Since when can Obito phase while touching someone?

valandil988

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Here's a question to feast on lol. How does Obito remain standing when using his intangibility technique.

Is he also isolated from the gravity of the world? How does he "run" through Kakashi's mud wall if he is phasing through it. He shouldn't be capable of apply any force at all to the ground or anything.

Naturally when phasing through a rock face or descending into the ground he shouldn't be able to stop his forward movement, ergo if he started phasing while descending into the earth.

For example when he evaded Danzo's death sealing technique he should have continued moving down into the earth and not been able to "rematerialize" so he could kamui transport himself. Madara himself has just stated that in order to use his transportation technique he must become solid and stop using his intangibility tech. Ergo this should have been impossible, if he had done so his body would exist in the same place as a ton of rock. I highly doubt he could start using a doton tech simultaneously to escape...

Perhaps he dropped out the bottom of the bridge but we didn't see this...

Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Here's a question to feast on lol. How does Obito remain standing when using his intangibility technique.

Is he also isolated from the gravity of the world? How does he "run" through Kakashi's mud wall if he is phasing through it. He shouldn't be capable of apply any force at all to the ground or anything.

Naturally when phasing through a rock face or descending into the ground he shouldn't be able to stop his forward movement, ergo if he started phasing while descending into the earth.

For example when he evaded Danzo's death sealing technique he should have continued moving down into the earth and not been able to "rematerialize" so he could kamui transport himself. Madara himself has just stated that in order to use his transportation technique he must become solid and stop using his intangibility tech. Ergo this should have been impossible, if he had done so his body would exist in the same place as a ton of rock. I highly doubt he could start using a doton tech simultaneously to escape...

Perhaps he dropped out the bottom of the bridge but we didn't see this...
I started thinking along these lines the more I thought about the issue. I think we can safely say that contact with the ground and things like his own clothes (as someone already mentioned) are independent of the rules. We already established that things he was in contact with previously before activating the jutsu remain in contact with him. So his clothes don't phase off of him, thank goodness, and his relationship with the ground and gravity remain constant unless he decides to negate the previous contact. Ie when he let himself phase through the ground in your example.

anonymityIx

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Obviously my theory is all speculation but i believe Obito might have been using the ability Zetsu uses to pass through the Earth wall. At least that would make more sense as to why he could physically touch something or more importantly move whilst inside of something. If he was intangible he shouldn't have any momentum to push forward. My thought for his "phasing ability" is that his entire physical body phases into the other dimension but we still see him in the normal world. Almost as if he exists in both realms simultaneously. Example: When naruto's explosion was happening in the real world Obito phased into the other world right? But he didn't teleport. That takes longer to do. The main difference is that when he teleports there is no 5 minute limit and in that case people wouldnt see him in the real world. My idea is , if we could see through that bijuu bomb then we wold see obito's body unharmed in the normal world as his physical self was in the parallel dimension. I think Kakashi was wrong only because it doesnt make sense that he sends part of his body away in that instant. How would he surivive? That would be like taking a chunk of his face off and sending it somewhere else. Then immediately putting it back without any harm to himself. I believe his body remains in tact. This way fit's better in my head at least and works with everything we have seen thus far. Please let me know of any incongruities so i can try to see if my idea fits

Vegeto30294

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If Obito could always phase parts of his body, why were these a problem?

You must be registered for see images

Why not have Obito's head intangible but his hand tangible, allowing him to still grab Naruto on three separate occasions?

Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If Obito could always phase parts of his body, why were these a problem?

Why not have Obito's head intangible but his hand tangible, allowing him to still grab Naruto on three separate occasions?
Exactly. That's been my point this whole time :).

Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Pseudo Juubi or Kurama's arm. Naturally he can't extend his arm like that, so has to be power of biju.
Well yes, he used the Biju arm to pushback Madara, but the point I was making is that the biju arm was inside Madara's stomach while Madara's arm phased through Obito's head. So by definition of the technique, his arm cannot be solid and still touching Madara while phasing.

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Actually here is the earliest example and explanation of this limitation of Obito's Kamui...

Does it still stand? Only Kishi knows.

Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Actually here is the earliest example and explanation of this limitation of Obito's Kamui...

Does it still stand? Only Kishi knows.
Wow great page! That first line form Torume after the exchange explains it in one fell swoop.

Saroku

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Besides that, read what Kakashi says. The part that is supposed to be overlapping with his body is teleported. Not the part that Obito decicdes.

Kisameeeeee

Kin
99💸
Kumi
69💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I, personally, think that you all are underestimating the circumstances under which Obito had to phase "his whole body" like,
Example One:
You must be registered to see images

As you can see, Obito's full body does seem to phase but there are other factors to take into rather than the fact his entire body is "ethereal". Such as the situation this happened under, Gai threw a kick, one that would have been problematic if Obito would have let it hit. Meanwhile, Kakashi is trying to get Naruto out of Obito's clutches, this is all happening very fast by the way. Now think, Obito had the intentions of warping Naruto instead of using the Human Path to kill him, as he's stated multiple times in the fight."You two have something that belongs me." The Tailed Beast. He preferred for the Ten Tails to be fully revived, if possible. Not to mention, Obito is a sensory shinobi, so he probably sensed the two senseis, no matter how fast they were. So he probably was prepared, and expected this. He had no way of warping Naruto, therefore winning with "one touch", His warping was not fast enough to warp Naruto before Gai and Kakashi could intervene, plus, even if Obito did attempt to warp, Kakashi and Gai could have easily attacked, stopping him. Due to the fact that Obito is confirmed to be solid when warping either himself or others. Obito was not foolish enough to do such actions.
Example Two:
You must be registered to see images

Again, this is an example involving the very same opponents in the previous example, so, the same logic could be applied. He was likely wanting to warp Naruto for the same reasons stated above, in short to make the Eye of the Moon plan go smoother. He needed Naruto alive for the Tailed Beast to be extracted. Now, again, Obito was a sensory shinobi, meaning he most likely sensed Gai and expected this, to a degree, but you have to look at the circumstances for Obito, Gai was close by planning on interfering and him grabbing a Naruto and warping him without such restraints unlike last time would have been even more difficult. So, instead of attempting to warp Naruto and getting stopped by either one, due to his warping speed likely not fast enough to avoid failure, he decided to simply phase past Naruto and continue on with the battle. He knew he likely had more chances to get Naruto or Killer Bee, so he phased in both examples just because he knew it wasn't the end.
Now, thanks to others in the thread, you all are aware that Obito "broke the rules" due to images proving this, but this may be something Obito is truly capable of, not some mistake by Kishimoto, so next time you see Obito and think he's going full body "ethereal". Remember the circumstances Obito was under, would it have really been profitable to continue in an attack likely to backfire? Obito was bound to see that these situations would have proved fruitless, so he decided to phase through it all and hope for the best.