5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You must be registered for see images

Sanctuary

Sanctuary is the home of the Monks of the Human Order, a home for humanity at the heart of the Garden of the Gods. While only a small village built from wood, Sanctuary is still a village worth calling home. Most of the homes are small and have housed families for several thousands of years. Many Monks have been liberated in the quelling of the great storm that raged over Kamiyasumi, no longer requiring the Monks, Iavid most of all, to maintain their ancient barrier. Some have taken up hobbies as a result, and others, curious about their new neighbors on the eastern shore, have taken many sojourns to Dawnport. Others still are less curious about the peoples, and are more interested in the ways they fight, unwilling to allow something akin to their subjugation beneath Basel to ever happen again.

Notable figures within Sanctuary include Fyarina, who is in all but name Iavid's right hand woman. She kept the flame of hope strong in Sanctuary, helping to maintain the Monks' composure in the weeks and months after Iavid's state worsened due to the climactic battle with Basel.

Durmaz Bakir is an immortal Monk who took up a hammer in the early days of Humanity's endeavors on Kamiyasumi. As a blacksmith his pride has taken a hit since word of "God Slaying Tools", unique tools imbued with Atavistic properties and bound to the human soul have begun becoming commonplace throughout the world. Not one to be outdone, without even asking the Grandmaster if he could do so, Durmaz began inspecting and maintaining many of these God Slaying Tools on Iavid's behalf. While he can't craft these tools himself, he is at least skilled enough to help with the imbuing of Atavistic Flame, encouraging further growth within the tools much like Iavid himself can.

Finally there are the "militant monks", a group of young humans who strive to protect Sanctuary with their own hands. They are lead by a young mortal Monk named Eandro. Though he is only an Initiate, the spark of life within him burns bright, and much like those who came before he is not one to easily give up. They can typically be found sparring with one another and any outsider willing to give them the time of day.

Sanctuary is a Sacred landmark. It cannot be claimed and combat cannot take place within it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zatanna

Elite
Kin
4,926💸
Kumi
18,043💴
Trait Points
40⚔️
This post mark ths beginning of a mission using the following storyboard element(s)
-Learn about the Monks who inhabit the mountain
-Learn about the history of the island

Upon reaching the ruins Strix was blown away to find it was actually inhabited, by humans no less or at least humanoid looking people that were going about life. The buildings themselves, looking impossibly ancient in terms of design but still maintained and actively being used. Housing, granaries, all built from wood with Strix guessing the local forest nearby providing most of the lumber for it. Curiously she wondered how they survived, did they eat local animals from the forest too? There were a lot of questions racing through her mind, especially considering there had never once been any written text about them in any books from the mainland. For all she knew the mainland was the only land in the world, and this would be an important discovery..... mostly for science. However, with all discoveries, there posed an important question, would she be in danger...

Quickly scribbling a note to Madara, she wrote down on the communication scroll.
In the middle of the southern area, in the eye of the storm. A village, with people still living here. Will report back soon.

She tucked away the note into her bag, and cautiously approached the village, making sure to appear as non threatening as she could. Holding her hip, still aching from the pain of passing through the storm with scratches over her face, she wondered how they would respond to an outsider. Mentally should it come to it, she was prepared to defend herself, however curiosity was getting the better of her and hoping she could learn more about them.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Coming from: https://animebase.me/threads/barriers-edge-285.781582/post-22110607

Lucifer's journey came to an end at the gates of a humble wooden village within a monolithic structure, there were many humans here along with the familiar life force of Strix, the child of Tiamat would take his time to explore the area.
"You don't look like you're from here," the voice came from behind Lucifer, a woman resting in a rocking chair on the porch of her small wooden hut. Her appearance was deceptive, seemingly in her early twenties with long braided blonde hair and deep hazel eyes. Her complexion was fair, practically pale. But despite the village's location at the heart of a storm underneath a barrier that had sheltered them for thousands of years she was well kept. She wore a simple black cloth garb that had no ornate markings, elaborate jewelry, or iconography. Perhaps the prophecies have come to pass... She thinks to herself, scratching her chin for a brief moment before leaving her chair. There was no fear or suspicion in her voice; she had no reason to be. Beneath her delicate skin burned the flame of a human that had survived the Great War - one of Marduk's Immortals. "I am Fyarina. Do you need a guide?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

