[Nintendo DS] Pokemon Sun (and Moon) Review!

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
well, i didn't have much time the last few days but after 30 hours of gamplay I finally finished the main story of Pokemon Sun, this is a tiny review/my thoughts on it, spoilers ofc!

1. Let's start with the bad I suppose:

First the worst thing about the game: well, it's the excessive handholding which lasts hours into the game and accompanies you all throughout the first island, the hours of tutorials are extremely annoying and only take up time, the handholding, after 20 years, SHOULD BE SKIPPABLE!!!!

The second worst thing is some cutscene sequences. The game is very cutscene heavy, which are actually good, but sometimes the sequencing makes the game hyperlinear, even more so than the previous pkmn games, and teh hopping in and out of the cutscenes is so frequent and the way so linear, a few times I actually didn't even feel like I was playing an actual game, but rather jsut watching a recorded story

Third one are the Z moves: while the animations for the moves look fantastic (except the poor fairies XD) the whole animations with the dancing and the text become old after about the 3rd time u use them, they simply take too long, I sometimes just set down my 3ds to do something else quick when i pressed a z move, and even actively avoided using them, even if they would have been helpful, I think the mega evos were also much more exciting. I also dislike teh competitive imlications, them practically being even more annoying than the gems and simultaneously them being sometimes just unsatisfactory to use (yes its a contradiction but thats just the impression I got of them)

Next is the camera, a vast majority of the time it's just fine but in some instance it shows your character so up close that you can't really see much else around you, it's annoying, Exeggutor island is one example.

Another annoyance are the shadows running around which have pokemons in them, when you enter an old area you want to travel across fast and use repels, it's extremely annoying to have mons pop up anyway.

Yet another annoyance is the ''call for help'' mechanic of Alolan mons, it's beyond frustrating sometimes when you jsut wanna catch the god damn mon!! I almost threw my DS one time I got so frustrate, ball misses-call for help-kill the 2nd mon-ball misses- call for help-FML!!! It's jsut one thing I think they didn't really think through when implementing.

I also noticed how throughout the entire game, except once (if im not mistaken), your cahracter always has the same expression XD

Once again the bad guy hideout (in this case for 2 teams) is a problem for me, every time we enter the hideout it's dull battle after another without any change of scenery and mostly without story progression until you get to the boss, there is even no traveling ... this isn't only a prob with SunMoon but with every Pokemon game, at least to me :D

Just a mention: No soaring and no flying to routes

2. Ok, now for the neutral:

The new Pokemon, they are all mostly okay, but that's just it, most of them are just okay, very few stand out and some are kinda weird. Though they did a particularly fine job with the legendaries. I think Ultrabeasts are very out of place though and I really dislike them. Some of the best mons of the generation imo are Decidueye, Mimikyu, Kommo-o, Tapu Lele and Koko, Solgaleo and Lunala, Alolan Raichu and Vulpix, Wishiwashi and Oranguru. But none impress me as much as, say, Greninja and Talonflame (finally a firehawk!!) or ... well u get the idea. The generation pokemon list isn't the best and it isn't the worst. But that's just fine, we got some good ones and we have 6 previous gens to play in the game.

3. Now finally for the good!!

Let's start small: the new move animations, they improved on teh 3d animations of XY in a big way, the moves look a lot better than they did and that reall affects the epic factor of the game :D

The Minimap is something I wanted in Pokemon games for over a decade and ITS FINALLY HERE, you ahve no idea how much I lvoe this feature!!

The trials: I really loved the trials, they really were refreshing and a few, for a first run, actually wuite hard (damn Lurantis, and Salazzle actually wiped me ... had bad types), they were quite inventive and a lot more visually appealing than simple gyms, though I did miss the traditional gym pokemon boss battle a bit. But still a positive.

How the champion idea is handled: I love it, we are the first champion of Alola and it stands out a lot more in this Mon game than in any other. I always found it kinda disappoining in previous pkmn games, you get to know this epic champion Steven or Cynthia, but at the end you jsut dethrone them, it's a bit weird to me for how the story builds them up (especially those 2), but here there is none of that, you are the champion, no one else, as simplea s that, it's a completely diferent feel.

NO HMs!!! FINALLY! FINALLLLYYYY!!! THANK YOU GAME FREAK!!

Now for teh big ones :D the Music is incredible, the main Alola theme is so Islandish I love it :D and there is another music, it palys after you come back from the Ultra space and at the end when Lillie leaves, it's a flute, absolutely beautiful, it reminds me heavily of the LOTR ''I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you'' music, which is one of the more touching musical moments int he movies.

The Story: it's fantastic, nothing really to say about it, the whole game is centered around it and it's an entertaining story :D also, the cutscenes are mostly fantastic for teh story (regardless of what I said about it above). perhaps my favorite scene is when Lillie leaves (and saddest) because with the flute music it absolutely screamed the second to last LOTR scene where Frodo leaves with Gandalf to Valinor, I actually heard Ian McKellan say "Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes the end of our Fellowship." in my head and it's a moment that actually brought me to tears, and when the ship left Professor Tolkiens words sounded in my mind "The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass...and then you see it. White shores. And beyond...a far green country under a swift sunrise." some of teh most beautiful words Tolkien ever wrote. It was absolutely fantastic to get that feeling in this game :D it was the best presented story so far in Pokemon games.

