Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,027💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
On second thoughts I don't think there is a need to restrict the likes feature. For now, a rule should be enough. If people don't follow the rule then disabling can be taken into consideration.

Shanks

Elite
Kin
2,712💸
Kumi
974💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i'm really glad you got where i was coming from! thanks for the awesome game, and i hope to see you in the future, bud. :)

if you guys don't find it's necessary, that's totally fine haha. it was just odd and potentially could lead to angleshooting arguments or thoughts. i've never seen it on mafia forums, or it's always been disabled in the mafia section before i begin playing. i'll ask around
Lmao we will be playing soon together not that far mate.

Last edited:

Poison

Veteran
Kin
2,929💸
Kumi
487💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
it is that time of the day where i have nothing else to do and remembered i promised to do this, so i guess i'll just start here :p.

before i begin, i'd like to make it clear that in no way are my suggestions meant to be taken as demands or as arrogance deriving from a superior feeling. i'd just like to offer my thoughts on how this mafia game turned out to improve an already good start and to make sure that mafia doesn't die out here! if you disagree with me, that's entirely okay, as this is your guys' forum, but feel free to talk with me about certain aspects, too. i'm always open to discussion.

the first thing i noticed right off the bat with this game was the host involvement. on most mafia sites, it is very rare for a host to be involved and even make posts that encourage players to get serious and the like. personally, i believe that @Shanks did a wonderful job for a first time host on a first time forum, so this isn't an attack against his character or even hosting, it is a remark upon what i deem a mistake due to lack of experience. within this, i thought that posts like encouraging players to get serious early on was an egregious use of hosting as encouraging players to do anything that has to do with their play is already toeing the line. i also thought it was very unhelpful for the mafia as a mafia strategy, it's more beneficial for them to keep everyone entertained and not too serious as that means there's less pressure on the mafia. the only way to encourage good town play that involves analysis and serious discussion day 1 is to lead by example as forcing play not only leads to a narrowing of strategy that players from either alignment can partake in, but it also creates an awkward and forced scenario that can hurt some player's reads or thoughts as well.

i also noticed that the hosts and some of the players (including dead players), were liking players posts. i don't have a problem with the like function in a mafia setting to a certain extent. however, when hosts and dead players begin to like posts, that leads to a very angleshooty situation. players begin to think things like, "well, if the host liked my post, then that means i'm getting close to the right answer!" this is a very angleshooty thought for a player to have, and even in some cases it can offer said player an advantage over another player that they would never have in a real life mafia game. if you need me to reiterate what angleshooting is, i'm always happy to talk it over! i remember already having to talk about it once because i noticed quite a few times that people who were unfamiliar with mafia were resorting to these arguments to substantiate claims that others were mafia, and that's generally a no no on mafia sites i am familiar with.

disregarding actual discrepancies with the mafia game, i'd like to talk about the players for a moment. i thought the scum played excellent enough with a serious shout out to poison. i would have liked the mafia team to have taken a more firm stance in the game thread and garnered control from the town by working hard to craft fake analysis to persuade the town to follow them, but this is more level 2 play not fitting for a first game. therefore, i thought the scum played to the best of their abilites. my advice for the mafia team then in this case is to not group themselves so strongly together in the future. by looking at how everyone voted in the previous days, i was able to identify the mafia with pretty pinpoint reads that caused them to fall apart late game by not having a strong presence the early days. next time, the mafia should work hard to establish control early on and try to keep associations with each other to a minimum as to prevent players from making easy teams with others. for the serial killer @Poison chan, you played wonderfully in a way i didn't expect. your tone was extremely townie, and you felt very natural in comparison to everyone else. that's level 2 play that really caught me off guard, and the attempts at faking analysis and deep thought are also things i appreciate now in post game. that was really impressive, and i hope you keep playing.

now, for town, there was a bit of a learning curve for pretty much everyone. i think the main problem was that nobody really knew what the right balance of passive and aggressive was. day 1 everyone was way too passive in solving the game. mafia is a game where even if you have no information, you create information and create reads off of this. by taking a long time to get serious and by not pressuring anyone, even if you didn't believe in a scumread on them, you allowed an atmosphere that generated no information for you guys to make a lynch that would give you further information down the road and would also clear up a lot of questions you wouldn't have to answer later. then, the next couple of days, people started tunneling others and getting so focused on a read that their information generation also resulted in a net negative. by focusing primarily on one person, you're ignoring all the reactions that other people are making to yours and your opponents interaction which is arguably the most important part of pressuring someone. you should constantly be aware of how people are reacting to what's going on and who's laying low and who isn't. scum got away with laying low a lot because town was going after the wrong members in a case that lead town to hurt themselves a lot early on. disregarding that, i think the rest of what i saw will be fixed with experience, so i'm excited to see how further games pan out.

if anything else comes to mind, i'll be sure to put it when i remember. hope you guys had fun and continue playing mafia. thanks again for having me!-
I got complimented. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.