Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Title says it all: What process do you generally use when writing your stories, be they FF/OF's or actual novels or screenplays? Personally, I write down basic descriptions for all my characters, all the big events, and then I just wing all the in-between happenings. Doesn't sound very wise for a writer, but it's worked for me so farxd Once I get into writing for my real works, though, I'll probably end up taking on a more organized writing process:)

DeadManWonderLand

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I use the snow flake method now,but before i did pretty much what you did,letting the creative process lead the way and jotting it down as i went along.

The only thing that has changed is the steps i take to reach the end.
It breaks it down into very precise steps

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I use the snow flake method now,but before i did pretty much what you did,letting the creative process lead the way and jotting it down as i went along.

The only thing that has changed is the steps i take to reach the end.
It breaks it down into very precise steps
I've heard of the method before. If I can find the patience, I'll probably end up using that method to develop my screenplays:)

As in the end of the story? How do you manage that?

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,447💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Here's how I work;

At first, I had a basic idea for a very short FF, something that I pictured to be like three chapters or so... The idea was simple, it was a futuristic plot of Naruto, where the final battle between Naruto and Tobi happened (This was in 2010 btw, when Naruto was still training with Killerbee in the manga). I thought of having Naruto at the Hokage Mansion, getting notified that Tobi had attacked Konoha, and the final battle play out... This was my original idea, before I wrote down anything at all. Then, when I wrote the first chapter, I quickly knew that this plot was too "hasten" to complete, and that I needed some kind of build up. So, I wrote the four first chapters as I went, perhaps even the six next ones too, and when I was at Chapter 10, I started writing down notes on what would happen next. Not only that, but I also had kicked off a Chronicle (within the same storyline), and was also planning to do another one (which I did). I figured if I was to make both these Chronicles match the storyline, without any plot-holes, I just had to start planning things, so I did. I never really had much pre-planning in my original work as I just wrote down simple notes on what I wanted to happen... It was, however, when I started to approach the end, that I felt like I had to make a choice - I would either display the final battle, or I would end when it was just about to start. I chose the latter... But when I did however, I started to get tons and tons of ideas for a sequel, too much to handle remembering, so, I began writing down notes... Lots of lots, of lots of notes. I basically had the entire sequel planned, long before I even reached the end of my original work. Heavily detailed notes on each chapters, even having some dialogues and scenes already written down as part of a chapter. Eventually, I figured that I needed more than a simple set of notes, so I started making several ones, including; "Notes 1 - Story, Notes 2 - Things to Remember, Notes 3 - Timeline, Notes 4 - Databook, Notes 5 - Changes and alterations for my future "re-release of my complete work," and of course, Note 6 - Links to all chapters, including Chronicles, In chronological reading order..."

I always knew the beginning and the end of my sequel, down to the smallest detail, but I only knew parts of what I wanted in the middle section, parts that I eventually formed from new ideas...

In conclusive to my post, my writing process is pretty much based on my notes these days, as I don't/can't write a new chapter without having my notes beside me at all time, double checking if I have all the points I've previously noted down. I do however have an idea of the basic plot, but I don't remember all the details that I've written down, so in some cases, I've written major parts of chapters that I won't be releasing for a year's time xD

Last edited:

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,928💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Well, I'm an awesome writer. First I have ideas, and then I start thinking about them from weeks, procrastinating, until I realizing that I won't ever have a clear idea of anything unless I put it to writing. Then I start thinking of the end, what I want to achieve with the FF, then I start thinking of the beginning and, as I write, I start creating the story, as to what feels more natural to the flow or to the characters. As I write a scene, I try to figure out how each culture/character thinks, and then I write the intrigue from there. I have lots of confrontations, because I figure that's the best way to get a story moving, so I try to have very stubborn or extremist personalities.

Then I get really excited for a while, and beg everyone to read it and proof read it and give me ideas. Then I loose motivation, laziness strikes over, and I stop writing for a while. Then I get back in there and start all over again xD

I'm really proud that I was able to finish The Candymaker, first time I conclude a FF/story xD

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,447💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, I'm an awesome writer. First I have ideas, and then I start thinking about them from weeks, procrastinating, until I realizing that I won't ever have a clear idea of anything unless I put it to writing. Then I start thinking of the end, what I want to achieve with the FF, then I start thinking of the beginning and, as I write, I start creating the story, as to what feels more natural to the flow or to the characters. As I write a scene, I try to figure out how each culture/character thinks, and then I write the intrigue from there. I have lots of confrontations, because I figure that's the best way to get a story moving, so I try to have very stubborn or extremist personalities.

