zenkutsu

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
(For new readers and regulars you may find my other works by following the link in my signature "fanfics')

(Im thinking of maybe starting to move these to Fanfiction.net. The base isnt the best environment for a ff writer. Though I post regularly I only get a dozen or so readers and it is always the same few readers. )

Chapter 18: Gama

We would spend the next few days teaching the villagers. The villages caught on to the concept of chakra rather quickly, but at usual the trick was nature affinities. I simply left my other students to teach them and contact me if there was a possible Kekkei Genki. Ginrei, the captured soldier also trained hard. He possessed the Ishido, the way of stone. However, he preferred training how to streak chakra into his blade. This was expected as he preferred the samurai style. He proved to do rather well, much to Kaguya's annoyance.

I removed myself from the group. I had spent so much time training the others and myself that I had neglected any personal time. So I snuck off with a brush and a bucket. I weaved through the dense forested area until I found a nearby river. It was fairly deep but do to the flatness of the area it had almost no current. I stuck my foot in, feeling the rather warm water. I was surprised since it was just the start of spring. I guessed that the water flowed from an area of warmer climate. I heard that a desert was a relatively short distance from the western border of the forested lands, separated by a land of rivers. This river flowed eastward so it must have come from there.

I pulled off my clothes and jumped into the river. It was actually very enjoyable since the water was much warmer then the crisp early spring air. I found a bed of gravel by the edge of the river and began to bathe, cleaning off the grime from weeks of neglect. How refreshing to finally be clean. I rinsed off with my bucket and tossed it aside, expecting it to hit the ground with a thunk, but it did no such thing.

"OWWW What was that for you Jerk? You could have killed me with that!" I heard a small but clearly angry voice call out from behind me. I quickly covered myself with my hands and sunk below the water, trying to hide myself. I turned around, expecting to see a villager.

"I'm terribly sorry," I said, but to my surprise there was nobody standing there. "I know I heard somebody there," I said as I stood up.

"You did you naked freak. Cover yourself up, you're scaring the wildlife," the same voice called out from below me. Panicking, I jumped back into the water and covered as much skin as possible.

"Who- where are you?" I asked.

"Right here," the voice came from a toad that jumped onto the river bank. I just stared at the toad. It was about the size of my head and light orange in color.

"Am I....dreaming this? Are you the one who spoke?" I asked, not sure of what was going on.

"Who else?" the toad asked sarcastically.

"Since when do toads talk?" I asked while checking to make sure I didn't get hit in the head or anything else that would cause hallucinations.

"A lot of animals can talk, we just don't talk a lot in front of humans. Most of the time they don't listen anyway," he replied.

"That's odd, but I guess there are stranger things in this world," I said while scratching my head.

"No kidding, you are pretty strange yourself human. What's with the eyes?" The Toad asked.

"I was born with these eyes, though they changed a little when I discovered chakra," I replied, ignoring the obvious insulting tone.

"Chakra? you mean the magic stuff?"

"You know about chakra?"

"Sure, if we are talking about the same thing, a lot of creatures in nature use chakra. We get it straight from nature. But the stuff we use is different from what the big ugly thing with tails uses."

"The Juubi?"

"If that's what you call it, then sure."

"How is your's different?" I asked.

"Well....I don't know. We don't get any special powers from ours. We just take it in." The toad replied, giving a funny look. "Hey would you mind putting your shorts back on?" The toad asked, pointing at my stuff.

"Oh right," I replied. The toad turned around as I dried off and redressed.

"What I don't understand is what you mean when you say you pull it from nature." I said.

"Well I might have stretched the truth a bit. Not all animals do that. Only toads, snakes and slugs, not including the big ugly thing," he replied.

"But how do you do it? and Why?" I asked.

"To be honest I'm not sure. Let me ask my buddies and then I will give you an answer."

"May I come along?"

"Sure why not."

"I don't think I ever asked for your name, I am Tengen."

"A wierd name for a wierd fellow. But I'll bite. I'm Gama," he said as he began to hop away and I followed behind him.