Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
After hearing about the upcoming solar eclipse, it made me curious about eclipses in general. Up until now, I simply thought of eclipses as a natural phenomenon with no need for explanation. However, now its clear to me how unlikely it is for the sun and moon to be in an orientation consistent with perfect, or total, solar eclipses.

Is it really feasible for random events in Earth's past to create a single moon with the exact size and distance from Earth needed to create perfect solar eclipses? Simple math would tell you no. The window of leeway is absolutely microscopic, to the point its laughable. I don't want to subscribe to things like hollow moon theories, but the level of coincidence regarding this phenomenon is hard to refute.

People historically believed the word of the Bible to the T, but did God really create our world and humans as the bible says? In the past century people have been refuting the likelihood of such claims and some people designate themselves Atheists if they strongly don't believe in God. However, a new theory of higher intelligence could explain the stories in the Bible while still being scientific on the matter.

Saying the terribly unpopular word, aliens, is enough to turn most people off of the issue, but again, is the fact that the moon is so perfectly sized and in such a perfect position above Earth to create total solar eclipses truly believable as a mere coincidence? Are we supposed to believe everything in the bible is pure fantasy and none of it really happened? Perhaps some science based skeptics would have you believe that, but isn't it more than possible that many of the stories were based in reality? Stories of higher intelligences visiting us and creating legends of god(s) could greatly explain a lot of these phenomenon. I feel that the idea is becoming more compelling and convincing to me as time goes on. While some of their presented theories are less than believable, most are very compelling and hard to counter. At this point, I'm a believer in the general theory of highly intelligent beings from outside Earth. Is it probable that the Moon was transported here from another part of space for our benefit? Certainly its very unlikely, but is it anymore unlikely than the Moon happening to manifest in such a coincidental way by mere chance? I think not.
I hope my thoughts on the matter might open some people up to new ideas. Please share your own thoughts or beliefs on the matter, for or against the topic in question, as I would be interested in hearing them.

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
After hearing about the upcoming solar eclipse, it made me curious about eclipses in general. Up until now, I simply thought of eclipses as a natural phenomenon with no need for explanation. However, now its clear to me how unlikely it is for the sun and moon to be in an orientation consistent with perfect, or total, solar eclipses.

Is it really feasible for random events in Earth's past to create a single moon with the exact size and distance from Earth needed to create perfect solar eclipses? Simple math would tell you no. The window of leeway is absolutely microscopic, to the point its laughable. I don't want to subscribe to things like hollow moon theories, but the level of coincidence regarding this phenomenon is hard to refute.

People historically believed the word of the Bible to the T, but did God really create our world and humans as the bible says? In the past century people have been refuting the likelihood of such claims and some people designate themselves Atheists if they strongly don't believe in God. However, a new theory of higher intelligence could explain the stories in the Bible while still being scientific on the matter.

Saying the terribly unpopular word, aliens, is enough to turn most people off of the issue, but again, is the fact that the moon is so perfectly sized and in such a perfect position above Earth to create total solar eclipses truly believable as a mere coincidence? Are we supposed to believe everything in the bible is pure fantasy and none of it really happened? Perhaps some science based skeptics would have you believe that, but isn't it more than possible that many of the stories were based in reality? Stories of higher intelligences visiting us and creating legends of god(s) could greatly explain a lot of these phenomenon. I feel that the idea is becoming more compelling and convincing to me as time goes on. While some of their presented theories are less than believable, most are very compelling and hard to counter. At this point, I'm a believer in the general theory of highly intelligent beings from outside Earth. Is it probable that the Moon was transported here from another part of space for our benefit? Certainly its very unlikely, but is it anymore unlikely than the Moon happening to manifest in such a coincidental way by mere chance? I think not.
I hope my thoughts on the matter might open some people up to new ideas. Please share your own thoughts or beliefs on the matter, for or against the topic in question, as I would be interested in hearing them.
The argument that this universe is essentially statistically impossible has been said for a while but I think the atheistic argument to that is that the universe is what it is and that it is not perfect but we merely believe it to be such because we are here, if that makes any sense.

Tbh, to me, the idea of a creator or lack thereof is equally absurd.

Last edited:

ChicagoJhawk

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think people overestimate how unique out situation on earth is and credit it all to religion. If you look up drakes equation it gives a method of roughly estimating how many planets like ours are out there in space. Although a lot of the equation hinges on assumptions the overall answer that the equation comes up with is always surprisingly high. In other words, even tho we haven't discovered other planets with fortunate circumstances like ours doesn't mean they don't exist and to the contrary, exist in more abundance than we realize. Basically, what we consider to be too coincidental and credit to God or religion isn't necessarily all that amazing in the grand scope of what could occur in the universe. This doesn't discredit the idea of a god not existing but it does mean that using our fortunate situation on earth is not the best evidence to support the idea of God

Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The argument that this universe is essentially statistically impossible has been said for a while but I think the atheistic argument to that is that the universe is what it is and that it is not perfect but we merely believe it to be such because we are here, if that makes any sense.

