Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
OPM has a plot and its themes are rather mature. It's just that you know not what you're speaking about.

Gag manga=/= plotless . In fact, there's no manga with no plot.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,801💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Anyone who who writes fiction either professionally or as a hobby knows a story needs plot, it is the foundation of the story and it is what drives and keeps the story appealing, secondary is Character and their development.etc, here is a brief summary of OPM

Here is the problem... There is NO plot to this story.. This dude does not have to struggle or work his way up, he has to do NOTHING, I cannot sympathize with a character like this and no one can, because we all have struggles and weakness, but Saitama. . One punch.. Thats it, Wtf . and being the strongest means no character development, the dude got bored and decided to find new opponents, good luck with that, good freaking luck, I am not watching or reading that series anymore.
I agree with what you say. OPM is indeed void of any kind real plot and character development. It indeed attracts quite a large group of annoying people who hype it above what it exactly is, however you are being too crude about this and you give the impression that this was accidental. That the mangaka simply fails at creating a decent plot and developing characters unintentionally, but that's not the case as he's doing that on purpose. This entire series is one huge parody and satire on the entire superhero genre, it's drenched in it and that's the exact point of this series. I've read the series twice by now. The 2nd time was already several months ago and the first a year or even years ago and I mainly amused myself by trying to recognize references to other series as well as to identify all the mockery that is done from popular characteristics of the superhero genre.

It's because the series is like that, it indeed deserves quite a bit of recognition simply because of its original concept. The downside of that is however that you get quickly tired of it and you can't repeat this concept. If someone would make a similar series, it would automatically be considered a rip-off. It's like a double edged sword. You can compare it to a popular new gadget; it gets instantly hyped because it's something you've never seen before, everyone buys it and at the beginning you are intrigued by its unfamiliarness, but when you're past that you get tired of it.

But yeah it has assembled quite an annoying fanbase. I've always disliked characters match-ups and that counts double for characters of different series. Every character exists within the context of its own story, which is bound by its own rules and laws and you can't just rip characters from it and pit them against each other. That's not much different from having two characters you made up completely yourself and pit them against one another. Because you made them yourself, you can freely decide the outcome. People fool themselves by thinking they somehow have some kind legitimacy by using 'real' characters. Now for people who like these fights, Saitama is of course their god as even in his own series there is no sensible context, rules or laws that defines him. As a result they can freely pit him against anyone or anything and say whatever they want without any kind of basis because he has none.

Last edited:

Ansatsuken

Supreme
Kin
4,798💸
Kumi
649💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I agree with what you say. OPM is indeed void of any kind real plot and character development. It indeed attracts quite a large group of annoying people who hype it above what it exactly is, however you are being too crude about this and you give the impression that this was accidental. That the mangaka simply fails at creating a decent plot and developing characters unintentionally, but that's not the case as he's doing that on purpose. This entire series is one huge parody and satire on the entire superhero genre, it's drenched in it and that's the exact point of this series. I've read the series twice by now. The 2nd time was already several months ago and the first a year or even years ago and I mainly amused myself by trying to recognize references to other series as well as to identify all the mockery that is done from popular characteristics of the superhero genre.

It's because the series is like that, it indeed deserves quite a bit of recognition simply because of its original concept. The downside of that is however that you get quickly tired of it and you can't repeat this concept. If someone would make a similar series, it would automatically be considered a rip-off. It's like a double edged sword. You can compare it to a popular new gadget; it gets instantly hyped because it's something you've never seen before, everyone buys it and at the beginning you are intrigued by its unfamiliarness, but when you're past that you get tired of it.

But yeah it has assembled quite an annoying fanbase. I've always disliked characters match-ups and that counts double for characters of different series. Every character exists within the context of its own story, which is bound by its own rules and laws and you can't just rip characters from it and pit them against each other. That's not much different from having two characters you made up completely yourself and pit them against one another. Because you made them yourself, you can freely decide the outcome. People fool themselves by thinking they somehow have some kind legitimacy by using 'real' characters. Now for people who like these fights, Saitama is of course their god as even in his own series there is no sensible context, rules or laws that defines him. As a result they can freely pit him against anyone or anything and say whatever they want without any kind of basis because he has none.
At bold.

Why not banned NDS VS section as it was a section for match-up and it quite annoying to me not just you?