Next one are the Characters: they are fantastic and very likable. Lillie, well I lvoe Lillie, she is awesome, I like how they made her pretty much the 2nd main character without her even being a trainer, it was very refreshing, and she is a very big part o your journey. The professor is ... well, teh coolest professor so far, he's goofy, he's puny and he's awesome, only my greninja lived the final battle :D the trial captains and the Kahunas are also fairly memorable. Hao is goofy but also a good rival, he acts silly, but it's a part of his charm and his raichu actually sweaped me with psychic T.T didn't stand a chance. Lusamine and team skull are cool too, I like how they turn out to be interconnected. Lusamine is just the right tinge of insane and gets fairly good redemption (+ her useless clefairy allowed my Raichu to get to +6 lol) and team Skull is just goofy and funny enough to shove aside how stereotypical and bufoony they behave. Gladion ... I liek that he works with you, he's cool :D Did I forget anyone major? Anyway, the best set of cahracters in any Pokemon game so far :D My fav Pkmn character is still Steven but as a group gen 7 beats other gens no competition.

And now, Alola. Yes the region itself, Alola, was jsut amazing, esily BY FAR the most beautiful and pictoresque region we have had so far, especially in great 3D, so many landscapes, you get the fantastic relaxing island vibe, you get to jet around on a Sharpedo, you get to cross jungles, deserts, forests, plains, meadows,cities and small towns of many cultures, absolutely incredible and you even get the finale on a white mountain (I'm a sucker for mountains and snow). It is easily the most gorgeous, most emersing and best region so far (no matter how much I am in love with Hoenn). It made for a wonderful journey. The world is the most important part of any RPG and Alola was simply stunning. I just wish I could live there :D

I can only hope tha postgame is also good, I'm off playing it as soon as i finish this up

Verdict (read the above first):

You really should't count the positives and negatives I listed and compare teh numbers. What can I say? I loved palying Pokemon Sun, I had a great time and, for me, it lived up to teh hype. The negatives I listed are largely nitpicks and the most important elements of Pokemon games to me (the story, the music, the characters and the region itself) are all just fantastic. Yes, I love this game!!

Rating? Well ... 9/10 :D

For me, it rivals my favorite Pokemon games, ORAS and Emerald, yes that is how much I loved it :D I now have 3 favorite pokemon games

PS: pls tell me Lillie comes back from Kanto T.T

PPS: screw the iPad keyboard

Last edited:
Reactions: loj

loj

from the east blue
Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I actually agree on most stuff what you said! Not on the cutscenes so much but ok.Pokemon Sun & Moon has a great story it was well made and I really got into it.Lillie why did you leave ;_; she's so sweeet!

Only thing I want to add is that there were not many rival battles against Hau which I really disliked,I like being challanged by rival :(

Also fighting Red was a little too easy,it was much much harder in other Pokemon games.Adding to that,game in general was not hard I haven't blacked out once...Trainers mostly had 1 or 2 pokemons with themselves where at that point you had all 6 which was kinda meeh...

All in all I enjoyed Pokemon Moon very much and I still enjoy it.I rate it 9ish - 10ish it's that good in my opinion.Definitely one of the best if not the best Pokemon game made as of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Form

Adam Driver

Legendary
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah I hate the beginning as well half an hour just to choose your starter from the few hours I played it though it's amazing.

Popplio is one of my favorite starters in a long time. I'll be playing some more of it tommorow haven't had much time with it cause of work and other busy stuff.

Reactions: Form

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
this is the first one ive beaten since Emerald on the GBA and probably the best ive played

i did realize though the battle system is kind of linear still, i mean you can just spam most attacks to kill Pokemon and its all using moves that are super effective. which imo made the online awful, its just too much switching Pokemon out. but its target audience are kids so i cant expect much. also the call for help thing i agree is super annoying, helped me get some pokes registered but for the most part i didnt like it, also some Pokemon are just beyond stupid looking and team skull is annoying

other than that this is some future stuff, especially from playing the GBA version last. i mean the animations and colors are nice, i wouldve never imagined Pokemon like this but its pretty cool, the story was pretty dramatic for a Pokemon game but still childish. even the Pokemon centers have a high tech graphic. the Z moves didnt really annoy me from dealing with summons in older JRPG's. i do feel like they should keep the gym leaders and gyms though, probably will be harder to design with the animation quality, but i really enjoyed that in the others

overall im glad i gave it a chance. idk if ill play another one though for a while but now that i have a 3DS maybe