Reactions: Ańbu Juniør

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
"You don't look like you're from here," the voice came from behind Lucifer, a woman resting in a rocking chair on the porch of her small wooden hut. Her appearance was deceptive, seemingly in her early twenties with long braided blonde hair and deep hazel eyes. Her complexion was fair, practically pale. But despite the village's location at the heart of a storm underneath a barrier that had sheltered them for thousands of years she was well kept. She wore a simple black cloth garb that had no ornate markings, elaborate jewelry, or iconography. Perhaps the prophecies have come to pass... She thinks to herself, scratching her chin for a brief moment before leaving her chair. There was no fear or suspicion in her voice; she had no reason to be. Beneath her delicate skin burned the flame of a human that had survived the Great War - one of Marduk's Immortals. "I am Fyarina. Do you need a guide?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.
Lucifer was confused for a moment, he was sure he could sense Strix when he entered the area but just like that her presence had vanished. He was scanning the crowd for answers to this phenomenon when he heard the voice, someone named Fyarina addressed him as outsider, perhaps it was fairly obvious given the simple dress of the folks around him in comparison to his own outfit and general appearance.

"Greetings, Fyarina. I am Lucifer and yes, I would very much like a guide as this land is foreign to me. I sensed a friend here, or I thought I did at least, but it seems they have disappeared."

Kin
1,902💸
Kumi
15,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Previous post.
This post marks the beginning of my mission using these storyboard elements:
- Scout potential threats (2).

It was like moving from a desert into a hurricane. From the rest of the continent that she had ventured to so far being mostly deserted in the way of civilization, beyond ruins...to this. A full town, with buildings constructed of wood, bustling with life. Musashi sensed a tremendous amount of souls here...and beyond that, the souls were like those of Marzan, though not quite of the same antiquity. The people here seemed particularly long-lived.

She had removed her straw hat as she approached, so as to not conceal her face - she was already plenty visible due to the vibrant hues of her garb, and saw no reason to act in such a manner that might put the people of this small hidden realm on edge. Even the air and ground here seemed hallowed, like something out of a fantastical story.

Protected by the barrier that she had passed through earlier, this small hamlet seemed to be sheltered from the storm that raged endlessly beyond its borders, and Musashi had a guess at who maintained the gravestone site she had just passed through...but then that rose another question.

Musashi's sensitivity to souls seemed to imply that the people here were of an age since past...and if that was the case, whose graves were those? Enemies felled in battle? Doubtful given the reverence the graves seemed to be treated with, but not impossible.

Family not blessed with longevity? That seemed reasonable. She had heard of a clan of red-haired shinobi who were blessed with a long lifespan, but it would not be unreasonable to assume that some of their progeny would not inherit this ability - nor, would those who married into their clan. But that would imply another civilization of less long-lived people on the island. Also not impossible, but she had not yet ventured to a place that supported such a theory.

For some reason, Musashi decided that she would not detail this place on her map, or in her notes. While she suspected that this place would become more known, as others began to venture out and explore the Outer Lands beyond just those of them who had spearheaded the exploration efforts, it seemed...improper, to be the one responsible for the disruption of a native people.

Kin
1,902💸
Kumi
15,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Previous post.

In reaching this place, Musashi had decided that she would not dwell her for long. This place seemed to have a lot of mysticism to it, and if she wanted to explore it thoroughly, she would have to spend some time to do so.

Beyond that, it seemed another had made their way to the village. Though their soul put Musashi a bit on edge - it was very similar to that of the Oni - they seemed to not be disrupting the village. She made a bit of minimal interaction with the villagers - they kindly refilled her waterskin, and she at least left some coin for a few days worth of food, though she doubted they had any real use for Ryo.

