Nakashima Kazuki

Genre:
Action, Mech

Current Status:
Completed

Moment of Reviewing:
End of show​

Series Summary
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann takes place in an world where civilians are forced to live underground by the Helix King, Lord Genome. It was like this for quite some time, children were even born to have never see the surface. Simon(pronounced Shimon) the main character, is from the underground village named Giha Village. His role was to dig/drill holes so that he can expand the village. With his dirty job, he is very unpopular with the ladies. Then comes along a man named Kamina, Simon's idol. I guarantee you that Kamina is one of the manliest Anime character you will ever witness. He cheers Simon up from the female rejection. Suddenly, a mech invades the village. The village was in grave danger, and there was no way to stop it. A sexy girl named Yoko came from above and fended off a little. While Simon, Kamina and Yoko ran away, Simon decides to go to this place where he found a mech. The name of the mech Simon found is Gurren. With Gurren, he defeats the invader. With Gurren, Simon and Kamina are able to see the surface. You can see the two sides of the world in this picture, daytime and nighttime. This moment was what really got me into the show. The show has two main villains, Lord Genome and Anti Spiral. Lord Genome is the main villain for part one of the series. As Simon defeats Lord Genome, the world changes. Everyone is living in civilized manner on the surface. Simon even grows up to a young adult. Part two of the series has a major power jump. Part one of the series were country level explosions and jumped all the way to Universe sized attacks in part 2. After Simon and the gang defeat Anti Spiral, it has a sad but also happy ending. That's the summary.​
Critical Review
This show is the most inspirational Anime I have ever watched. There are a couple cons, but I will get into it later in this review. The inspiration is great. The picture I linked in the summary was simply put amazing. It might not be clear, but the picture speaks a thousand words. Even though you can't see the faces of the characters very well, I personally can feel the emotions coming from those characters. Simon had never been the surface, and Kamina's goal was to also reach the surface. When the moment in the anime where they jump into the low end of the stratosphere, you can feel the emotions that they are incredibly happy. I like this because each frame from the animation can speak so many words and display many emotions. Which is another point to get to, Emotions.

Emotions are basically the main source of power ups in this Anime(at least for the main characters). This power is called Spiral Energy. The spiral theme is especially prominent throughout the series. Not only is it the basis of strength for the main characters and mankind, but it is presented as a philosophy and way of life, and as a model of physics. This is another reason why I like this show, the emotions. The author really knows how to incorporate the power of emotions into a battle. Authors like Hiro Mashima are terrible in using the power of emotions in a battle. But Nakashima Kazuki takes the cake. The spiral power symbolizes the double helix structure of Deoxyribonucleic acid(DNA), representing biological evolution, and the spiral structure of a galaxy, representing universal evolution. I like this type of emotional power ups because it incorporates theory. In the concept of Spiral energy, the double helix is supposed to symbolize the hopes of the deceased and the hopes of those to come. Those hopes combine into a double helix DNA structure, thus opening possibilities into the future. I like this theory because it makes perfect sense. It's not like Fairy Tail's illogical emotional power ups, TTGL's power ups actually have a theory behind it. And this theory biologically makes sense and can even be incorporated in the real world. That's why I like the emotions, because it has theory behind it.

Getting into the pacing. The pacing was not the best, but it's still above average. The con of TTGL is that it starts off pretty slow in the beginning of each arc. It took until the end of Episode one to really hook me into the story. While some stories, I was hooked much earlier in the first episode. Towards the end of an arc, it's very fast. Being fast can be either good or bad. Bad maybe because rushing things aren't always the best things to do. Good maybe because the mech action is meant to look very fast paced.

Power standing. TTGL's verse is very powerful. It was revealed in the story that the mechs such as the one Simon found were actually meant to be in space. And we all know that when ever something is meant to be in space, they become much more powerful. On earth, they were already powerful. Being able to send out nukes and fly at massively hypersonic speeds. But once they reach space, it's a whole different story. By the end of the show, they were able to throw solar systems with the hands of their mech. Just goes to show you how powerful this verse is, and I like it. I like the strong verses.

Overall, I give this show a 9/10. The deaths of characters were also very good, but I will not get into detail as that would reveal far too many spoilers. The anime is only 27 episodes, so I recommend that you watch it if you are into mechs. They also made movies that summarizes the entire story, but incorporated some non-canon material. Either way, the movies were also splendid. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes mechs, inspirational men and sexy women.​

Last edited:

Cutie Pie

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"Aniki is dead. He's not here anymore! But on my back, and in my heart, he lives on in me! Drilling a hole to piece the heavens! Even if that hole becomes my grave, as long as I break through, I shall be victorious! Who the hell do you think I am?! I'm Simon! I'm not my brother Kamina! I am myself! Simon the digger! Certain Kill!...Giga...Drill BREAKER!!!!"

Was kinda sad how simon just went and fought like he thought his brother would until the gurren lagan rejected him :(

xcoyote

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
"Aniki is dead. He's not here anymore! But on my back, and in my heart, he lives on in me! Drilling a hole to piece the heavens! Even if that hole becomes my grave, as long as I break through, I shall be victorious! Who the hell do you think I am?! I'm Simon! I'm not my brother Kamina! I am myself! Simon the digger! Certain Kill!...Giga...Drill BREAKER!!!!"

Was kinda sad how simon just went and fought like he thought his brother would until the gurren lagan rejected him :(
@bold the most exciting part of the series.Gotta rewatch the series/
<3 Kamina and Simon,bros 4ever :cool: