0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

General Info:

Series Name: Steins;Gate

Based on the Visual Novel developed by 5pb and Nitroplus​

Year of Serialization:
Visual Novel released on October 15, 2009 for the Xbox 360. Was later released on other platforms.
Anime was released on April 6, 2011 and aired until September 14, 2011.
A movie was released following the anime's plot on April 20, 2013.
Many manga series have also been released showing alternate settings and stories.

Author(s): Naotaka Hayashi

Artist(s): Anime was produced by White Fox.

Genre(s): Science fiction, Mystery, Romance

Current Status: Finished Airing on September 14, 2011.

Moment of Reviewing: After watching the anime series (25 episodes including an OVA) and playing through the Visual Novel.

Other Formats:
Manga Adaptions
- Ongoing, written by Sarach Yomi
- Completed, written by Kenji Mizuta
- Ongoing, written by Takeshi Mizoguchi
- Ongoing, written by Yuzuhana Morita
- Ongoing, written by Shinichirou Nariie​
Film Adaption
Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu - April 20, 2013, written by Jukki Hanada, directed by Kanji Wakabayashi​
Original Visual Novel
Steins;Gate
Steins;Gate Senkei Kōsoku no Phenogram​

Anime Trailer

Series Summary:
Steins; Gate follows an eclectic group of individuals who have the ability to send text messages to the past. However throughout their experimentation process, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down. Now it’s a careful game of cat and mouse to not get caught and moreover, try to survive.​

Critical Review:
Story
The story of Steins;Gate is a very complex and thought provoking. The story deals mainly with time travel and a different approach to time travel than most other anime or medias. The creativity that was shown in this anime is also seen in the plot structure and the telling of the story. The first episodes of the story set up a basis and meeting with all the main characters that help Okabe Rintarou, the protagonist of the story, and create a safe "past". The next part of the story involves a changing plot structure reminiscent to a film called "Memento". The pace of the story starts off dreadfully slow but allows for a powerful rising action and climax. If one is willing to work through the slow entrance into the story, they will enjoy the anime as a whole.

The story is very dark for how it is presented. The anime has a powerful but dark theme that twists one's perceptions of time and their own perceptions of events. This twisting in how one views something causes a large amount of suspense with every major event and the event usually doesn't turn out as the viewer would expect. This allows for an unpredictable and exciting anime to be seen.

The anime is mostly story and dialogue between characters rather than action like shonen anime and manga. There are some moments of action but they are to progress the story. The story is very complex so if one isn't willing to focus on learning the plot, or think back on the past events, it may be difficult to follow. The anime is also worth watching once more after finishing to allow for a better understanding of the entire plot structure.​

You must be registered for see images

Characters
The characters of Steins;Gate are very diverse and at times feel exaggerated. Even though their personalities are drawn out of proportion, they feel real and their emotions are translated very excellently by the voice actors and the writing that presents them in such a way. All of the characters experience some sort of development throughout the story and some pain in their past which they face. These characters feel real in the sense of their change, dynamic personality, and the emotions that they feel. Each character is also very unique and there doesn't appear to be any copy and pasted characters from other anime. Although many of the characters have tropes involved with them.

Many of the typical anime protagonists are very heroic or brave characters but the protagonist in this character relies on his friends to progress through his troubles. Although this sounds familiar to the increased strength from friends in other anime, it is done differently. The main character will be trapped in a situation where no escape seems possible but rather than just having an urge to move forward, he asks one of his friends to give advice and help him. This reliance on others helps build the characters' relationships and allow the audience to see more of these interactions that show a change in each character relative to their interactions with Okabe.

Unlike other anime, many of the characters have interactions between each other and not just the main character. In many anime, an episode will focus on the main character's interaction with a particular character than move onto the next character. This anime doesn't follow the typical pattern of one episode for one character formula and uses a few characters in each episode to create a progression in the story.​

Sound

The devotion by the sound and music department of the publishers resulted in an amazing soundtrack. All of the sounds and songs used in the anime are appropriate and create an emotional response in the viewers. The songs all use a melodious tone that fits the style of the anime. The combination of the computer-generated sounds with a piano behind most of the songs has a powerful effect.

All of the voice actors for the main characters also recorded a song. Many are hilariously done or amazing.

WARNING: May Contain Spoilers

Okabe Rintarou
Hashida Itaru
Makise Kurisu
Amane Suzuha
Shiina Mayuri
Kiryuu Moeka
Ruka Urushibara
Faris NyanNyan

Animation
Excellently rendered animations and the style is unique. The animations all seemed smooth and never any noticeable distortions in character proportion that I noticed while watching the anime. Overall, high quality animation done by the publishers.​

Final Thoughts
This anime is worth watching if you enjoy an intellectual anime that doesn't always involve a constant action going on the screen. The anime has many moments of hilariousness and fun moments. Don't watch this anime all in one sitting, allow time between each set of episodes to allow yourself to think about the last few episodes and develop a thesis or guess on what will happen next. The anime will usually turn that over on its head. Don't watch the english dub, they ruin some of the best parts of the anime. It feels as though the english dub voice actors trail off of the true personality of the characters. If you are at all interested in physics, this may be an interesting anime for you to think about as it does use scientific findings from the past few years and puts a slight twist on them. If you do find yourself fascinated with the world created with this anime, there is a huge multitude of other formats to find this story in. The amount of work done to the world is gigantic.​

reizon

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
this anime is good to watch if you are brainless.

it contradicts itself in so many diferent levels.!!

but time travel itself is a very tough topic, so guess can give some leaway.!!

Alternative

Elite
Kin
300💸
Kumi
304💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

In my opinion Time Travel is the number one topic most people would think of when someone says "Sci-fi". But yes it's a difficult topic to use and you can tell the people in charge of the manga/visual novels whatever came first did their research into how to present the difficult genre. I think they pulled it off really well, but I haven't seen much of anything which involves time travel unless you count Inazuma Eleven so yeah. :3

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

It's one of the best adaptation ever in terms of time-travel. In anime, for sure but also better than most real-life movies and books too.

Brainless? I'd say you are clueless. Cause you clearly don't saw enough fiascos on time-travel. If you think it contradicts itself so much, then I dare you, to name a logical plothole in Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate is exceptionally well-written - one of the best plot ever, that leaves practically no plotholes despite such a tough subject.

As for the anime, it's my favorite ever - so I usually give it around 9.5/10 as I see no flaws; except that its pace is slow at the start. However, whether I'm biased or not, it deserves at least 9/10 pretty deservingly.

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's one of the best adaptation ever in terms of time-travel. In anime, for sure but also better than most real-life movies and books too.

Brainless? I'd say you are clueless. Cause you clearly don't saw enough fiascos on time-travel. If you think it contradicts itself so much, then I dare you, to name a logical plothole in Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate is exceptionally well-written - one of the best plot ever, that leaves practically no plotholes despite such a tough subject.

As for the anime, it's my favorite ever - so I usually give it around 9.5/10 as I see no flaws; except that its pace is slow at the start. However, whether I'm biased or not, it deserves at least 9/10 pretty deservingly.
You tell 'em, Escorpius! =D lol

And I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the English dub, man. I found it to be up there with Bebop, Baccano!, Death Note, and FMA, personally. I thought Okabe, Kurisu, and Daru's dubs were all exceptionally well done.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i think its highly overrated and the plot twist wasnt that interesting imo. but i also like FLCL, which a lot of people think is overrated, so...

but thanks for the review