Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

General Info:

Series Name: Shin Sekai Yori, From the New World

Year of Serialization: 2012

Author(s): Kishi Yusuke

Artist(s): Kishi Yusuke

Genre(s): Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural.

Current Status: Completed.

Moment of Reviewing: End Of Anime

Other Formats: Light Novel

Series Summary:

A millennium from now, in Japan, exists a utopia. The protagonist, Saki Watanabe, lives in an idyllic village barred from the outside world. Her world is ruled by the people who possess the "gods' power" of psychokinesis. After finally obtaining her own powers, Saki enters the Zenjin Academy to train along with five other children: Satoru Asahina, Maria Akizuki, Mamoru Itou, Shun Aonuma, and Reiko Amano.
Not all is as it seems, however. In this utopian village, strange rumors about a monstrous cat that abducts children circulate, and students are said to disappear from the academy. The world and its history are much darker than they appear and humanity is on the verge of collapse.

Critical Review:

How can you tell when you've watched something so great? Do you experience a passionate feeling in you when you think of discussing about It with someone? Do you just get that warm feeling of sheer happiness that makes your heart ache and makes you feel all good inside? Or do you just wake up the next morning and think about it the whole day?

Well, Shinsekai Yori is able to give you all these feelings about and perhaps, probably more. I am a great lover of the horror genre and when I came across this anime with the horror genre In It's tag, i happily downloaded all 25 episodes and proceeded to watch it. The truth though Is that it isn't really deserving of the horror tag. It has a few horror bits here and there but I'll classify It more under mystery. But despite it not being horror, it has become the best anime I've ever watched. Below is why.

Story: 10/10

A thousand years from now, a part of the human civilization evolved and developed psychokinesis abilities (cantus) and built themselves an utopia. But how did this Utopia come to be and what happened to the humans that didn't attain this ability?
We follow Saki Watanabe and her friends through the long process of finding out the secret about the past.

The summary of this anime didn't in the very least prepare me for the awesome show I was about to watch. A close friend of the five main characters wasn't doing well in controlling her cantus in school. She disappears the very next day and the main characters just act like she never existed? They had forgotten her in a day? How come?!

The first 2-3 episodes really warms you up to the plot and then, I promise that from episode 4, you'll get hooked . I watched in awe from the fourth episodee as the director just kept rolling out events after events. Such was the captivating plot of Shinsekai yori that one wouldn't notice it doesn't have an opening song until you eagerly want to skip the random one they put in Episode 16 or so.

Art/Animation: 9/10

I honestly have low knowledge about Art but as I watched this anime, I just thought to myself. "Beautiful!" The art and animation are so crisp clear and amazing that you might actually get lost in the beautiful sceneries that are shown in every episode. ( Getting lost in it can only happen in the first few episodes though as the story really grabs your attention from episode 4).

Character Development: 10/10

This actually surprised me. In a 25 episode anime, we grow up with the main characters from being children till their adulthood. Every reason for their change in character as they age is explained. There are no 360's or 180's. Everything Is paced superbly.

Even If your preferred genre Is not listed in its genre tag, i still recommend that you look this up and watch this. Keep in mind that the promotional poster and the summary of this anime doesn't really do the plot in this anime justice. As said before, the first three episodes were at an average pace but by the time I reached the fourth episode, I readjusted my position and ended up pulling an all nighter. The pace is evenly distributed between episodes with the end of each episode leaving the viewer with an irresistible urge to click on the next one.
I can assure that you won't regret watching this anime.

Anime/Manga isn't really popular where I am so I did not have anyone to talk passionately to about this anime. Something extraordinary happened to some of the main characters and i ended up thinking about this extraordinary thing for a whole week. I finally met two members on the base who had watched this and i was astonished by their imagination about the extraordinary thing. I hope to meet more members who will watch this so we can discuss passionately about this awesome anime.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great review!
I absolutely LOVE this anime! :D

The artwork is so beautiful, the world is fantastic and mysterious, while being simple. No futuristic technology, that is what I appreciate the most in anime.. I'm a big fan of these rural worlds. The supernatural powers are also very cool. Not too much and not too little. It totally fits in the created world.
Another GREAT aspect that I really appreciate is the handling of being gay/bi in this anime. It's just normal, not a big deal. It should be like that in the real world too.

But I have to be honest xD
For me as a not native english-speaking person, the anime is quite complicated to understand, conversation-wise. I would say that I can understand casual english from most anime very well, but this one is the first challenging one. I took a break after episode 14 or so, but I will continue to watch very soon! ^-^

Reactions: Jinrou

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Great review!
I absolutely LOVE this anime! :D

The artwork is so beautiful, the world is fantastic and mysterious, while being simple. No futuristic technology, that is what I appreciate the most in anime.. I'm a big fan of these rural worlds. The supernatural powers are also very cool. Not too much and not too little. It totally fits in the created world.
Another GREAT aspect that I really appreciate is the handling of being gay/bi in this anime. It's just normal, not a big deal. It should be like that in the real world too.

But I have to be honest xD
For me as a not native english-speaking person, the anime is quite complicated to understand, conversation-wise. I would say that I can understand casual english from most anime very well, but this one is the first challenging one. I took a break after episode 14 or so, but I will continue to watch very soon! ^-^
A year and some months later and this Anime is still in my top two. (Really toned down on the number of Anime I watch since then though)
And you're right about the gay/bi part. That's another thing about this anime. It's maturity is far beyond what we're normally used to seeing ^^
Even to a native English speaker, some of the convo can get confusing. I understand and I have to say despite not being a native English speaker, your English is awesome.
I hope you keep going with it as once you get the concept of what's happening, it's a smooth ride till the end. Heck you haven't even gotten to the plot twisting extraordinary mouth watering interesting parts. Keep going at it :lol

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Thank you for the compliment! ^-^
I agree on everything else, the anime is really outstanding and unique. And you said the best parts are still coming, wow, that really hypes me! I'll keep going, thank you!
:blush: