Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Let's begin with a simple question or two. What do you know about sound, both real life and narutoverse, how you plan to use it within your fighting style?

Detective L

Legendary
Kin
2,224💸
Kumi
3,141💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, let's split it into the two parts shall we:

Real Life: Sound can be described as vibrations that travel through a specific medium, and can be heard when it finally reaches the ear. Sound waves are basically caused by vibrations of objects and such, and they travel from said source outwards. Now, from what I remember in Physics class, there are two types of waves: Longitudinal waves and Transverse waves.

I remember that the definition of Longitudinal Waves said something like, waves in which the displacement of the medium is in the same direction, as the direction of travel of the wave or something like that xD I was never really good in Physics. On the other hand, Transverse waves, were at right angles as opposed to being in the same direction o-o. Real life Sound also contain different pitches, notes and frequencies. I could cover each, but my brain remembers only a bit. Anyway, the normal hearing frequency of people is between 20 Hz and 20 000 Hz, so anything above or below this, I can't be "heard" by the human ear.

NarutoVerse: Well, Sound is basically the same in NarutoVerse, but it is created with chakra, allowing the user to create or produce sound waves or vibrations. This means that these vibrations can be used in various ways, from disorienting the opponent to inducing Genjutsu.

Now from what I read in my off time, is that there are three types of techniques variants that can be used with Sound Release:

• Destructive Sound Waves
  • Hindering Sound Waves
  • Genjutsu Inducing Sound Waves
Each of these have their own ways of causing damage. I actually thought of putting them like this. Destructive Sound Waves can cause physical damage to the opponent, so it's more the offensive/defensive one. Hindering Sound Waves can cause the opponent to be disoriented, and their effect is more mental, or supplementary in nature. Lastly, Genjutsu Inducing Sound Waves are used to induce a Genjutsu on an opponent through the use of frequencies, which is can be described as Offensive/Defensive and Supplementary based on what I have seen in cjs and such.

Anyway, I'll be using Sound in conjunction with my Nekura, who I actually want to make a Genjutsu master. Since I can only use the Sound Release on Dean, I am quite a cautious fighter and I fight with a bit of strategy. Sound Release will augment my overall Genjutsu prowess I believe and my newly gained interest in Taijutsu too o-o. I hope that is sufficient.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well done, on both fronts. Real life and NarutoVerse both fairly correct, I'll get to what you missed in a moment, you didn't miss much, don't panic. Interesting using it with genjutsu, and a Nekura. I can feel that. Good enough for me, I just wanted a general gist of what you plan to do with it.

What do you think are strengths and weakness of sound? Like what is it weak against and what is it strong against?

Detective L

Legendary
Kin
2,224💸
Kumi
3,141💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright, cool.

Sound is weak to:

-Wind: This is the main medium of Sound to travel through, and if disrupted, it will cause the Sound technique to dissipate. Back in the day, Sound was more powerful but Wind was still its main weakness like today. That's pretty much its most solid weakness to be honest, but Earth can also be used in certain instances to stop weaker Sound waves from making its way towards the opponent.

Sound is strong to:

-Basically Earth and Water too, since it's destructive properties it is capable of dissipating water and destroying Earth with sheer power. Sound's interaction with Lightning and Fire is quite odd I guess, since both elements don't really have a physical form and are more plasma like. In a sense, there would be no result with Lightning and Sound interaction, with Fire I am not too sure. Let me try though, Sound uses air as a medium to travel through right, so the air particles are being used, so interaction with Fire could, in theory, enhance said particles? Since we all know that if something gets heated up, the particles gain more energy.. Does this mean that Fire can actually make Sound move faster? o_O That's just my weak Physics at work, correct me if I am wrong lol.

Now that I think of it, Sound is basically only weak to anything that can disrupt the medium through which it travels, which can be either the air itself, water can be a medium and a solid too ( at least in Physics). Also, if someone were to have a Vacuum based CE, that would make Sound totally useless as it can't travel through a vacuum as it needs a medium to travel through, that's why Sound can't travel in space.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Jesus, very very good indeed. I shall add a tad more.

Strength of Sound Release is its speed. To a different element there is no real strength against. I mean it can go against other elements and break them up but still that doesn't mean it is strong against that one element.

It is neutral to elements like Lightning and Fire. Lightning seems to not to do anything to Sound. Fire on the other hands can make the sound faster because of the heat it gives off and the sound absorbs that heat increasing the molecules in it.

Sound is also weak to gas like elements.

Sound is weak against wind because it disrupts the air and the frequency of the sound waves.

Earth is actually quite weak to sound, it can be shattered with ease.
Let's go with this. You put up a wall between us, and I clap. Can you still hear the clap?

With water, somewhat. But the water merely increases the damage cause by the sound. So in a sense. Sound is strong to water also.

Hope that answers your questions, any more about the strengths and weakness?

Detective L

Legendary
Kin
2,224💸
Kumi
3,141💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'll be sure to remember those, thanks. As for more questions, I think I do have a few. Seeing as Sound can shatter the Earth, how would one determine it by rank? Which rank of Sound would be capable of breaking apart what rank of Earth, and to what extent. Also, I'd like to know, that very same question but in relation to Wood? How does it react with Wood, since Wood is actually strong to both Earth and Water o-o.

As for the clap, it depends on the thickness of said wall. If the wall is extremely thick, I wouldn't be able to hear the clap sound, and if it were thin, I would. This is due to the sound waves having to use the air as a medium to reach my ears but if a large enough (or thick in this case) obstacle were to stand in its path, I wouldn't hear it.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Unless the sound technique explains that it destroys earth techniques. Earth can be used as a counter, of any rank. And, I don't see why not it could be applied to wood as well.

And, good.

Also:

Using water will add +20 damage points to the sound technique, but also makes it visible towards the opponent so they can defend against with much more ease. With sound as soon as it is heard, you are know you are stuffed.

To defend against a sound/water combo, either by avoiding it directly or you could always use a strong defence. If the sound techniques dictates that it can destroy earth techniques, use something else, some earth techniques can damper the damage of the sound, but only for so long.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This next thing is explained all by Wesobi my old sensei. It explains everything you need know, (bit lazy on my part. But still can't explain any better then Wes)

First of all, a frequency is measured in Hertz. A frequency in theory is how many waves pass a certain point in a certain amount of time. So, basically, the lower the interval, the higher the frequency.

Now, the cool thing is, adjusting the frequency. A higher frequency is a higher pitched tone, while a lower frequency is a lower pitched tone. If you listen to music and hear the bass, the frequency is lower. You can also feel it in your body a lot more than high frequency tones, because generally those are harder to perceive in the first place. The neat thing is, that this allows us to alter the effects of sound techniques by altering the frequency. That being said, you probably see how versatile sound actually can be, and how it can create different effects. Even if you can't hear something, the sound waves are still there and can still have effects on your body

humans can only hear certain frequencies, or a range in between 2 frequencies. Generally, this is about 20 - 20 000 Hertz. Now, as you grow older, your body gets older as well, and you start to have trouble hearing high frequency tones. This is why younger people generally hear a lot better than old people. I was wondering if you speak in a lower voice, if people with hearing problems would understand you better, but I'm unsure (though it makes sense).
This does not mean that higher/lower frequencies do not effect the body! Remember that!

About the ultrasonic: Ultrasonic are simply sounds above 20 kiloHertz (20 000 Hertz) and thus above what humans can actually perceive. Other animals, like dolphins and dogs can perceive these (think, the dog whistle). These range from 20 KiloHertz into several MegaHertz. This is also what they use for sonograms (you understand what this is?) and such. Infrasound is the opposite (below 20 hertz)

Oh, one more thing I'd like to add, and this is particularly useful against Mugi's Radio Frequency/Wave CE. Low frequency sound waves generally move easier through rocks/earth than higher frequency ones. Think about your cellphone, when you move through a tunnel, the reception sucks.

Now, realize that sound can move through any medium. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Though we needs some sort of limitations, and it's reasonable to say wind is a good counter to sound if it can be seen (doujutsu) or heard, but at that point it might be too late (depending on how a technique is used and how the effects are). Earth, however, depending on the situation (and the level of understanding of the usage by the opponent) can be a devastating counter as well.
Now, look below:

-Speed of sound:
solid > liquid > gas.

Sound moves fastes of all through solids. Generally, this is because the particles and atoms in earth are more tightly packed than they are in liquids or gas. So, the closer the atoms/molecules, the faster sound moves.

- Elastic properties
There is a catch in between different solids. Sound moves faster through rigid solids (i.e. steel, iron) than other things like jelly. This is because solids that are rigid generally mean that the atoms and molecules have a much stronger force of attraction towards each other than in other solids. This is because of the fact that, once moved, they move back to their original position/form more quickly (and thus resulting in a much higher vibration speed). jelly in this case has much weaker attraction between the molecules, that's why it's so "elastic" (not to be confused with elastic properties), and much more flexible.

- Density
Next to this, there is the density. Now, more dense substances = more mass. More mass=bigger molecules. Because sound is based on kinetic energy that travels from one point to another, moving through denser objects means it has to use more energy, seeing as it has to move (vibrate) larger molecules. This however is used for substances with the same elastic properties.

To explain this take two examples with nearly the same elastic properties. Gold and aluminum (Gold = 10.8 psi; aluminum = 10 psi). While they nearly have the same elastic properties, gold is much denser, so it will travel faster through aluminum than gold.

Another funny thing is, this effect does not quite work the same in gaseous media.

Let's say it's hot hot hot in one side of the room, and cold cold cold in the other side. The logic explanation is that sound would move faster in the cold air (since it's denser), but that isn't the case!

Heat, like sound is a source of kinetic energy. More heat = More kinetic energy = more energy for the sound. This leads up to the fact that they can vibrate faster in hot air.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sightly different approach with this training. Lets just talk about the techniques. I don't want to use a template for this, I simply want to teach this field in the most chill way possible, but getting the same amount of information out and so on.

