Why has Konohamaru been so disappointing?

IrukaUmino

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If I'm calculating Konohamaru's age correctly, he should be around 28-29 years old (he was only a few years younger than Naruto).

When Part 1 began, Kakashi and Gai were about 26 years old, relatively young. Yet Kakashi knew over 1000 jutsus and took on the beast that was Zabuza. Gai kicked Kisame away and scared Itachi when they snuck into the village. Kakashi already had his name known throughout the land, and Gai was already the strongest taijutsu user, even making Gaara piss his pants when Gaara's own village couldn't even assassinate him.

Post time skip, Gai and Kakashi were about 28-29 years old, and Kakashi had mangekyou and Gai was shown to open up to 7 gates, taking down one of the strongest Akatsuki members.

This is the age Konohamaru is at now, and all I've seen is a semi-decent rasengan. He's been so disappointing so far. The anime is even worse. He struggled to take on some defective White Zetsu, a being both pre-time skip Kakashi or Gai would've taken down in less than a minute.

What is up with this writing?

uhmusddy

Veteran
Kin
38💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah I think that’s what they’re going for with his character at this point

He doesn’t apply himself efficiently despite potential and skill

Sauce

Veteran
Kin
85💸
Kumi
1,840💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Idk, probably because:

1. He wasn't that amazing to begin with.
2. Different times. Kakashi and Gai both lived throughout an age of war, where as Kono grew up in a time of piece. He probably doesn't need to train that hard to kill some fodder nin and zetsu

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Like Sauce and Darth says, he is overestimated. He never actually showed anything to suggest he would be a bigshot imo. If we calmly analyzed and judged him according to his level (fodder), we would see he's sorta doing okay at least.

heiwasozo

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Y'all really trying it saying that Konohamaru wasn't much to begin with and was overestimated. Please stop pretending like you have amnesia. Do I need to remind you?

He mastered Rasengan and could use elemental affinities as a genin... (no one in Naruto's generation could do either of these things, namely before they took the chunin exams.)

He could use SHADOW CLONE JUTSU. OKAY PEOPLE? SHADOW CLONE JUTSU LOL

He also took out one of the AKATSUKI... OBVIOUSLY Kishimoto wrote him in as a "big-shot" and a future prodigy.

The new writer complete re-wrote this and made him very weak.