Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The Connection Between Itachi and Samurai | Rōnin

You must be registered for see images

Preface

The following post was intended to be my contribution to a collaborative thread between a few other members, which never ended up seeing the light of day. Despite "retiring" from thread-making, I've decided to share this (for a few different reasons). You may find it to be very "short" coming from me, and that was exactly my intention: a small, to-the-point analysis of something I thought was interesting.

Please, enjoy :)

This scan is the very first "complete" image we get of Itachi, which already makes it a very significant and iconic panel (it takes up the whole page). In the ones we had seen prior to this point in the manga, he had his Akatsuki hat on and his cloak completely buttoned up, or was a mere silhouette.

You may notice that his arm is tucked into the crease of his cloak. Now, back at this point, the Akatsuki robes only had one sleeve (shown clearly on this page here ), so it was possible to dismiss this as a "cool pose" and not take it at more than face value. But that possibility became less probable after that was retconned (the robes now had two sleeves) and when he was shown again in this pose, when he meets Sasuke at the Uchiha Hideout in Part II, another highly significant panel (once again, occupying almost the entire page) where he sits in the throne. He continues to have his arm like this for a good portion of the dialogue with Sasuke before the actual fighting begins.

Why is he not placing both his arms on the armrests? Why did he hold that pose for a long time? Kishi deliberately went out of his way to draw him like this on multiple occasions: and with good reason.

This arm-in-sleeve pose is actually an iconic pose that represents rōnin: masterless samurai. In the same way that cowboys are portrayed in American films and media by their big hats and boots, the arm-in-sleeve pose is a staple of rōnin in Japanese samurai films and other media. It was first popularized in the 1961 film Yōjimbo, which was highly influential in Japan.

Additionally, for some extra emphasis, the straw hats that the Akatsuki wore during Part I and early Part II are a very common accessory for rōnin, both in actual history and Japanese media. They are often seen with it as the hat is meant to be for all types of weather, emphasizing that a rōnin is a wanderer, always travelling the land in all sorts of conditions.

Now that the significance of this pose has been established, the next question is: why? Why did Kishimoto illustrate a deliberate association between Itachi and a rōnin? The answer lies in what truly defines a rōnin...

Definition: A rōnin (浪人) was a samurai with no lord or master during the feudal period (1185–1868) of Japan. A samurai became masterless from the death or fall of his master, or after the loss of his master's favor or privilege.

According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (the Code of the Samurai), a samurai was supposed to commit seppuku (also "hara kiri" — ritual suicide) upon the loss of his master. One who chose not to honor the code was "on his own" and was meant to suffer great shame. The undesirability of rōnin status was mainly a discrimination imposed by other samurai and by daimyo, the feudal lords.
...in the same way that a rōnin was alone, discriminated against, and meant to suffer a great deal of shame and pain, so did Itachi. He led a life where he abandoned his honor, and everyone saw him as a traitor and a criminal. And actually, the fact that Konoha's elders and lords had a hand in orchestrating/condoning the massacre, transforming Itachi into a nukenin, parallels the way the feudal lords of Japan were the one who discriminated masterless samurai as rōnin.

This can actually be considered one of the earliest hints from Kishimoto that not all was as it seemed about Itachi, because why would an evil traitor receive this kind of portrayal?

The parallels speak for themselves, but to add further credibility to this connection, Kishimoto has stated many times in interviews that he's been influenced by films and other works when writing the series. Here is one he did with the LA Times (not allowed to link to it, but it's legitimate if you want to look it up), where he talks about how certain movie scenes and effects inspired him to replicate them in his drawing (that alone shows that influence from other media significantly impacted the manga).

Kishimoto: "I watch a lot of movies, and I tend to be influenced by scenes that intrigue me, that make me want to use the same effects or technique," Kishimoto explains. "I once adopted [actor-director] Takeshi Kitano's technique of shooting objects from a great distance to stifle the emotion in the scene. I like the way Quentin Tarantino creates a scene using a series of close-ups or showing very cool images of a person or people walking on some ordinary street in slow motion. I wish I could achieve that kind of slow-motion effect in manga, but it's rather difficult to draw; the only things we can play with are tones of black and white. I also like Michael Bay's technique of shooting a scene against the background light. I'd like to try this in manga, but again it would be rather difficult.
-Summary/Conclusion-

-Itachi was portrayed as a rōnin at key points in the manga, which served as a hint from Kishimoto about the truth behind him.
-The Akatsuki hats are signature rōnin accessories, and serve to further emphasize this connection.

Thanks for reading,
Magatsu

Last edited:

Transcendence

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Absolutely masterful. I didn't make this connection instantly, but when you compare Itachi's tendencies (he's a typically calm individually and has a discerning nature) you come to see the Samurai (Ronin connection). In various mythology and portrayals of Samurai's the way they're brought up is to be calm under pressure. Not only in personality but also in physical stance (For instance, Mifune from Naruto has a very stern stance when in combat and follows his ideals strictly as like a code of the Samurai). In every fight Itachi partook in, he was never caught on his heels, and maintained a very calm demeanour. This extended to his actual persona and even when under pressure against Kabuto, he executed his plan with the utmost efficiency. I love the connection you made about both Itachi and the Ronin both being discriminated against. It's a perfect parallel to make such a connection. This may be much shorter than your normal threads, but it gets the point across with ruthless efficiency. Good job Magatsu! :)

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Absolutely masterful. I didn't make this connection instantly, but when you compare Itachi's tendencies (he's a typically calm individually and has a discerning nature) you come to see the Samurai (Ronin connection). In various mythology and portrayals of Samurai's the way they're brought up is to be calm under pressure. Not only in personality but also in physical stance (For instance, Mifune from Naruto has a very stern stance when in combat and follows his ideals strictly as like a code of the Samurai). In every fight Itachi partook in, he was never caught on his heels, and maintained a very calm demeanour. This extended to his actual persona and even when under pressure against Kabuto, he executed his plan with the utmost efficiency. I love the connection you made about both Itachi and the Ronin both being discriminated against. It's a perfect parallel to make such a connection. This may be much shorter than your normal threads, but it gets the point across with ruthless efficiency. Good job Magatsu! :)
Very good points about his tendencies. Now that I think about it, those Samurai aspects you mentioned are almost like staples of his persona, further adding credibility to this connection. Thanks for the addition :)

Glad you liked it!

I really like this thread. It was interesting and I agree. Good job. :)

Prior to this thread, I hadn't seen that similarity.
Thanks, I'm happy you enjoyed it :)

That's one of the reasons I focused on this topic. It was a connection I had made by chance, as I had seen lots of samurai movies when I was younger, so I figured I should share.

mishoa

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's nice to see threads about the interworkings of the story and Kishi's writing. Frankly he deserves more credit than most people give him. I'm inspired to re-read the manga for a third time to focus on the more subtle aspects of it.

Edenia

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Just when i thought one couldn't think of more details about this character, here comes another one. Kishi is incredible. Plus, i love series and movies with Samurais (Kenshin is my top manga) so this was very nice to read. Nice eye for all these features behind Itachi's character :) Great thread, hope it will keep helping people to understand that its not all trolling or wanking or overrating about Itachi.

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yes, but they changed in Part 2 because clearly, one sleeve isn't highly practical for battle.

OT: The whole one arm pose wasn't just a rounin thing, it was standard across all samurai.
Not exactly. It was popularized as a "rōnin thing" throughout Japanese media, as I explained. There's no doubt about that. If you look at most iconic samurai movies or dramas or things like that post 1960, that pose is a staple of the rōnin.

Yes, other samurai who aren't ronin in Japanese media sometimes do have that pose, but it's known to be a specific rōnin characteristic.

i saw the arm in sleeve samurai thing too.
Nice catch. I suppose you've seen it used elsewhere?

Just when i thought one couldn't think of more details about this character, here comes another one. Kishi is incredible. Plus, i love series and movies with Samurais (Kenshin is my top manga) so this was very nice to read. Nice eye for all these features behind Itachi's character :) Great thread, hope it will keep helping people to understand that its not all trolling or wanking or overrating about Itachi.
Glad you liked it. I know that RK is about samurai, but I've never actually read it. Perhaps I should give it a go sometime :)

@bold: We can only hope U_U

Last edited:

Edenia

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not exactly. It was popularized as a "rōnin thing" throughout Japanese media, as I explained. There's no doubt about that. If you look at most iconic samurai movies or dramas or things like that post 1960, that pose is a staple of the rōnin.

Yes, other samurai who aren't ronin in Japanese media sometimes do have that pose, but it's known to be a specific rōnin characteristic.

Nice catch. I suppose you've seen it used elsewhere?

Glad you liked it. I know that RK is about samurai, but I've never actually read it. Perhaps I should give it a go sometime :)

@bold: We can only hope U_U
you should definitely read it :) Im sure you'll love it

BlacLord™

Legendary
Kin
22💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

"In the media", yes also, "in the media" are ninjas portrayed as wearing full black garbs.

Hisotirically though, samurai were all depicted with that stance regardless of whether they were in or outlaw. Just as there is no evidence supporting the idea of ninja wearing shouzoku.

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
"In the media", yes also, "in the media" are ninjas portrayed as wearing full black garbs.

Hisotirically though, samurai were all depicted with that stance regardless of whether they were in or outlaw. Just as there is no evidence supporting the idea of ninja wearing shouzoku.
Yes, I'm aware of all that. I never said anything to the contrary.

I never said the pose was a historical thing. I said it was a media thing, and since the Naruto manga is media, the connection works.