Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

You must be registered for see images

Series Name: Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Kushu, TG, Tokyo Ghoul √A, TG √A, Tokyo Ghoul: re, TG:re, Tokyo Kushu: re

Year of Serialization: TG: 2011, TG:re: 2014

Author(s): Sui Ishida

Artist(s): Sui Ishida (Manga) (Original Artist), Studio Pierrot (Anime)

Genre(s): Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological, Seinen (Demographic)

Current Status: TG: Completed, TG √A: Completed, TG:re: On-going

Format(s): Manga, Anime, Novel

Series Summary:
Tokyo Ghoul

The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.

Read more at
Tokyo Ghoul:re

In Tokyo, an unchanging despair is lurking.

Mysterious man-eating beings called ghouls run rampant in Tokyo. Living hidden during everyday life, the existence of ghouls, whose true identities are shrouded in mystery, permanently terrorise Tokyo's residents.

At CCG, the sole institution that investigates and resolves cases related to ghouls, Haise Sasaki has been assigned a certain mission. While dealing with the unruly four problem children known as "Quinx," Haise's days of suffering begin...?!

Read more at

Critical Review:
(May contain some spoilers)

Tokyo Ghoul is a bit complicated, both in terms of adaptions and the story itself. Taking in consideration Tokyo Ghoul's expansiveness, making a simple anime or manga review would be almost impossible. Both adaptions balance greatly, in terms of characterization, art and how well certain scenes and scenarios are executed. However, Tokyo Ghoul is probably one of the best seinens out there. I'm going to break down my review a bit, starting with the anime.

The anime is a bit of a different animal from the manga. As an avid manga reader I can say that it was adapted pretty well from the the original source, but it wasn't adapted entirely well. It leaves a lot of things out, but the animation was really well done. Pierrot captured Kaneki and others really well from the manga, despite Sui's abstract drawing style. The lighting and backgrounds were pretty well done, and the fight scenes were really well choreographed, especially the Kaneki vs Yamori scene in episode 12. The soundtracks were pretty amazing as well. Unravel is a lyrical masterpiece, and Yutaka Yamada is growing as a composer. Licht und Schatten was a notable soundtrack made by him. Now, let me clarify the misconceptions that people are making about Root A. √A isn't "filler", but nor is it completely canon. It partially picks up where the manga left off, but it's an alternate route that Sui made himself for the anime, to give the rest of the Tokyo Ghoul anime an entirely different look. What would happen if Kaneki joined Aogiri? This is what √A was trying to answer. Personally, I think it was a great idea on Sui's part. Sui has a really abstract way of telling stories, and this alternate route would be an example of that. It was written generally well, but the original route was better of course. It had much more depth in both characterization, story, etc. Kaneki's character isn't showcased as much in the anime than the manga, for example. Other than that, there really isn't much to say about the anime...than there is to say about the manga.

Now when reviewing the manga, it's the equivalent to reviewing the whole series. The manga is probably the greatest adaption of this series, considering it's made by Sui himself, and all the content that's being put into twenty or so pages of a chapter is simply phenomenal. Like I said above, Sui has a really abstract way of story telling. And it really works with a series like Tokyo Ghoul. The art in TG objectifies that, because it's not a simple art style, and it's not something you would generally see in any manga. It's realism is something to look out for, it accents a huge majority of the scenes in the manga really well. Talking about the characters, they simply aren't generic. Our protagonist Ken Kaneki is someone to definitely to look out for, he's a rapidly evolving character, and quite the peculiar one. In Tokyo Ghoul, his personality evolves in quite a cruel way. Not many MC's in a seinen I personally know evolved through the way Kaneki did. Try changing into an entirely different character through sadistic torture and being forced out of a personality that you were used to for eighteen years. That was Kaneki. His characterization is so great, it's actually quite hard to describe. His perspective on how he wanted to define protection alters as his own personality changes. Considering he is an artificial ghoul, he thought he can be the bridge between humans and ghouls. The one who would be able to make both humans and ghouls understand eachother. But to no avail, and the amount of emphasis on reality TG makes, this never happens. In re, Kaneki sides with the humans and is separated with two personas. I won't say more than this, but he definitely is a complex character. And the complexity of his character intensifies even more as the story progresses. He definitely is one of the better seinen protagonists.

Regarding the basic concept of Tokyo Ghoul, it's not one of those stories where one party that is considered "good" fights an opposing party that is considered "evil". Tokyo Ghoul completely ridicules that. In TG, the plot is setup so humans and ghouls are both seen as opponents to eachother. There is no good side. There is no evil side. Both parties did something that would hurt the other, be it kill someone they love the most, take something away from their life, etc. Both races have emotions and both parties have a reason to live. Humans are ghouls are the same, but not entirely either. Like any species compared to the other, humans and ghouls should have different DNA structures. They are just similar personality-wise. And honestly, we shouldn't say be able to say right off the bat which one is more of a threat to the other. Sure, we may be under the assumption in Tokyo Ghoul that humans may have been one of the first species on the planet, but what do we know about ghouls? We literally know nothing about them. All we're shown at face value is that they eat humans as a resource for food and despite that they don't eat much. They also have the power to use their predatory organs to fight an opposing party. In TG, the emphasis is heavily on what society thinks about one specie to the other. Tokyo is a man-made capital that was once a village, and humans loathe ghouls for living there, so in return, ghouls would do the same. In reality, we have no proof to know if ghouls lived on the land humans stand on before Tokyo was built. So who actually came first on the earth, Humans or ghouls? All of this is what I personally think Tokyo Ghoul is trying to emphasize with it's concept.

