Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Re: Photm #2: Voting Thread!!

Um.. I'm not being mean or something but Nocturne's subs doesn't really looks so hard to judge or even so hard of work. I mean it's a guitar with a note that says NB. It's cool but look at -Severus Snape-
You must be registered for see images

This actually .. Um, yeah.. What I call effort. :3

No no, I'm not taking her side.. I barely know her. Just stating my option. Honestly. ( .__.)

Don't kill, please. :shy:

OT: I like both Escorpiius' and Chiharu's entries! :x3:
*sigh* Well, first of all, as Scorps said - it's a matter of subjectivity. We all got different choices, different views on art and take different things into consideration. But at the end of the day, the judge has conferred the power to judge, and one has got to respect that.

As a judge, I might have chose different entries, you might have chose different ones and Scorps chose what he felt, was most appealing.

On the comparison (which shouldn't have been done in any case), here's one example (if I was to judge) of how views can differ: Like one may look more appealing to the other, but the one that was chosen submitted 2 photographs. The setup of -Severus Snape- may look better, but submitting 2 photos (instead of 1) is a proof of extra-dedication and extra-hardwork towards the competition from Nocturne's side. This give him, some kind of plus points. And there are similar factors: it's not easy to judge - as Scorps said, everyone got their own choices.

Last thing, why do many of you, rant about negativity and why 'one particular entry' wasn't chosen? Can't you praise the positivity that Scorps bend the rules, and generously allowed 6 Entries instead of normal 3. Maybe, both Nocturne and -Severus Snape-, along with some others, wouldn't have been into the Voting right now. Appreciate the positive sides - it's already extremely fair and kind to allow more-than-allowed number of submissions. For that, alone, Scorps deserves more respect and praises - and it's really low to question his judging post-that.

@ Bold
Then why let us vote for the winner? if our opinion is sqad (unimportant) why do you allow us to vote? Dont get me wrong, your intentions confused me, just that. >_<

Voted #3 although i liked Thor a lot too.
Your opinion is important. That's why there's a voting thread. But your opinion shall be about the chosen submissions and the best one, out of it, according to you.

You are not required to voice your opinion about the Submission thread; which is under judges' decision - not public one. What happens in the Submission thread, is not really public's matter - it's the host's territory. Also, when opining that "this/that one was better than the other..", you are not giving your opinion on the better submissions. You are giving your opinion, on how judging should be done - and that's extremely disrespectful.

Scorps is right - we, Mods, take time to host contests with all it takes, despite our RL time. And then, someone who didn't participate, will indirectly apply that the judging was "unfair" one. That's really irritating.

You got the Voting Thread to give opinions on the Best Entry, not opinion on the host's way of judging.

Great entries, but my vote goes to Escorpiius.

We've all been addicted to NB at one point, or maybe still are. Nice setup as well.
I just,LLOOVVEE escorpiius' entry pure rated r stuff...that black n white effect with those pills its really cooool...
Compared to that others are average...:)
Thanks to both of you.

Though, when I thought the concept of 'How NB is an Addiction and a Cure altogether' - I envisioned a better outcome. Imo, my Scrabble one is closer to what I initially conceptualized. This one turns nice, but I hoped for a better outcome. Another example of how views differ...

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

@ Bold
Then why let us vote for the winner? if our opinion is sqad (unimportant) why do you allow us to vote? Dont get me wrong, your intentions confused me, just that. >_<

Voted #3 although i liked Thor a lot too.
I agree with this. The voters are the ones that decide the outcome. So their opinion couldn't be more valid.

Scorps

Supreme
Kin
613💸
Kumi
408💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Escorpiius put it perfectly: you are here to judge, from within the pictures picked which ones are the best in your opinion. Thats the members role in the contest. Not to judge or pass judgement on how the holder of the contest decided on which pictures were to be picked.

Its really annoying to see people who go out of their way to simply "complain" for the sake of complaining.

I bent the rules and picked 6 pictures so more pioctures had the lime light and were up for voting and instead of praising that, you only complain. Not pretty. Actually, its quite sad. And pathetic.

And then people wonder why more contests aren't held and more events aren't made...why would we do more if when we do, this is the reasult?

