[Discussion] How could you make yourself believe in religion?

Red-Robin

Regular
Kin
2,922💸
Kumi
14,033💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
^ Thread title, let me explain

Basically when I was a kid up until I'd say about 12 years old I was 'taught' that Christianity was the right religion, and slowly I guess I drifted away from that thinking as I grew older and myself and my family moved from Florida to New York and subsequently we stopped going to church for whatever reason.
Thing is I never really understood anything that was going on in church, as I was too young to really, and all I ever knew was that not believing was a ticket to hell and bad things would happen to you, yada yada.

So I kind of just fell off from it I guess, because I figured that I cant force myself to believe in anything I just don't, and I still never had anything repeated to me about it other than, "if you don't follow this teaching you'll go to hell". It was just a way to force me to, I guess, say I believe in Jesus and Christianity, because its the right thing to do and anyone who doesn't follow in the churches footsteps are wicked or somethin.

I think what I'm called now is an "Agnostic Theist", which is just a way of saying I believe in a "God" but I don't really follow any religion or any specific god. But thats of my own choice, and is just something I feel myself without having to be told of any muddy consequences to not follow certain rules or believe in anything different.
Religion is a tricky subject to try and rationalize since it's based entirely on the premise of faith. Frankly I've never been much a fan of practiced religion or the "institution" that it has become. It someone finds comfort in the belief if a higher power and treats that as their guiding star throughout their life to do right by others and themselves in order to sustain a sense of righteousness and worthiness, then I see no harm whatsoever in that way of thinking. You can look at one religion and cross-reference it with another, find similarities and products that are entirely different to one another. Each different interpretations of a power seemingly beyond comprehension, only capable of being referred to as "omnipotence."

There's a saying that suggests that the Bible is history's greatest best selling fictional novel. There's a part of me that wants to say "don't be silly, you don't know it's fiction, all about having faith." But that's not necessarily true if you really think about it. The Bible and similar texts all throughout the world have a similarity of being governed by the will and testament of a living "Prophet" whom claimed to know the will of "God." These Prophets were not God themselves, and no one ever saw or heard the same message they did supposedly. So who's to say it wasn't all made up, an episode of heat stroke, maybe they were just really good at pretending something was real that they fooled themselves into believe it too? Who really knows? It's all a matter of interpretation and whether or not you believe that to be actually possible.

So to really summarize the point, you can't "make" yourself believe in religion. You can follow it, pick and choose lessons of it to follow or even all together disregard it; maybe even make your life goal the achievement of debunking it like some people do. It all boils down to your own individual faith. You can entirely believe in God but not practice Christianity or any other religion, that's entirely possible and -contrary to popular belief- not something that would necessarily be wrong. I've heard a saying that each of us have our own relationship with God, so it'd be silly to suggest "if you don't live in the same house as him, then you can't be friends." You can ask the question and wonder to yourself about it without believing and still be able to go about living a life indifferent to the conclusion. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable and helps you view the world and the many intricacies it has. ✌

404_exe

Kin
139💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with Red-Robin, believe in whatever brings you comfort, in whatever you understand. Many people believe in the extraordinary because they have a problem, an issue and thinking that a superb being can help you, save a family member, stop a tragedy from happening is comforting. In my (very humble) opinion, religion has been created and has been forced to bring order in the world, in society. These are ways to live by, rules to live by, that help you make "right" decisions, guide you in the "right" path. I think that this can be very good because people who follow the rules feel like they have guidance in life. A good kind of restriction. Me personally, I think that people who follow these rules can be close-minded. Yes, this guidance helps you make decisions that are considered good in our society, so you'll have a normal life, a right path and you will be accepted. But this is also limiting, in the way that you are not really free. If you can live normally by not abiding by these rules, if you can think bigger, you are more advanced in a way. You are more free, you can set your own morals, have your ideas and thoughts on fundamental issue like life, this world, our existence in general. Thus, I'm an atheist.

But these are my own thoughts, my opinion. You can believe in whatever you want, just don't let yourself be influenced by others in a bad way.

Reactions: Premfection

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yea it's honestly as if people think that they need religion to have morals. I think it's a good way to guide yourself and others into knowing right from wrong, but surely religion isnt needed for that.
Like I believe I'm a good person all in all without needing to go to church or reading the bible so I just find that dumb. I also agree with red_robin that we all have our own relationship with god. To be perfectly honest, I feel like I'm too much of a sinner to be a christian anyway. As in, my lifestyle and things I do are probably not things a christian believer would approve of (ie. Having a tattoo)

Like you said, its limiting, I'd rather be a good person by my own standards and not have a book tell me what to do.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with Red-Robin, believe in whatever brings you comfort, in whatever you understand. Many people believe in the extraordinary because they have a problem, an issue and thinking that a superb being can help you, save a family member, stop a tragedy from happening is comforting. In my (very humble) opinion, religion has been created and has been forced to bring order in the world, in society. These are ways to live by, rules to live by, that help you make "right" decisions, guide you in the "right" path. I think that this can be very good because people who follow the rules feel like they have guidance in life. A good kind of restriction. Me personally, I think that people who follow these rules can be close-minded. Yes, this guidance helps you make decisions that are considered good in our society, so you'll have a normal life, a right path and you will be accepted. But this is also limiting, in the way that you are not really free. If you can live normally by not abiding by these rules, if you can think bigger, you are more advanced in a way. You are more free, you can set your own morals, have your ideas and thoughts on fundamental issue like life, this world, our existence in general. Thus, I'm an atheist.

But these are my own thoughts, my opinion. You can believe in whatever you want, just don't let yourself be influenced by others in a bad way.
Red Bobi is wrong...becuz its our duty to kestion this existence origines and whole creation and why we r here...it's our duty to find truth..and not just choose to ignore tings and try find life choices that make us feel confortable...