Regarding the story, as I've said many times, it's very abstract and well-written. The story has a sense of suspense that really blends in with the art and other characteristics of the adaption. Sui's writing style is very unique and pleasant to read, both in anime and manga form. It's definitely one of the most well-written seinens to date, and the characters are really well-seasoned. The story emphasizes how twisted the world is for both parties to add in.

Despite all the pros I said about Tokyo Ghoul, like any other series, it has it's flaws. For example, the amount of suspense in
√A can get really irritating, as well as the lack of dialogue and the rapid changing of scenes as well. To add in, the anime is heavily censored. This is probably in defense to the amount of gore that the manga has, but it's still quite insulting to watch. Another flaw I found was how poorly executed Kaneki's joining of Aogiri was in √A. The concept itself had potential, but it didn't compare to what the manga had in store at that scene. The anime was poorly adapted compared to the manga, but is definitely better than a lot of anime and manga adaptions of other series. If you think there are anymore flaws with TG, feel free to point them out.

In conclusion, I definitely recommend you check out Tokyo Ghoul. For people who are scared of stuff like gore, it actually only has a valued amount of gore (like blood being spilled, etc), but not a lot of decapitations and such. In fact, the anime heavily censors a lot of it, so if you're not a huge gore person you might as well check out the anime before the manga if you still want a somewhat pleasant experience without a heavy amount of the "fear factor". To be honest, whether you like Tokyo Ghoul or not actually depends on you. TG doesn't fit everyone's tastes, but it definitely has one of the most well-written stories to date regarding any seinen anime or manga.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Last edited:

ANiMUS

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I wish i had the time or attention span to read. Anyway, nice work. I love the manga, but i am not watching season one of Tokyo Ghoul

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I just started reading this review and wanted to say Tokyo Ghoul is seinen, but I'll continue reading now.
Well, you're partially right. TG is actually a mix between the two. I didn't really want to say "shonen/seinen" all the time, so I just went with shounen as it's a general term a lot of people would know. It is published in a seinen magazine, let alone be one itself.

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If it's really bothering I suppose I can change the words to seinen.

It's actually really bothering me right now. >_>

One sec.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:

Kaneki Kun

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Then change it, no need to get people confused.
OT: "√A isn't "filler", but nor is it completely canon." As long as the Sui Ishida is charge of the storyline it remains canon only thing it does is show the different routes to Kaneki.
Tokyo Ghoul shows Kaneki as a ghoul doing his own thing.
Tokyo Ghoul √A is a what if Kaneki joined aogiri (which was poorly done)
Tokyo Ghoul re depicts Kaneki in CCG
So it's pretty much Kaneki in 3 different routes which is amazing.
You don't have to think "What if Kaneki joined aogiri or CCG?" because these routes depict that.
Edit: Thank you for changing it lol

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
OT: "√A isn't "filler", but nor is it completely canon." As long as the Sui Ishida is charge of the storyline it remains canon only thing it does is show the different routes to Kaneki.
That's basically what I meant, lol. Alternate routes are meant to give you a sense of what would happen to the character if something else happens that's differentiated from the original source. I was clarifying on behalf of what people were thinking of √A.

Tokyo Ghoul √A is a what if Kaneki joined aogiri (which was poorly done)
That's actually pretty true to be honest, I wasn't completely a fan of that at all. The concept of him joining Aogiri had potential, but it wasn't executed as well. Adding that in now.

Kaneki Kun

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's basically what I meant, lol. Alternate routes are meant to give you a sense of what would happen to the character if something else happens that's differentiated from the original source. I was clarifying on behalf of what people were thinking of √A.

That's actually pretty true to be honest, I wasn't completely a fan of that at all. The concept of him joining Aogiri had potential, but it wasn't executed as well. Adding that in now.
It was just like the manga only with minor changes and an unbelievable lack of depth within the story-line, character development, information (RC Cells and such), and even whole fights being completely taken out as well as arcs.
If I didn't read the manga it will probably be an 8-8.5 but since I have it's a solid 6.5.

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It was just like the manga only with minor changes and an unbelievable lack of depth within the story-line, character development, information (RC Cells and such), and even whole fights being completely taken out as well as arcs.
If I didn't read the manga it will probably be an 8-8.5 but since I have it's a solid 6.5.
Yeah √A wasn't really a good adaption lol. I guess it was more of a feels type of route. It really did hit me in the feels to be honest, so I give it props for that I guess.

I'm hoping for a :re anime around Winter 2016. Preferably not by Pierrot this time.

Kaneki Kun

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah √A wasn't really a good adaption lol. I guess it was more of a feels type of route. It really did hit me in the feels to be honest, so I give it props for that I guess.

I'm hoping for a :re anime around Winter 2016. Preferably not by Pierrot this time.
Edit: My apologies I just saw you put 2016.
Tokyo Ghoul Jack OVA is coming out this fall which focuses on Lord Papi Arima's squad and how he got to where he is.
Edit: Studio Perriot did amazing for season one (even with some things missing here and there but it was minor for me)
As long as they stick with with original content without basing too much of it out of the manga "√A" or just strictly follow the manga "Season one" it should be great.

Last edited:

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Tokyo Ghoul Jack OVA is coming out this fall which focuses on Lord Papi Arima's squad and how he got to where he is.
I'm hoping this gets adapted properly so I can restore faith in Pierrot.

7 chapters shouldn't be hard to adapt in a 60 something minute OVA, so I'm hoping the duration is extended so it's enjoyable to what I've read in the manga.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I read TG a while ago just on the moment it ended. I'm normally not really keen on the horror genre, but I liked it. It was an unusual series though considering it seemed to have lead to nowhere in particular. The ending was a total shock (in a good way) with Pierrot, but the rest was just odd. Like that everything that happened in the series didn't had any important influences and that they were nothing more than some "accidents involving Ghouls". I haven't read TGRe yet, so I don't know if they explain everything there or it's a completely different story.