Supreme
Kin
116💸
Kumi
265💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

So many of us grew up watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, laughing along at the antics of Will and his adopted family. But some time has passed and those innocent days have faded away. And when you break down the storylines, the show was pretty dark.

Here's a run down of the most depressing aspects:

1. Will has no father and a mother who only sees him once a year despite being related to a wealthy, Bel-Air family.
2. Hilary's fiance dies when proposing to her.
3. Despite all his charisma, Will has one friend: a possibly-handicapped vagrant with a medical problem in which is he is unable let sunlight into his eyes.

4. Carlton spends his entire life dreaming of going to Princeton, only to attend a local, state university.
5. Will dominates the high school basketball world, draining shots from half-court and attracting scouts from all over the nation, only to attend the same college as Carlton. His basketball aspirations long gone, he is forced to bus tables at the student center.
6. Nicky suffers from a pituitary gland disorder, prompting him to grow uncontrollably.

7. Uncle Phil employs a servant.
8. Uncle Phil's servant regularly emasculates him in front of his family.
9. Will gets shot, realizes his own mortality, prompting him to rush into marriage. When he finally second guesses it, his estranged mother marries his fiance's father, ruining any glimmer of hope for his relationship.
10. Despite being a successful television personality, Hilary has emotional dependency issues that result in her being unable to move out of her parent's home.
11. Uncle Phil has a heart attack, yet his family continues to make fat jokes at his expense.

amirate ?

R4mbl3

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That part where Will buys speed. Carlton ends up taking it and almost dies or something. Then Will crys and explains himself to Phil and Vivianne(forgive my spelling). I though that scene was pretty sad.

Reactions: Kαmi

Kαmi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That part where Will buys speed. Carlton ends up taking it and almost dies or something. Then Will crys and explains himself to Phil and Vivianne(forgive my spelling). I though that scene was pretty sad.
YES! I thought this thread was gonna be about sad moments in "Fresh Prince" and this was the first moment I thought of. I always get feels when I watch this scene, I'm glad it's not just me! I can't rep you enough for this comment.

R4mbl3

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
YES! I thought this thread was gonna be about sad moments in "Fresh Prince" and this was the first moment I thought of. I always get feels when I watch this scene, I'm glad it's not just me! I can't rep you enough for this comment.
Right! It was the first scene I thought of. IDK why but when I first watched it, hit me hard.
Was like "It's okay Will! you didn't mean it!" lol

Niwdog

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
haters are going to hate, thats how it is. I think he does a good job. He is trying to set his children up, but they dumb as a rock.
He's kinda dumber than them if he thinks that it's a great idea to make his 9 year old daughter a singing superstar. The sort of mental toll that has on children is awful. Also, people need to get their head out of Will Smith's ass just a LITTLE bit. It's good to have your head (not specifically you - just a general you) up somebody's ass, but not so far deep that you can't breathe or become completely blinded. Smith is quite overrated in the sense that there's a sort of butter-won't-melt attitude towards him; and this isn't hate - credit where credit is due should be given, but where it isn't, it shouldn't, and it just comes from having one's head too far up the person's ass.

OT: Waaaaaay too much is being read into the storylines. The assumption that mum only visits once a year is so false. She shows up several times a year, and you only see particular events and episodes, she could be showing up several times in between. The thing about Jazz makes no sense; wearing sunglasses all the time does not mean you have an eye condition or else you would get something that was actually medically prescribed. Hilary's fiancé dying is tragic, but there's not enough stuff to make it a really depressing story even if it was real. The show is about various people and various things happen to various people. If it was just one person with lots of terrible stuff happening, THEN it might be depressing.

Last edited: