[Suggestion] New ways to revive this place

Vitis

Kin
674💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Delegate to whom? I've said many times if anyon e want to create something that clearly the community wants or need they can do so
Aesthetics components can always be crowd sourced usually all people need is the go ahead , dimensions and theme to run with it.

Community members can always try to organize their thoughts on events, but in the end there'd really need to be an event coordinator to run them. Member ran events are all fine and well, but they wouldn't be able to keep a database like staff members should an event gain traction nor give out prizes, people tend to like shiny things after all so if an event becomes popular prizes may encourage lasting participation which a member wouldn't be able to do though gauging interest IMO should be a priority before assigning any manpower to such endeavors or it'd just end up in dead events like the Biography of the Month or Photography of the Month which seem to haven't ran for awhile.

As for moderation there's quite a few RP mods and a lot of them still seem to be active, asking them to peek in on other sections as well wouldn't leave things virtually lawless in the other sections and wouldn't really require additional staff.
-
Just an aside maybe amend the necroposting rule to accommodate the reduced activity. Some year old threads on the front page new members might add to it so adjusting it to simply require adding to the thread when reviving it instead of a hard and fast time frame before it's considered dead might revitalize some content or at least make it look more active. I noticed there are several year old stickies in the GFX shop section started by members that have left years ago, with the general request thread specific shops probably don't need to be stickied and when they're old and it's the first thing on a page people see it gives that quick impression that the section is dead. (Kamishiro checked in but posted on his profile that he wasn't coming back and all so it can be assumed that he's essentially gone like Lawliet)

Zise

Veteran
Kin
515💸
Kumi
9,619💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Aesthetics components can always be crowd sourced usually all people need is the go ahead , dimensions and theme to run with it.

Community members can always try to organize their thoughts on events, but in the end there'd really need to be an event coordinator to run them. Member ran events are all fine and well, but they wouldn't be able to keep a database like staff members should an event gain traction nor give out prizes, people tend to like shiny things after all so if an event becomes popular prizes may encourage lasting participation which a member wouldn't be able to do though gauging interest IMO should be a priority before assigning any manpower to such endeavors or it'd just end up in dead events like the Biography of the Month or Photography of the Month which seem to haven't ran for awhile.

As for moderation there's quite a few RP mods and a lot of them still seem to be active, asking them to peek in on other sections as well wouldn't leave things virtually lawless in the other sections and wouldn't really require additional staff.
-
Just an aside maybe amend the necroposting rule to accommodate the reduced activity. Some year old threads on the front page new members might add to it so adjusting it to simply require adding to the thread when reviving it instead of a hard and fast time frame before it's considered dead might revitalize some content or at least make it look more active. I noticed there are several year old stickies in the GFX shop section started by members that have left years ago, with the general request thread specific shops probably don't need to be stickied and when they're old and it's the first thing on a page people see it gives that quick impression that the section is dead. (Kamishiro checked in but posted on his profile that he wasn't coming back and all so it can be assumed that he's essentially gone like Lawliet)
Well they do have the go ahead already just like I've said, if someone creates something that the community wants we would help to implement it as long as it is lawful and follow our rules and guidelines.

Every time a member has taken the initiative to create some kind of contest or event we've helped out as well, but just like for us it takes a lot of effort to run certain events or contests and such... and people simply don't want to or have the time to organize such things. But once again, anyone that wants to do something like it can just drop their ideas in PM to me and I will help to the best of my ability.

We have taken a much more liberal stance on posting since the switch to AB and most of the time we let things like reviving old threads or other small rule breaking things pass, while we won't encourage such behavior. The general consensus in the past was that we were too strict with the rules, but even this change appeared to have a negative effect to some degree as people consider the forum less clean and give remarks on that too.

"Necroposting" as you call it while it can be seen as something that could revive and vitalize the forum, it more than likely have the opposite effect which will push down new threads before they have a chance, while the dead thread at the same time won't get new responses. If it's needed to revive a topic, just make it a 2.0 as of course things can change by time and certain topics or discussions will have another outcome 10 years later.

Vitis

Kin
674💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Every time a member has taken the initiative to create some kind of contest or event we've helped out as well, but just like for us it takes a lot of effort to run certain events or contests and such... and people simply don't want to or have the time to organize such things. But once again, anyone that wants to do something like it can just drop their ideas in PM to me and I will help to the best of my ability.

We have taken a much more liberal stance on posting since the switch to AB and most of the time we let things like reviving old threads or other small rule breaking things pass, while we won't encourage such behavior. The general consensus in the past was that we were too strict with the rules, but even this change appeared to have a negative effect to some degree as people consider the forum less clean and give remarks on that too.

"Necroposting" as you call it while it can be seen as something that could revive and vitalize the forum, it more than likely have the opposite effect which will push down new threads before they have a chance, while the dead thread at the same time won't get new responses. If it's needed to revive a topic, just make it a 2.0 as of course things can change by time and certain topics or discussions will have another outcome 10 years later.
Yeah it does take a lot to run things which is why I'd suggest an event coordinator rather than using a full fledged staff member least of all an admin.

Too strict or too lenient both have flaws, but hard to find the balance between the two. Usually it's a single member that derails it and others follow their lead and considering people will know of whom I refer without mentioning his name he's likely the root of the issue.

Thus why I'd propose that in order to revive a thread contribution must be added instead of ceaseless 'bumping'. There are certain topics that really wouldn't make sense to make a version 2 an a hard and fast line on simply making a new thread once it 'dead' can lead to creating multiple topics. For instance if something is still being updated and is infrequently so between updates a thread theoretically could pass the 1-month mark in the current rule set and there'd be new material to touch on and thus a new thread would be created, there are after all several threads that are more than a few months old on the front page in each section and so there could be several of the same thread on the front page each that could get periodic discussion on a monthly basis before going fallow.

Reactions: Hunty

Shimazaki

Kin
84💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A event Manager is definitly a good idea, after some thoughts i came up with this:

1. Creating a Own subforum for events Only ( that way its easy to see whenever a new event start or finishes, one wevent get one submission thread, one Voting thread and one Final results thread, eatch get closed after a certain deadline. So eacht Thread will be opened after the other is closed and veryone can see in with stage the event is withouht actually opening it. Also if possible to make it that no one can open new threads in that subforum exccept mods and event manager. )

2. A award is given to the winner and or participants, that award could be given to the people only through event mangaer and staff and will be displayed at the profile page. ( its a quick edit of mine its nothin to fancy but it could look like this:
You must be registered to see images

Would be aweasom if clicked on the wared badge a image of the winning Avatar in this case would be pop up.

While most attention goes to roleplay here in think it might be a good idea making a tap for all awards as default and then one could select if he or she only want to see the awards for lets say signature awards Roleplay awards etc.

Sadly i dont have any coding skills so i can only give ideas and hope its somethin people might be interested in, also im not experienced with signature and all the other GFX stuff around here the only thing i can offer are Vector Styled Wallpaper with i make.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,398💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Im not active enought to know for sure but it sounds like there is a lack of staff, same goes for all the spamming witch isnt dealt with so instead of assuming the staff dont care isnt it right to assume that there isnt simply enough staff in the first place?
It's never "right" to just assume anything. There is enough staff to deal with number of reports we get.

Oh, random thought

I would love a poll of the week. Something anime related or whatever. An admin can post a new poll and lock the discussions in it and users can vote in it every week until the next one. It could be something like "which anime is your favorite" to "which of these event ideas on animebase do you like the most" etc etc
I wanted to put something like that up for a while and discussed it with Zise quite a few times, when we switched to AB. But we were planning on doing it in more fancy way that would require a lot more time which Versuvio didn't have.

We can still hold it as a normal thread. The way polls work at the moment you cannot vote in a poll, if the thread is closed for discussion, so it won't be closed. If you have some ideas on how to go about it or wish to help in putting them up send me a PM or make a thread.

1. Creating a Own subforum for events Only ( that way its easy to see whenever a new event start or finishes, one wevent get one submission thread, one Voting thread and one Final results thread,
The events you are suggesting are some type of contest. There is separate board for contests. Some are regular contests, other events of that kind also get posted there only. There is a subforum for user created contests in it too.
@ everyone: Feel free to post your contest idea and how to execute it and. PM me or Zise about structure and possible awards and we can come up with something.

Last edited:

Rej

Veteran
Kin
2,789💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
About the mafia section, it was never popular enough to be a main section or a forum on its own according to stats it was mostly the same people visiting the game. So I do understand that it would be a convinience for some but for the entirety of the site I believe it's better suited where it is. But I'll look into that as stats change over time.
Hello Zise, I respect your points and I think this site is fine as it is, besides the mobile/advertising aspect, but I can understand if this is not into debate for income reasons.

So my main argument is that me and several people actually managed to populate the mafia section this year. First of all the section had it's anniversary, secondly we rised the playerbase from around 10-13 players towards 16-20+ players.

As a mafia forum mod myself, there is literally no better forum activity across the world besides forum mafia. This site also participated in the championships, and @Michelle is still representing this forum in the championships.

What mafia is doing for this forum is already the solution, we brought new members into this place and they stay as guests and participate in other events that keep the community healthy and stable, because all we need is stability on a forum, especially if the forum is older.

