Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The Significance of Kakashi losing his Sharingan | Breaking the Curse

You must be registered for see images

Introduction

After the new chapter, it appears Kakashi won't be getting his Sharingan back, since Naruto restored his original eye.
This has led me to interpret something about his Sharingan, and what it may have actually meant for him as a character.

Keep in mind that this theory revolves around what the Sharingan meant for him as a character, not what it meant for him in terms of power (lookin' at you, Kamui!)

What Does the Sharingan Represent?

The Uchiha Clan has been burdened with the Curse of Hatred, due to Hagoromo choosing Ashura as his sucessor, instead of Indra.

It was explained by Tobirama that the Sharingan is a product of an Uchiha's feelings of despair, or experiencing the loss of a loved one.

Since the Sharingan is probably the most well known trait of the Uchiha clan, it can be interpreted as being a symbol for the Curse of Hatred, and indirectly all the despair or other feelings associated with the Curse.

Kakashi's "Curse of Hatred"

When Kakashi received his Sharingan, it was during a moment of great pain, almost emulating a real Uchiha activating theirs. Someone who he had just come to be friends with, who helped him realize his flaws, died before him (or so it was thought).
This is already beginning to show that Kakashi's Sharingan is a symbol of his pain/regret for losing/not being able to protect his comrades. As an example to even further emphasize what a large impact Obito had on him (and how the guilt/pain affected him), he will refuse to take students until they exhibit the qualities taught to him by Obito of what a shinobi should be.

Him killing Rin and visiting her grave so often is another example, clearly showing these emotions.

Summarized by the above evidence, it can be concluded that Kakashi's suffering/guilt is represented by his Sharingan.

Filling the Hole in the Heart

After it was revealed that Tobi was in fact Obito, it is clearly visible that Kakashi has enormous regret for not being able to save Obito on that fateful day, and for not being able to protect Rin. For example, this is showcased in this scan, where he wonders if Obito will blame him or not.
Then, after that, Obito is basically the villain until he is TNJ'ed by Naruto (not gonna explain everything up to there), and begins to realize the error of his ways.
After that, Obito basically turns over to the good side, and teams up with Kakashi again. Kakashi is clearly affected by Obito's change of heart.
And now since Madara revealed to Obito that he was the one who orchestrated Rin's death, any remaining hatred/blame that Obito felt towards Kakashi for that has essentially been shifted over to Madara.
In short, it's safe to say that he's patched things up with Obito, and has basically earned his forgiveness.

Since Kakashi has basically patched things up with Obito, it has effectively eased his guilt/suffering, or his "Curse of Hatred". Because of that, he has no further need for the Sharingan, as it symbolized exactly that.

-Summary/Conclusion-

-The Sharingan represents the Uchiha's "Curse of Hatred", and it's associated emotions.
-In Kakashi's case, his Sharingan represented his guilt and suffering for not being able to protect his comrades.
-Since he has pretty much patched it up with Obito, him losing his Sharingan represents his pain/suffering relating to him (and losing his comrades) going away.

Thanks for reading,
Magatsu

Last edited:

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What can't things be simple put?
The Curse of Hatred is the Uchiha's, and the Uchiha's alone. You could say Kakashi's losing of the Sharingan and his normal eye being restored was him no longer holding on to the past.

Reactions: Chie

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like your theory and I agree. Kakashi no longer needs the sharingan which is awakened through sadness, he has finally gotten over his despair and accepted what happened, instead of just living with it everyday. :) Thank you for taking the time to formulate this thread.

P.S. Though, Kamui being absent is another perk of this imo. I was getting tired of seeing Kakashi just use kamui for the majority of the war, I want to see his varied arsenal which he showcased in pt1 again. I'm pretty relieved that he no longer has the sharingan. xD

Reactions: Magatsu Izanagi

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Kakashi no longer needs to see the world through Obitos eyes :)
Very true, they can see it side-by-side now :)
Nice thread but I hope he shows his arsenal against Madara.
I think it's up to Naruto and Sasuke now, but I could be wrong. Maybe he'll have one last thing to show.
very nice thread but i cant help but feel kakashi will get some sort of new powerup to make up for the sharingan he is too important of a character to be weakened so suddenly
Thank you. Well, there are arguments that can be made for him to actually be stronger now in base, doesn't Sharingan sap his chakra? Maybe he'll have a non-Uchiha power up.
My man ;)
Nice thread, I enjoyed reading it.
Aha, glad you liked it!
What can't things be simple put?
The Curse of Hatred is the Uchiha's, and the Uchiha's alone. You could say Kakashi's losing of the Sharingan and his normal eye being restored was him no longer holding on to the past.
Sure. I saw it as being more an in-depth kind of thing, but if that's the way you saw it, I agree with you.
I like your theory and I agree. Kakashi no longer needs the sharingan which is awakened through sadness, he has finally gotten over his despair and accepted what happened, instead of just living with it everyday. :) Thank you for taking the time to formulate this thread.

P.S. Though, Kamui being absent is another perk of this imo. I was getting tired of seeing Kakashi just use kamui for the majority of the war, I want to see his varied arsenal which he showcased in pt1 again. I'm pretty relieved that he no longer has the sharingan. xD
Glad you enjoyed it :)

I agree with you there, I think now there's some potential to see some cool techs and a sort of different fighting style from him.

Last edited:

NineSNS

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great thread. Ironic that he received what many think was his greatest power (the sharingan) from an experience that haunted him from the time it occurred. Many are now saying without it, he's just another jounin. He's too important of a character to not have some impact on the upcoming fight with Madara.

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great thread. Ironic that he received what many think was his greatest power (the sharingan) from an experience that haunted him from the time it occurred. Many are now saying without it, he's just another jounin. He's too important of a character to not have some impact on the upcoming fight with Madara.
Well said, that's why I was inspired to make this on the first place! :)
I can dig it. Maybe now we will get to see se of Kakashi's arsenal of 1000 jutsu now.
Thanks homeslice, I appreciate the feedback.
Nice thread! Skimmed through it, but enjoyed in nonetheless.
Ah, I see :p glad you were still able to enjoy it!

Tantalus Thief

Elite
Kin
385💸
Kumi
36💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice theory. But Kakashi is pretty much screwed in this battle without sharingan more specific kamui. Kamui is the only thing that can effect Madara all his other moves get beaten by onmyoton

Joshutsu

Elite
Kin
4💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A breath of fresh air in the base arrives. Thank you very much for this, this is the first thread that took a little brain work i've seen since the new chapter...heck even before that. I like your view.

It would be bad to yank kakashi's new eye out and put back in a sharingan. XD Good job.

Zealous Sparks

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice thread! It was an enjoyable read. There's nice symbolism with Kakashi getting his eye back.

-Obito and Kakashi teamed up for the first time to fight the Rock jounin in order to save Rin, leading to Kakashi getting a new eye.
-The entire original Team 7 is now teaming up in order to fight Madara, and Kakashi gets a new eye once again.

Sageflash

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You know, I actually had a similar line of thought after this chapter. That the grief, agony, and anger Kakashi had to endure to gain his Sharingan was being purged from him and what his life is filled by now, his Leaf comrades and Team 7, can finally fully soothe that pain since he's made peace with his past once and for all.

I thought I was reading too much into it, but seeing it all like this... Excellent job, my friend. Fantastic read.