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Guys, these were my picks based on ym opinion and that is how thw contest works. Now vote between thse which ones you like and thats that. :)

It never ceases to amaze me how people who don't participate in it still manage to deem their opinion valid... As for the others, you guys know that picking a picture is always subjective. It was hard to pick this time but visually, conceptually, in terms of effort, etc etc I felt these were the most apealing. Simple! :)

PS- Yasmine or should I say Shina.., tone it down. ok? :)
An opinion is an opinion, wrong or right, everyone has his own. The point of an opinion is not to be valid, it's to be heard and express someone's thinking. It's a public poll, it's not bad to express an opinion in case it's done in a nice way.

On the comparison (which shouldn't have been done in any case), here's one example (if I was to judge) of how views can differ: Like one may look more appealing to the other, but the one that was chosen submitted 2 photographs. The setup of -Severus Snape- may look better, but submitting 2 photos (instead of 1) is a proof of extra-dedication and extra-hardwork towards the competition from Nocturne's side. This give him, some kind of plus points. And there are similar factors: it's not easy to judge - as Scorps said, everyone got their own choices.
One would have thought that since 3 images is optional to reach the final voting poll, quality over quantity would be appreciated more.

Last thing, why do many of you, rant about negativity and why 'one particular entry' wasn't chosen? Can't you praise the positivity that Scorps bend the rules, and generously allowed 6 Entries instead of normal 3. Maybe, both Nocturne and -Severus Snape-, along with some others, wouldn't have been into the Voting right now. Appreciate the positive sides - it's already extremely fair and kind to allow more-than-allowed number of submissions. For that, alone, Scorps deserves more respect and praises - and it's really low to question his judging post-that.
You are not required to voice your opinion about the Submission thread; which is under judges' decision - not public one. What happens in the Submission thread, is not really public's matter - it's the host's territory. Also, when opining that "this/that one was better than the other..", you are not giving your opinion on the better submissions. You are giving your opinion, on how judging should be done - and that's extremely disrespectful.

Scorps is right - we, Mods, take time to host contests with all it takes, despite our RL time. And then, someone who didn't participate, will indirectly apply that the judging was "unfair" one. That's really irritating.

You got the Voting Thread to give opinions on the Best Entry, not opinion on the host's way of judging.
It's a new contest. Scorps himself said that he might change the rules adding more photos in case the submissions were good and over 10. It's not bending, it's rethinking what could work better for the competition.
Why do mods always take a honest opinion that doesn't bash/insult or say something bad so negative. Why do you always respond as if members are trying to insult you personally, or make you look bad deliberately? Can't you think for a moment that when someone says something about a competition, even if it's an opinion that disagrees with a mod, it's stated to help this competition? I mean hasn't it crossed your minds that since we take time to enter this competition and put effort to that, we do enjoy it and our criticism and opinions are made only to improve it?
I understand that we can't always agree on something but why are you talking about negativity when such thing doesn't exist.
Judging is part of a competition, you can't expect that people will comment on everything apart from that. If you are creating a competition that is based on a single judgement you bare the responsibility to hear and take criticism, when it's done positively. Those comments are not made to insult the judge, they are made to point out something that the judge might have missed or something that a member doesn't understand. In both cases, the outcome can only be positive.

Scorps

Supreme
Kin
613💸
Kumi
408💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

While I understand what you said Chiharu, you fial to see the point. I don't mind people giving me their opinion...but when you say "sorry but its obvious this submission was better than the one you picked" thats not an opinion, thats not constructive criticism that will help the contest go on and get better. Thats destructive criticism.

I don't mind people saying "Well,m I actually liked the submissions of X member better but from these I like that Y submission the best". Thats an opinion conveyed in a harmless, innocent way. That is not an issue. Thats welcomed. However, It makes us feel that the community isn't grateful when they lack the decorrum to put their opinions out in a "nice"way. And when they do, off course we get defensive. Its our Work. I doubt you stand idle if people convey such opinions in such a way about your work. I understand everyone will disagree on one contest or another eventually. We don't always have the same opinion. Though what I don't like is the lack of...I dunno...I just find the way people say things too "disrespectfull" (not the word I want but close). The problem is not an opinion, its how its given.

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Escorpiius put it perfectly: you are here to judge, from within the pictures picked which ones are the best in your opinion. Thats the members role in the contest. Not to judge or pass judgement on how the holder of the contest decided on which pictures were to be picked.

Its really annoying to see people who go out of their way to simply "complain" for the sake of complaining.

I bent the rules and picked 6 pictures so more pioctures had the lime light and were up for voting and instead of praising that, you only complain. Not pretty. Actually, its quite sad. And pathetic.