Zise, feel free to reevaluate what I said. And I think everything is fine about this forum, but granting an own section does not have any drawback also not for the admins ideology. It makes the forum and the community healthy and both players aswell as consumers for events and discussion do benefit from it.

Anyway kudos! Admin replying on this thread is something we always like to see!

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello Zise, I respect your points and I think this site is fine as it is, besides the mobile/advertising aspect, but I can understand if this is not into debate for income reasons.

So my main argument is that me and several people actually managed to populate the mafia section this year. First of all the section had it's anniversary, secondly we rised the playerbase from around 10-13 players towards 16-20+ players.

As a mafia forum mod myself, there is literally no better forum activity across the world besides forum mafia. This site also participated in the championships, and @Michelle is still representing this forum in the championships.

What mafia is doing for this forum is already the solution, we brought new members into this place and they stay as guests and participate in other events that keep the community healthy and stable, because all we need is stability on a forum, especially if the forum is older.

Zise, feel free to reevaluate what I said. And I think everything is fine about this forum, but granting an own section does not have any drawback also not for the admins ideology. It makes the forum and the community healthy and both players aswell as consumers for events and discussion do benefit from it.

this forom follows mangas..if boroto or naruto mangas shines again...this place will automatically shine again..

Zatanna

Elite
Kin
4,926💸
Kumi
18,043💴
Trait Points
40⚔️

This man just ignoring the RP section lmao.

Edit: I wont just leave this with a toxic comment.
I think a lot of users on tbis site severely underestimate how populated and busy busy the RP section is. I dont think they look into it and see how often the posts are in it. Training threads, battle threads, Ninja world and thats just the Naruto RP section.
Untul you look at the whole website, its unfair to say which section is best or most active.
Though I would like to see which section has the most active premium members :^)

Shanks

Elite
Kin
2,712💸
Kumi
974💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Rej been there , the guy clearly no longer cares about this place . He thinks this is hobby project (dont get why he has premium option ) , fair enough i think the sites like the one larsi created makes effort for open critical opinion . Zise clearly doesnt think like that it s like if you dont like it leave this place leave , thats why most didnt bother coming back .
Post automatically merged:

I think a lot of users on tbis site severely underestimate how populated and busy busy the RP section is. I dont think they look into it and see how often the posts are in it. Training threads, battle threads, Ninja world and thats just the Naruto RP section.
Untul you look at the whole website, its unfair to say which section is best or most active.
Though I would like to see which section has the most active premium members :^)
^ Thread enough said . Honestly , I dont even bother asking from hereon , i am done dude i certainly hope RP section create their own forum given admins here dont even respect the efforts RP members work around here considering he think this place is hobby stuff .

Reactions: Hunty and Rej

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,027💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Yeah the RP Section is very active. This is why when I used to make suggestions on the revival of AB I suggested making the RP the main focus of the site by putting it at the top.

Zatanna

Elite
Kin
4,926💸
Kumi
18,043💴
Trait Points
40⚔️
People that complain about the site not being active enough or the Admins are letting the place die or arent doing enough seem to be missing the fact that, this is a free service.

You dont have to pay for premium, you dont have to pay for it to exist, it already does. Premium members dont get any other extra benefit than a regular member does except a few cosmetic items. As they said this is a hobby project for them, its not as if they are making this their main source of income. If you dont like the way they run the website they own, they create and offer for free, then find either give some constructive criticism or suggestions youd like which they can consider, or just dont use it if youre that unhappy with it.

Plenty of other, a majority like what they have.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
People that complain about the site not being active enough or the Admins are letting the place die or arent doing enough seem to be missing the fact that, this is a free service.

You dont have to pay for premium, you dont have to pay for it to exist, it already does. Premium members dont get any other extra benefit than a regular member does except a few cosmetic items. As they said this is a hobby project for them, its not as if they are making this their main source of income. If you dont like the way they run the website they own, they create and offer for free, then find either give some constructive criticism or suggestions youd like which they can consider, or just dont use it if youre that unhappy with it.

Plenty of other, a majority like what they have.
is tis lara craft in ur sig????..

Michelle

Legendary
Kin
9,012💸
Kumi
3,787💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I always loved this forum, i think i said this many times. I guess mainly for the calm vibe of it and the feeling of safety. I think these things are important on internet nowadays and are not so easy to achieve.

I am not so picky about where a certain thing is inside the forum, when i wanted to go into the RP section i agree it was more complicated than i expected but regular RPers were fine with that part and after a while i got used with it myself.
Things improved lately from what i know.

A separate section for mafia is there in forum games, as subforum, for now.
Is useful to click to watch the subforum if you are interested and normally you will receive alerts.
To easier find it if you post just there you go to your ava on top, click on it and click 'your content'. All your posts are there to choose where you need to go. You can bookmark and the order of bookmarks is the order you picked the posts to bookmark them.
The bookmarks are in the same place (top ava menu) on top. The only problem is you cannot search in bookmarks but at least you are looking in a smaller part than a full mafia game thread.

