Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hello Narutobase.
Most of you here heard about The Last Guardian at least once. The game was in development for such a long time that it felt like an eternity until it finally released this week. Now I'd like to exchange opinions about this heavily anticipated game. Did you see the trailers? Have you played it yourself? Let me know down below.

If you don't want to get any spoiler-worthy information at all, then please don't read any further. I try to avoid major spoilers, but I'll still address certain things in order to explain my opinion.

I started to play it today and now want to share my first thoughts after almost 3 hours of game experience. Overall I really like the game so far, but unfortunately it suffers from serious negative aspects. Let's go into more detail and start with the good aspects first.

The music
The music is fantastic. It delivers the mysteriousness and epicness of the ingame world really well. The music also matches the different situations of the game. Be it calm and nice or dark and hasty.

The atmosphere
The atmosphere is awesome as well. The world looks interesting and you really want to find out what's going on, how this world is working, why the things are the way they are and so on. And the game really makes me feel like a young child that has to figure out stuff with a huge animal partner. The size-difference is greatly implemented and feels useful in gameplay.

The animation of movement
Sure, the animations are not on a 2016-level, but I really enjoy them so far. The way the boy and Trico - the giant creature - move and behave is really cool. Their body language is easy to read in my opinion and small details like a yawning, stretching or jumping giant is beautiful to watch. The boy has funny but fitting animations as well.

The relationship and interaction between the boy and the creature.
Of course I haven't seen the full game yet, but in my first three hours, the interaction between those two was handled very well in my opinion. They start out as strangers to each others, but quickly build their relationship and work as a team in order to move forward. It strongly reminds me of the movie "The Iron Giant" from 1999.

Now to the negative aspects that unfortunately really annoyed me at some times. I guess this has a lot to do with how long the game had been in development, which is why I'm willing to forgive a lot more than I usually do.

Gameplay mechanics
It's unfortunate to say, but honestly, the gameplay mechanics are garbage. It's not fun to actually play the game. The camera is super annoying and glitchy in smaller indoor-areas, especially when Trico is filling out the entire room or hallway.
Next thing are the controls. The button-assignment is kinda weird and you often miss your destination when you try to jump to it. I've been falling to the ground or into an abyss many times simply because the character was not landing where I wanted him to land or he wasn't grabbing what I wanted him to grab. That becomes really frustrating when you are a person like me with a low patience-limit.

The area-design
This and the gameplay mechanics are my two major problems with this game so far. Most of the time, the riddles/areas are truly confusing. It's hard to understand what the developers want from you. The level-design should tell you without any words what you are supposed to do and where you are supposed to go to.
In games like Uncharted 4, important things like the usage of light and shadows show you exactly where you have to go. And different textures of things show you with what you can interact and can't, what you can climb and what not. But in The Last Guardian, I'm walking around and have no clue at all. Maybe I think too complicated, maybe I'm just blind.. but it's exhausting.

Within the first 3 hours, I already had to look up the solution of an area twice. And that annoys me. I just want to sink into the world of the game and soak up the story of the boy and the giant creature. The gameplay is interfering with that, it interrupts the flow of the game by simply being bad.

I'll give it another try tomorrow. I'm glad that I supported the developers nonetheless, the idea of the game is beautiful and should be appreciated and supported. It's just that the execution of the idea in terms of game mechanics sucks.
Such stories about deep relationships are what I value the most in life, especially in videogames - The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Telltale's The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, To the Moon, Valiant Hearts and now The Last Guardian.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
ahh, i didn't know this game was out! i like Shadow of the Colossus and Ico on PS2. the controls were kind of bad on those games too but in the end I ended up liking them a lot. hopefully someone will get me this for Christmas, ive spent too much money on a video game stuff lately Dx

i kind of like the fact that you felt the game doesnt hold your hand and you have to look up answers for the puzzle. to me thats more rewarding when you can figure it out, because a lot of the times it makes sense after you look it up . just had to try harder

thanks for sharing your thoughts though DomDom :nefer:

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What happened to the videogames-community over the years.. so many people seem to only care about irrelevant details like framerate, 1080p resolution, graphics etc. Do you even care about a game itself? The art and ideas behind them?