And then people wonder why more contests aren't held and more events aren't made...why would we do more if when we do, this is the reasult?
Hey Scorps, please don't pretend to be the victim of some great force that hit you unjustly. Relax.

A member said that a certain photo was better than another but got eliminated by the judge, in this case, you. She even said that she is just stating her opinion. Some people agreed, others not. They all expressed their opinion. No one said that you should do something about it or that you should change your decision. Why? Because that's not their role.
Nobody passed judgement on you, you are overreacting.
Everyone has an opinion and they can express it. A pretty valid opinion since you ask them to judge the pics you picked. Well, if they are capable to have a valid opinion about them, they are pretty capable to have a valid opinion about the rest of them, the ones in the submission thread that didn't "pass" included.

So no need to react so much, unless you can't handle criticism all of a sudden. Which would be pretty strange considering that you are a mod which means that most of the members criticize you daily.

On a side note : I see none of the 2 mods that visited this thread paid any attention to posts commenting on some submissions being "average" which isn't the most polite thing, right?

Edit: When I posted I hadn't read your reply above but you still get what I want to say. They weren't that mean anyway. Criticism isn't always expressed in super-gentle way. It would be hypocritical to do that.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Veteran
Kin
20💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Lol at all the time u wasted on writing that philosophy.
Anyways, there was a criticism, it has been cleared,and agreed too..
Now stop being a hero everyone and continue with the contest...

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Please don't pretend to be the victim of some great force that hit you unjustly. Relax.
Actually, that's the same reciprocal feeling I'm getting about you, Chiharu and a few others. No offense, but chill-out. You are making me and Scorps, look like oppressors who don't want you all, to give their opinions and expressions. We are neither victims, or dictators.

All we are telling you, are to give your opinions by abiding to some set of ethical rules about contests. That is:

1. There's a way and manner to express yourself. That is, constructive and destructive criticism. Unfortunately, your wordings and tone, always seem to tilt more towards destructive criticism. As Scorps, said there are better and more innocent way to convey your disagreements.

2. There are places where your opinion/s can be helpful; namely about the best submissions or suggestions about how to make the contest better in the Discussion thread. Opinions on how shall we judge photographs, is downright a low-blow and is discouraging us. You may do it, but it's not recommended.

3. When expressing yourself on something you didn't agree on, apart from a gentler tone and vocabulary, try emphasize on the good things that us, hosts are doing. I'm not asking you to bow down to us. Simply to be on a page where there's a mutual respect when opinions clash.

I don't think that's too much to ask, to abide to those rules.

When I see someone express themselves, even if it's in disagreement - I'd listen to him. But I'll have more chance to be convinced by him/her, if his vocabulary and tone make me interpret that he/she seems level-headed. If your lack of tact and offensive style, makes you look like a whiner or an ingrate - you got yourselves to blame if I ask you you to shut up in things that doesn't concern you.

Some of you, are so nosy about their liberty of expression that they overreact when we ask them to tone it down. You keep taking pride that you got all the right in the world to expression, and bragging that you may say all opinions - right or wrong...Okay, you are right on that but honestly, you've got pathetic level of tact of doing that.

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

While I understand what you said Chiharu, you fial to see the point. I don't mind people giving me their opinion...but when you say "sorry but its obvious this submission was better than the one you picked" thats not an opinion, thats not constructive criticism that will help the contest go on and get better. Thats destructive criticism.

I don't mind people saying "Well,m I actually liked the submissions of X member better but from these I like that Y submission the best". Thats an opinion conveyed in a harmless, innocent way. That is not an issue. Thats welcomed. However, It makes us feel that the community isn't grateful when they lack the decorrum to put their opinions out in a "nice"way. And when they do, off course we get defensive. Its our Work. I doubt you stand idle if people convey such opinions in such a way about your work. I understand everyone will disagree on one contest or another eventually. We don't always have the same opinion. Though what I don't like is the lack of...I dunno...I just find the way people say things too "disrespectfull" (not the word I want but close). The problem is not an opinion, its how its given.
Ok maybe my way was a little over the top? It was a joke kind of thing, I expected people to get my tone, since I said that you probably see something I am missing. Meaning, I didn't criticize your work or choices. I just thought that maybe my comment would prompt you to explain/give us a tip on what you find most important to a pic, so it's easier for us to understand this contest and make better entries.
I guess it depends on the personality, but yes, I do stand idle if someone say something about my work, as I did now and in the past when that was insulted/downgraded. I just think that what we create here talks for it self. As for your work as a mod/judge, I don't think anyone in this particular thread wanted to insult that. I know I didn't, cause if I thought you did a bad work here, I simply wouldn't participate or try to help in the discussion thread.
Anyway, too much drama for nothing in my opinion, I believe you get what I am trying to say as I think that you know that I didn't want to insult you in any way with my comment. It was just a comparison between entries.

Alice in Noodleland

Veteran
Kin
5,003💸
Kumi
70💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

You must be registered for see images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm torn between Thor and Chiharu's pictures. The romantic side of me say Yes for Chiharu but I voted for Thor:O.
Damn those Lights!=D. It reminds me of something.........

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Actually, that's the same reciprocal feeling I'm getting about you, Chiharu and a few others. No offense, but chill-out. You are making me and Scorps, look like oppressors who don't want you all, to give their opinions and expressions. We are neither victims, or dictators.

All we are telling you, are to give your opinions by abiding to some set of ethical rules about contests. That is:

1. There's a way and manner to express yourself. That is, constructive and destructive criticism. Unfortunately, your wordings and tone, always seem to tilt more towards destructive criticism. As Scorps, said there are better and more innocent way to convey your disagreements.

2. There are places where your opinion/s can be helpful; namely about the best submissions or suggestions about how to make the contest better in the Discussion thread. Opinions on how shall we judge photographs, is downright a low-blow and is discouraging us. You may do it, but it's not recommended.

3. When expressing yourself on something you didn't agree on, apart from a gentler tone and vocabulary, try emphasize on the good things that us, hosts are doing. I'm not asking you to bow down to us. Simply to be on a page where there's a mutual respect when opinions clash.

I don't think that's too much to ask, to abide to those rules.

When I see someone express themselves, even if it's in disagreement - I'd listen to him. But I'll have more chance to be convinced by him/her, if his vocabulary and tone make me interpret that he/she seems level-headed. If your lack of tact and offensive style, makes you look like a whiner or an ingrate - you got yourselves to blame if I ask you you to shut up in things that doesn't concern you.

Some of you, are so nosy about their liberty of expression that they overreact when we ask them to tone it down. You keep taking pride that you got all the right in the world to expression, and bragging that you may say all opinions - right or wrong...Okay, you are right on that but honestly, you've got pathetic level of tact of doing that.
Strange paragraph you wrote. Because I didn't see you complaining about tact to everybody.
Unless tact is defined by one's username.
Or if you find the following tactful.

Thor

Elite
Kin
91💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Now I'm torn between Thor and Chiharu's pictures. The romantic side of me say Yes for Chiharu but I voted for Thor:O.
Damn those Lights!=D. It reminds me of something.........
:hooray:

Lol thanks,

@Scorps:
N I am not sure should I suggest this or not but allow members to submit there one pic only and put all the entries for voting.
That will be more clean and simple,

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Ok maybe my way was a little over the top? It was a joke kind of thing, I expected people to get my tone, since I said that you probably see something I am missing. Meaning, I didn't criticize your work or choices. I just thought that maybe my comment would prompt you to explain/give us a tip on what you find most important to a pic, so it's easier for us to understand this contest and make better entries.
I guess it depends on the personality, but yes, I do stand idle if someone say something about my work, as I did now and in the past when that was insulted/downgraded. I just think that what we create here talks for it self. As for your work as a mod/judge, I don't think anyone in this particular thread wanted to insult that. I know I didn't, cause if I thought you did a bad work here, I simply wouldn't participate or try to help in the discussion thread.
Anyway, too much drama for nothing in my opinion, I believe you get what I am trying to say as I think that you know that I didn't want to insult you in any way with my comment. It was just a comparison between entries.
It was indeed too much drama. That being said, Chiharu, it's the second time (after AotW) that things went over-the-top due to clash of opinions, put in "offensive" wordings. I hate sermon someone but by now, I hope you get that most of us, can't get your real tone, unless you express it in a proper way. Your tone and vocabulary is what we'll reflect as your opinions. It's vital to express it properly, so that there's no misinterpretations.

Strange paragraph you wrote. Because I didn't see you complaining about tact to everybody.
Unless tact is defined by one's username.
Or if you find the following tactful.
:|
I'm sorry but I didn't understand anything of what you said in those 3 lines.

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

:|
I'm sorry but I didn't understand anything of what you said in those 3 lines.
Strange things happen! Suddenly you don't understand english!!
I am asking you whether or not you find the thing I quoted tactful or not.
If so then as a mod I think you should be more concerned about how the members behave between each other, since these are your mod duties, and then about how the members refer to you.

