Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Naruto Gaiden ~Michita Tsuki ga Terasu Michi~ ( Naruto Side Story ~The Path That the Waxing Moon Illuminates~)

I liked it.

It was only 45 pages, but it had a nice little lesson in the end. Orochimaru just put on an act with older Mitsuki so that the new one would learn to make his own decisions like a genuine human instead of blindly following orders as an experiment. Forging your own path is important.

And Orochimaru's behavior... wow. That snake actually does love his children. Never thought he would, but he does. So, all the "jokes" of Orochimaru being a bad parent were proven false in this oneshot- he actually told them "I love you" more times than any of the other parents told their children.

Also, I found it interesting how during the act, older Mitsuki rambled on about how Orochimaru was so selfish and should not have such freedoms to do all that he is now, but Orochimaru retorted that people should regardless of what they've done if what they do in the present is out of genuine love. I don't particularly agree with this (it's up to opinion, but I just think that after a certain point- there's no going back and you cannot go back to the "light side"), but at this point since Orochimaru is a good guy for the sake of the narrative & pushing idealistic themes... well this is the most effective way Kishimoto could close off this issue.

We also saw Mitsuki noting Boruto as a friend, so that's good. It's an acceptable set up for the further continuation of the franchise via their friendship- they're the new Naruto/Sasuke.

And then, aside from all that story development of course pairing fans are going to have fun running with Boruto x Mitsuki and since Kishimoto just had to throw in an immense amount of power for an 11? yr old boy- Mitsuki will gain both haters and band-wagoners due to his snake sage mode reveal this chapter.

tl;dr- Chapter is an 8.5 for me. Liked it better than Sarada's Gaiden and the Boruto movie. But, Mitsuki is my fave of the new gen so that may be a bit biased.

You must be registered for see images

Share your thoughts below

Uzumaki Menma

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Naruto Gaiden ~Michita Tsuki ga Terasu Michi~ ( Naruto Side Story ~The Path That the Waxing Moon Illuminates~)

I liked it.

It was only 45 pages, but it had a nice little lesson in the end. Orochimaru just put on an act with older Mitsuki so that the new one would learn to make his own decisions like a genuine human instead of blindly following orders as an experiment. Forging your own path is important.

And Orochimaru's behavior... wow. That snake actually does love his children. Never thought he would, but he does. So, all the "jokes" of Orochimaru being a bad parent were proven false in this oneshot- he actually told them "I love you" more times than any of the other parents told their children.

Also, I found it interesting how during the act, older Mitsuki rambled on about how Orochimaru was so selfish and should not have such freedoms to do all that he is now, but Orochimaru retorted that people should regardless of what they've done if what they do in the present is out of genuine love. I don't particularly agree with this (it's up to opinion, but I just think that after a certain point- there's no going back and you cannot go back to the "light side"), but at this point since Orochimaru is a good guy for the sake of the narrative & pushing idealistic themes... well this is the most effective way Kishimoto could close off this issue.

We also saw Mitsuki noting Boruto as a friend, so that's good. It's an acceptable set up for the further continuation of the franchise via their friendship- they're the new Naruto/Sasuke.

And then, aside from all that story development of course pairing fans are going to have fun running with Boruto x Mitsuki and since Kishimoto just had to throw in an immense amount of power for an 11? yr old boy- Mitsuki will gain both haters and band-wagoners due to his snake sage mode reveal this chapter.

tl;dr- Chapter is an 8.5 for me. Liked it better than Sarada's Gaiden and the Boruto movie. But, Mitsuki is my fave of the new gen so that may be a bit biased.

You must be registered for see images

Share your thoughts below
Credit to somebody else who came up with this idea but I hope he's using Mitsuki to achieve his perfect vessel plan. Would be awesome to see that version of the snake again.

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In my opinion it was pretty weird. Definitely better than the Naruto Gaiden, but story wise, no character progression or development for me to accept that it was better than the Boruto Movie.

Either way it was an interesting chapter. I'm still confused about a number of things, and I don't know what to think about Mitsuki and Boruto's relationship, too much lame bromance for me. Plus this basically side lines the third member if they start wanking the males again. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Still I'm curious on what Mitsuki wants to do. Mitsuki having Sage Mode was cool though. I hope Boruto doesn't get it in the future.