Beyond that, though, as she left, she sensed it. The same feeling as she felt in Marzan's forge, as she saw a small flickering ember, burning resolute in a brazier of sorts.

There was an immense depth to it, and it belayed a different sort of force within it than just heat. She had, at one time, considered it something unique to Marzan and the ancient man's forging process...but was that incorrect?

Musashi left the village, with many more questions than answers.

As she departed the village - though she did not intend to share this information with the world at large - she did send a message to Emiya. Being the blacksmith's apprentice, perhaps he would have some insight.

@Imperfect

"Emiya:

I would ask how much you know of your Master's Forge, or at least of his techniques. While I was there, having Myojingiri forged, I was transfixed by the flames in his workshop, as if they held something strange within them. Here in the Outer Lands, I have discovered a village nestled away beyond a barrier at the eye of the hurricane that ravages the island, and I see these flames present here as well.

I do not wish to disturb the tranquility of this place, and must move on from this area for now. But the people here: their souls are very much like your master's. Ancient.

I was hoping you would have some insight into the matter. And if not, I thought I should share the knowledge, lest their be something here to help you learn, or perhaps reclaim for your master, a forging technique once lost.

I wish you good health,
Musashi Miyamoto."

With that, Musashi left the village, going to explore further beyond its reaches.

Leaving Landmark for Barrier's Edge (285).

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lucifer was confused for a moment, he was sure he could sense Strix when he entered the area but just like that her presence had vanished. He was scanning the crowd for answers to this phenomenon when he heard the voice, someone named Fyarina addressed him as outsider, perhaps it was fairly obvious given the simple dress of the folks around him in comparison to his own outfit and general appearance.

"Greetings, Fyarina. I am Lucifer and yes, I would very much like a guide as this land is foreign to me. I sensed a friend here, or I thought I did at least, but it seems they have disappeared."
"You can just call me Fya. That's what most people here call me!" She was a cheerful girl, spinning around and motioning Lucifer to follow her. "We live pretty humble lives here, unlike those who live across the world - the Emperors." She said as she motioned to either side, pointing at the small wooden huts and shacks that comprised the majority of Sanctuary. The Emperors that she referred to were the humans that travelled to the Port of Innovus and founded the Golden Empire; though she had no idea that the Golden Empire tarnished to Silver and later Bronze. Their schism, which was a conflict only in philosophy and ideology, was over Marduk's belief that humanity should live in a state of nature. It contrasted with Nergal's own view of the splendor of the soul and its complexity. "We were always taught to live humbly," she commented again, taking long strides as she waved to other villagers. "At the heart of the village are the Monks. They form a village council; though they only offer guidance and protect us from the wrathful storms of the island." She said as she pointed upwards where the hurricane raged. Her finger then shot forward, pointing toward a large stone temple at the center of the village surrounded by a group of oak trees that shaded it.

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
"You can just call me Fya. That's what most people here call me!" She was a cheerful girl, spinning around and motioning Lucifer to follow her. "We live pretty humble lives here, unlike those who live across the world - the Emperors." She said as she motioned to either side, pointing at the small wooden huts and shacks that comprised the majority of Sanctuary. The Emperors that she referred to were the humans that travelled to the Port of Innovus and founded the Golden Empire; though she had no idea that the Golden Empire tarnished to Silver and later Bronze. Their schism, which was a conflict only in philosophy and ideology, was over Marduk's belief that humanity should live in a state of nature. It contrasted with Nergal's own view of the splendor of the soul and its complexity. "We were always taught to live humbly," she commented again, taking long strides as she waved to other villagers. "At the heart of the village are the Monks. They form a village council; though they only offer guidance and protect us from the wrathful storms of the island." She said as she pointed upwards where the hurricane raged. Her finger then shot forward, pointing toward a large stone temple at the center of the village surrounded by a group of oak trees that shaded it.
"A pleasure to meet you Fya, you may call me Lucifer." The child of tiamat followed the girls lead as she moved with exuberance across the room.

"Emperors you say, I'm afraid I haven't met any humans that call themselves that on the continent, though admittedly I've met some with a penchant for excessively grandiose titles." Lucifer thought back on some of the frankly comical titles people had given themselves after conquering patches of dirt barely as far as the eye could see.

"I must say it is unusual to see such, humble lifestyles here, but a refreshing change of pace. These monks protect you from the storm? Those winds are powerful, presumably they don't stop these winds reaching this place with their humility along though?" Lucifer said a mixture of bemusement and inquisitiveness across his face.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"A pleasure to meet you Fya, you may call me Lucifer." The child of tiamat followed the girls lead as she moved with exuberance across the room.

"Emperors you say, I'm afraid I haven't met any humans that call themselves that on the continent, though admittedly I've met some with a penchant for excessively grandiose titles." Lucifer thought back on some of the frankly comical titles people had given themselves after conquering patches of dirt barely as far as the eye could see.

"I must say it is unusual to see such, humble lifestyles here, but a refreshing change of pace. These monks protect you from the storm? Those winds are powerful, presumably they don't stop these winds reaching this place with their humility along though?" Lucifer said a mixture of bemusement and inquisitiveness across his face.
Fya's brow furrowed for a moment. No emperors? Had the Golden Empire vanished? She set the thought aside from a moment, looking toward the temple. "Grandmaster Iavid," she began, pointing toward the temple, "He maintains the barrier." She frowned for a moment, tilting her eyes downward. "In that temple is Grandmaster Iavid, our elder. He fought in the Great War. You may see him, if you'd like."

Reactions: Keotsu

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
Fya's brow furrowed for a moment. No emperors? Had the Golden Empire vanished? She set the thought aside from a moment, looking toward the temple. "Grandmaster Iavid," she began, pointing toward the temple, "He maintains the barrier." She frowned for a moment, tilting her eyes downward. "In that temple is Grandmaster Iavid, our elder. He fought in the Great War. You may see him, if you'd like."
"Grandmaster, thats quite the title. I would very much like to meet him, I've never seen a barrier quite like this one." Lucifer replied politely.

It seemed these people had little knowledge of the main land, the child of Tiamat wondered just how long it had been since they were there, perhaps that would be a question for this grand master they spoke of.

Waiting for Fya to match his pace or leave, he began to walk in the direction of this person.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"Grandmaster, thats quite the title. I would very much like to meet him, I've never seen a barrier quite like this one." Lucifer replied politely.

It seemed these people had little knowledge of the main land, the child of Tiamat wondered just how long it had been since they were there, perhaps that would be a question for this grand master they spoke of.

Waiting for Fya to match his pace or leave, he began to walk in the direction of this person.
Fya remained behind, motioning for Lucifer to continue on his own, and then turned around, heading back into the village to join her family. The temple was far from a menacing gothic structure like those on the mainland. It, like the rest of the village, was humble. Though it stood out from the wooden structures because of its stone, denoting its symbolic importance. A doorless archway stood before Lucifer, measured at only seven feet. Marduk's Immortals were not particularly tall, making the doorway two feet taller on average than most of the residents of Kamiyasumi. But even more remarkable was within the temple itself. Dimly lit and hardly furnished only four sets of benches and pews lined the back of the room. And at its front was a man in deep meditation, sitting on a dark wood floor cross legged.

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
Fya remained behind, motioning for Lucifer to continue on his own, and then turned around, heading back into the village to join her family. The temple was far from a menacing gothic structure like those on the mainland. It, like the rest of the village, was humble. Though it stood out from the wooden structures because of its stone, denoting its symbolic importance. A doorless archway stood before Lucifer, measured at only seven feet. Marduk's Immortals were not particularly tall, making the doorway two feet taller on average than most of the residents of Kamiyasumi. But even more remarkable was within the temple itself. Dimly lit and hardly furnished only four sets of benches and pews lined the back of the room. And at its front was a man in deep meditation, sitting on a dark wood floor cross legged.
Lucifer entered the room, taking in the ambience, it had a certain tranquility about it and despite the pretentious name this man before him seemed rather understated. So much so that Lucifer wasn't entirely sure it was him.

