Thestatusquo

Veteran
Kin
2,522💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wasn't planning on making a post but I feel like this needs to be addressed one more time just to clarify things.

I don't believe I've acted wrongly when confronting Toujo. I believe toxicity has to be dealt with one way or the other and I wanted to let him know that his type of behaviour won't be allowed here. Am I a little hypocritical that I reacted in a toxic matter in return? Maybe. But the point still holds that I wasn't the one to start the beef and he continuously chose to paint me in a poor light for no apparent reason.

I just hate players that make such claims. I see no potential in them or any purpose for the community. If you are going to play one game with a person and call them whack and trash on a player of a community - your place is not here. I wanted to let him know that if he continues down that path of affording to trash on players then he's not going to be having a good time here. The toxic way was the easiest one. It wasn't the smartest one / the most reasonable one, but it is one of my pet peeves so I may have acted like that in the spur of the moment.

Trashing on players is a sign of a huge ego - I see people think it's bad to have an ego and people with big egos generally don't end up too well. Thinking that you're better than someone and actually saying it are two very different things. There's nothing wrong with thinking you're better than someone, but there is definitely something bad about actively choosing to voice out the opinion. It leads towards nothing but toxicity.

I don't believe it's an over reaction on my end. I haven't dealt with players like that in a long time and the last time we had a similar appearance on here, they ended up getting perma-banned.

I don't generally hold grudges against anyone and I'm actually very open-minded and overly reasonable outside of the game for the people that actually know me. However, I just can't get over this. Even in his apology he didn't really give me any sincere vibes and still cared more for maintaining the higher ground - "I will still sleep at night if you refuse my apology" - that's not genuine in the slightest and is setting yourself up to still be on the high ground.

I was willing to let go if he would've apologised in the end for it in a genuine manner - but I didn't sense any of it.

I don't like the guy at all and think I handled the situation correctly. He'll probably walk just fine even after showing a toxic side and that is perfectly fine - I just won't be playing any games that have him in them. It's out of my control, maybe I'm wrong, but my instinct and his behaviour tell me I'm not.

I may be falling for the same sin that he committed during this game w/r/t assuming things - but I have more proof for assuming his character and personality traits.

I will wrap this whole thing up and never bring it up again. Toujo can defend himself once again, I don't really care if he addresses this directly, I won't reply. Seeing PK's post, I wanted to make sure that the situation is clarified and that people aren't just assuming the wrong things without having any context. He may have genuinely not have talked about my situation with Toujo / referenced it at all, but still wanted to give my point of view, yet again, just in case people are misinterpreting my intentions with our clash.

===========================

Now, regarding the toxicity in games - I agree. I believe that the SK - Michelle beef is getting out of hand and making the games very much not enjoyable for a lot of people. I also believe that Poison should be given some room to breathe.

I just think we shouldn't say anything to anyone unless it's positive words.

Lately the atmosphere in games has been pretty catastrophic and spiteful, filled with plenty of animosity. I have decided that part of it is in direct relation to the pandemic and the isolation - thus, certain feelings may emerge in the form of toxicity in games, but I believe it's passed the allocated amount for it and is starting to get out of hand, to the point where you're using Mafia as an outlet for irl frustrations and not actually playing the game in good faith.

I don't really know how to fix this other than raising awareness for it and hopefully it will all calm down naturally, but I doubt it will any time soon. Just know that it isn't just one person feeling like this. I wanted to back PK up on that point.

That's all.

Tigerrr in the woods

Regular
Kin
1,390💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Thank you Elmage. Sorry about the kill tho. It wasn't mafia, but me.

I got absolutely no use having you in SK army for that phase. It wasn't that strong of an ability. I had to talk to someone, gain their trust and they can choose to tell me their abilities and then I could decide if I wanted to redirect them.

I was disappointed at your modkill tbh. I thought I could have used your trust further for an easier win. XD
But yes good game.

Lmao Ryu. It sucked lynching you that way at the end but it had to be done.

It was a calculated risk honestly. It was a slight gut feeling. I killed him taking both scenarios in mind. If he was scum it would help town survive. If he was a townie, then town didn't gain much information from his kill and would be still in the same chaos as last phase.

You must be registered for see images

Best recruit for the chat. <3
You must be registered to see images

Best recruiter<3

Reactions: Houtarou

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm glad this is being talked about... I wasnt sure if this was just something normal here in these games. I dont mind having a discussion or debate about anything but when it gets to the point that it just looks like people are actually losing friendships over a game it makes me afraid to actually engage with others in any way. Tbh

Toujo

Regular
Kin
1,313💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@Thestatusquo I'm not going to go point by point responding. I wasn't going to respond at all, actually, but I think I'll try one more time. I feel like your reaction is ridiculously out of proportion to what I actually said, and that you're projecting your experiences with previous players I may have happened to remind you of onto me. You're really in no position to speak about toxicity given how vitriolic your responses were to a number of players, and frankly anything toxic I had said to you, you have since levelled back towards me ten-fold. You didn't detect any sincerity in my apology because it wasn't an apology at all - I'm not particularly sorry about what I said, nor do I feel it warrented your tirade. I don't consider myself having been one of the more toxic elements in this game, but that's not really for me to decide.

In any case, the offer remains. If you're willing to draw a line under it and move on, then there'll be no issue on my part. If you decide you can't get past it and want to continue or refuse to play in any games I'm in, well that's entirely up to you. If you think I'm going to feel bad about it then I hate to break it to you but no, I'm not. I'd rather we put it down to getting off on the wrong foot and move on, but if you're unwilling to do so then there really isn't much I can do. The offer is there, it's not going anywhere, if you don't want to take it then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Toujo

Regular
Kin
1,313💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Is it weird that Soul v Michelle doesn't even bother me?
I'm with you on this too. Just looked like the standard in Mafia where things get heated and duly cools down. I'll only have any issue with it if it spills into other games. But I acknowledge that my standards for vitriol and abrasiveness are rather lax, too.

Kyte_

Regular
Kin
708💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wasn't planning on making a post but I feel like this needs to be addressed one more time just to clarify things.

I don't believe I've acted wrongly when confronting Toujo. I believe toxicity has to be dealt with one way or the other and I wanted to let him know that his type of behaviour won't be allowed here. Am I a little hypocritical that I reacted in a toxic matter in return? Maybe. But the point still holds that I wasn't the one to start the beef and he continuously chose to paint me in a poor light for no apparent reason.

I just hate players that make such claims. I see no potential in them or any purpose for the community. If you are going to play one game with a person and call them whack and trash on a player of a community - your place is not here. I wanted to let him know that if he continues down that path of affording to trash on players then he's not going to be having a good time here. The toxic way was the easiest one. It wasn't the smartest one / the most reasonable one, but it is one of my pet peeves so I may have acted like that in the spur of the moment.

Trashing on players is a sign of a huge ego - I see people think it's bad to have an ego and people with big egos generally don't end up too well. Thinking that you're better than someone and actually saying it are two very different things. There's nothing wrong with thinking you're better than someone, but there is definitely something bad about actively choosing to voice out the opinion. It leads towards nothing but toxicity.

I don't believe it's an over reaction on my end. I haven't dealt with players like that in a long time and the last time we had a similar appearance on here, they ended up getting perma-banned.

I don't generally hold grudges against anyone and I'm actually very open-minded and overly reasonable outside of the game for the people that actually know me. However, I just can't get over this. Even in his apology he didn't really give me any sincere vibes and still cared more for maintaining the higher ground - "I will still sleep at night if you refuse my apology" - that's not genuine in the slightest and is setting yourself up to still be on the high ground.

I was willing to let go if he would've apologised in the end for it in a genuine manner - but I didn't sense any of it.

I don't like the guy at all and think I handled the situation correctly. He'll probably walk just fine even after showing a toxic side and that is perfectly fine - I just won't be playing any games that have him in them. It's out of my control, maybe I'm wrong, but my instinct and his behaviour tell me I'm not.

I may be falling for the same sin that he committed during this game w/r/t assuming things - but I have more proof for assuming his character and personality traits.

I will wrap this whole thing up and never bring it up again. Toujo can defend himself once again, I don't really care if he addresses this directly, I won't reply. Seeing PK's post, I wanted to make sure that the situation is clarified and that people aren't just assuming the wrong things without having any context. He may have genuinely not have talked about my situation with Toujo / referenced it at all, but still wanted to give my point of view, yet again, just in case people are misinterpreting my intentions with our clash.
Oh, if that's not some tea...

You know, I've known this guy for more than you have. I know he often attempts trivializing and patronizing other players as a way to intimidate them into losing confidence. It's all really just an element of his playstyle that he often adopts to his benefit, within the context of the game. It can be annoying, but so are other psychological tactics that you can implement in Mafia. He really is a chill dude outside these games, if you ask me, and it doesn't project on his whole character.

