[Multi-Console] Who is the main reason of making a game looks good?

ArabianLuffy

Elite
Kin
152💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
All have an equal importance. If one is out of sync, it can destroy what was made and be extremely unappealing.
But don't you think a director is the reason first? People like:

- Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil)
- Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid)
- Tetsuya Nomura (Kingdom Hearts)

... etc

ArabianLuffy

Elite
Kin
152💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think people like Hideo Kojima has most of the say in it.
And Shinji Mikami too. As director, producer and game designer.

- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3
- Resident Evil Code Veronica
- Resident Evil 4

Mikami has always been into "Sci-Fi Survival Horror"

now look at the other RE games. Shooter, and then this RE7, the Silent Hill wannabe.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
And Shinji Mikami too. As director, producer and game designer.

- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3
- Resident Evil Code Veronica
- Resident Evil 4

Mikami has always been into "Sci-Fi Survival Horror"

now look at the other RE games. Shooter, and then this RE7, the Silent Hill wannabe.
I wonder how much influence bigger publishers have, like I think EA did the microstranactions and not Dice for example. But I could be wrong.

I think it's never just one guy, it's more like that when it comes to movies, music, books etc, but I think there is more of a collaborative effort when it comes to games. Like maybe the director has some ideas and then they are finalized with other people, people who develop them may put their own influence in the segments they develop, but this is just me speculating, I don't know.

Last edited:

Umari Senju

Legendary
Kin
238💸
Kumi
96💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wonder how much influence bigger publishers have, like I think EA did the microstranactions and not Dice for example. But I could be wrong.

I think it's never just one guy, it's more like that when it comes to movies, music, books etc, but I think there is more of a collaborative effort when it comes to games. Like maybe the director has some ideas and then they are finalized with other people, people who develop them may put their own influence in the segments they develop, but this is just me speculating, I don't know.
This basically. The director sees that his team works most effectively but without your devs, music composers, art director working in tangent the entire game can fall apart. We love seen it a lot. A game could look pretty but have terrible controls ruining the experience. Or the controls can be smooth but the art direction horrible or uninspiring to look at. Or the narrative could be boring and you loose interest fast.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The directors have the most say. The artists can be talented af and make something they all agree is fire, but it's getting scrapped if the director doesn't like it. I've watched a ton of tutorials, and professional artists have said many times that it's a thing and to not take it personal because, after all, it isn't your's; It's just you making a customer's burger to their liking.

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The publisher? The Dev unit? The director? Or the writer? (author) (if story matters that much)

or list them in order of influence of making good product
Art director/artists
Game Engine
Writer
Publisher

in that order.

All the publisher really does is pay the bills, the writer can still slap together a story regardless of how it looks. The game engine is where it gets tricky, but even then the assets have to be drawn manually.

This is purely in terms of looks.

Ex:
Battlefront 1 is one of the most photo realistic games ever made despite:
Having little to no story whatsoever
EA being a shit publisher

This is partly due to how good Frostbite 3 is as a game engine, but mainly due to how they create their assets for the game via photogrammetry