"Grandmaster Lavid?" He asked inqusitively.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lucifer entered the room, taking in the ambience, it had a certain tranquility about it and despite the pretentious name this man before him seemed rather understated. So much so that Lucifer wasn't entirely sure it was him.

"Grandmaster Lavid?" He asked inqusitively.
"Lavid?" He replied, breaking his meditation and scratching his long, pointed, grey beard before rubbing the top of his bald head. "You'd think after thousands of years here they'd at least get my name right. Or perhaps Mainlanders' ears aren't quite as good, I really couldn't say." The man stood up, causing his brown and white robes to drape outward and follow behind him as he turned to face Lucifer directly. HIs beard was long, falling to just above his waist. "How can I help you, stranger?"

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
"Lavid?" He replied, breaking his meditation and scratching his long, pointed, grey beard before rubbing the top of his bald head. "You'd think after thousands of years here they'd at least get my name right. Or perhaps Mainlanders' ears aren't quite as good, I really couldn't say." The man stood up, causing his brown and white robes to drape outward and follow behind him as he turned to face Lucifer directly. HIs beard was long, falling to just above his waist. "How can I help you, stranger?"
"Did you say thousands of years? Ah another antiquity just like the old king Solomon, well you certainly aged more gracefully. I'm not sure how you can help me however, I'm a stranger to these lands, I followed a friend here but they seem to have vanished. Though I would be interested to know how you are so long lived apparently and what that barrier protecting this place is."

Lucifer fidgeted with the spear on his back as he spoke, sometimes he could swear he felt the tainted weapon thrum with energy he didn't understand. Perhaps it was his imagination.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
"Did you say thousands of years? Ah another antiquity just like the old king Solomon, well you certainly aged more gracefully. I'm not sure how you can help me however, I'm a stranger to these lands, I followed a friend here but they seem to have vanished. Though I would be interested to know how you are so long lived apparently and what that barrier protecting this place is."

Lucifer fidgeted with the spear on his back as he spoke, sometimes he could swear he felt the tainted weapon thrum with energy he didn't understand. Perhaps it was his imagination.
"Barrier, yes, of course." Iavid paused, conflicted emotions in his heart and warring thoughts in his head on whether or not he should explain the barrier's nature to an outsider. "Here, have a seat." He motioned toward one of the pews, taking a seat across from it himself. "Before I explain the nature of the barrier I think it best to give you, an outsider, some historical context. We are the immortal children of Marduk, specifically the sect of people that decided to live in humility and peace and not in splendor, those that built the Golden Empire."

He scratched his head before stroking his beard a single time. "And so we lived here in tranquil splendor here on this island. Most of us never wanted to interfere with how humanity would develop. The mixing of immortals and mortals never was wise." Little known to the Grandmaster, this very situation played out in the transitional period between the Golden and Silver Empires; a period known as the 'Tarnishing.' "But when the Mother returned...everything changed," he sighed before continuing, "The heart you might have seen nearby on the island...it is quite literally the Heart of Enlil, the God of Storms. On the eve of her return the civil war between the gods...Enlil was killed here on this island. His death caused the storm above and to this day its heart sustains it. But what shields us...that is the combined efforts of myself and Lord Basel."

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
"Barrier, yes, of course." Iavid paused, conflicted emotions in his heart and warring thoughts in his head on whether or not he should explain the barrier's nature to an outsider. "Here, have a seat." He motioned toward one of the pews, taking a seat across from it himself. "Before I explain the nature of the barrier I think it best to give you, an outsider, some historical context. We are the immortal children of Marduk, specifically the sect of people that decided to live in humility and peace and not in splendor, those that built the Golden Empire."

