Reactions: Donald J Trump

ArabianLuffy

Elite
Kin
152💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The reason a Yonko lost his arm to a weak sea creature is that Oda never imagined the world of OP to become this large.
When did Oda sit with himself and said: "Oh my! I never imagined the world of my manga, ONE PIECE would become this large!"? When did he?
Before starting chapter 1?
During the process of ch 1?
After?
Has Oda discussed with his editor on whether or not for Shanks to lose his arm?
Was it Oda's idea for Shanks to lose his arm? Or was it the editor's idea?
What about that bizarre yet angry glare Shanks gave that struck fear in the sea king?
Was Oda really planning +20 years ahead for the manga since 1997?
Or the ideas just came like inspiration?

Because you know, all that happened in chapter one, and these questions seek answers now. Someone must ask Oda in his "ONE PIECE SBS".
Donald J Trump said:
During the Sea monster encounter, he just wanted to make things more dramatic.
Oh please, ONE PIECE is full of dramatic moments, and Oda executed them very well.
Donald J Trump said:
When he saw his story expanding, he realized that he had to come up with an excuse of "betting it on the new era" which has Shanks implying that he lost it on purpose.
Which excuse came first? Your theory thread? Or his explanation of Haoshoku Haki by Rayleigh to Luffy in...
chapter 597 (August 30, 2010)
chapter 1 (July 19, 1997)
Oda was prepared... how long?... 13 years ahead just to explain Haki.
Your theory thread took like almost 22 or 23 years to come to existence.

Losing his arm on purpose? Maybe Shanks' Armament Haki wasn't strong enough to keep the beast away and his arm been torn off? Maybe? I dunno. Who can answer Oda's secrets in mind other than Oda himself?
Donald J Trump said:
This reason explains as to why we never saw Armament Haki from characters at Marineford and other parts of the story. Oda simply didn't plan for the story from the start to go this far and be this complex early on.
Hunter X Hunter, chapter 51. When the Sengi Guild agent asked Kurapika what does he see next to her. We get a view of Kurapika's vision not seeing a thing next to her. The same thing happened in ONE PIECE ch one. The pursue of StrawHats in Sabaody Archipelago by Marines, specially by Sentomaru. The Amazon Lily until Marineford.

Can't you see? I already said it before. Years ago.

4th WALL, Mr. President.

You are Kurapika, and Kurapika is you.
You are Luffy, and Luffy is you.

Oda simply threw you that Shanks' glare in ch 1, and he must be like: "I'll explain that years later."...

If there is anything that bothers me about ONE PIECE, it would be those 3 giant monsters like figures in that massive ass of fogs after the StrawHats left Thriller Bark. What the **** was that, Oda?

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
When did Oda sit with himself and said: "Oh my! I never imagined the world of my manga, ONE PIECE would become this large!"? When did he?
Before starting chapter 1?
During the process of ch 1?
After?
Has Oda discussed with his editor on whether or not for Shanks to lose his arm?
Was it Oda's idea for Shanks to lose his arm? Or was it the editor's idea?
What about that bizarre yet angry glare Shanks gave that struck fear in the sea king?
Was Oda really planning +20 years ahead for the manga since 1997?
Or the ideas just came like inspiration?

Because you know, all that happened in chapter one, and these questions seek answers now. Someone must ask Oda in his "ONE PIECE SBS".

Oh please, ONE PIECE is full of dramatic moments, and Oda executed them very well.

Which excuse came first? Your theory thread? Or his explanation of Haoshoku Haki by Rayleigh to Luffy in...
chapter 597 (August 30, 2010)
chapter 1 (July 19, 1997)
Oda was prepared... how long?... 13 years ahead just to explain Haki.
Your theory thread took like almost 22 or 23 years to come to existence.

Losing his arm on purpose? Maybe Shanks' Armament Haki wasn't strong enough to keep the beast away and his arm been torn off? Maybe? I dunno. Who can answer Oda's secrets in mind other than Oda himself?

Hunter X Hunter, chapter 51. When the Sengi Guild agent asked Kurapika what does he see next to her. We get a view of Kurapika's vision not seeing a thing next to her. The same thing happened in ONE PIECE ch one. The pursue of StrawHats in Sabaody Archipelago by Marines, specially by Sentomaru. The Amazon Lily until Marineford.

Can't you see? I already said it before. Years ago.

4th WALL, Mr. President.

You are Kurapika, and Kurapika is you.
You are Luffy, and Luffy is you.

Oda simply threw you that Shanks' glare in ch 1, and he must be like: "I'll explain that years later."...

If there is anything that bothers me about ONE PIECE, it would be those 3 giant monsters like figures in that massive ass of fogs after the StrawHats left Thriller Bark. What the **** was that, Oda?
You know chapter 1 was based on his one shot Romance Dawn right? When he made the one shot(with the same scene of Shanks saving Luffy and glaring off the sea king) that was all there was to the story. He then used that as the core and built off the Luffy character and created his story. Now Oda had to make the bits of Romance Dawn fit OP so the glare becomes haki.

I don't doubt he has a vast majority of Luffy's story and OP planned (if not all of it) but chapter 1 was based on something prior to all of that.

Im_not_Osama_bin_laden

Regular
Kin
2,583💸
Kumi
330💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I don't really get why you think he has a devil fruit. It doesn't make sense cause he would have used it and we would have heard of it. In my opinion, it would make him weaker and less badass since the Red Hair Pirates are the ONLY yonko crew that doesn't have a devil fruit. (Or what we know of) It's the same with the roger pirates. The only one who had a devil fruit was Buggy. Cause it's god Buggy.

• Haha
Reactions: minamoto

Sakazuki

Regular
Kin
1,505💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Do you really believe that?
:nero:

@OP:

Obviously at the time story was not planned that far ahead. These kind of problems are common in such long series.
oh yeah he would've used it yeah totally just like whitebeards would've when he clashed with shanks. Just like kaido would've vs big mom, just like dragon would've when he saved Luffy

Lol yeah he definitley wouldve us d it

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
oh yeah he would've used it yeah totally just like whitebeards would've when he clashed with shanks. Just like kaido would've vs big mom, just like dragon would've when he saved Luffy

Lol yeah he definitley wouldve us d it
[Would have, might have ] =/= [Did so]

So even you agree that we have no reason to assume Shanks had eaten devil fruit at the time. He swam to save Luffy. He was in middle of the ocean and not drowning.

You must be registered for see medias