Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Ms Akther hopes to continue her studies using her left hand to hold a pen

Human rights groups in Bangladesh have demanded a severe punishment for the husband of a young woman who allegedly cut off most of her right hand.

Police say Rafiqul Islam, 30, attacked her because she pursued higher education without his permission. They say Mr Islam, a migrant worker, admitted to the crime shortly after returning home from the Gulf. However there has been no independent confirmation from the suspect that he carried out the attack.

The incident is one of a number of acts of domestic violence targeting educated women in recent months. Police say that Mr Islam, who works in the United Arab Emirates, tied up his 21-year-old wife, Hawa Akther Jui, earlier this month. He then taped her mouth and cut off the five fingers.

Rafiqul Islam is reported to have confessed to the crime

'Severe consequences'
Doctors say the fingers cannot be re-attached and it appears that Ms Akther will have to live with permanent disfigurement.

"After he came back to Bangladesh, he wanted to have a discussion with me. Suddenly, he blindfolded me and tied my hand," Ms Akther told the BBC from the town of Narsingdi. "He also taped my mouth saying that he would give me some surprise gifts. But, instead he cut off my fingers." She said her husband, who is not well educated, did not approve of her enrolling in a college for higher studies. During their earlier telephone conversations, she said, he warned her of "severe consequences" if she went against his word. "Doctors said my fingers could be re-attached within six hours but he refused to give them. After that time, another relative of my husband threw the fingers in a dustbin. "We finally recovered them but it was too late," said Ms Akther, who is still recovering at her parents' house. She said that she did not want to live with her husband - who is now in police custody - any more.

The police officer investigating the case, ARM Al-Mamun, said "preliminary investigations" had led police to believe that it was a "pre-planned attack". "He [the husband] admitted to cutting off his wife's fingers. We will be pressing charges against him," Mr Al-Mamum said. A family member of Mr Islam said that the couple had "differences" on some issues, including her decision to pursue higher studies. Ms Akther - who is eager to continue her studies - said that she wanted her husband to be severely punished for the attack.

"I have now started practising writing with my left hand. I want to see how far I can go. I never imagined that my fingers would be chopped off like this because of my studies." The attack follows an incident in June in which a university lecturer lost one eye while the other was badly wounded in an attack allegedly carried out by her husband.

The accused man in this case, Syeed Hasan Sumon, died in custody earlier this month while awaiting trial.

Source:

Last edited:

-Shanks-

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Ms Akther hopes to continue her studies using her left hand to hold a pen

Human rights groups in Bangladesh have demanded a severe punishment for the husband of a young woman who allegedly cut off most of her right hand.

Police say Rafiqul Islam, 30, attacked her because she pursued higher education without his permission. They say Mr Islam, a migrant worker, admitted to the crime shortly after returning home from the Gulf. However there has been no independent confirmation from the suspect that he carried out the attack.

The incident is one of a number of acts of domestic violence targeting educated women in recent months. Police say that Mr Islam, who works in the United Arab Emirates, tied up his 21-year-old wife, Hawa Akther Jui, earlier this month. He then taped her mouth and cut off the five fingers.

Rafiqul Islam is reported to have confessed to the crime

'Severe consequences'
Doctors say the fingers cannot be re-attached and it appears that Ms Akther will have to live with permanent disfigurement.

"After he came back to Bangladesh, he wanted to have a discussion with me. Suddenly, he blindfolded me and tied my hand," Ms Akther told the BBC from the town of Narsingdi. "He also taped my mouth saying that he would give me some surprise gifts. But, instead he cut off my fingers." She said her husband, who is not well educated, did not approve of her enrolling in a college for higher studies. During their earlier telephone conversations, she said, he warned her of "severe consequences" if she went against his word. "Doctors said my fingers could be re-attached within six hours but he refused to give them. After that time, another relative of my husband threw the fingers in a dustbin. "We finally recovered them but it was too late," said Ms Akther, who is still recovering at her parents' house. She said that she did not want to live with her husband - who is now in police custody - any more.

The police officer investigating the case, ARM Al-Mamun, said "preliminary investigations" had led police to believe that it was a "pre-planned attack". "He [the husband] admitted to cutting off his wife's fingers. We will be pressing charges against him," Mr Al-Mamum said. A family member of Mr Islam said that the couple had "differences" on some issues, including her decision to pursue higher studies. Ms Akther - who is eager to continue her studies - said that she wanted her husband to be severely punished for the attack.

"I have now started practising writing with my left hand. I want to see how far I can go. I never imagined that my fingers would be chopped off like this because of my studies." The attack follows an incident in June in which a university lecturer lost one eye while the other was badly wounded in an attack allegedly carried out by her husband.

The accused man in this case, Syeed Hasan Sumon, died in custody earlier this month while awaiting trial.​
Aren't these cases an every-day-phenomenon ?
Bad as it may be, it isn't the worst that could happen to her. These people are just crazy over there..
I don't know what else to say

Amanwithnoplan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Aren't these cases an every-day-phenomenon ?
Bad as it may be, it isn't the worst that could happen to her. These people are just crazy over there..
I don't know what else to say
People are just crazy everywhere.