Its like people know what they are debating/talking. I saw many flaws there in that kind of match-up they held but just let them be.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Good analysis but original concept? It's the same concept as The Tick but even further and chances are The Tick wasn't the first to do it either.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
OPM is Saturday Morning Cartoon fun

If you're not into that, the anime isn't for you

But it has very clear and obvious appeal

The people who take it seriously are indeed a problem though, I mean, have people seen the original webcomic

Christ

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,801💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Good analysis but original concept? It's the same concept as The Tick but even further and chances are The Tick wasn't the first to do it either.
The Tick is an old cartoon series from over two decades ago originating from America. You need to place things in perspective here. By now you can find predecessors of nearly everything somewhere in the world, but that doesn't mean they are connected. When you go and live in Japan, you will notice that the way how they perceive the whole manga/anime industry, will be completely different than how we perceive it right now. It's highly doubtful that most of the Japanse readers would even have any kind of knowledge about The Tick and they are still the primary target group of the industry, hence to most of them this is an original concept.

I watched The Tick when I was little, but the fact that I couldn't even remember it until you mentioned it, says enough. It's highly unlikely many people in Japan would think of that series because it's outside of their perspective. When I watched the Hunger Games for the first time, it immediately reminded me of the manga Battle Royale, but someone who is not or barely into manga/anime, which is still the majority of the Western world, really is not going to have knowledge about that manga and will consider the Hunger Games series to be original.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Tick is an old cartoon series from over two decades ago originating from America. You need to place things in perspective here. By now you can find predecessors of nearly everything somewhere in the world, but that doesn't mean they are connected. When you go and live in Japan, you will notice that the way how they perceive the whole manga/anime industry, will be completely different than how we perceive it right now. It's highly doubtful that most of the Japanse readers would even have any kind of knowledge about The Tick and they are still the primary target group of the industry, hence to most of them this is an original concept.

I watched The Tick when I was little, but the fact that I couldn't even remember it until you mentioned it, says enough. It's highly unlikely many people in Japan would think of that series because it's outside of their perspective. When I watched the Hunger Games for the first time, it immediately reminded me of the manga Battle Royale, but someone who is not or barely into manga/anime, which is still the majority of the Western world, really is not going to have knowledge about that manga and will consider the Hunger Games series to be original.
I don't disagree that the majority of a population opposite of the intended demographic may not be familiar with the product but that doesn't make it any more of an original concept just because they didn't know about the original. Hunger Games isn't an original concept because most of us didn't know about Battle Royale before we knew about Hunger games. Also you're confusing the general pop.'s knowledge of fictional entertainment with a creator's knowledge of fictional entertainment, I'm not saying it's 100% the author's heard of The Tick but there's a better chance he has since he's in the comic industry.

LBeezy

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

But yeah it has assembled quite an annoying fanbase.
You've read the series twice by now? The 2nd time being several months ago?

So does this mean that you're keeping up with the newest and current chapters that are being released?

I ask because the story actually does have a plot. For those people who say otherwise, well, Idk if they're truly reading it and paying attention or not..

The story also has tons of character development. (Most of the character development, is not with Saitama however, but other characters.)

Maybe You have gotten tired of One Punch Man, but I, and many others have not. In fact, I wish chapters were released weekly.

Currently, the direction the manga seems to be heading in, the story and plot can actually become really deep and interesting, (depending on how the author wants to handle things).. but since it's still on going and not finished yet, I don't think people can completely dismiss the manga for having "NO plot at all" when clearly, there is still plenty of room for a richer and thicker plot to grow. We just have to wait and see how it plays out at this point.

I've always disliked characters match-ups and that counts double for characters of different series. Every character exists within the context of its own story, which is bound by its own rules and laws and you can't just rip characters from it and pit them against each other. That's not much different from having two characters you made up completely yourself and pit them against one another. Because you made them yourself, you can freely decide the outcome. People fool themselves by thinking they somehow have some kind legitimacy by using 'real' characters. Now for people who like these fights, Saitama is of course their god as even in his own series there is no sensible context, rules or laws that defines him. As a result they can freely pit him against anyone or anything and say whatever they want without any kind of basis because he has none.
And as for this ^^^^ I couldn't agree more. I think you're absolutely 100% right about this. I feel the same way.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,398💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't disagree that the majority of a population opposite of the intended demographic may not be familiar with the product but that doesn't make it any more of an original concept just because they didn't know about the original. Hunger Games isn't an original concept because most of us didn't know about Battle Royale before we knew about Hunger games. Also you're confusing the general pop.'s knowledge of fictional entertainment with a creator's knowledge of fictional entertainment, I'm not saying it's 100% the author's heard of The Tick but there's a better chance he has since he's in the comic industry.
True..

The list goes on. Almost everything has already been tried but still the way someone handles the concept and tells a story can lend some originality/style.

Last edited: