Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I loved Shadow of the Colossus back on the PS2 and loved it all the same with the PS3 remaster. Now it's been remade from the ground up on PS4 and god damn does it look good. I can't sing enough praise for the base game - it's a stunning classic that holds its own as a unique experience akin to Journey. And while I could talk about the things I love about the core game and even the remake until I'm blue in the face - the remake is far from perfect and I want to discuss the things that I truly wish the had done differently with the remake.

For starters - the mother f*cking horse. Now the horse mechanics were notoriously bad when the game first came out on PS2, but they were forgiven for the hardware the game launched on. Even on PS3 the game's horse mechanics were given some slack as it was understood and accepted that the PS3 version was nothing more than a 1080p remaster of the original game. This time around however the game was again, remade from the ground up for new hardware and for reasons I cannot fathom they decided to make the god damn horse mechanics a 1-for-1 recreation of how they were on the PS2. I understand the logic of wanting to remake the game as pure and true-to-form as the original; but that's what remasters are for - not fullblown remakes. The horse is so irritating to maneuver that it constantly distracts you from the amazing visuals and experience. Again, this was part of the charm back when the game originally launched. But a remake needs to offer more than updated visuals - it needs to offer a gameplay experience that players of the current hardware generation have come to expect.

Furthermore, a new welcomed addition to the game also happens to be it's biggest curse: autosave. I dont recall if the PS3 version updated the game with an autosave mechanic, but it is a welcome addition to the PS4 remake.... or so I thought. As it turns out, the developers of the remake made another decision that I cannot for the life of me understand: autosaves in this game will overwrite your most recent manual save. This may not seem like a big deal, and it probably wont be a big deal for most casual players. However the game just royally f*cked me over on my no-death run of the game, as I always manual save after each boss. Well after finally being killed, I quickly reloaded my previous manual save to retry the boss fight without it affecting my no-death run - only to discover that my manual save stats were replaced with the autosave stats (the death). Why in the name of heck would any developer with common sense design a save system like this? This game isn't like Dark Souls where your stats are automatically saved every 10 seconds - there are in-game trophies for things such as not dying in a playthrough, so manual saves are a necessity.

I hope both of these issues can be simply patched - another great feature of modern gaming - and these are really the only two speedbumps I've encountered thus far in an otherwise phenomenal remake of a true classic. If anyone has never played Shadow of the Colossus and owns a PS4, now is a great time to add it to your collection.

Tauren Chieftain

Elite
Kin
624💸
Kumi
295💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Way back when this game was published I bought it played for 1 hour didnt like it and never played it again.I saw many say its best Ps2 game ever.
Maybe I made huge mistake .What makes game so good I heard people say its story . But what about gameplay. Should I give the game another chance now that I am 12 years older.

Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Was thinking about buying that or FF Dissidia/monster hunter worlds.
If you've played Shadow of the Colossus before, then unless you're a die-hard fan of the game I would probably go for Monster Hunter as Shadow of the Colossus only offers current-gen visuals while Monster Hunter offers hundreds of hours of content.

Way back when this game was published I bought it played for 1 hour didnt like it and never played it again.I saw many say its best Ps2 game ever.
Maybe I made huge mistake .What makes game so good I heard people say its story . But what about gameplay. Should I give the game another chance now that I am 12 years older.
It's definitely a polarizing game - you're either in the camp that agrees it was one of the best PS2 games ever made, or you're in the camp that agrees it was overrated and never touched it again. It all comes down to personal preference and what you like in games.

The core gameplay loop involves you playing as a lone adventurer exploring a huge, beautiful, empty sandbox world as you hunt down 16 larger than life creatures. Disregarding the story (which is great), that's about all you're getting from the game in regards to the actual gameplay. The map offers diverse and amazing views/landscapes - but it is (intentionally) empty. The boss fights themselves are incredibly effective at giving you a sense of scale in a way that only a small number of games have ever accomplished to achieve in the same way since, as you are but an ant in comparison to these colossi. The main attraction to these fights is figuring out how to topple the giants and kill them, and the game has an excellent balance between their size and your abilities to never make you feel like the task is impossible.

If going from boss to boss in a large map doesn't sound very thrilling to you, then the game just probably wasn't for you to begin with. Most of the things that made the game unique were ground-breaking on a technical level back in the PS2 era, which is why most regarded it a classic back in the day. Today however, the game offers a unique art-style and gameplay that still is mostly fun (you'll want to kill your horse). I would recommend trying your hand at it again sometime, but maybe wait until you can find the remake on sale for $20 or less - the remake only costs $40 at launch so I would bet you could find it for half off by the holidays this year.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
When I first played the game, I hated it too. But the second time I tried it, it became one of my favorite games of all time.

I disliked it at first because it was so different from what I was used to. There were no enemies (aside for Colossi), little action, and no immersive story. But I judged it on the wrong standards.

To me, it's a precursor to Demons Souls where the world and the experience is what makes the game fantastic. You are alone and so you have all the time in the world to take in the view and to finish the task at hand; as you progress, it really feels like you're reaching the end of the line and you can see how ragged your character has become.

Also the Colossi battles are incredibly fun and the soundtrack is one of the best in gaming. The game also reminded me of the Miyazaki film "Princess Mononoke" in its ambiance.

To best summarize the game for me, it's kind of like a spiritual journey in a sense. If that's something you can appreciate, then you'll absolutely love the game.