Year Of Serialization:

Author:
Seok Woo

Artist:
Seok Woo

Genre:
Comedy, Drama, Romance, School Life, Slice Of Life, Supernatural, Webtoons

Current Status:
Completed. ( Fan subs available but Naver itself is at 114 chapter at the moment)

Moment Of Reviewing:
Chapter 119 ( Last chapter)

Other Formats:
A 12-episode South Korean live-action drama based on the series was aired on KBS2.​

Series Summary

Vampires and Humans made a treaty. They don't drink human blood these day but pig blood and people are no longer afraid of vampires. But it doesn't mean end of the discrimination and it's still not easy for most vampires to live openly. Story revolves around Mari Baek a vampire who tries to live a normal school life as a human. She goes to great lengths to hide her identity as a vampire and earns the name of Ice Princess. Still, some outspoken girls from her class are able to befriend her by sheer persistence. Things get more challenging when a popular guy, Jae-min, takes a liking to Ma-Ri after she accidentally bites his neck.​

Critical Review

No it's not another "Twilight".

First thing that attracted me to this manhwa was art. Simply put it has beautiful graphical illustrations. Webtoons are usually neat and colourful but not all of them have such detailed backgrounds. It took me longer to read the chapters just because time to time I was busy appreciating the scenic art. Something that catches my eye in another webtoon "Dice" too but we can discuss it some day later.

The execution of the story is what makes Orange Marmalade interesting despite the typical shoujo romance. It's the main theme, but it is not the only part to be focused upon. Ma-Ri could easily be a member of any other minority group trying to survive in a hostile society. The prejudice against vampires sometimes may hurt normal people too or manipulated for personal benefits disregarding the effect of their action on rest of the community.

The issues of mutual distrust and early life experiences have made Ma-Ri vary of humans. She wants to be able to live a normal life and be able to participate in regular activities but it increases her chances of getting found out so she has to keep up the facade. As the story progresses many in supporting cast may surprise the reader how they react when it comes down to taking a side. Not only the main cast but even the supporting caste gets noticeable and important character developments by the end, even though it's relatively a short story.

Another interesting part is that this manhwa actually passes the . Something you don't find in many of such stories. I didn't realize it while I was reading it but I really liked that Ma-Ri friendships were not dependent on the acceptance of the hero. She made other friends first and then she found a few more to stand by her side. They had other things to worry and talk about than "love" or romantic interests. Ja Min the hero is important but Ma-Ri's first friend in the new school is pivotal to her character development and story.

So yea it's another teen vampire love story but not just that. If you have a day or two free and want something light and romantic you should try it.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,404💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I used to read this manhwa too. I just need to remember what chapter I stopped. :sweat:. I didn't even bother watching the drama.

@Avani How about The Bride of the water God?

You probably stopped when it went on hiatus for a period and then translators stopped due to licensing issues. It was fully translated and available now :

The drama has changed story to quite an extent. The hero comes of as a jerk and leave one with the feeling that Mari should have dumped him an and marry Han Si Hoo who definitely gets much better story & characterisation in the drama.

I have no idea about the Bride of the water God.