I understand you though. I do. I wouldn't have replied if I don't.

Aether9

Regular
Kin
954💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
was a fun game, I thought of ending PK with the death note but who wouldve guessed the death note wasnt meant to be used against him. My role never had a chance against him. I kinda agree with Ratchet on SK handling michelle, he could've delayed his lynch if he didnt went after her in full force, he couldve laid traps and pinned points for him to go after her again when I used that ability on her again, no one wouldve guessed whats going on with her and we couldve pulled a mislych much eariler. Poison and Angelus did fairly well too, I guess Angelus is a pro, but Poison did really well to change her meta from her previous game, even thought she was very obviously scummy, but her changing her meta saved her for so long.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
This post has no relation to the setup but in general my two cents on Mafia being played on here. I had a chat with another old timer from on here and it helped me decide in making this post.
I'd like to clear that I don't want to offend anyone by writing this and its just MY opinion. It isn't directed to anyone in particular but to the whole community.
Maybe I am a bit naive at how I view things and also because of my limited exposure to mafia community in general but here goes :-

-Firstly my main issue with playing here is how personal some people make the game to be. I kept saying it but some people need to learn that at the end of the day this is JUST A GAME. I have seen plenty of people making this a huge ego battle of wanting to be right, of wanting to be the best, having a bitter taste from previous games etc. I am not saying play like a complete fool with absolute 0 care to your actions but being way too serious to the point of ruining your own mood and as well as others defeats the purpose of playing a game. The way some people went off at others is really disappointing. I get that some parts of the games can be frustrating and even infuriating at times but it should be upto us to keep our emotions in check. I might have also gotten triggered a little by the end but I don't think I said anything that was crossing a line.

-My second issue is something I personally have noticed and others might not agree with. But people here are sometimes rather blinded too much by their emotion and have a bias whether it be positive or negative to some other players. I have noticed plenty of people very willing to trust the people they know rather than rely on the reads given in the game and I have seen this backfire (personally too) as the others take you for a ride. Being blind to someone's actions just coz you know them creates faulty play and the reason I say this is because I don't see the same benefit of doubt being given to the newer players or the not so well connected ones. An action when done by someone new will be interpreted wrong or scrutinized while the same thing will be excused for someone else. This is better explained by examples but I don't want to go there. Like just try to see things for how they are in the game rather than having a decided bias for certain players before the game even began.

-This point is rather specific to this game. Adding to what Tiger said in a post mid-game. I don't think appealing to people's emotions and gaining sympathy/manipulating them based on emotion that require you to mention your in real life situations is a cheap shot. I personally don't approve of such a tactic because firstly your irl situations shouldn't be brought into the game. Secondly I think its a foul attitude to manipulate your friends feelings towards you to gain points in a game. Deception is part of the game but do it using the mechanics provided within the game.

I say all this not out of spite for anyone but because I was on this site 6-7 years back playing mafia (albeit as turbos) but in my hundreds of games back then I very rarely experienced the negativity that I have experienced in the few games I have played now. The community that I was part of back then was much larger but it was more positive in general and people played to have fun and not prove a point or have ego clashes.

All this doesn't mean I dislike you all. It's still a good community with good people but these are somethings that I personally felt the need to say. Thank you if you read this wall of text.
To piggyback on this.

Town usually loses these games due to

One bandwagon voting of either specific people trust or what's popular in the phase.

Also hate how people just town or scum read people for no reason making it harder to figure out allignment. In this game scum played town better than town and town played scummier than scum did. People need to be more critical in their reads and not confidently town and scum read it and push it based on nothing.

Also agree some people need to learn to be more respectful and not get emotional. It makes it more confusing to read when people get emotional and takes away from the game.

Also play the game more serious some people either purposefully throwing the game or people not giving effort participate in the discussion.

In general when playing try your best.

Reactions: Ansatsuken

Thestatusquo

Veteran
Kin
2,522💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh, if that's not some tea...

You know, I've known this guy for more than you have. I know he often attempts trivializing and patronizing other players as a way to intimidate them into losing confidence. It's all really just an element of his playstyle that he often adopts to his benefit, within the context of the game. It can be annoying, but so are other psychological tactics that you can implement in Mafia. He really is a chill dude outside these games, if you ask me, and it doesn't project on his whole character.

I understand you though. I do. I wouldn't have replied if I don't.
Dead chat is not within the context of the game in order to gain an advantage.