2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

"Shimotsuki Kozaburo"

One Piece Manga Chapter 1033 Discussion and 1034 Predictions

Discuss One Piece Manga 1033 here and predict the next chapter, One Piece Manga 1034

BEGIN READING ONE PIECE NOW!!

Please remember to rate this week's chapter!
1 is worst, 5 is best.

Love Cook

Elite
Kin
707💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sick !

Was kinda waiting for Hitetsu to show back up. Nice to follow the breadcrumb trail back to Zoro's village.

King is from the moon, and Sanji rightfully asking, if they're basically gods what happened to them ?

Was hoping for a slash for the final panel, but I guess we need to wait a while now.

Kaidou's men just dropping from the haki pouring out of Zoro without control is cool. Reminds me of the pressure that Kenpachi unleashes in Bleach.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This chapter called Shimotsuki Village Zoro's home village but wasn't it said he had traveled challenging dojo's until reaching Shimotsuki and losing to Kuina which made him stay there?

Or am I making things up again like that memory of how Blackbeard injured Shanks by popping out of the water behind him when Shanks was in a row boat fighting between the two main ships?

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This chapter called Shimotsuki Village Zoro's home village but wasn't it said he had traveled challenging dojo's until reaching Shimotsuki and losing to Kuina which made him stay there?

Or am I making things up again like that memory of how Blackbeard injured Shanks by popping out of the water behind him when Shanks was in a row boat fighting between the two main ships?
manga pace is very slow...at tis rate menga wil end in 2080..

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Nothing of the sort occurred in the manga, but I believe in the anime Zoro's flashback started with him looking down on the village and then challenged the dojo. Even though it gave the impression Zoro just arrived there, I don't think it was specifically said he was not from the village nor that he had challenged other dojo. If I recall correctly I think he didn't even had any kind of weapon and just grabbed one of the dojo's shinai. Though, it has been years since I saw that episode.

Reactions: Bhil

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nothing of the sort occurred in the manga, but I believe in the anime Zoro's flashback started with him looking down on the village and then challenged the dojo. Even though it gave the impression Zoro just arrived there, I don't think it was specifically said he was not from the village nor that he had challenged other dojo. If I recall correctly I think he didn't even had any kind of weapon and just grabbed one of the dojo's shinai. Though, it has been years since I saw that episode.
Man I hate that happening lol.
But then I wonder who his parents are because they were never shown or mentioned. Are they people that came over 50 years ago? Descendants of people 50 years ago? A wano person married a neighboring village person?

People mention he may be related to Ryuma but Ryuma was a Shimotsuki and so was Koushiro so he should know if Zoro is a relative plus that would make Zoro and Kuina related which never seemed to be an implication.

Edit** I found it. It was added scenes in episode 19 from chapters 5 and 42. Zoro says he's unrivaled in the village over so it made me assume he had been hopping from village to village.
Chapter 5 only shows after the 2001st loss not the stuff before. Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought with that Teach scene but still haven't found it yet.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Man I hate that happening lol.
But then I wonder who his parents are because they were never shown or mentioned. Are they people that came over 50 years ago? Descendants of people 50 years ago? A wano person married a neighboring village person?

People mention he may be related to Ryuma but Ryuma was a Shimotsuki and so was Koushiro so he should know if Zoro is a relative plus that would make Zoro and Kuina related which never seemed to be an implication.

Edit** I found it. It was added scenes in episode 19 from chapters 5 and 42. Zoro says he's unrivaled in the village over so it made me assume he had been hopping from village to village.
Chapter 5 only shows after the 2001st loss not the stuff before. Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought with that Teach scene but still haven't found it yet.
Oda gave a while ago some background information in a SBS segment. Kozaburo was not alone when he left Wano and eventually his group ended up in East Blue where they saved the local populace from a band of bandits. They assimilated with the locals and founded Shimotsuki Village. This is also indirectly confirmed this chapter by the children who say that the village was founded by 'pirates' two generations ago.

Though, it's indeed a bit of a plot hole how Zoro fits in all of this. Most likely a lot of villagers can trace their lineage back to Wano, but it's odd that it has been emphasized so strongly that Zoro looks like a Shimotsuki, yet he has been completely omitted from Kozaburo's line of descendants. I hope Oda will address this at some point, but it's one of those things I can see being left in the open (at least for now).

I mean most likely the majority of the people who left with Kozaburo, were from Ringo and/or his kinsmen, friends, subordinates etc. I don't find it a stretch to think that there was another notable Shimotsuki among them.