Ansatsuken

Supreme
Kin
4,798💸
Kumi
649💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I like the story also and put aside thing like bromance or parallelism.

I think my guessing is right, Mitsuki is lab experiment, created and nurtured using some method I think incubator until he fully developed as a baby.

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Credit to somebody else who came up with this idea but I hope he's using Mitsuki to achieve his perfect vessel plan. Would be awesome to see that version of the snake again.
That would defeat the entire purpose behind this one shot and what he said during the War arc, while also making Kakashi/Naruto who were/are Hokage's look worse (if Orochimaru is still up to his harmful shenanigans).

You are free to hope, but I doubt that will be the case.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked it.
I didn't.

But if the older Mitsuki gets along with him, why wouldn't the younger one? It seems like the older one does understand the lesson of being your own person, or else how would he understand the importance of helping teach the younger? Without context, this whole experiment doesn't make much sense, and it needs context, really, even for a one-shot. Maybe I didn't understand the one-shot though.

Sad, but true.

I understand Orochimaru's viewpoint of "Why shouldn't I be able to have a child and love that child if I want to," which is a healthy message. What I don't understand is this weird experiment he has to perform. As far as Orochimaru goes...I guess it's the best we could expect.

So long as this friendship is more consistently healthy and has a more interesting dynamic than rivalry, conflict and eventually mutual understanding. Aside from that, people have pointed out that the degree to which this chapter emphasized Boruto and Mitsuki instead of including Sarada more is unfortunate, because there's really no reason not to make Sarada equally central. Plotwise, Orochimaru must know of Sarada. So why is she excluded from this Sun/Moon thing?

I think it's unfortunate that we're skipping straight to transformations and OP abilities. Still missing the old days of shurikenjutsu and cool tricks. :(

I mean, I said in other posts that I disliked this in comparison to Gaiden, but I actually think it's on the same level. Plot seems kind of manufactured and dry. :/

My own opinions outside of what was said in this thread:

-Adult Mitsuki looks a little too similar to Tobirama. I actually almost didn't get that he was a clone when I first saw him, I thought Kishi's art-style was just limited XD

-Clone twist was way too predictable, amnesia is cliched as hell, it's basically Shadow the Hedgehog

Dr Gilgamesh

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Loving Orochimaru's development and Mitsuki looks like an interesting character. The Mitsuki and Boruto dynamic feels kinda wacky and forced tho.

I'd give it a 4/5, better than Gaiden by a long shot.

Reactions: Chie

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Clay said my very thoughts.
Loving Orochimaru's development and Mitsuki looks like an interesting character. The Mitsuki and Boruto dynamic feels kinda wacky and forced tho.

I'd give it a 4/5, better than Gaiden by a long shot.
Agreed. The whole Moon/Sun bull shit has gone on way too long.

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I didn't.
Understandable.
But if the older Mitsuki gets along with him, why wouldn't the younger one? It seems like the older one does understand the lesson of being your own person, or else how would he understand the importance of helping teach the younger? Without context, this whole experiment doesn't make much sense, and it needs context, really, even for a one-shot. Maybe I didn't understand the one-shot though.
I don't think this is an issue in that sense as the older Mitsuki and younger Mitsuki are the same type of clone but still different beings. They are free to have different thoughts.

What this made me wonder is why Orochimaru would create a second Mitsuki if the first one is actually on good terms with him. Maybe, he just wanted more than one child. lol
Sad, but true.
Kind of unrealistic that someone like him is a better parent than most of the other ones in the cast, but... ah well. xD
I understand Orochimaru's viewpoint of "Why shouldn't I be able to have a child and love that child if I want to," which is a healthy message. What I don't understand is this weird experiment he has to perform. As far as Orochimaru goes...I guess it's the best we could expect.
I understood it as well and know Kishimoto wanted to give his audience a good message. It's just the messenger that leads to me raising an eyebrow.

@bold- He wanted to start raising his own creations, to be a parent. :sdo:
So long as this friendship is more consistently healthy and has a more interesting dynamic than rivalry, conflict and eventually mutual understanding. Aside from that, people have pointed out that the degree to which this chapter emphasized Boruto and Mitsuki instead of including Sarada more is unfortunate, because there's really no reason not to make Sarada equally central. Plotwise, Orochimaru must know of Sarada. So why is she excluded from this Sun/Moon thing?
It is unfortunate. I think that after this point, she's going to be the "Sakura" of the group. Kishimoto has put his female characters in each trio on the sidelines for years- one Gaiden where Sarada was front and center won't change that most likely. But, this could always be wrong.
I think it's unfortunate that we're skipping straight to transformations and OP abilities. Still missing the old days of shurikenjutsu and cool tricks. :(
11 yr old boy w/ Sage mode. Yeah, it was too OP. But, now I can laugh at the bandwagon effect (along w/ haters) that Mitsuki will receive, so it evens out imo. :3

I mean, I said in other posts that I disliked this in comparison to Gaiden, but I actually think it's on the same level. Plot seems kind of manufactured and dry. :/
I think it's better than Gaiden since it answered some questions as to what Mitsuki actually was and what Orochimaru has been doing all this time as well as what side he's on & why they'd let him go.

Gaiden went in a circle- it was a story to confirm that Sakura/Sasuke were Sarada's parents and that Sarada can accept bonds that aren't blood ties... when in reality Sakura/Sasuke are her blood ties. xD
My own opinions outside of what was said in this thread:

-Adult Mitsuki looks a little too similar to Tobirama. I actually almost didn't get that he was a clone when I first saw him, I thought Kishi's art-style was just limited XD

-Clone twist was way too predictable, amnesia is cliched as hell, it's basically Shadow the Hedgehog
[/quote]

Well, it was pretty predictable that he'd be an experiment/clone. Orochimaru wasn't ever going to have a kid through regular means and most people called that he'd be created in a lab.

WalksInShadows

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the story read like it might as well have been in the gaiden to me, since it was basically a testament to how uber bored Orochimaru must be in this day and age to have felt the need to go through that much trouble for the kid Mitsuki to learn how to make decisions for him instead of just telling him.

It seemed like all that drama was built up as an excuse for another sage mode reveal tbh. All in all, the moral was pretty good when i remember ppl in the main story who proved to be incapable of thinking for themselves. I'd be the first to say Orochimaru is at the very least the only living person who was qualified to teach somebody that lesson, but wtf was up with him and that bun? xd

Last edited:

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What this made me wonder is why Orochimaru would create a second Mitsuki if the first one is actually on good terms with him. Maybe, he just wanted more than one child. lol
That's what I'm saying, this whole endeavor doesn't really make sense XD

Kind of unrealistic that someone like him is a better parent than most of the other ones in the cast, but... ah well. xD
Yeah, the problem is that this version of Orochimaru's character kind of...doesn't have a reason to be this way. I don't know where he would have learned about parental love. Maybe he'll have a flashback to being in a seal in Sasuke during the Sauce vs. Itachi fight XD

@bold- He wanted to start raising his own creations, to be a parent. :sdo:
By "experiment," I meant this whole "face your future self and decide" thing.

It is unfortunate. I think that after this point, she's going to be the "Sakura" of the group. Kishimoto has put his female characters in each trio on the sidelines for years- one Gaiden where Sarada was front and center won't change that most likely. But, this could always be wrong.
I can't express how frustrated I am with Kenshin's refusal to just make female characters more consistently prominent. XD But I'm not gonna say she'll be the "Sakura" of the group, because Kishi put a reminder not to forget about her this time (the Sharingan). :D

11 yr old boy w/ Sage mode. Yeah, it was too OP. But, now I can laugh at the bandwagon effect (along w/ haters) that Mitsuki will receive, so it evens out imo. :3
The biggest problem with this is that the main characters in the manga at the start had drawbacks to using these kinds of powers (Sharingan makes you blind/drains stamina, Kyuubi mode could unseal the Kyuubi), but the only drawback to Sage Mode is the drawback I know Kishi has forgotten, that if you absorb too much natural energy you can get corrupted by it. XD So there's like no tension anymore.

I think it's better than Gaiden since it answered some questions as to what Mitsuki actually was and what Orochimaru has been doing all this time as well as what side he's on & why they'd let him go.
I can understand this. It wasn't really a question I cared about all that much, but I can see why other people would be happy.

Gaiden went in a circle- it was a story to confirm that Sakura/Sasuke were Sarada's parents and that Sarada can accept bonds that aren't blood ties... when in reality Sakura/Sasuke are her blood ties. xD
Ah, this freaking Gilmore Girls subplot XD