Kumi
7,554💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I will send it you
YAY!!!
Post automatically merged:

"There is no Danish Christmas without our famous beer."

Normally you would start of this wonderful time with a lot of food, a lot of presents and being together with your family, however here in Denmark we also emphasize on the more important things in live, such as singing christmas songs about a place that is not our own, an example of this is our infamous song: Jul i Angora.

You must be registered for see medias

Now that we have song this beautiful song, it is time to be with the family and have a nice time, eating a delicious dinner consisting of: Flæskesteg, Rødkål, Brune kartoffler, brown sauce, wine, beer, snaps and much more.

You must be registered to see images
After having dinner, we generally have our lovely Risengrød.

Hope you enjoyed our lovely dinner and our christmas song before. However, now it is time to dance around the christmas tree.

When we dance around the christmas tree, we sing christmas songs, and songs from the bible. A lovely time really, however what comes after is the joy of sitting together with your family while watching as people open each others presents, eat homemade cookies and drink whatever we want. When we have children, we make sure that Santa Claus comes and gives them presents because it brings joy to them.

Now this is our lovely christmas evening on the 24th, I would like to share some recipes, the first being the danish roasted pork, which is a specialty or at least that is what we believe.

That above link leads you to a recipe that is at a reasonable condition, however, every family makes it differently.

Here is for Risengrød:

This one is also made somewhat differently but we love it very much.

Finally we have something of a tradition at my place, from the first of december until the 24th we watch a Christmas Calender show on television, the most famous, is The Julekalender. Here is a taste of what it is.

I hope you enjoyed it all :D

So Thank you for reading, and from all of us, to all of you. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Мир Божији! Христос се роди!
You must be registered for see images
My parents and grandparents are Orthodox Christians and they follow different calendar from the rest of the world; That means that Christmas that I celebrated all my life was on 7th of January and not on 25th of December. In the part of Balkans (south of Europe) where I grew up we decorated Christmas tree for New Year and Santa Claus was giving presents for New Year not Christmas. Granted the Christmas tree stayed decorated until the arrival of our New Year which is on the 14th of January. Fun fact: I don´t know where it came from but in the part of Balkans where I grew up in we considered that Santa Claus lives in Lapland not in North Pole.​
There is a ton of traditional events before, during and after Christmas but I would say most important thing is the oak tree that is called badnjak and its burning and food vise that would probably be the special type of bread called česnica. In the area where I grew up people drink boiled rakija during Christmas. During Christmas people who call/see other people say Hristos se rodi! which means Jesus is born! and the other person responds with Vaistinu se rodi! which means Indeed He is born!. Fun fact: The presents are not given on the Christmas. We give/receive presents on 1st of January when it's like normal, mainstream New Year.​
1. badnjak 2. česnica 3. rakija

Horus

Elite
Kin
377💸
Kumi
79💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My parents and grandparents are Orthodox Christians and they follow different calendar from the rest of the world; That means that Christmas that I celebrated all my life was on 7th of January and not on 25th of December. In the part of Balkans (south of Europe) where I grew up we decorated Christmas tree for New Year and Santa Claus was giving presents for New Year not Christmas. Granted the Christmas tree stayed decorated until the arrival of our New Year which is on the 14th of January. Fun fact: I don´t know where it came from but in the part of Balkans where I grew up in we considered that Santa Claus lives in Lapland not in North Pole.​
There is a ton of traditional events before, during and after Christmas but I would say most important thing is the oak tree that is called badnjak and its burning and food vise that would probably be the special type of bread called česnica. In the area where I grew up people drink boiled rakija during Christmas. During Christmas people who call/see other people say Hristos se rodi! which means Jesus is born! and the other person responds with Vaistinu se rodi! which means Indeed He is born!. Fun fact: The presents are not given on the Christmas. We give/receive presents on 1st of January when it's like normal, mainstream New Year.​

Oh wow that's very interesting about the calendar. I remember you telling me something about that in the past but I was so confused about it haha

Reactions: Azu

Michelle

Legendary
Kin
9,012💸
Kumi
3,787💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Beatiful description! :yay: Balkans neighbours are so similar !

So you are still celebrating the New Year like the giving presents moment This custom was here too, back in communism because we aren't allowed to celebrate Jesus' birth.
About boiled rakija (we have an almost identical word for it ^^) - we usually boil red wine with spices and I completely forgot about it, it's yummy smell and flavour it's awesome..
I forgot about the Christmas tree as well... the beautiful sparkling green tree with glass globes lights and tinsels decorated :th-007:, Nowadays it's plastic made ><...
What people say each other it's just beautiful and gives a connection to the community. We say something similar in Easter.

Reactions: Azu and Horus

King Kazma

Veteran
Kin
13💸
Kumi
1,043💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Christmas in Guyana

We Guyanese have certain Christmas traditions that nearly everyone in the Caribbean knows of. We make black cake, we imbibe sorrel drink and ginger beer, we make garlic pork, and we of course, are treated to masqueraders on the streets dancing for spare change. Whilst not all Guyanese may be fond of our traditions, I’m here to tell you they could be far stranger!

Around the globe, Christmas is celebrated in numerous ways, some of which can seem completely unrelated to Christianity. This is because the celebration of Christmas coincides with many winter holidays, and these pagan festivals have left behind some curious traditions, which have now become associated with Christmas. We all know of Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, or Father Christmas. He serves as incentive for children to behave, by rewarding them with gifts. On the other hand, lesser-known Krampus, can be seen as a demon Saint Nick, or perhaps his evil twin. Described as half goat, half demon, Krampus punishes children who have been naughty. Krampus accompanies Santa Claus, and while Santa puts candies in the shoes of good children and birch branches in the shoes of bad ones, Krampus uses the brich branches to beat bad children, and is even believed to snatch them up to take them away to be tortured or eaten. Krampus is claimed to be the son of the Norse God of the Underworld. Despite many attempts to banish Krampus, he still remains a part of Christmas celebrations in most of Europe. There is also an annual parade known as Krampus run, where young men dress up as Krampus and parade the streets. Supposedly, the root of this ritual is that it scares away winter ghosts.

Christmas is a special time for homecoming and many overseas based Guyanese make it an annual pilgrimage as they come in their numbers at this time of year to visit with family and friends.
The streets are filled with shoppers looking for gifts and the vehicle horns blaring in slow traffic are challenged by the sound of the Masquerade Bands and their music.

Hotels are busy and rollicking with special Christmas Parties and home limes are in abundance. Invitations to parties and to visit homes is spontaneous and numerous.

Every home is overstocked with the traditional Guyanese food and drink specialties. The pungent smells of the baking and cooking, the sight of a large pot continuously bubbling on the stove if you ever enter a kitchen, its Pepperpot on the boil. While some prefer it with chicken only, the truth is that any meat can wind up in there.

After a great meal expect the offer of Black Cake (laced with Rum and Fruit) is a must have; “try a lil piece”. The secret lies in the slight of hand that comes when applying the main ingredient; world famous Guyana Rum. Too little is none at all, just the right amount is too little and too much is just enough.

It’s not unusual to be given a hefty take away bag to take home after dinner and ensure you have a designated driver. Enjoy and stay safe.

Sadly we don't have the joys and wonders of snow because of our location in the tropics but the joyous feeling still resonates through the homes during this season.

Christmas Food

Pepperpot

Pepperpot is Guyana’s national dish and one that was made popular by the indigenous people known as the Amerindians. It is believed that the Amerindians concocted this dish as a means to preserve their meats since they did not have refrigeration.

The stew itself is flavored with cinnamon, orange peel, clove, brown sugar, hot pepper, and the main ingredient- cassava cassareep. The cassareep is what allows for the meat to be preserved for weeks. My dad used to make a pot of this and just leave it out on the stove top for days. We would just reheat it when we were ready to sap it up with bread.

• 3 lbs of meat- beef, lamb, pork, or goat (I used goat for this recipe)​
  • 1 cup cassareep​
  • 4-5 cinnamon sticks (not ground)​
  • 1 1/2 inch orange peel​
  • 6-8 cloves​
  • 1-2 wiri wiri peppers​
  • 1/2- 3/4 cup brown sugar​
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt​
  • 16 cups water​
Instructions​

1. Steam the meat for about 15 minutes so that all the fat can be removed. Once you have steamed the meat, remove any dangling pieces of fat. Discard the liquid in the pot.​
  2. In another large pot, add meat, cassareep, and all other ingredients. Add the water and boil until the meat is tender and until the broth has reduced by three-quarters, a few hours. My dad usually boils the meat until it falls off the bones, but some people like their pepperpot meat a bit more on the tough side. It's all about preference.​
  3. Adjust salt to suit your tastes.​
  4. Pepperpot is best when made a couple days ahead.​
  5. How to steam the meat​
  6. Place meat in a pot with enough water to cover just 1/4 way up the pot. Let meat simmer on low heat until the fat congeals and can be removed from each piece, about 15 minutes. Remember, you are not cooking the meat during this step, just heating the meat enough so the fat can be removed. This allows for a lean stew.​
  7. Pepperpot does not need to refrigerate and can be stored on the stove top. Flavor is best when made a few days ahead.​

Guyanese Black Cake
Famous for its uniquely dense texture, dark color, rich and robust taste; this is the cake that takes the cake. This beloved rum soaked fruit cake is highly revered and sought after during Christmas time as well as weddings and celebrations. If you’ve never had this cake, at first glance it may resemble that of a chocolate cake, but the deep dark color comes from the main ingredient- dried macerated fruits. Prunes, currants, raisins, and glaced cherries are chopped finely then soaked in port wine and dark rum for months and years on end. The fruit mixture is added to cake batter along with aromatic flavorings and warm spices. When baking, my home is fragranced with the cake’s citrusy notes. It smells like Christmas is in the air.

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Author: Alica Ramkirpal-Senhouse
Yield: 2 8-inch cakes​

• Macerated Fruit mixture​
  • 1 lb prunes, pitted​
  • 1 lb currants​
  • 1 lb raisins​
  • 8oz red glaced cherries​
  • 4oz mixed peel​
  • Soaking​
  • 750mL bottle port wine​
  • 750mL bottle Dark Rum​
  • Keep one extra bottle rum on hand​
  • Browning​
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar​
  • 4 tbsp port wine​
  • Cake batter​
  • 1 lb unsalted butter, softened (4 sticks)​
  • 1 lb sugar, demerara brown or white (2 cups)​
  • 6 eggs​
  • Zest of one lemon​
  • Zest of one orange​
  • 1 tsp vanilla exract​
  • 1 tsp almond extract​
  • 2 tsp mixed essence​
  • 1 1/2lbs macerated fruit mixture (about 3 heaping cups)​
  • 300g all-purpose flour (2 1/2 level cups)​
  • 2 tsp baking powder​
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon​
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg​
  • 1/4 tsp ground all spice​
  • 1/4 tsp ground clove​
  • Alcohol mixture to pour on top​
  • 1/4 cup dark rum​
  • 1/4 cup cherry brandy​
Instructions​

1. Wash and dry all fruits. Mix together in a large bowl. Place fruits a little at a time in a food processor, food mill, or ninja blender. Add enough wine to grind fruits to a paste. Repeat process until fruits have been macerated. Fruit mixture should not be too liquidy. Add 3 cups dark rum. Stir and let mixture soak at minimum one week or even one year+. Adding more wine periodically.​
  2. Make browning. If using store-bought burnt sugar, skip this step. Place sugar in a small saucepan. On low heat turn sugar with a spoon until it begins to caramelize. Once dark brown, add wine and remove from heat. Let cool completely.​
  3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.​
  4. Line two 8in baking pans with parchment paper. Trim paper and set aside.​
  5. Bring eggs and butter to room temperature. Crack all eggs into a bowl, set aside​
  6. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients, set aside.​
  7. In deep mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs one at a time. Blend well.​
  8. Add zests and vanilla, almond, and mixed essence. Blend. Of the macerated fruit mixture, add 1 1/2 lbs (3 heaping cups) a little at a time, continue blending.​
  9. Add flour mixture a little at a time. Add 1 tbsp burnt sugar at a time until desired color is achieved. If using store bought burnt sugar, 4 tbsp should suffice for a very dark cake. Mix well.​
  10. Pour batter into lined cake pans.​
  11. Bake 300 degrees fahrenheit for 90 minutes. When cake come out of oven, pour alcohol mixture on top. When cool, cover cake with plastic wrap.​
Notes
After removing cake from oven, it may seem it is under cooked. Do not be alarmed as this is how it is supposed to be. After 2-3 days the texture will change.

orrel Drink
Caribbean Sorrel Drink. Sorrel Drink is a tangy, spice-infused beverage that is often served at Christmas and New Year's in several parts of the Caribbean.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups dried sorrel flowers (16 1/2 ounces)
  • 20 cups water
  • 1 star anise
  • 10-12 whole cloves
  • 1-2 pieces cinnamon bark or cinnamon stick
  • 4-inch piece orange peel
  • 2-3 small bay leaves or 1 large leaf
  • Brown or white granulated sugar to taste
  • Dark rum (optional)
Instructions
  1. 1. Add all ingredients, except sugar, to a deep pot. Boil uncovered for 30 minutes until sorrel flowers are very soft.
  2. 2. Let steep 1-2 days or overnight, covered.
  3. 3.The next day- strain and squeeze sorrel flowers, then discard.
  4. 4. Sugar may be added to entire pot at this point or per glass to suit your taste. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add desired amount of rum. Pour over ice when ready to serve.
  5. 5. Bottle remainder and store in a cool dry place. No need to refrigerate.
Notes
Additional comments: · Pearly typically uses a cheesecloth to strain and squeeze the flowers after steeping. I didn't have one on hand, so a strainer works fine here. · This beverage needs a lot of sugar, start with 1 1/2 cups and adjust from there. I used brown sugar which takes some time to melt. The pot may be heated on low to help sugar dissolve then removed from heat. · If you feel it is too tart or syrupy for you, add more filtered water and sugar. Remember you will be serving this over ice as well which would dilute the flavor as you drink. · Bottle remainder of beverage. Glass bottles are a great choice since they are non-reactive and sorrel tends to stain anything it comes in contact with.
If storing for more than 4 days without serving, then adding alcohol to the mixture is a good idea, otherwise, beverage will start to ferment. · Pearly stored her bottles in the cupboard, in a cool dark place, she never refrigerated it, but you may choose to if you like.

@Klaus @Anna @Gin @Michelle @Alice in Noodleland
You guys come post too!
Didn't know you were from Guyana. Pretty much somes up our Christmas in Trinidad and Tobago well with parang as well. :hs:

Reactions: Michelle