And please keep that delusional sexist bullshit out of my thread.

Akаsh

Supreme
Kin
10💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@bold: uhh, you do realize every game outside of a high-end PC is performing at a sub-optimal level right?
thats where I was going with my last post, the dudes not even talking about the game and yet he judges it.
Its worse than judging a book by its cover.

Only care for TLOU2
Honestly, this is me xD
though The Last Guardian is a great game in its own right.

Reactions: Jazzy Stardust

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
@bold: uhh, you do realize every game outside of a high-end PC is performing at a sub-optimal level right?
false. Optimal performance is maintaining the targeted framerate. 30, 60, 90 what have you, but if it's constantly fluctuating then its sub optimal, and that happens on all platforms not just console. Arkham knight was poorly optimized and even had "high end" pc fluctuating the frame rate further proving my point. Its impossible to say "the game was great" if it's literally performing bad. that's a contradiction.

What happened to the videogames-community over the years.. so many people seem to only care about irrelevant details like framerate, 1080p resolution, graphics etc. Do you even care about a game itself? The art and ideas behind them?

And please keep that delusional sexist bullshit out of my thread.
how the fck is framerate irrelevant? that was always important. Games like super mario, melee, etc are remember for their tight control which is only achievable with a locked framerate. -_- when that crap chugs and you miss inputs, im not gonna sit back and say "oh that was fun, i died no reason let's do it again"

Last edited:

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Framerate is not irrelevant if it's not steady. If it's steady then sure you don't have to be a 60fps ***** to enjoy a game. Sometimes 30fps makes for better theatrics anyway.

If the framerate is so bad that it is literally interfering with gameplay, then we definitely have ourselves a problem, in some games especially fighters, it is crucial the frames don't dip even slightly.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The thing is, in The Last Guardian, it is irrelevant. Because the game does not look like a diashow, sure it's not 60fps but who cares. You don't need it to enjoy this game.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
false. Optimal performance is maintaining the targeted framerate. 30, 60, 90 what have you, but if it's constantly fluctuating then its sub optimal, and that happens on all platforms not just console. Arkham knight was poorly optimized and even had "high end" pc fluctuating the frame rate further proving my point. Its impossible to say "the game was great" if it's literally performing bad. that's a contradiction.
mmm, i get what youre saying but youre missing the point,

Fallout 3 was the most buggy, full of glitches and dropped frames. but its still considered one of the greatest games of all time

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The thing is, in The Last Guardian, it is irrelevant. Because the game does not look like a diashow, sure it's not 60fps but who cares. You don't need it to enjoy this game.
Please cut the malarky. The target frame rate being 30 isn't a problem. The problem is it jumping from 30 to 24 mid gameplay. THAT'S BAD. Its inexcusable, since it actively interferes with player control.

mmm, i get what youre saying but youre missing the point,

Fallout 3 was the most buggy, full of glitches and dropped frames. but its still considered one of the greatest games of all time
By who? i never hear fallout 3 getting mentioned in the same breath as Ocarina of time.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
By who? i never hear fallout 3 getting mentioned in the same breath as Ocarina of time.
uhh, well you should google "greatest games of all time" is definitely on the list

that game literally had game breaking problems. but its still acclaimed as one of the greatest games, and one of the greatest games of last gen by the gaming world

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
uhh, well you should google "greatest games of all time" is definitely on the list

that game literally had game breaking problems. but its still acclaimed as one of the greatest games, and one of the greatest games of last gen by the gaming world
looked it up, according to wikipedia, its been mentioned in 14 lists as opposed to OOT's 50, or sm64's 46.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The Last Guardian - Final Thoughts

So, I finished The Last Guardian today and can do a proper review now. Well, at least I try to do one. First of all, I'll address the things that I mentioned in my opening post. Then I'll add new points, before I talk about the ending which will be put in spoiler-tags. If you don't want to read all kinds of spoilers in the other sections, then you should stop reading at this point.

