May someone explain why Snake Sage Mode is called Dragon Sage Mode?

Invsblphntm

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
As we know the Toad, the Slug, and the Snake are always in trios. [ ]

The Sage Mode attained by Jiraiya and Naruto, both of which summon toads, is called Toad Sage Mode. This is typically agreed upon, correct?

Then why is the Sage Mode attained by Kabuto [and soon Orochimaru], both of which summon snakes, called Dragon Sage Mode? Anyone got any ideas?

A possible explanation could be when Kabuto stated he was a "dragon" in response to Sasuke comparing him to Orochimaru.. [ ]

However, that statement does not imply that the Sage Mode used by Kabuto is "Dragon" Sage Mode and it was clearly Kabuto's attempt to say he has surpassed Orochimaru, which feels the need to state several times due to his lack of identity [which Itachi notes]. [ ]

So what has possessed everyone to say "Dragon Sage Mode"? It honestly makes no sense in my mind...

Invsblphntm

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
In certain mythology, dragons and snakes are in the same serpent classification.
How does that relate to Naruto exactly? Certain mythology may point to many things as well, but why is Snake Sage Mode called Dragon Sage Mode if the manga does not point to it being called that at all?

Snakes evolve into Dragons.
If snakes evolve into dragons, that means there is a Snake Sage Mode, correct? And if there is a stage above Snake Sage Mode called "Dragon Sage Mode", that would imply there is a stage above Toad Sage Mode, right?

Simple answer is there is no such thing as Dragon Sage Mode.

snakes dragons and serpents are all in the same boat
Toads and frogs are in the same boat yet it is not called Frog Sage Mode.

Corgi

Banned
Elite
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
If snakes evolve into dragons, that means there is a Snake Sage Mode, correct? And if there is a stage above Snake Sage Mode called "Dragon Sage Mode", that would imply there is a stage above Toad Sage Mode, right?

Well, I'm not too familiar with mythology, but I don't know of any myths that show frogs evolving.

So no, why would there be something above Toad Sage? Kabuto himself stated he was a Dragon.

Strata Uchiha

Elite
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
How does that relate to Naruto exactly? Certain mythology may point to many things as well, but why is Snake Sage Mode called Dragon Sage Mode if the manga does not point to it being called that at all?

Toads and frogs are in the same boat yet it is not called Frog Sage Mode.
Dunno. Kishimoto will probably mention this in a databook that comes out.

Invsblphntm

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
Well, I'm not too familiar with mythology, but I don't know of any myths that show frogs evolving.

So no, why would there be something above Toad Sage? Kabuto himself stated he was a Dragon.
Kabuto stated he was a Dragon to say he was even above Orochimaru, who is quite obviously associated with the Snake. This is evident from him quite frequently stating he was above Orochimaru [he got Sage Mode, he perfected Edo Tensei, he was closer to the Rikudo Senin] and just because he stated he was a Dragon does not imply that the Sage Mode he had was "Dragon Sage Mode". You can not just assume that his Sage Mode, instead of being called Snake Sage Mode like it logically makes sense, is called "Dragon Sage Mode" due to him saying he is a Dragon. That is just silly.

Troyg39

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, Kabuto said something about him perfecting his Sage Mode beyond a level that Oro did. It may not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. If Oro's Sage Mode was Snake Sage Mode, then Kabuto's more perfected version is considered "Dragon Sage Mode" by fans as a way to show distinction between the two.

In Japanese mythology, their dragons are depicted as wingless, serpentine creatures, just like your typical snake, which is why they are present together in many Japanese legends.

It's really not that big of a deal for you to be making such a fuss over it anyway. Having a "Dragon Snake Mode" doesn't suggest there's a level beyond toad sage mode because toads have never been associated with other creatures in Japanese mythology or any mythology like the snake and Dragon. Each Sage Mode is unique with unique abilities. Why you feel they need to have the same number of "modes" is beyond me

Last edited:

-Spoiler-

Elite
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
Due to juugo ability that kabuto got, with it he could remain in sage mode indefinitely since he can asborb senjutsu while moving. it would make it above other sage mode users, so he said he has ascended from snake to dragon.

Invsblphntm

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, Kabuto said something about him perfecting his Sage Mode beyond a level that Oro did. It may not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. If Oro's Sage Mode was Snake Sage Mode, then Kabuto's more perfected version is considered "Dragon Sage Mode" by fans as a way to show distinction between the two.

In Japanese mythology, their dragons are depicted as wingless, serpentine creatures, just like your typical snake, which is why they are present together in many Japanese legends.

It's really not that big of a deal for you to be making such a fuss over it anyway
Let me explain why your whole post is foolish.

Kabuto did not "perfect" the Sage Mode beyond Orochimaru. Orochimaru could never attain Sage Mode due to him lacking the proper body for him to control Natural energy. Kabuto only conducted Sage Mode due to the many experiments he conducted upon himself to upgrade his body. Orochimaru never had a Sage Mode. Stop fabricating facts, you are mistaken.

Even though they are associated with one another does not mean that they are equivalent. A toad and a frog are not the same, Toad Sage Mode does not equal Frog Sage Mode.

And I'm not making a fuss about it, I'm asking a legitimate question, and I was hoping someone would have a legitimate answer, which clearly you do not.

Reactions: KingHashirama

Invsblphntm

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
I honestly think he ascended to a Dragon SM. Snakes do not grow horns, and Kabuto had horns because he became a DRAGON. People just don't want to face that Kabuto reached a new level of Sage Mode.
If he ascended past Snake Sage Mode, that means Toad Sage Mode can be surpassed, right? Then why is Naruto's Sage Mode considered perfect? And what would be the name of the ascended Toad Sage Mode? Frog Sage Mode?

And he has horns because he is an imperfect Sage, like Jiraiya [note his nose and legs]. And Snakes don't have horns? The Great White Snake possesses a hat that has horns on it, extremely similar to Kabuto's horns... [ ] What more proof do you want?

People just don't want to face that Kabuto merely had an imperfect Snake Sage Mode, nothing new.