Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No. It is not, but the similarities are justified. Not many people know this; but the author of Hunter x Hunter was Kishimoto's mentor. Them having similarities is not farfetched at all since they know the same drawing techniques.
Are you suggesting that it's okay to copy a whole storyline from your mentor's story or are you saying the similarities are minor and fall under being similarities in style?

Transcendence

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Are you suggesting that it's okay to copy a whole storyline from your mentor's story or are you saying the similarities are minor and fall under being similarities in style?
Did I state that in my response at all? Stop assuming.

If an author mentored somebody in the EXACT SAME FIELD of work, do you not think that they would share ideas? :|

'Kurapika

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm curious to how so?
Hunter x Hunter was serialize first.
Did I state that in my response at all? Stop assuming.

If an author mentored somebody in the EXACT SAME FIELD of work, do you not think that they would share ideas? :|
You said

It is not a ripoff
the similarities are justified
the author of Hunter x Hunter was Kishimoto's mentor

So, by that, you're either suggesting it's not a ripoff because the similarities are are small enough to be a style passed on from mentor to student. However, that would be true if the similarities were with personalities, or even the core of the story, like the main character not being raised by his parents. But Togashi being Kishimoto's mentor doesn't justify copying a story and just changing some names and abilities.

Tosen

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i can show many similar character and situations from other manga... goku= first part and early shipuuden naruto or vegeta=sasuke
Even though you may never see this comment, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Don't compare that bad ass mtf from dbz to a punk kid!