Positive aspects:

The music
Still great. The music constantly matched the atmosphere of a scene, whether it was sad or happy or dramatic or something else. Even if you don't like the game, please give the music a try. It's beautiful.

The atmosphere
Similar to the music. It continues to be great and rich in variety. You have slower moments and you have rushed moments. Calm scenes, joyful ones, ones that cause stress and excitement and just beautiful moments where you simply stop by and admire the view over the landscape.

The animation of movement
I'm super impressed by the execution of movement. Especially in regard of Trico, the giant creature. Its movements are so fluid and feel totally real. It's also great to see how the wind blows through Trico's feathers and even usual leaves of trees.

The relationship between the boy and the creature.
I was impressed from the beginning. The more you played, their relationship obviously became better and better and the game does so well to catch and deliver that to the people who play through it. The first three hours were nothing in comparison to how awesome the game handles this topic later on. You can't stop to share the thrill with the two main characters, especially when you are a biiiiig animal friend like me and have pets you love. I can't really go into more detail here.. it's just a feel-thing. You either feel it and it gets you.. or you do not.

New positive aspects:

The artstyle of the ingame world
The graphics are surely not the best you've ever seen, but they match the style of the game regardless. And it feels good. It looks good. The usage of light and particles within it impressed me a lot. Then you have butterflies flying around everywhere within the massive ruins of ancient, overgrown temples.

I also like the design of the humans in this game. Thier clothes are really nice and have an "ancient" touch. The humans themselves have a comic-ish look while Trico - the giant creature - looks super realistic. It's an interesting contrast. Meh, I'm bad at explaining these things. Sorry if you don't get what I mean.

The way of gameplay-interaction between the main characters
That's super! First, I was a bit annoyed because the game does not tell you exactly how you have to interact with Trico. But the more I thought about it, the more I'm fine with this. Because you have to learn it. You have to figure it out yourself. It makes sense. You play that young boy who has no idea why he ended up with the giant creature and only heard some old legends about it. Those two are from different species, therefore lack a common language.
Over time, you figure out how to tell Trico what you want him to do, when you need his help and so on. It feels like a journey where the two of them have to grow, before they truly understand each other without words.

The implementation of size-differences
The developers did a great job at catching this "detail". You really feel the impact of the differences, be it in a riddle where you need a bridge between two floors/levels or when you need Trico to jump into a water pool, so that the wave pushes you up an edge. And in a battle between giants, you feel like an ant while playing the small boy, trying to figure out how to help.

The "Trico-species" itself
When I first saw The Last Guardian many years ago, I was confused by giant creature that looked like a mixture of a cat and a bird. Over time I got used to it, but by actually playing the game and experiencing the journey with the two characters made me love that cute giant weirdo. The design is interesting and reminds me of the Harry Potter world. Trico's sounds are great, its big black round eyes are beautiful to fall in love with. When Trico looks at you, lowers its head and starts to purr.. that melts my cat-lover heart.
But the creature isn't only adorable. When it starts to fight, it's actually really scary. Its size, the big wings and glowing eyes, the angry roar, claws and a laser tail.. that's a lot of armory. Very interesting.

Negative aspects:

Gameplay mechanics
Yeah, the gameplay is sloppy until the end. It gets easier to handle when you are used to it, but you still have annoying moments like being stuck while climbing Trico because the directions get messed up by the boy's position. For example: "Up" is only "up" as long as the boy has the head pointed towards the sky. If you are upside down or the body has a horizontal position, it gets tricky. Or you simply jump into an abyss because the boy doesn't grab a chain or Trico's tail.