As for the "tone" thing you mention again and again, no one was disrespectful in this thread. If you think so, then you are too soft, it's not that the comments were rude. Now if that is the case, then okay, personally I can guarantee you that I will treat you softer.

Aertes

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

It was indeed too much drama. That being said, Chiharu, it's the second time (after AotW) that things went over-the-top due to clash of opinions, put in "offensive" wordings. I hate sermon someone but by now, I hope you get that most of us, can't get your real tone, unless you express it in a proper way. Your tone and vocabulary is what we'll reflect as your opinions. It's vital to express it properly, so that there's no misinterpretations
The thing is, I always try to express my opinion in a nice way. At the end, there's always someone who doesn't like it or disagrees with that and that's fine by me, it's a huge community, I can't expect everyone to get me. When things get over the top, I always try to tone it down and try to explain what I mean in another way so it's clear to more people. So as I try, you should also try to not take things so personally and see the positive things in my comments, as you mentioned we should do earlier. In a misunderstanding, there's never fault only in one side. Try to recognize that.

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Strange things happen! Suddenly you don't understand english!!
I am asking you whether or not you find the thing I quoted tactful or not.
If so then as a mod I think you should be more concerned about how the members behave between each other, since these are your mod duties, and then about how the members refer to you.

As for the "tone" thing you mention again and again, no one was disrespectful in this thread. If you think so, then you are too soft, it's not that the comments were rude. Now if that is the case, then okay, personally I can guarantee you that I will treat you softer.
I didn't get the part about "one's username" & "tact to everybody".

And I deem my paragraph as something that was required to stop the dramatic hemorrhage that was taken too far.

Now, I do know my Mod duties. Thank you very much, for your caring! For now, I've got good memories of my Mod duties. The day I'll forget about them, I'll ask you to remind me.

I'm not asking to treat me "softly". *sigh* What I asked, is to express opinions in a softer way and to abide to those rules I mentioned above. It applies towards me, towards Scorps, towards all members. And you should take a course on what is "constructive criticism" if you didn't find anything as disrespectful or rude.

TheLastSamurai

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Voted for Thor
@Drama in here:
[sarcasm]Get over it, it's a contest. The judge does what he sees fit so that the contest can run its natural flow.
[/sarcarm]

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

The thing is, I always try to express my opinion in a nice way. At the end, there's always someone who doesn't like it or disagrees with that and that's fine by me, it's a huge community, I can't expect everyone to get me. When things get over the top, I always try to tone it down and try to explain what I mean in another way so it's clear to more people. So as I try, you should also try to not take things so personally and see the positive things in my comments, as you mentioned we should do earlier. In a misunderstanding, there's never fault only in one side. Try to recognize that.
Point duly noted. I'll try to get your real opinion with deeper interpretation henceforth. And I hope that you'll tone it down from the start, whenever you got to express something. Just to be on the safer side.

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

I didn't get the part about "one's username" & "tact to everybody".

And I deem my paragraph as something that was required to stop the dramatic hemorrhage that was taken too far.

Now, I do know my Mod duties. Thank you very much, for your caring! For now, I've got good memories of my Mod duties. The day I'll forget about them, I'll ask you to remind me.

I'm not asking to treat me "softly". *sigh* What I asked, is to express opinions in a softer way and to abide to those rules I mentioned above. It applies towards me, towards Scorps, towards all members. And you should take a course on what is "constructive criticism" if you didn't find anything as disrespectful or rude.
Those are some incredible dodging abilities you 've got there! :p
I am quite clearly saying that Nocturne seems to escape your "tact" radar quite excellently, whereas "me, Chiharu , and some others" always fall straight for it.

And don't give me that, the paragraph wasn't directed to everybody, unless you want to say that every member has a "pathetic level of tact". You chose to refer to us personally though, which isn't that tactful now is it? I saw no "Nocturne" in it, and I have 20/20 vision.

As for the softness, you just phrase it in another way. Well, then I suppose you should take a course on what "softness" is.

Now pardon my rudeness but I will have to remind you of you mod duties again and suggest that since you have mod rights in this section it would be wise to move this whole discussion to the discussion thread, wouldn't it? Because right now I am spamming, and you are spamming and everyone that's gonna continue to participate in it is gonna spam.

See? I can perform excellently in a delicate way if you ask me :p

Reactions: Alice in Noodleland
Status
Not open for further replies.