(Ototon: Naiteki Ne no Jutsu) - Sound Release: Inner Sonar Skill
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short-Long
Chakra Cost: 10 (-1 per turn)
Damage Points: N/A
Description: The user will enhance their hearing by infusing his ears with sound chakra. Then, by utilizing chakra and enfacing his lungs, the user will be able to control the frequency and intensity of the sound emitted from his simple breathing. This low frequency, inaudible sound is passively emitted and has no effect other than emerging from him and bouncing off of objects. Using the enhanced hearing, the user is able to know where everything is around them, effectively creating a sonar effect through the rebound and reflection of sound waves. The hearing and the sonar effect is precise enough so that one can effectively use it to substitute one's vision in battle if needed. Despite being very effective, specially if the user has any of his other senses hindered, it also leaves the opponent vulnerable to sound genjutsu or sound attacks which will be much more drastic in its effects.
Note: Lasts 6 turns

This technique is very handy, but also can backfire big time. What can you tell me about it?

P.S Mugi's stronger version of this, is off the hook. D:

Detective L

Legendary
Kin
2,224💸
Kumi
3,141💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay, fine with me.

Well, this quite an interesting and useful technique to start off with. First off, the technique itself is quite easy to perform, requiring mere infusion of Sound chakra into your ears. Now this is where it gets interesting. The technique states that one can control the frequency and intensity of the Sound released from yourself through the process of breathing, which is inaudible to the opponent and it's only use is to bounce off objects. This creates a pseudo sonar effect as the Sound waves bounce off objects, an effect that takes place in nature with Bats. Those evil cretins "scream" out Sound waves that has the same effect as this technique, allowing them to see, as the sound waves bounce off objects.

This means, even if your opponent were to somehow get rid of your eye sight or eyes in general (Lili pls), with this technique, you could continue the battle with ease. You would still be able to "see" everything and because it happens so fast, you have a clear view of the battlefield which increases your overall perception. This technique somehow reminds me of Toph in Avatar, who used the earth for this same type of skill because she was blind.

Now, thing is, every technique always comes with a disadvantage. As you are able to hear greater, Sound based techniques are more deadly against you if this is active.

Overall, the technique is overall quite good, especially as a D rank technique. I like that it brings some real life physics into it, which is what makes it so interesting to me.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And bangs, like explosions will do a helluva a lot more damage to your hearing while using sonar skill. So be careful in that sense, a simple exploding tag would cause your ears to bleed, so be aware.

Do you have any questions relating back to this technique?

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright then. Moving along:

(Ototon: Chūnyū no Jutsu) - Sound Release: Infusion Technique
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short
Chakra Cost: 20
Damage points: N/A
Description: A simple technique where the user touches an object and infuses it with sound chakra, enabling it to vibrate and produce a low frequency, high amplitude sound. The vibrations cause objects to bounce off of the targeted object which is highly useful when fighting with weapons or to make thrown basic weapons resist opposing thrown weapons.. It also resonates to the user if he were to be blind (because of a genjutsu for example), letting the the user know the objects position and what it deflects. It can also be applied to solid objects or structures the user may wish to destroy or, by applying it to the ground or similar, detect what is around him by making it resonate with the same low frequency. The object gets no added power, only the ability to deflect incoming objects that want to counter it.

Let's talk about this one, rather easy technique. But can be very useful in the long run.

Detective L

Legendary
Kin
2,224💸
Kumi
3,141💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This technique would have been quite epic with my Minato >_>. Nonetheless, the technique is quite simple indeed. By touching an object, it is infused with Sound based chakra, causing it to vibrate and produce a low frequency, high amplitude sound. Now, this means that this object will vibrate (can this be seen?) and basically make it able to push away other objects that hit against it because of said vibration. It mentions kunai, but what about a sword? I can imagine using this technique to infuse a sword with Sound chakra, causing it to vibrate, making it easy to deflect your opponent's sword, should you have a pseudo Kenjutsu fight.

What I like is that it resonates to the user, this would basically allow me to know where my kunai (or thing I have infused with Sound chakra) is, and this can be used in combination with a CJ I have that allows me to manipulate a far away small object xD. Now, the technique states it can also be applied to solid objects or structures that I wish to destroy, that is quite interesting. The technique can also be used a pseudo sensing technique by infusing the very ground with Sound chakra. Based on it's short range reach, it means I would only be able to "sense" around me up to 5 meters? And what about underground?

Overall nice technique, which if used right, can easily make a normal kunai very dangerous for the opponent.

Nathan

Immortal
Kin
409💸
Kumi
615💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
(Ototon: Sumakku Te no Jutsu) - Sound Release: Clapping Hands
Type: Defensive
Range: Short
Chakra Cost: 20
Damage Points: N/A
Description: The user charges Ototon chakra into the palms of their hands, and then smashes them together. The force creates high frequency sound waves which can be used to disperse incoming "solid" jutsu (only works on B-Rank or below jutsu) like those of Water Release or Earth Release.

Now this technique is very handy (pun intended) for incoming solids, B-rank and below though.