0⚔️
Awards
You must be registered for see images
General Info:

Series Name: One Piece|Wan Pīsu

Year of Serialization: 1997

Author(s): Eiichiro Oda

Artist(s): Eiichiro Oda

Genre(s): Action|Adventure|Comedy|Drama|Fantasy|Martial Arts|Supernatural|Shounen

Current Status: Ongoing

Moment of Reviewing: 718

Other Formats: Anime​

Series Summary:

Gold Roger was known as the Pirate King, the strongest and most infamous being to have sailed the Grand Line. The capture and death of Roger by the World Government brought a change throughout the world. His last words before his death revealed the location of the greatest treasure in the world, One Piece. It was this revelation that brought about the Grand Age of Pirates, men who dreamed of finding One Piece (which promises an unlimited amount of riches and fame), and quite possibly the most coveted of titles for the person who found it, the title of the Pirate King.

Enter Monkey D. Luffy, a 17-year-old boy who defies the standard definition of a pirate. Rather than the popular persona of a wicked, hardened, toothless pirate who ransacks villages for fun, Luffy’s reason for being a pirate is one of pure wonder; the thought of an exciting adventure and meeting new and intriguing people, along with finding One Piece. Following in the footsteps of his childhood hero, Luffy and his crew travel across the Grand Line, experiencing crazy adventures, unveiling dark mysteries and battling strong enemies, all in order to reach One Piece.​

Critical Review:

In One Piece, you can never underestimate a character, an event or their purpose to the overall story and plot. It's one of Oda's specialties; his ability to foreshadow small seemingly insignificant thing or character can become a trigger or be connected to something alot bigger. These things are easy to miss and you need to pay attention to them so you can refer back to it at a later time, even if that is 100+ chapters later which is amazing how Oda can bring something from more than 100 chapters back into the story. Having watched and read the series, I can say with confidence; Nothing that happens in One Piece is unimportant to the overall plot. That was the foreshadowing part, now let's talk about the world setting.

The world of One Piece consists of 4 seas and one large sea called the Grandline. It's not only massive but the crazy weather in the Grandline, the exciting and bizarre islands, the different and unique sea currents all make up what is to be a great adventure. Their planet has not 1 but 6 moons orbiting around it which opens the door to give the story almost infinite potential, infact it's because the world of One Piece is so vast that I don't believe Oda can truly explore everything in the story even if the manga is only half-ways with 10-15 years left. Even Luffy and his pirate-crew have only traveled through Grandline but haven't explored nearly as many islands as there actually is which is understandable.

This brings us to the characters, obviously the world setting serves to give the viewers a sense of adventure and excitement. However, this wouldn't be as interesting without having the unique set of characters only seen in One Piece. Every character has something about them that adds to the story whether it's their design, personality or even their laugh. Most One Piece characters have a distinctive laugh which sometimes defines their character. Everyone in Luffy's crew; The Strawhat Pirates unlike other pirates joined all for their own reasons and each one have their own dream that they hope to achieve. While every person on Luffy's crew have their own job in the ship, they're all capable fighters and there is no one in the crew who doesn't contribute in some way shape or form. The relationship between crew members even if it don't appear to be on the surface is very harmonic.

Now let's get into the comedy. If nothing else, you should view the series for its great comedic relief. There is no fictional series that has made me laugh as hard as I have from One Piece comedy. It comes at a right time and is so creative while at the same time unexpected. It really helps give One Piece the kinda perspective the author wants you to have and it doesn't make the mistake of doing comedy out of a serious moment or fighting scene which is a bad comedy that takes you out of the fight.

That brings me to the last thing which is one of the things that make the series as great as it is. BADASS moments! There are times in the series when a character gets pissed off, they sometimes have a form of pride and honor, a moral code broken by someone else or their friends are getting beaten, for whatever reason. In this moment they need to step up and show the other person who they're messing with. This is when shit gets real, quickly. These moments either end in the person responsible beaten within an inch of their life, ko'ed, sliced, burned, or sometimes they beat the other person through pure intimidation before ending the scene with a quote that ends it all. Sometimes they don't even need to speak but One Piece has those moments where simply put epic shit happens, one thing leads to another where epicness gets condensed in a small scene. So I will wrap this up.

In One Piece you should realize that the main cast are pirates so unlike your typical shonen. They're not heroes and they're not supposed to be the good guys, keep that in mind when viewing the series, there are too many grey areas to actually call anything good or bad. It's hard to define anything in One Piece as that. It challenges your morals of a situation, what is good or bad is up for your interpretation and with that I'll end this review here.​
You must be registered for see images
- Reviewed by Yubel

Sydd

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You didn't really mention that Oda could make you cry in a matter of one chapter page.

Last edited:

silmarill

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice review , but I dont agree about last part, if u want it or not but Luffy and Co are infact heroes, they help people all the time and they are not bad at all.

+++

~Yubel~

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You made this? :O well done!
I did and thanks.xD
hey now, we all know how great this series is, there is no need for a review my dear yubei,
nonetheless good job
Believe it or not, alot of people on here don't watch One Piece, don't mistake the OP section for the site and thanks.
Nice work brah.
Thanks.xD
Nice bio if thats what it is...
I don't RP.
You didn't really mention that Oda could make you cry in a matter of one chapter page.
I had more things I wanted to say but couldn't without spoiling or didn't have time to or didn't think was really necessary
The whole review got deleted last night, I got rly pissed and I had to remake the whole thing, took me about 3 hours.
Smh, read the sub forum name...

OT: Nice, detailed review.
Thanks.xD
Nice review , but I dont agree about last part, if u want it or not but Luffy and Co are infact heroes, they help people all the time and they are not bad at all.

+++
The strawhats are pirates, there is such a thing as a thiefs with a conscience, also they have just happen to be in the right most of the time or get involved in other peoples problems, not really because they go there and want to help themselves. They just happen to be in the right all the time. Also they say themselves, they're not heroes and don't want to be.

great work bro :T_T:

one piece is the best out there :T_T:
I agree and thanks man.xD

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Ah, I was waiting for someone to do a review one of the big three. I was considering myself to review Bleach or One Piece (pretty pointless to review Naruto), but no reason now to review OP any time soon.

But yeah I don't really agree either with your last statement about heroes. Within the context of manga pirates are considered 'evil' and the Strawhats refuse to a comical degree to ever be called heroes, still in the end they are all good guys, which doesn't make them much different from other shonen characters. I mean you make it appear like that shonen manga are always centered around some kind of superman-type character with high moral standards that is the archetypical definition of a 'hero'.

Good review, however it's only the tip of the iceberg. For OP you can easily write 4 times more than just that and still only scratch the surface of this epic and my #1 manga :cool:

hey now, we all know how great this series is, there is no need for a review my dear yubei,
nonetheless good job
There are lots of Naruto fans on NB that have no idea what OP is about, so it's a good idea to review it to convert them >.>