The camera is just worst. Sometimes it zooms in for no reason or it kills your patience with massive clipping-issues in every smaller area. I never played a game with such camera issues before.

The area-design
It's not as confusing as it was within the first three hours. You get used to it as well.
The only thing that bothers me now is... what's the point of all these buildings? The temples look like they have no purpose except for being décor or part of a riddle/puzzle. Thats unfortunate. Makes the world less alive and believable in my opinion, wasted potential.

New negative aspects:

The lack of explanations/clarifications.
Here as well, lots of wasted potential.
The world they've built up in this game is super interesting.. but why is almost nothing explained? We don't get to know why the temples exist. Who lived there? Why were they build? When? Not explained. What's with "The Nest" in general? What the role of Trico's species is and why they do what they do. What is up with the magic and "haunted" statues? What's with the glowing tattoos of the boy?

It's so sad. I want to understand the world better, know much more of it.. but we simply get near to zero background information. D:

Thoughts about the ending

Phew, where to begin. I like the ending a lot.
The final battle was epic and ripping apart my heart, seeing that Trico got outnumbered and massively injured by his enemies while the boy has to destroy the source of the magic within "The Nest". I was surprised by how cruel the scenes in the final fight were. I was like "WOW STOP, this game is rated for young teens (FSK 12 in Germany). Why do you do this to our dear friend?" Throughout the game, Trico suffers a lot, but the injuries from the finale were the worst. But after the fight was won, Trico still got up, took the boy, spread its wings and flew out of the Nest to bring the boy home. That already broke my heart but then.. when Trico crash-landed in the village, being frightened and in heavy pain to deliver the boy back to the other humans who "greeted" Trico with spears and torches.. before it was told to leave.. that made me cry. Then the credits rolled in.

And I was still sad but at the same time got angry. "No, you can't end it like this. After all they've been through together, Trico gets just scared away? NO!". Thankfully there was an after-credits scene. I won't spoil this scene, but it made me a lot happier. Still not the best ending in my opinion, but a very good one still.

Overall, this game was a great experience and it's definitely in my Top 5 of all time.
Highly recommended!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
cool, thanks for sharing how you feel about it. i didnt read the ending part..i really want to play it!!!>___<Dx

im really surprised they didnt explain anything though thats odd. they usually leave a little mystery but explain the past a bit

i guess they would need a reason to call for it, did you see one? also how long is the game?

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i guess they would need a reason to call for it, did you see one? also how long is the game?
The only reason I could think of is.. the core of the game is about the relationship between Trico and the little boy. The mysterious world around them probably just isn't important for the story the developers wanted to tell?

About the length: There are trophies for finishing the game in max.5, 15 and 30 hours. I have finished the story in about 15 hours, but I must've missed a lot of optional, hidden stuff. Seems like most people missed it tho, because next to the trophies, there is a display of percentages. My guess is that it shows how many people overall unlocked those trophies and the numbers range between less than 1% and up to 4%.

It's the perfect game for riddle-masters and collectibles-hunters.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The only reason I could think of is.. the core of the game is about the relationship between Trico and the little boy. The mysterious world around them probably just isn't important for the story the developers wanted to tell?

About the length: There are trophies for finishing the game in max.5, 15 and 30 hours. I have finished the story in about 15 hours, but I must've missed a lot of optional, hidden stuff. Seems like most people missed it tho, because next to the trophies, there is a display of percentages. My guess is that it shows how many people overall unlocked those trophies and the numbers range between less than 1% and up to 4%.

It's the perfect game for riddle-masters and collectibles-hunters.
that makes sense. i cant wait to play! T__T

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sadly it didn't "get" me as much as I hoped it would. I mean, it's easy to make a giant animal that acts like a cat/dog/horse sympathetic, but seeing it and the boy get hurt over and over again just left me with an "oh okay" kind of feeling.

I find the lore to be quite interesting though, or at least the theories I've heard about it. And it is certainly technically impressive.