He scratched his head before stroking his beard a single time. "And so we lived here in tranquil splendor here on this island. Most of us never wanted to interfere with how humanity would develop. The mixing of immortals and mortals never was wise." Little known to the Grandmaster, this very situation played out in the transitional period between the Golden and Silver Empires; a period known as the 'Tarnishing.' "But when the Mother returned...everything changed," he sighed before continuing, "The heart you might have seen nearby on the island...it is quite literally the Heart of Enlil, the God of Storms. On the eve of her return the civil war between the gods...Enlil was killed here on this island. His death caused the storm above and to this day its heart sustains it. But what shields us...that is the combined efforts of myself and Lord Basel."
"Basel? That is unexpected, though I barely know him he hardly strikes me as the kind protector of mankind, so why does he combine his efforts with you. What do you offer him?" Lucifer replied, surprised at the revelation.

This grandmaster weaved quite the tale, Lucifer was interested in his mentions of Tiamat but Basel had been a thorn in his side from the moment the two met, he couldn't overlook the opportunity to discover more about him, weaknesses to be exploited or just general information it was all useful.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"Basel? That is unexpected, though I barely know him he hardly strikes me as the kind protector of mankind, so why does he combine his efforts with you. What do you offer him?" Lucifer replied, surprised at the revelation.

This grandmaster weaved quite the tale, Lucifer was interested in his mentions of Tiamat but Basel had been a thorn in his side from the moment the two met, he couldn't overlook the opportunity to discover more about him, weaknesses to be exploited or just general information it was all useful.
"We offer him nothing. We're more so..." Iavid scratched his beard once more, brow furrowed. "...his treasures?" He asked, questioning the use of the term himself. Though it was accurate. Basel was not their protector in the normal, human sense of the word. He saw the last remaining Immortals of Marduk as his treasures, curiosities at the far edge of the world that belonged to him as if they were in a museum. "Treasures is probably an apt way to put it, I believe."

• Wow

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,106💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
"We offer him nothing. We're more so..." Iavid scratched his beard once more, brow furrowed. "...his treasures?" He asked, questioning the use of the term himself. Though it was accurate. Basel was not their protector in the normal, human sense of the word. He saw the last remaining Immortals of Marduk as his treasures, curiosities at the far edge of the world that belonged to him as if they were in a museum. "Treasures is probably an apt way to put it, I believe."
"His treasures? You make it sound like you are possessions and not people, are you happy like that, little porcelain dolls locked away in a gilded cage of his making?" Lucifer asked his words dripping with contempt, how easily this old man spoke of entrapment without a hint of emotion besides confusion, where was his righteous anger his desire to escape, were these people all just neutered.

Kin
1,231💸
Kumi
864💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"His treasures? You make it sound like you are possessions and not people, are you happy like that, little porcelain dolls locked away in a gilded cage of his making?" Lucifer asked his words dripping with contempt, how easily this old man spoke of entrapment without a hint of emotion besides confusion, where was his righteous anger his desire to escape, were these people all just neutered.
"I can hear the judgement in your voice, passing it as if you are some arbiter that stands above all others. Are you so ignorant to think I, or others, hadn't considered that before? Our individual lives span thousands of years, do not denigrate us. We saw the rise of the Pantheon, the Great War, and the Civil War that followed." No anger permeated Iavid's voice as he stood there opposite of Lucifer and defended his people. "You were not alive to see the Pantheon's demise, to watch a god be slain so effortlessly, and have its heart brutally ripped from his body and cast aside. And then left trapped on this island as the world around was engulfed by the very storms that Enlil embodied. Unlike some of our brothers and sisters, the Immortals of Marduk that relinquished their positions, we did not. Basel saw to us and came to our aid and protected us from that storm. He did not do it for love, not one soul is fooled by that on this island. We know what he is: the beast that brought down a god."