Then I get really excited for a while, and beg everyone to read it and proof read it and give me ideas. Then I loose motivation, laziness strikes over, and I stop writing for a while. Then I get back in there and start all over again xD

I'm really proud that I was able to finish The Candymaker, first time I conclude a FF/story xD
Haha, that's something I guess xD

And congrats ^_^ I still need to read the final chapters though :shy:

Oh, something that hit me after posting my previous post... I didn't really state my writing process in my post, only how I've "evolved" as a writer through the years.

Okay, it's like this;

1: First, I check my notes out, confirming whether I remember everything I want to have in the chapter, or if I've forgotten some major details that I need to include.

2: Then I start writing, keeping the notes in mind, but at the same time, being very open to add new stuff that comes to my mind as I write (this is always important to consider, not following your notes to a dead end).

3: When I'm done writing, I always read through the initial version of the "finished chapter," to see if I have everything I want in it, if there's anything else I can add/remove, and I also check for the initial errors like bad structure/grammar, etc.

4: Once I'm done, I'll start preparing my "NB Coded Version" of the chapter, as I first add "Fun Facts & Author's Note(s)."

5: Once I'm done with this, I start "replacing names," as in, adding the color codes for them with the "replace function." I do have to decide the color on Nb first though.

6: When I'm done with this, I start preparing to make the thread. Here, I go through the grammar (nice thing about having a firefox with English dictionary), then I start adding the final NB codes (bolding, underlining, centering, size-increacing (the name of the chapter), italic-ing and adding the right font(s) (where every of this is needed). Once everything is in place, I read through the thread one final time (not always, but quite often) and then I either store it until the release date, or just release it there and then.

There you have it, the 6 steps of my writing process! ;D

Seffy

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just write to be honest. I don't draw up anything until I know I'm going to stick with the idea or at least use it for a later time. If I do, then I write it all down and usually move onto something else. If the music I'm listening to inspires me, I can do a whole chapter over night, much like what I did with my own chapter 13. Scrapped the original idea for it completely and just re-wrote it the way it is now. It doesn't take much for me to write as I can pull a creative idea out of thin air and turn it into something enjoyable to read.

However that's my biggest problem. Too many ideas, not enough time in the day to work on every idea I've had. So I just store it all for later. XD That's how I write and I know it's odd but I do use the basic flow charts and maps as well to maintain my ideas in a way if I read them later, it all comes back to me without much thought. :p

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just write to be honest. I don't draw up anything until I know I'm going to stick with the idea or at least use it for a later time. If I do, then I write it all down and usually move onto something else. If the music I'm listening to inspires me, I can do a whole chapter over night, much like what I did with my own chapter 13. Scrapped the original idea for it completely and just re-wrote it the way it is now. It doesn't take much for me to write as I can pull a creative idea out of thin air and turn it into something enjoyable to read.

However that's my biggest problem. Too many ideas, not enough time in the day to work on every idea I've had. So I just store it all for later. XD That's how I write and I know it's odd but I do use the basic flow charts and maps as well to maintain my ideas in a way if I read them later, it all comes back to me without much thought. :p
That was my thing for a while. I used to just write down titles of the works and I'd just remember everything I'd come up with until that point. After a while, though, there's simply too much information to keep it all stuffed inside your head, y'know?

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Legendary
Kin
375💸
Kumi
87💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Before I grew out of writing, I'd not do anything particularly methodical. I just pictured the beginning, body and end in mind and went along as the story took flow. Basically free-styling. Though, for the one story I ever free-styled on, it didn't work out too well because it didn't seem to have any good plot. So, I guess free-styling has long-term detrimental effects, generally.
And so, for the next stories, I clad my writing in planning and not purely picturing how I wanted to see the story go and the results pleased me. So in point. 1. Imagination is necessary but 2. Planning is as much necessary as the base of a pizza. The two working together and with more writing procedures, you can't go wrong on the base. As the premise will be built on planning and imagination. The now-me, will probably just follow favorite author's procedures and see how that pans out

Reactions: Michael92

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,447💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Before I grew out of writing, I'd not do anything particularly methodical. I just pictured the beginning, body and end in mind and went along as the story took flow. Basically free-styling. Though, for the one story I ever free-styled on, it didn't work out too well because it didn't seem to have any good plot. So, I guess free-styling has long-term detrimental effects, generally.
And so, for the next stories, I clad my writing in planning and not purely picturing how I wanted to see the story go and the results pleased me. So in point. 1. Imagination is necessary but 2. Planning is as much necessary as the base of a pizza. The two working together and with more writing procedures, you can't go wrong on the base. As the premise will be built on planning and imagination. The now-me, will probably just follow favorite author's procedures and see how that pans out
Thanks for sharing :win::lok::lok: