Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1977) was really bad.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Psst i'm obviously not actually offended, s' a joke. Film is subjective yo.
The original Star Wars is kind of the only film I actually love out of them all.

It's a hallmark of cinema and it's inspirations from Samurai chambara films to Westerns combined with all of the iconic imagery it injected into pop culture...it's timeless. Everything was and still is ahead of it's time that cemented it as iconic INSTANTLY. It has aged well and the cinematography is still absolutely on par. Lots of visual storytelling, instantly likeable & charming characters, creates an ENTIRE new world and sci-fi feel that the other films and sci-fi for the next 40 years bandwagons off of. I also think the story of production and the resourceful nature of how a low budget created some of the most revolutionary effects put to film is cool in itself.

But hey, if you think the silent Darth Maul is the most interesting thing about SW then you're probably 10 so I can't judge.

Last edited:

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Psst i'm obviously not actually offended, s' a joke. Film is subjective yo.
The original Star Wars is kind of the only film I actually love out of them all.

It's a hallmark of cinema and it's inspirations from Samurai chambara films to Westerns combined with all of the iconic imagery it injected into pop culture...it's timeless. Everything was and still is ahead of it's time that cemented it as iconic INSTANTLY. It has aged well and the cinematography is still absolutely on par. Lots of visual storytelling, instantly likeable & charming characters, creates an ENTIRE new world and sci-fi feel that the other films and sci-fi for the next 40 years bandwagons off of. I also think the story of production and the resourceful nature of how a low budget created some of the most revolutionary effects put to film is cool in itself.

But hey, if you think the silent Darth Maul is the most interesting thing about SW then you're probably 10 so I can't judge.
Thats crazy because episode 5 is 10x better than episode 4. Episode 4 is my least favorite star wars movie. It did not age well. Have you seen the film recently, it was hard to watch and pay attention. But as I said I am ignoring the quality of the effects because they are from 1977.

1. What is the point in R2D2 and C3PO walking around in the desert for what seemed like forever? That was just boring. Cant even understand any of the aliens as well.
2. First interesting thing to happen is meeting the great Luke Skywalker but then his Uncle and Aunt die and he has no reaction to that. He is more excited to finally be leaving Tatoonie. That kind of made him out to be an ass IMO.
3. The garbage disposal scene was the one of the worst things I have ever seen.

When did I say Maul was the coolest thing about Star wars? I said one of the coolest characters. Not like Vader spoke much in episode 4 either. Had Maul not been killed he probably could have rivaled Vader which is probably why he was killed off.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thats crazy because episode 5 is 10x better than episode 4. Episode 4 is my least favorite star wars movie. It did not age well. Have you seen the film recently, it was hard to watch and pay attention. But as I said I am ignoring the quality of the effects because they are from 1977.

1. What is the point in R2D2 and C3PO walking around in the desert for what seemed like forever? That was just boring. Cant even understand any of the aliens as well.
You ever seen Wall-E? Visual storytelling is great when done well. The 2 droids are a trope borrowed from the old samurai movies and it's used as a unique way to get familiarised with a new film universe. I like it.

Also I have watched it just the other week. It aged great, even with Lucas trying to add gross CGI to every shot to ruin it all. It's aged great, and not even just 'for the time'- the cinematography and the model effects still are convincing and impressive practical effects. Innovative & effective- the opposite of the prequels.

2. First interesting thing to happen is meeting the great Luke Skywalker but then his Uncle and Aunt die and he has no reaction to that. He is more excited to finally be leaving Tatoonie. That kind of made him out to be an ass IMO.
What did you want him to do? Kneel down in the sand and shout "NOOOOOOOO!" ???
The prequels are the ones that suffer from chronic over-acting and bad dialogue. Original knows what subtlety is.

When did I say Maul was the coolest thing about Star wars? I said one of the coolest characters. Not like Vader spoke much in episode 4 either. Had Maul not been killed he probably could have rivaled Vader which is probably why he was killed off.
I mean he has literally one line of dialogue and is nothing but a cool design so anything cool about him is stuff that we fans probably project onto him aha. You should read some EU comics if you like Maul :) I read an origin of him as a kid where Sidious found him in a dirty Cage-deathmatch bar.....think you'd enjoy :D