Tbh, to me, the idea of a creator or lack thereof is equally absurd.
It's not so much the universe itself I'm focusing on, but rather our specific moon. The odds we could have a moon the right size and in the correct orientation to cause total solar eclipses seems orchestrated. A lot of stuff in the Bible implies intervention from higher powers. My point is god might have been miss interpreted and it was really a higher intelligence.

I think people overestimate how unique out situation on earth is and credit it all to religion. If you look up drakes equation it gives a method of roughly estimating how many planets like ours are out there in space. Although a lot of the equation hinges on assumptions the overall answer that the equation comes up with is always surprisingly high. In other words, even tho we haven't discovered other planets with fortunate circumstances like ours doesn't mean they don't exist and to the contrary, exist in more abundance than we realize. Basically, what we consider to be too coincidental and credit to God or religion isn't necessarily all that amazing in the grand scope of what could occur in the universe. This doesn't discredit the idea of a god not existing but it does mean that using our fortunate situation on earth is not the best evidence to support the idea of God
Similarly, I don't deny the vastness of the universe. My point is all religion might have been based on misconceptions about 'god'. God might have simply been a higher intelligence and the exceedingly convenient size and orientation of the moon might be further proof

Michelle

Legendary
Kin
9,030💸
Kumi
3,787💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
More than the perfect dimension for a solar eclipse to exist, the Moon has the perfect dimension and distance from Earth to influence life from the very begining. Coincidence or not, you cannot prove either that it is a random thing or God's work.

Narushima

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Complete solar eclipses are not that difficult to create – all you need is a straight-line arrangement between a planet, its moon and its star (which requires the orbit of the moon of its planet to be in the same plane as that of the star) and you need the distance between the three such that the optical image of the moon has at least a greater projected size than the optical image of the star.

If the straight-line arrangement condition is satisfied, there will in fact exist a large set of parameters of planetary size and relative distance to produce a perfect solar eclipse.

In our solar system Mercury and Venus do not have moons so no eclipses of any sort in those. Mars has two moons and both moons can make partial solar eclipses, partial only because the moons are too small to produce a large enough optical image on the ground of mars to cover the sun – however interestingly Mars itself can completely eclipse the sun on the two moons.

The gas giants all have complete solar eclipses – all have moons and the optical image of the sun on them is so small that probably all their moons can perfectly cover them.

As for the age old argument about design – the fact is that the vast majority of the universe is hostile to life as we know it on Earth meaning the universe is not designed to support life. Life is absurdly rare (but the universe is so absurdly large that I suspect the two effects may cancel out) and that is exactly what you would expect of a coincidental phenomenon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pumpkin Ninja

HyuugaHeir

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Moon is 400 times smaller than the SUn but the SUn is 400 times farther than the MOon is from Earth.
Call it coincidence, fate, sorcery or alien life, Earth is flat, Numerology is true, people die and do not, God is just an idea, etc.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,418💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's not so much the universe itself I'm focusing on, but rather our specific moon. The odds we could have a moon the right size and in the correct orientation to cause total solar eclipses seems orchestrated. A lot of stuff in the Bible implies intervention from higher powers. My point is god might have been miss interpreted and it was really a higher intelligence.
The moon is drifting away from the earth. In some tens of millions of years time, there will be no more total eclipses and in the distant past there would have been more frequent eclipses.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's a pretty interesting question haven't considered it before did some research on it and the suns the perfect distance away to appear the equal size of the moon. And it seems with current scientific understanding it's just a coincidence, the sources I've read so far stated thus sane phenomenon hasn't been discovered in our solar system indicating to me it's pretty rare.

Something I'm curious is if it wasn't the perfect size how it would effect life on the planet.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,418💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's a pretty interesting question haven't considered it before did some research on it and the suns the perfect distance away to appear the equal size of the moon. And it seems with current scientific understanding it's just a coincidence, the sources I've read so far stated thus sane phenomenon hasn't been discovered in our solar system indicating to me it's pretty rare.

Something I'm curious is if it wasn't the perfect size how it would effect life on the planet.
Good question. Tide size would be different. We might have less light at night if it was smaller. We could still have total eclipses though as then it should feel more gravitational pull and be nearer thus blocking sun from eyes similarly...There must be some articles on it...search and share. ( not feeling like looking for it ATM)

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Good question. Tide size would be different. We might have less light at night if it was smaller. We could still have total eclipses though as then it should feel more gravitational pull and be nearer thus blocking sun from eyes similarly...There must be some articles on it...search and share. ( not feeling like looking for it ATM)
What it considerably reduce the livability on the planet or would changes be neglible