Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright, so starting with Daoism, a Chinese philosophical tradition which encourages adherence to the Dao (The Way), in order to achieve perfection. In order to do this, one must recognise and be cognizant of the universe's fundamental nature, the theory of creationism under Daoism. This is represented through Wuji (Nothingness / 'Without Ridgepole'), which is the first and foremost component of that theory. Wuji as a concept encompasses nothingness before creation, the void prior to the emergence of all that exists.

From this, Wuji, comes Taiji (Supreme Ultimate / 'Great Ridgepole'). It is all of existence which emerges from nothingness, a similar 'blanket' concept to Wuji. Fundamental to all things in existence, Taiji, is Yin and Yang. They naturally emerge alongside the Taiji because they are inherent to everything that exists. Yin and Yang are intrinsically connected, one cannot exist in the absence of the other. The best account I can give of their relationship is that of night and day. Yin, representing the darkness, the night, can only occur because Yang, representing the light, the day, flows into it as time itself too flows. Likewise, Yang can only exist once the night flows into the day with time. Their relationship can be rhythmic, or it can be one of constantly changing balance, cyclical. For example, for various tasks and activities we carry out in our daily lives, we stimulate our mind (Yin, the spiritual), or our body (Yang, the physical), to suit our needs. But in everything we do, both are present. Depending on what we're doing, whether its studying for an exam or running a marathon, the balance shifts to favour one over the other, Yin in the case of the former, Yang in the latter. Once we no longer need to stimulate our mind or body, we give them time to rest and recover, and both Yin and Yang will once again rebalance themselves.

Coming back to Daoism, it teaches us to be free-flowing, ever-changing, never confined to a single state of being, Wuji Dao (Way of Nothingness). Similarly to how Taiji is existence without distinction, one must themselves always be changing their state of existence, the balance of Yin and Yang must be constantly shifting in order to react to the world around you.

Now, in Naruto, both Yin and Yang materially do exist in the world in the form of energies. Going back to my earlier example of stimulating mind and body, doing these things produces distinct energies. Anything we do with our minds, such as studying, meditating or otherwise thinking, produces spiritual energy, which can be actively manipulated via Yin Release. By similar principle, anything we do with our bodies, such as running, climbing or fighting, produces physical energy, which can be controlled through Yang Release. These energies are inherent to all of existence in Naruto, similarly to how Yin and Yang are conceptually inherent to all things in the real world. Likewise, they are inseparable from each other, and so too are spiritual and physical energy. Both of these energies comprise chakra, as well as the techniques they fuel. Certain techniques and abilities lean further into both Yin and Yang to a greater extent than what you see in techniques from the Basic 5 Elements, but true control over spiritual and physical energies isn't possible until you possess Yin or Yang Release respectively, at least nowhere near the level of power or refinement you see in either. What's most important to note about these 'Releases' is that, despite their names, they aren't entirely separate from each other. No Yin or Yang Release technique is completely devoid of either energy. For example, every Yin Release technique has some level of physical energy in it, and every Yang Release technique has some level of spiritual energy in it, it's merely that one has been favoured over the other via manipulation of the ratio between the energies.

As for Yang's capabilities in the RP, it deals with all things in the realm of what can be called 'life', the ability of objects and beings to act of their own accord. It also interacts with and influences the constitution of other objects by manipulating their physical energy. An example of this would be abilities such as Birth of Nature, which causes Wood Release techniques to grow uncontrollably by forcibly injecting more physical energy into them, and Touch of the Sun and Power of the Sun, which can rejuvenate targets via exposure to large quantities of physical energy, allowing for regeneration of lost appendages and augmenting their physical capabilities in the case of Power. In the case of Ring of Hell, entirely new appendages can be generated. Examples of Yang, or physical energy, being used offensively would include the Eight-Branched Giant Snake and the White Tiger. While both techniques reduce a target's physical capabilities, such as reduced tracking and reaction speeds, and an inability to use physical techniques of higher ranks, they achieve this effect differently. The Eight-Branched Snake does so by producing a venom which actually reduces the physical energy, or vitality, within a target, whereas the White Tiger overloads a target's body with physical energy. This goes back to the concept of ratios between Yin and Yang, the spiritual and the physical, and how Yin and Yang Releases in the RP are as much about manipulating ratios between the aforementioned energies as they are about simply controlling them individually.

That's everything I've gathered from reading and prior knowledge. I might have missed some things or been too general, particularly on the Daoist concepts, so do fill in blanks or correct me on whatever is necessary.

Last edited:

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Well I mean you said that about as well as I could. So nice job, good effort. That effort is really evident here and I definitely commend you for it. Let me just add this bit to the training thread so you have it for reference. A lot of what you listed earlier is already in this, but it's a sort of 'official' description of what Yang is capable of. It was posted in my training and I just use it for every new student I have. It's useful, easy to grasp, and accessible.

"There are a few traits that are unique to Yang itself. Yang energy is very heated, but gives off no heat ( meaning if touched, incredibly hot flames will be felt but if you are near it, you generally won't feel it); It is life energy and encompasses just that, life ( what I mean by this is Yang is able to be used to breath life into form, obviously. Keeping in mind what I said earlier about how all Yang jutsu contain traits of Yin, you are able to use Yang to create living entities or appendages/alterations to the body. This can be best compared to Jugo's clan and how it is able to grow limbs that are enhanced by natural energy, or the Akimichi clan and it's ability to grow/manipulate the size of their body parts or even comparable to the Kaguya who are able to manipulate their skeletal system or even Inorganic Reincarnation which is able to infuse nonliving items with life and sentience like Yang can ); Yang energy is able to cause an imbalance of energy in the body that can have varying effects ( though logically, inserting too much of either Yin or Yang energy into the body will cause an imbalance, only Yang energy is able to affect the opponent in a way that this imbalance can hinder or harm them. This is because Yang requires greater control to handle due to it's highly energized state. This means that with Yang, you can insert high Yang energy and since they don't know how to control it yet, they will have adverse effects on their chakra system. This can present itself as difficulty in using it, inability to utilize certain fields, even things such as rapid aging of the body due to overflowing life energy, aging you to your peak and beyond); heal on a better level than Medjutsu or Hashirama cells ( one of the easier things to understand, Yang due to it's life energy, is able to heal wounds and even life threatening injuries. On the surface, this doesn't seem as useful because for the most part, the RP is a glass cannon one where almost any blow will kill you. But you can use Yang energy in ways to replicate or even make better forms of Medjutsu. You could create Yang energy that filters biological warfare attacks like poisons and things, you could use it to make abilities like the Yin seal of Tsunade's which is terribly named, you could also use it in conjunction with the life filling ability to make perfect clones that are living with their own chakra pools like a pseudo Creation )."

So tell me why someone with Yin and Yang, the energies separate, cannot make use of Yin-Yang Release? How does this relate back to Yang Release on its own too? You were right to point out that a Yang Release technique is never completely void of the other energy, Yin. But what does that mean exactly? Can someone with Yang indirectly manipulate their Yin by controlling their greater ratio in the RP? What about logically, assuming you forget about the RP's rules (if the answer to the first question is no).

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yin-Yang Release is specifically the ability to utilise both Yin and Yang Release simultaneously, as opposed to just using one or the other at any given time. More broadly, being able to use Yin-Yang Release means that you can manipulate multiple chakra natures at once, which is stated in the thread for the ability itself.

Yin-Yang Release users have an advantage over other shinobi in various degrees due to their heightened skill in manipulating their chakra. At a base level, all Yin/Yang Release users possess a greater balance in their chakra due to the ability to manipulate and control the proportions of their chakra natures. This translates to all Yin/Yang Release users being capable of manipulating multiple nature elements simultaneously
As for your question, I'd say yes. But it's only really by technicality, in my opinion. Say for example, the Eight-Branched Giant Snake technique. The venom it produces drains a target of its physical energy, which would logically result in the internal ratios of spiritual energy to physical energy being greatly imbalanced. Just because that technique functions by interfering with a target's internal energies such that the spiritual is favoured over the physical, the effects are still centered on physical attributes being affected. The target doesn't experience any benefits or negative effects in regards to their mind or spirit.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah, essentially.

(Yoton: Jigoku ni henkō) - Yang Release: Change into Hell
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short
Chakra cost: N/A (+50, -10 per turn)
Damage points: N/A
Description: The user is able to use his Yang nature to embue life into an elemental technique, creating a Yang/Element sentient entity that will stay on the field to aid him. The only limit is the size of the technique originally used as an elemental source as the resulting entity will always be half the size. This entity can be interacted with, can act on its own and is made of the element sourced, with all its properties intact. Its strength is based on the original elemental technique used as a source. This doesn't consume time since its actually a skill applied to a technique used at the same time.
Note: Usable 3 times per battle and up to 6 times per event to create one entity with up to 300 chakra points that is able to use jutsu from the source it was created from.
Note: Yang Release masters can apply this technique to advanced fields and CE and advanced elements.

Let's play a game. You're going to spot where you think the Yin is in each of the Yang Release techniques. Some are more obvious than others. Some are very difficult to pinpoint. Use your imagination (pun intended). What are some of the limitations on the use of this technique?

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm guessing it would be where the entity retains the physical properties of the technique it's derived from? For example, if I used this on the Grand Fireball technique, the 'Yin' would grant the resulting entity the properties of flames, since that has to do with the state/form of the familiar itself and not with the life/sentience-granting aspect.

The most obvious limitation, or caveat, is the lack of 'boosting', I'd say. It doesn't give the targeted technique any additional chakra or damage, but hikes its cost considerably. I suppose the size reduction is a limitation of sorts, since it might reduce the technique's range, or that of its abilities that it can use. Because the familiar is sentient and has its own chakra pool, would it be susceptible to Genjutsu and/or other means of mental/spiritual influence? If so that would be another one.

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
No. The technique doesn't read like it alters the technique's form aside from the size reduction, so things that travel are still bound to the trajectory they were initially sent on.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yean, and likewise anything that forms with a functioning set of legs (or something similar to it) would be able to walk. An interesting custom that you could combine this with would be the Fire technique you have that creates the skeleton familiars. I can't remember the name. Fifth Universe I think it was? How would those two interact, do you think?

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Obviously, the familiars would be made sentient and be able to use fire techniques, but the courtyard itself would be granted those benefits as well, which is the more interesting part. Unfortunately its size takes a big hit, but I suppose it's a fair trade for what it gets in return.

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Speaking from the rules side of things, as well as the way the technique is worded, I'd say no, because they aren't elemental techniques nor are they considered as Advanced Fields/Elements, so they're not eligible targets. From a purely logical standpoint, its either a flat out no or its arguably just useless, even supposing Change into Hell was worded to allow its usage in conjunction with things like ST or LDG. The technique targeted by Change into Hell already needs to have its own chakra, so to speak. When using Change into Hell on techniques like the Grand Fireball, or virtually any Basic 5 canon because the chakra used to create them is carried within the technique itself, and Change into Hell converts that innate chakra into a usable reserve of sorts. Techniques like ST and LDG don't actually contain chakra within them, its just that chakra is used to elicit their effects, e.g. LDG is purely pressurised air brought about through chakra-enhanced physical motion, and ST is manipulation of gravitational forces using chakra. The chakra acts on the forces of gravity, but doesn't become part of them, if that makes sense. Something being granted sentience doesn't magically give it the ability to produce chakra, nor does Change into Hell actually imbue the targeted technique with any of the chakra that's expended during its use like most infusion techniques. So at the very worst, you could use Change into Hell on either of those techniques, they'd be made sentient, but they wouldn't be able to use techniques since they'd have no chakra pool available to them.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You're mostly correct. So Change into Hell would actually give the target the ability to mold and use chakra (not necessarily create it). It gives them a chakra system, basically. That's why if you apply this to an earth golem or a water dragon, or even a normal projectile or whatever, it gains 300 chakra. It can use that chakra however it wants as long as it is used on techniques from the source it is made from.

(Yoton: Taiyōnomegumi) - Yang Release: Touch of the Sun
Chakra cost:70 per use
Damage points: N/A
Description: Through the infusion of Yang natured chakra into others, users can heal others to their original best physical form. It can be used to regrow missing body parts, heal wounds, purge poisons, etc. The target needs to be alive and the bigger the injury, the longer it takes to heal. The limits of the heal, however, are almost none as it can heal 150 damage per turn and can even heal the chakra system or other injuries that are otherwise not possible to be healed. The technique requires time and physical contact and as such isn't very suited to use in a battle when compared to regular Iryo Ninjutsu.
Note: Yang Release masters are able to use on themselves.

Next up, Touch of the Sun. This technique originally had no limit on how much it could heal. But now it's been set to 150. First off, spot the Yin.

Last edited:

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah so with this one, like others, it's really hard to pinpoint what it would be. But I tend to agree in this case; you're generating vitality/health with Yang, but creating the flesh, bone matter, and whatever else necessary. There isn't really a whole lot to say about Touch of the Sun because it is really simple in concept. Just be sure to watch out for how long it takes to use.