With all the focus on Enma and the crash course on Swords 1.1 you might forget that that there was another interesting tidbit mentioned in this chapter:

Why were the marines chasing them? And why did they left Wano in the first place for that matter?

I find it hard to believe that they left Wano just to found a village on the other side of the world. There was a purpose for their journey and along the way it seems they had a showdown with the Marines. This is complete conjecture on my part, but my favorite scenario is that Zoro's hypothetical grandfather was also a Shimotsuki and part of Kozaburo's group, but that he lost his life during a fight with the Marines and they had to flee and abandon their objective.

This ties together with how so many swords from Wano spread across the world: they came along with Kozaburo's group. If most people from the group came from Ringo, they definitely had a sword as it was customary to give each person a sword starting from the day they were born. And in particular the Kitetsu line is interesting as these were all made by Hitetsu. How exactly did Sandai Kitetsu end up in East Blue? I've been saying for years that one of those Five Elders has Shodai Kitetsu in its possession. Imagine that it originally belonged to Zoro's hypothetical grandfather and then lost in a battle. Then you get a parallel with Zoro wielding the "3rd generation Kitetsu" while his grandfather wielded the "1st generation Kitetsu". Though, again this is all complete conjecture from my part.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oda gave a while ago some background information in a SBS segment. Kozaburo was not alone when he left Wano and eventually his group ended up in East Blue where they saved the local populace from a band of bandits. They assimilated with the locals and founded Shimotsuki Village. This is also indirectly confirmed this chapter by the children who say that the village was founded by 'pirates' two generations ago.

Though, it's indeed a bit of a plot hole how Zoro fits in all of this. Most likely a lot of villagers can trace their lineage back to Wano, but it's odd that it has been emphasized so strongly that Zoro looks like a Shimotsuki, yet he has been completely omitted from Kozaburo's line of descendants. I hope Oda will address this at some point, but it's one of those things I can see being left in the open (at least for now).

I mean most likely the majority of the people who left with Kozaburo, were from Ringo and/or his kinsmen, friends, subordinates etc. I don't find it a stretch to think that there was another notable Shimotsuki among them.

With all the focus on Enma and the crash course on Swords 1.1 you might forget that that there was another interesting tidbit mentioned in this chapter:

Why were the marines chasing them? And why did they left Wano in the first place for that matter?

I find it hard to believe that they left Wano just to found a village on the other side of the world. There was a purpose for their journey and along the way it seems they had a showdown with the Marines. This is complete conjecture on my part, but my favorite scenario is that Zoro's hypothetical grandfather was also a Shimotsuki and part of Kozaburo's group, but that he lost his life during a fight with the Marines and they had to flee and abandon their objective.

This ties together with how so many swords from Wano spread across the world: they came along with Kozaburo's group. If most people from the group came from Ringo, they definitely had a sword as it was customary to give each person a sword starting from the day they were born. And in particular the Kitetsu line is interesting as these were all made by Hitetsu. How exactly did Sandai Kitetsu end up in East Blue? I've been saying for years that one of those Five Elders has Shodai Kitetsu in its possession. Imagine that it originally belonged to Zoro's hypothetical grandfather and then lost in a battle. Then you get a parallel with Zoro wielding the "3rd generation Kitetsu" while his grandfather wielded the "1st generation Kitetsu". Though, again this is all complete conjecture from my part.
I agree with you there's a good chance other Shimotsuki family members came over with Kazuboro especially since we know Yasuie was a member of that family who stayed in Wano so it's not like Kazu/Koushiro/Kuina are the only members of that family line.

My hangup is the picture being painted Zoro is also Shimotsuki. It just seems weird that if he's Koushiro's nephew that it was never mentioned.

Him being the son of another Wano samurai, perfect sense. Him being the son of 2 of the people already living there when they showed up, perfect sense. Son of a samurai who married a villager, perfect sense. The Shimotsuki angle feels like info was purposefully left out for the reveal later or is trying to tie back to info that's not necessarily contradictory but also not very clear either.

You could say maybe Koushiro didn't know but idk, even if he didn't directly know one of his brothers or cousins or whatever had a kid you think he'd recognize Zoro's appearance being similar to Ushimaru or Ryuma especially since we're hearing people recognize that appearance in Wano.

WhistleBlower

Supreme
Kin
4,460💸
Kumi
1,041💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Kuina cameo, therefore a cute cover with Tashigi. The Zoro flashback adds some nice character depth and lore on cursed blades. A shame it was spoiled in an SBS. Neat that kid Zoro's first three swords were from Kouzaburou, Wado has the same face making it feel like Zoro is carrying around a savage old man who knows his only purpose is to kill. Kouzaburou could have probably spoiled Zoro's connection to Wano back then, but he makes an important point that talking openly about Samurai could bring Marines to the island and that would ruin kid Zoro and everyone's lives. We wait for Onimaru to yap.