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
this is the first one ive beaten since Emerald on the GBA and probably the best ive played

i did realize though the battle system is kind of linear still, i mean you can just spam most attacks to kill Pokemon and its all using moves that are super effective. which imo made the online awful, its just too much switching Pokemon out. but its target audience are kids so i cant expect much. also the call for help thing i agree is super annoying, helped me get some pokes registered but for the most part i didnt like it, also some Pokemon are just beyond stupid looking and team skull is annoying

other than that this is some future stuff, especially from playing the GBA version last. i mean the animations and colors are nice, i wouldve never imagined Pokemon like this but its pretty cool, the story was pretty dramatic for a Pokemon game but still childish. even the Pokemon centers have a high tech graphic. the Z moves didnt really annoy me from dealing with summons in older JRPG's. i do feel like they should keep the gym leaders and gyms though, probably will be harder to design with the animation quality, but i really enjoyed that in the others

overall im glad i gave it a chance. idk if ill play another one though for a while but now that i have a 3DS maybe
the thing is, the next pokemon game will be on the Nintendo Switch :/ it's called Pokemon Stars, either a 3rd separate Alola game or a sequel to these 2 Alola games

Adam Driver

Legendary
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Definitely get alpha sapphire or ruby. XY are meh, okay..

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the thing is, the next pokemon game will be on the Nintendo Switch :/ it's called Pokemon Stars, either a 3rd separate Alola game or a sequel to these 2 Alola games
damn >__< hopefully i didnt just by a console thats about to go extinct. nice review though

Definitely get alpha sapphire or ruby. XY are meh, okay..
yeah..i played sapphire a lot back in the day though, i dont really see myself enjoying it anymore. especially after Emerald which was basically the same

Adam Driver

Legendary
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
damn >__< hopefully i didnt just by a console thats about to go extinct. nice review though

yeah..i played sapphire a lot back in the day though, i dont really see myself enjoying it anymore. especially after Emerald which was basically the same
I see.. well if you haven't played x/y then it's worth the shot I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did with AS.
Sun moon was definitely a + since xy released and not just graphics wise. X/Y though is still worth its experience but idk the asking price depends how much it is now which I think still $35 but if you can find for $15-20 then give it a shot lol.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I see.. well if you haven't played x/y then it's worth the shot I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did with AS.
Sun moon was definitely a + since xy released and not just graphics wise. X/Y though is still worth its experience but idk the asking price depends how much it is now which I think still $35 but if you can find for $15-20 then give it a shot lol.
honestly i probably wont, i thought Sun would get me back into Pokemon. while it wasnt terrible and i didnt feel like i wasted my money, i dont think i can go back to that stage of my life

thanks though, you stay helpful i appreciate it

Frois

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I considered the game's tutorials to be very short, if not one of the shortest and most simple in the series. Kukui shows you how to catch pokemon and you are off, rides are self explanatory and do not have an overbearing tutorial. My only complaint is the EV system and how hard and annoying it is to go about, collect berries, and feed them to your pokemon to reset stats.

Fountain

Elite
Kin
13💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
1. No super training, meaning you can't keep track of your EVs, easily reset them etc.

2. No bicycle.

3. No new eeveelutions.

4. No new fossils.

5. Mandatory pad movement.

6. Cannot fish wherever you want.

7. Too many legendaries and version exclusives for such a small gen, also hard to evolve.

8. New pokemon are too rare, and old pokemon are literally everywhere.

9. The online communications is awful. You can't personalize your in-game messages or "nice" other people, neither can you directly contact them for trade or battle like you could in X & Y and ORAS.

10. Plaza too confusing and it sucks.

4/10

Worst Pokémon game i've ever played since Heartgold. The only good things about Sun & Moon are some of the story characters, a few new Pokémon, and being able to play without a hat, that's it.

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. No super training, meaning you can't keep track of your EVs, easily reset them etc.

2. No bicycle.

3. No new eeveelutions.

4. No new fossils.

7. Too many legendaries and version exclusives for such a small gen, also hard to evolve.

9. The online communications is awful. You can't personalize your in-game messages or "nice" other people, neither can you directly contact them for trade or battle like you could in X & Y and ORAS.

4/10

Worst Pokémon game i've ever played since Heartgold. The only good things about Sun & Moon are some of the story characters, a few new Pokémon, and being able to play without a hat, that's it.
Imdidnt want to include anything beyond the majn story gameplay above but yea the plaza and the online system suck really bad, a giant step back from gen 6, the plaza is so boring and annoying and it looks stupid! And i dislike that there is no 1 place to hang out postgame, the area with the tree is soooooo tiny, at least in ORAS you could chill in the resort while doing online stuff, the removal of super training also sucks

But postgame stuff and online inconveniences werent a part of the maingame thoughts above

What maybe I should have included is that I MISS THE BIKE!! But the other reasons you posted I personally just dont care much about, though I can see why they would bother u

Last edited:

loj

from the east blue
Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

2. No bicycle.

3. No new eeveelutions.

4. No new fossils.

4/10

welp you are a "I want everything easy" player how it seems...if anything this makes game more challenging.Half of things are not even true xd

Strata Uchiha

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
[video=youtube;yRpwmhYoEew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpwmhYoEew[/video]
^ Best soundtrack on the game other than Gladion's Theme. I love the flute in this.

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
pokemon never really was much of an rpg to me, it was Pokemon, almost agenre in its own right at this point, if I would want a great RPG id play WOW, the best and most expansive RPG in existence :D
"First released in 1996 in Japan for the Game Boy, the main series of role-playing video games (RPGs) has continued on each generation of Nintendo's handhelds."