Year of Serialization: 2014

Author(s): Creator - Watanabe, Shinichiro

Artist(s): N/A

Genre(s): Psychological, Thriller

Current Status: Finished

Moment of Reviewing: 11th Episode

Other Formats: N/A​

Series Summary

Set in an alternate version of Tokyo, the story centers around two young boys, who are supposidly no longer meant to exist. They have taken on the roles of terrorists, naming themselves "Sphinx". Seemingly causing pointless destruction for the sake of games. The duo also publisize their antics, posting viral videos of themselves to the public as they set riddles for the police force to solve in an attempt to stop the attacks, with the conclusion either saving lives or destroying them. The story takes on a twist as a 3rd party enters the fold, turning everything upside down as the story begins to clear & true motives reveal themselves.

You must be registered for see images

Critical Review

Having mostly only watched Anime surrounded by supernatural/super powered beings, this was a breath of fresh air & suprisingly drew me in on the first episode. I dont expect much from what I watch, as I prefer the action sequences over the story half the time.

The story is not so simple that it only follows the destruction, in my opinion, not overstepping any boundries as it makes sure to tread lightly with the subject of terroism & really does not center around it all that much, focusing more on other aspects of the story. There is also a hints of romance within the anime, perfectly balanced as it does not focus on it too much but fits in very well with the story.

The anime has a great design & soundtrack that is fitting for each scene, nothing too dramatic but nothing that dulls out the mood of the scene.

The only negative in my opinion is how short the series was, I think they could have done alot more with the duo's back story & would of preferred it, I would really like to see a prequel to this story. Even still, the length takes little away from the series & with only 11 episodes it is worth the watch. With an average rating of 8.3/10 I would give similar marks.

You must be registered for see images

Beyond the Horizon

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I watched this back two days ago now. Aside from Five, it was a great show. It also had a great soundtrack with a few of the best scenes in anime I've seen in anime to date. And don't even get me started on that ending. Let's just say tears were shed.

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I kind of understood the concept of trying to introduce Five into the show but she wasn't really dealt with properly by the producers..A lot more closer to what it was we had with L and Light and we could have had this show breaking rating ranks imo.
Despite this, it was still a wonderfully terrific anime imo and despite having 11 episodes, it was totally close to a rating of 10 for me. And of course that ending..I really didn't see that coming tbh

kujaku

Kin
2,928💸
Kumi
352💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't get why this anime is not more popular. Despite being released in 2014 I only found out about it in 2017. Why? This is a great anime. I liked it a lot, but I must agree with everyone, Five was so annoying. I see the point of her being there, but she wasn't dealt with properly.