Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1977) was really bad.

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So trying to watch all the star wars movies before watching the new one. I hadnt ever watched any of the originals. I have to say episode 4 was bad. Of course ignoring all the 1977 effects, the story was just horrible. I am surprised a cult following was created from that movie. Episode 5 was actually good after the initial setting of Hoth were left. I could understand the hype from episode 5 but when people talk about the crappy prequels and to only watch the originals, episode 4 is really nothing to cheer about.

About the prequels... Darth Maul is like one of the coolest characters in star wars.

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like episode 4. 3 is my favorite though.

Anyway, I disagree. Some stories don't need to be uber complex. Ep 4 was simple and that's fine. It's a classic story of a nobody wanting to be a somebody and finding friends along the way.

Insidious Smile

Supreme
Kin
76💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked episode 1, 2, though I did not like them as much as episode 3. I am not a movie critic, which is why I tend to enjoy a little more the movies the people label as "garbage" or "terrible" (The recent Fantastic 4 movie was utter trash, on that I agree). Episode 4 was entertaining, in my opinion, however, I agree with you that the plot was quite simplistic.

I have a problem with the power know as the "force", because the power has a lot of plot holes.

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked episode 1, 2, though I did not like them as much as episode 3. I am not a movie critic, which is why I tend to enjoy a little more the movies the people label as "garbage" or "terrible" (The recent Fantastic 4 movie was utter trash, on that I agree). Episode 4 was entertaining, in my opinion, however, I agree with you that the plot was quite simplistic.

I have a problem with the power know as the "force", because the power has a lot of plot holes.
I feel you on that critic thing. So many people are so snobbish about things that is just takes away things. What grinds my gears is when people are so harsh on movies that aren't supposed to be complex. Not every movie is The Dark Knight or whatever. Some movies are just meant to be fun, you know?

ChicagoJhawk

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
SPOILER: if you didn't like ep4 then you prob won't like 7 cuz it has the same plot narrative. Although, I feel that seven does a better job of dialogue and pace

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
SPOILER: if you didn't like ep4 then you prob won't like 7 cuz it has the same plot narrative. Although, I feel that seven does a better job of dialogue and pace
Yeah, 7's plot mirrors 4 a lot, which I don't mind for this one, but I hope 8 and 9 don't copy 5 and 6 as much. I would say 7 feels like a very modern take on 4. They aren't exactly the same, the main characters are certainly not just copies or anything, but you can see some traits in some of them and there are actual big moments in the movies that are like "this is this scene, but a bit different."

ChicagoJhawk

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, 7's plot mirrors 4 a lot, which I don't mind for this one, but I hope 8 and 9 don't copy 5 and 6 as much. I would say 7 feels like a very modern take on 4. They aren't exactly the same, the main characters are certainly not just copies or anything, but you can see some traits in some of them and there are actual big moments in the movies that are like "this is this scene, but a bit different."
Yeah like the whole beginning with Rey on jaku mirrored Luke's life on tantooine and the scene with Han approaching kylo mirrored obi wan vs darth vader. Overall the movie was enjoyable and the characters were great but only gripe would be the repetitive plot

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like episode 4. 3 is my favorite though.

Anyway, I disagree. Some stories don't need to be uber complex. Ep 4 was simple and that's fine. It's a classic story of a nobody wanting to be a somebody and finding friends along the way.
My main issues:

1. R2 and C3PO walking in a desert for what seemed like forever.
2. Luke having zero reaction to his uncle and aunt's deaths. I mean maybe shed a tear? Drop to your knees. Something instead of just easily getting over it because now you get your adventure.
3. Garbage disposal scene was really really hard to watch.
4. Fights were lackluster and Obi-Wan's death scene was random in a way.

Episode 5 was a huge improvement.

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah like the whole beginning with Rey on jaku mirrored Luke's life on tantooine and the scene with Han approaching kylo mirrored obi wan vs darth vader. Overall the movie was enjoyable and the characters were great but only gripe would be the repetitive plot
I completely agree. Rey mirrored Luke, but had her own twist. The Han/Obi scene were similar, but it was a different relationship and thing. So, it's tough. One of the big ones if the mega death star thing. The only thing is it kind of fits. I buy like the mega Death Star because it fits with Kylo's entire character. So, it's a catch 50-50. It is a lot of repetitiveness, but it fits with the villain's character and I like that a lot.

But yeah, I'll sooooo okay with that because 7 was amazing, but I hope the future ones create new territory. I feel confident about the future.

My main issues:

1. R2 and C3PO walking in a desert for what seemed like forever.
2. Luke having zero reaction to his uncle and aunt's deaths. I mean maybe shed a tear? Drop to your knees. Something instead of just easily getting over it because now you get your adventure.
3. Garbage disposal scene was really really hard to watch.
4. Fights were lackluster and Obi-Wan's death scene was random in a way.

Episode 5 was a huge improvement.
1. I haven't really thought about it, so maybe.
2. True. He doesn't even care lol
3. How so? Like just a bad scene? I'd have to watch it again, but you may be right, I dunno.
4. Star Wars didn't become action heavy until the prequels. 5 and 6 did more like war stuff, but fights were never big in the original trilogy. I will say that their fight is weaker in comparison to future fights, but again, it's not supposed to be a big thing. As for his death, I can see that. "Hey, I'm Obi-Wan. Now I'm dead. YO, FORCE GHOST!"

Last edited:

Yusuke Urameshi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Episode 7 is basically a reskinned/remixed Episode 4. I personally didn't like either of the new main characters and I especially didn't like all of the plot holes/plot devices/deus ex machina that were present in the movie. It did set up for the sequels well, though, and if that was JJ's goal, he succeeded.

Namar

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So trying to watch all the star wars movies before watching the new one. I hadnt ever watched any of the originals. I have to say episode 4 was bad. Of course ignoring all the 1977 effects, the story was just horrible. I am surprised a cult following was created from that movie. Episode 5 was actually good after the initial setting of Hoth were left. I could understand the hype from episode 5 but when people talk about the crappy prequels and to only watch the originals, episode 4 is really nothing to cheer about.

About the prequels... Darth Maul is like one of the coolest characters in star wars.
If you didn't like it doesn't mean the movie is shit.
I'm pretty sure there is an entire fan base and many other outside the fan base who are capable of enjoying it.

Did anyone notice the Lightsaber at Narutobases's logo ?

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If you didn't like it doesn't mean the movie is shit.
I'm pretty sure there is an entire fan base and many other outside the fan base who are capable of enjoying it.

Did anyone notice the Lightsaber at Narutobases's logo ?
I didn't notice it until I saw someone point it out earlier today. That is super cool.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The original Star Wars is kind of the only film I actually love out of them all.

It's a hallmark of cinema and it's inspirations from Samurai chambara films to Westerns combined with all of the iconic imagery it injected into pop culture...it's timeless.

But hey, if you think Darth Maul is interesting then you're probably 10 so I can't judge.

iKaras

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The only scene worth watching from the old stars is this. U_U

[video=youtube;OpaZU4Q3Ubk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaZU4Q3Ubk&list=FLWydptSlr99ooAWPo9HNfIw& index=2[/video]

Best character in Star wars.