Call me Mr. 1. I noted last chapter the direction Zoro Vs King was heading, but the parallels have becoming overwhelming now. 1) King is not a swordsman but a versatile murder machine, 2) an extended one-sided thrashing of Zoro, 3) King eating attacks to show Zoro how useless his blades are, 4) A mid-battle flashback to East Blue, 5) Zoro awakening new haki. If this a true homage to the Daz Bones fight, there is one missing callback:

You must be registered for see images

King affirmed last chapter that his ability to take damage is special even compared to the mighty Zoans of this arc. Is he really regenerating by flame when Oda doesn't draw the open wounds? Or is he using heat control + the pressure of a tight rubber suit + his unique body to alter material properties, resulting in explosions, a stretchy Tempura Udon (pronounced TEM-PRAU-DON = Pteranodon), and diamond-like skin? Zoro could cut diamond without wasting treasure. Regeneration or diamond, it's very odd that the suit itself remains unharmed apart from the one mysterious offpanel attack.

The future king of the swordsmen stands on top in the land of the blades. Some touching flashbacks to the trials Zoro faced obtaining his other swords, only to be met with Enma's challenge this chapter. Enma's ruthless personality drains as much haki as it takes to cut the obstacle in its path, a good explanation for Zoro's performance on the roof. Whether Zoro is aware he's coating with CoC or not, the deadly combination of Enma drawing out his latent ability + Zoro giving Enma all it can take has resulted in flaming G4 clouds surely indicating Zoro's overdoing it and on short notice. To step up, conquer Enma and CoC or die trying. Exactly the challenge a king welcomes. Zoro renews his vow to Luffy and Kuina to become the WSS and the battle moves on its final phase.

Awesome chapter and much needed character focus for Zoro. I am really loving how much the Zoro and Sanji fights have delivered, amping the difficulty level with specially tailored opponents and acting as a foil for their characters. The parallel between their Wano power ups — Sanji rejecting the RS and Zoro facing a trial to keep Enma, both working as a medium to unlock special abilities inside them — has been brilliant. The idea of a combined finishing chapter to showcase the Wings of the Pirate King is looking like a simple matter of when.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with you there's a good chance other Shimotsuki family members came over with Kazuboro especially since we know Yasuie was a member of that family who stayed in Wano so it's not like Kazu/Koushiro/Kuina are the only members of that family line.

My hangup is the picture being painted Zoro is also Shimotsuki. It just seems weird that if he's Koushiro's nephew that it was never mentioned.

Him being the son of another Wano samurai, perfect sense. Him being the son of 2 of the people already living there when they showed up, perfect sense. Son of a samurai who married a villager, perfect sense. The Shimotsuki angle feels like info was purposefully left out for the reveal later or is trying to tie back to info that's not necessarily contradictory but also not very clear either.

You could say maybe Koushiro didn't know but idk, even if he didn't directly know one of his brothers or cousins or whatever had a kid you think he'd recognize Zoro's appearance being similar to Ushimaru or Ryuma especially since we're hearing people recognize that appearance in Wano.
Well, the problem is also that most likely Oda didn't think about this background when he started the series. Similar case for Sanji for that matter during the WCI arc. He had to tie the original background with the new additions without breaking the continuity of the series.

Kuina and Zoro never acted liked they were cousins, which would have been the most logical relationship. It would have been weird that they were always portrayed as rivals/friends, but their initial nature was that of close family. Additionally, Kozaburo clearly kept a low-profile as he didn't want to be outed as a samurai (and that the village was founded by 'pirates' instead of samurai). To me this feels like he exactly knew Zoro's heritage and why the took an interest in him, but didn't feel the need to bother him with a legacy that could possibly work like shackles. Koushirou might have known something, but I doubt Kuina did. I imagine that Yasuie might have known/suspected something as despite his aloof nature, he was rather sharp.

I'm not entirely sure about the chronology, but if I recall correctly Oden's initial flashback was from 40 years ago, while Kozaburo left 50 years ago. So, there's definitely an overlap here. It can even be reasoned that Oden's obsession to leave was partially inspired by Kozaburo's group and that counts double for Yasuie.

Sakazuki

Regular
Kin
1,505💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Lmfao u crack me up with these memories of stuff that never happened lmao I'm dying 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.