But you should try to degrade this incident by labeling it under other cases of "every-day-phenomenon."

Mante

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What a shame, :shy: because people who are complaining to be a muslim are doing so inhuman activities, which are against the islam, humanity and the rules of earth.

PUNK

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
why are people like that has she done any misdeeds she just wanted to continue her higher studies ......i feel very sorry for her ....and hope things like this wont happen to anyone ever

PUNK

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We should stand up for human rights or else horrible acts like this will go unpunished elsewhere
good thing just did some work for amnesty yesterday for helping people who are in jails without any crimes ......it was a long work but heard this news only today so feel sorry to her for not doing anything by us

Naruto33

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It isn't about the religion though... I'm a Muslim myself, and I don't do so well - at school, i mean... my dad keeps insisting that i focus more. Some people don't want there to be a balance of equal rights between men and women, they use religion as an excuse to say it's not allowed for women to study, but there's no such thing as that, we all have equal rights, it's written in the Qura'an :)

sandysennin

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
god doesnt exist... prove me wrong if u can
god does exist... prove me wrong if u can

see, just took 2 letters. and now what?

On topic... there's some crazy bastards in this world alright.

But they are muslims, catholics, believers, non believers, men, women, children, adults, straight, gay, caucasians, asians, africans... just choose where you want to place your anger and prejudice instead of looking at yourself and your lack of capacity to find a way to make this a better world.

It's much much easier to say: God exists and he wants this; God doesnt exist and those muslims are barbarians... yes, much easier...U_U

Reactions: Uchiha Paulsama

Mante

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It isn't about the religion though... I'm a Muslim myself, and I don't do so well - at school, i mean... my dad keeps insisting that i focus more. Some people don't want there to be a balance of equal rights between men and women, they use religion as an excuse to say it's not allowed for women to study, but there's no such thing as that, we all have equal rights, it's written in the Qura'an :)
thanks..i'm a muslim and i'm proud, proud and very proud. I love Islam. My riligion never ever will and never have allowed me to do such a thing.

Reactions: Uchiha Paulsama

sandysennin

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
thanks..i'm a muslim and i'm proud, proud and very proud. I love Islam. My riligion never ever will and never have allowed me to do such a thing.
It's a shame some ppl use religion as a justification to do the crap they do.

But it's even more of a shame when ppl can't realize that it's not religion's fault that man kill and rape and whatever.

Reactions: Xentinel

Zerabitu

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The problem is in the people who exploit the religion, go extreme and when they are clearly wrong they try to back it up with something no one can touch, see or prove wrong/right. There lies the problem. Yeah, be religious, believe in what ever you want but don't base everything to it when ever your own incompetence gets in the way. I never intended to give the idea that this is how everyone act, but the extremists who are nothing but idiots and are afraid.
Everyone who say "that religion is stupid, this is better" is just wrong. Every religion is right in their own way. They all have good teaching of how to live and they all have bad teachings and ways or at least people understand them in the wrong way. Live by yours but don't go overboard and be so damn literal about it. It's the 21st century for christ sake (yeah yeah it's just a saying damnit)!
When ever someone stands alone and live the way they want and defy others religion and beliefs, you always see them go "NO YOU CANNOT MOCK IT/HIM! TAKE THAT BACK OR ELSE...!", is exactly where a religion goes wrong. Love your neighbor, take care of your friends and be a good person is what these books and tales want us to go by. Not be violent when someone doesn't act and live how you do, just because you think what is right. It is ignorant, rude, stupid, insane and self centered and this is what causes wars and mutilation like this. That's just how the world is and it will never change since these also involve money. But that's not the main issue. The main issue is to wake up once in a while and learn from others mistakes. Like here, I doubt anyone would act like he did just because she was smarter than him.
"I am a man, obey MY way or you will get hurt." This is seen everywhere in every forms and it is making me sick. These kind of things make me want to commit suicide, rather than watch the world burn in the stupidity of mankind.​

Last edited:
Reactions: sandysennin

sandysennin

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
But the bible very clearly showing God doing/telling the humans to do those very things.
to be honest, i don't care much for the bible.
Use common sense instead.

If i say kill, will you do that blindly?
I'm guessing you won't because your common sense tells you not to.

Let me approach this differently:
Do you teach astro phisics to a five year old?
NO, cause, unless he's a gifted kid, he won't understand squat!

My religious believe defends evolution all the way... we, human beings, evolved in every aspect, body and mind. Everything evolves.

So, we must learn and evolve ourselfs, constantly.

One of these days capitalism will fall, democracy as we know will fall (already is) and a better system will emerge.
The same with religion. Our understanding is getting better and we must adjust our understanding of God as well.

Or does science still thinks as it did 2 centuries ago?

Reactions: Zerabitu