What are the odds the Boruto manga is cancelled?

Char Aznable

Elite
Kin
99💸
Kumi
69💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The anime isn't going anywhere. People may not be watching like they were with Naruto but by hook it by crook, SP is going to keep milking for all it's worth. The manga is a different story. Boruto being moved off Shonen Jump and to another carrier, the delayed releases of chapter, the story going nowhere fast, the lack of respect on characters who should be important. The manga and show have been going for 3-4 years and next to nothing has been accomplished.

I surmised back in the day that Kodachi and Ikemoto would spin wheels until they got an idea for a story direction. Wheels are still spinning.

So I pose the question, what are the odds of the axe being dropped on Boruto? The manga dies, and the animators run out of "canon" material to adapt. No real loss for SP. They've been spinning yarn for Naruto since Part 1 of the anime.

Last edited:

Lukecetion

Kin
754💸
Kumi
1,177💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Cancelled? Last year it was in the Top 5 most profitable anime under TV Tokyo's branding. I can hardly imagine that number has fallen much, and that original statistic was just in Japan alone, let alone the entire world. Not to mention that Crunchyroll statistics shows that the anime has been one of the most streamed anime in the world for its runtime, especially in Asia. Boruto as an anime is absurdly popular.

In-fact, Boruto was the second most profitable anime for TV Tokyo as of 2018, only being topped by Naruto itself.

Char Aznable

Elite
Kin
99💸
Kumi
69💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Cancelled? Last year it was in the Top 5 most profitable anime under TV Tokyo's branding. I can hardly imagine that number has fallen much, and that original statistic was just in Japan alone, let alone the entire world. Not to mention that Crunchyroll statistics shows that the anime has been one of the most streamed anime in the world for its runtime, especially in Asia. Boruto as an anime is absurdly popular.

In-fact, Boruto was the second most profitable anime for TV Tokyo as of 2018, only being topped by Naruto itself.

Thread is about Boruto the manga though. I said the anime would never be cancelled.

Lukecetion

Kin
754💸
Kumi
1,177💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thread is about Boruto the manga though. I said the anime would never be cancelled.
You seem to misunderstand just how popular manga is in Japan and other Asian countries. Not to mention in other countries in the world. Not to mention that the manga and anime walk hand in hand, if one goes the other goes with it. In other cases where both are making less sales than expected, they are both in some degree cancelled. Bleach is a good example of this, where neither the anime or manga did very well towards the end and the anime was cancelled while the manga continued until it was cut short and rushed.

Kodachi has also introduced hard story elements to the story so far that cannot be altered or explained away easily if he were to change direction. Hence the "wheels" as you commented on has also stopped spinning randomly and are now getting more and more focused. Meaning if a manga as high profile as this was to be cancelled, no half-decent publisher would do it at the moment. If you want statistics on the matter then that is a bit harder because of the release timeline.

Of course One Piece or Naruto were going to sell more in a year than Boruto ever will because Boruto releases less Volumes a year. The amount of volumes would shrink because of that. Not to mention the increase in "online renting" and pirating outside of Japan. That and Shonen-Jump isn't exactly famous for releasing highly detailed earning reports or the alike. That being said, if the anime is one of the best selling in the world then it goes without saying that the manga wouldn't be immensely far behind it even with the slower release schedule.

Reactions: Naruto X Hunter

Lukecetion

Kin
754💸
Kumi
1,177💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Keep telling yourself that.
To be perfectly blunt here, the Boruto manga has seen more development in a year than we saw in Naruto over the course of several years. Heck the entire War arc of Naruto had very little development of any meaningful measurements. The only significant plot development was Kaguya and the only meaningful character developments were Sasuke, Zetsu and Obito.