(Yoton: Ken'i) - Yang Release: Power of The Sun
Chakra cost: 100 (50 per turn)
Damage points: N/A (+40 to Taijutsu)
Description: The user will reinforce his own body with Yang natured chakra, empowering his physical abilities to the outermost limits. This allows him to become physically very strong (beyond the normal levels of chakra enhanced strength), increases his resistance to physical damage (decreasing 60 damage from any physical contact), his speed (boosted to 3.5x his normal speed), and grants him a passive healing of all minor wounds at 30 damage per turn. However, by infusing himself with the Yang Nature, he becomes unable to use Yin Release techniques or Yin/Yang Release techniques; he cannot use Genjutsu or non elemental Ninjutsu of any kind (including special fields like Fuuinjutsu).
Note: Can only be used twice per battle and lasts 4 turns per use.

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Just have one question about Touch of the Sun, just for future reference. Would it be able to work in tandem with passive healing abilities, or can only one be used at a time?

The Yin here is a little harder to pinpoint, but its a similar principle to the last one I think. Though you're using Yang to flush your body, you'd be generating additional muscle tissue and other matter, which serves as the source of your bolstered physical capabilities.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Only one at a time in terms of passive healing. I don't think they stack up, and always the highest is chosen.

Now for a big boi:

(Yoton: Yamata no Orochi) Yang Release: 8 Branched Giant Snake
Range: Short - Mid
Chakra Cost: 100/110 for Yin-Yang chakra
Damage: 100/120 w/ Elemental or Yin-Yang chakra
Description: This technique sees the creation of the mythical serpent, the Yamata no Orochi. The user begins by gathering their Yang chakra into their arms and creating three branching streams of white chakra from each of them as well as coating both arms in chakra. The user’s arms and streams of chakra will take the form of serpents with flaming amber eyes. Due to the nature of this technique utilizing one’s Yang chakra, these serpents are not simple manifestations of chakra, but actual sentient creatures. The serpents can sense entities like ordinary snakes and they share a telepathic link to the user, allowing them to communicate with each other. They act like chakra arms and can be used for a variety of purposes. In the base form of this technique, the 8 branches are simple ethereal constructs of sentient Yang chakra. In their second form, users can add nature release to the branches to increase their power. In their third and final form, the user can add Yin Release chakra and give the branches physical bodies. The addition of the Yin Release also gives the branches unique venom which drains the physical vitality of the victim. The bite from each snake lowers a victim’s physical speed, reaction, and ability to use high ranked physical techniques.
Note: Form 1 is capable by all users of Yang Release, Form 2 is capable of Yang Release masters and Yin-Yang users. Form 3, also known as Yin-Yang Release: Yamata no Orochi is only capable of Yin-Yang Users with an affinity to Yang Release.
Note: The vitality degenerating venom is capable by all branches of this technique, however there is only enough for 3 usages. The vitality degeneration venom becomes worse with every bite. If a victim is bitten once their base reaction/tracking is reduced by half, twice and their base speed and physical damage is reduced by half, and thrice they will lose the ability to use any form of tai or kenjutsu techniques and will be rendered completely paralyzed 2 turns after the third bite if not healed. The victim will be unable to do anything short of breathing, including using their chakra. Users bitten once also become incapable of using physical elevating techniques such as Sage Mode or EIG.
Note: Medical ninja or other Yang Release users can rid themselves of the poison through means of medical techniques or vitality boosting techniques such as power of the sun.
Note: Technique can only be used once per battle and requires 50 chakra points to maintain (60 above the first form). While this technique is in use, the user cannot use any non-elemental ninjutsu, Yin Release, or Yin-Yang techniques (other than this technique’s advanced variation).

Goetia

Supreme
Kin
3,218💸
Kumi
109,579💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Yin component here is fairly obvious, in that it exists as an almost separate form of the technique.

Reading over this, I was slightly caught off by the description of the vitality-draining venom, which is stated to be a byproduct of the addition of Yin Release into the jutsu. Would it be a stretch to say that this jutsu is an exception to the 'rule' I mentioned above, where only Yang Release can interfere with physical attributes, and Yin Release with the spiritual?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No I don't quite think so. So the vitality draining venom would be a product of Yin in the sense that the venom itself might be made by the imagination, but the actual ability of it to steal away reaction speed, strength, speed, and whatever else is a product of Yang, not Yin. If you read the venom it's all pretty physical, which is the opposite of the serpent Yin technique.

Reactions: Akasha