Fox apologizes for X-Men: Apocalypse promo image of Jennifer Lawrence being strangled

UltraPain

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Honestly before reading this and just looking at the poster I didn't see it as a gender thing. To me mystique is one of the most popular and recognizable mutants and its crazy to see someone besting her so easily in a fight. So for me, it just shows that Apocalypse is a tier above the mutants we have seen so far. Its the same as when we saw trailers of Dragon Ball: Battle of the Gods and we saw Beerus annhiliating Goku and Vegeta. Its just a way to show the audience that there is a bigger, new threat.

Anyways, FreakensteinAG is right. If it was reversed then there would be no issue. It would also be funny if Apocalypse was a girl too lol.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I mean in all honesty they could've picked a stronger/more popular character other than mystique.
That too but it's a stupid poster to begin with.

People really related this to gender roles, what the hell?

For a moment forget anything you know about the movie and character. Instead, just focus on the image and the slogan only and size of the billboards and you may understand their objection better.

In the movie the action sequence comes of differently. But the poster is just a static image devoid of the context. And when you look at it from that angle it's similar to poster where a villain is abusing a random woman.

Now compare it with other posters, all of which show rest of the superheroes using their superpowers. Mystique is not considered that powerful to make a point about a godly Villain's badassery either. He was able to bang up even Xavier and yet the professor wasn't used in the image. IMO, it would have seemed more even comparison and yet more evil ( since bashing on a handicapped ) if that was the intention.

It's not exactly offensive to me personally, but from the POV of advertising and promotion of the movie to new people it's a bad choice. I agree with people who are calling it dumb and bland.

Crappy femminists strike again. The picture has a clear context to all who actually know jack about X-Men.
That's one of the points, isn't it? Were they promoting the movie only to those who already know Xmen and plot of the movie or hoped to gather some new audience for future too?

Last edited:

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's one of the points, isn't it? Were they promoting the movie only to those who already know Xmen and plot of the movie or hoped to gather some new audience for future too?
Considering how this is the ninth installment in the franchise, the reboot of a reboot of an already existing line-up of movies which absolutely cannot be properly understood and whose viewing experience is 100% reliant on the previous nine movies, I'm pretty sure the targeted audience here are the people that have actually seen the previous movies and know what's going on.

But then again, I may be wrong and it's quite probable that the marketing company and Fox completely threw it all in the trash and decided that this is a movie anyone can jump into thinking they'll see Superman pop in, cuz who the heck are X-Men right? :rolleyes:

You mean Jean ( not the one in NB :p ) destroying Apocalypse ( spoiler alert ) ? though some can say its phoenix force .
Well **** you, good sir cuz spoiler tag was too hard to put up.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Considering how this is the ninth installment in the franchise, the reboot of a reboot of an already existing line-up of movies which absolutely cannot be properly understood and whose viewing experience is 100% reliant on the previous nine movies, I'm pretty sure the targeted audience here are the people that have actually seen the previous movies and know what's going on.

But then again, I may be wrong and it's quite probable that the marketing company and Fox completely threw it all in the trash and decided that this is a movie anyone can jump into thinking they'll see Superman pop in, cuz who the heck are X-Men right? :rolleyes:
Yep. You may think people like you are the only audience but if they want to hold on to milking this franchise, they want that 12 year old too who may be watching it for the first time or the 8 year olds who have only watched the posters so far and may not see one of these movies for another couple or more years. Plus they are trying to catch the global market.

And let me assure you very few people know any of the previous movie here. The theater was still so empty that movie was to start at 1:10 PM and I was able to get the best seats easily at 1:05. We have intermissions here and usually we get ads during that time- we had few generic ones but then we ended up watching the plain screen for some time. And they didn't even bother to run the end credits for this one. It was later only that I learned it had a few important scenes that may be used later. In contrast Kung fu Panda and avengers etc were hard to get. And they covered it completely and even after the end credits they kept showing promos of other movies.

So yeah.. Fox apologized because they want more audience to hang on. It's business.

Last edited:

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yep. You may think people like you are the only audience but if they want to hold on to milking this franchise, they want that 12 year old too who may be watching it for the first time or the 8 year olds who have only watched the posters so far and may not see one of these movies for another couple or more years. Plus they are trying to catch the global market.
People like me? Sorry, but I'm not into X-Men. The point is that the targeted audience for this movie are obviously the ones that stuck with the franchise for so long. The point was that one should check out what he's complaining about before complaining about it. Here they're complaining about the poster portraying violence against women when in reality it's a popular face of a super hero team that went up against a godly character and is getting her ass kicked.

Welcome to comics.

And let me assure you very few people know any of the previous movie here. The theater was still so empty that movie was to start at 1:10 PM and I was able to get the best seats easily at 1:05. We have intermissions here and usually we get ads during that time- we had few generic ones but then we ended up watching the plain screen for some time. And they didn't even bother to run the end credits for this one. It was later only that I learned it had a few important scenes that may be used later. In contrast Kung fu Panda and avengers etc were hard to get. And they covered it completely and even after the end credits they kept showing promos of other movies.
People at your place aren't particularly interested in X-Men, got it. Why are you telling me this again?

So yeah.. Fox apologized because they want more audience to hang on. It's business.
OR, or because they don't want negative publicity hindering the movie's already mixed reception. Ofcourse they want more people to see the movie, the point is those people should actually know what movie they're watching. Knowing what happened in the previous movies is crucial in understanding the new movies. That's how these franchises work. Regardless, this doesn't have anything to do with what I originally said - people complain while being oblivious to the context. Why don't we ban all violent imaginery from public life cuz each one will be accused of promoting some sort of violence? :|

Reactions: Kishi Uzumaki

Funky Tiger

Veteran
Kin
41💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That is a picture of Apocalypse choking his enemy from the movie, Mystique. Not Oscar Isaac choking JLaw, the **** are people getting offended for?

Dont mean to make the fedora wielding 9gag-ish "hurr durr but if it were reverse/d00d choking d00d the evil feminist womyn wont get mad" argument but I do guess that it wouldn't have been an issue if it was Storm choking Mystique.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So if a guy did it to a guy it would be ok?
Depends. It would be still stupid point to make if he is not someone who ranks high enough in power scale. It's like showing Madara stabbing Sakura on poster and expecting people to think Madara is badass because he was able to stab her. It may make him look mean enough but not strong enough. Replacing her with Iruka won't help much.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the complaints are result of being on a mainstream level in the internet age, feminism isnt the problem here. if anything is to blame its how much weight these social media sites have on how the mass majority views something or a brand. taking it down just adds to that "appealing to everyone" business mentality that kills art

this poster is silly and a bad move though. im not saying the intent was sexist but how did the business team miss this? the mass majority of humans are female, the majority of females arent that into the X-men. is it really that profound to believe that someone would be offended by seeing some random chick getting chocked out while driving down the street?

the villainy excuse was also poor but effective for not being labeled sexist. youre trying to appeal to X-men fans supposably with this right? why Mystique of all the many X-men? Mystique isnt a known good or bad character, throughout the series shes just looking out for mutants and respects Magneto. sometimes in not the most morally right way but sometimes she does the right thing. wouldnt it be more villainous to show Apolocolyspe chocking out Magneto? the guy who doesnt care who lives or dies for his cause. the guy whose always been known as the anti of the X-men and a world where humans are beneath mutants?

foolishness all around