A cool thing would be nested quotes but idk if we can keep around four quotes to not loose the meaning while playing, i think is a problem of volume of data gathered in a thread.
At least one more would be enough to see the starting post, the answer, and one answering back.

If i would need another thing for mafia section that would be an automated vote count feature, but as long as i am unable to create it myself i can't insist for it. Doing things manually is not so hard in a small game, the only inconvenient is the host error possibility but that too is a part of the game, luck/unluck is important in mafia.

The text editor i think is specific for xenforo, i lost myself few posts because of it. The advantage of it is the autosave, the always adding of a quote in the editor box when you press reply and the possibility to frame a big post by making smaller quotes, wich is easy to insert in your answer. Also if you press preview you save it and can change devices without stress, the forum preserves it for 24 hours.
The disadvantage is, when you try to say anything else while you make a huge post, you just can't without cut-pasting your current work elsewhere and answer at new posts you see posted. The self refreshing part is also useful.
@Toujo i think i had this problem in all Xenforo places where i played.

About contests if anyone has a good idea for them i think is easy to make any kind of cotenst after the eg of the late writing contest, who reborn again by the effort of ThePervySage.

Rej

Veteran
Kin
2,789💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I "ignore" the RP section because I don't play RP and it seems to work for this site, I heard no complains about anything. I just think it all equally belongs to the topic forum activity. I am sorry I cant speak for the RP section, but I hope the best for you guys.

• Wow
Reactions: Hunty and minamoto

kujaku

Kin
2,928💸
Kumi
352💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
People keep complaining about events/contests, but there is a few number of users participating in the existing ones. Did any contest, this year, have more than 5 entries? You guys know that this is a collective effort, right? Participate in the already existing contests, if these work I'm guessing it would be a whole more motivating to host new events. It's pointless and a waste of time to organise something new when the odds are to it going nowhere.

(If I'm not wrong, the photography contest didn't have any submission last times, the creative writing contest didn't get a lot of submissions and definitely didn't get a lot of votes. The only event atm is the GFX contest and that one is barely going, so what justifies a new one?)

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
People keep complaining about events/contests, but there is a few number of users participating in the existing ones. Did any contest, this year, have more than 5 entries? You guys know that this is a collective effort, right? Participate in the already existing contests, if these work I'm guessing it would be a whole more motivating to host new events. It's pointless and a waste of time to organise something new when the odds are to it going nowhere.

(If I'm not wrong, the photography contest didn't have any submission last times, the creative writing contest didn't get a lot of submissions and definitely didn't get a lot of votes. The only event atm is the GFX contest and that one is barely going, so what justifies a new one?)
hi jukaku :)...

wow jukaku u have good qualities for become mod...u wana be one????...

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't think the forum being slow has much to do with the site itself. AB's issue is that it's a forum with few active users. Whatever caused the problem was long ago, and changing the site isn't the solution. Forums aren't joined primarily for their features. The very first things people look at are how many pages the discussions generate and how much content they can find(so accessibility & visibility ARE notable concerns. E.g. mobile support & improved section placement). Everything else comes second. The site could offer all the features in the world next year and it'd still be slow just because it's slow. It's like trying to sell an empty book by improving the texture of its covers and pages; There's still no content.

2020 is almost over and how many active 2020 members have you seen? The site isn't growing. It's just riding on the coattails of dedicated members. The most that additional features will do is retain members. Probably not even because of the features themselves, but the effort put into them. I'm not trying to say "thus it's worthless to add features," but that expanding is probably in your hands more so than any moderation changes or minor tweaks.
Imo, the only way AB grows is through either RP or unique content. The whole reason NB shifted to AB was so that it could cover more content, but look at what that amounted to. The additional sections just became empty chapters. Same would happen with additional events and, by extension, badges.

Only real option is to invest into RP, Mafia, and/or introduce additional sections along the lines of them. Part of the reason those sections are still alive is because half of the joy in those games involves you creating content. Taking inspiration from that, my suggestion would probably be a monthly project. I remember there was this forum game where we'd each write 3(?) words to build a story. What I have in mind is more like crafting a world over the course of a month that works similarly.
Each month has 4 weeks, and each of those 4 weeks expand on a specific part of the world. Like fanfic, but without all the effort.

Week 1: Checkup on the character & his(or her) current thoughts. Done through a description and/or art.
Week 2: Checkup on what's in his area and how he interacts with his surroundings. This would be done through a description and/or art.
Week 3: The action the character takes based on what his surroundings and thoughts pointed him towards.
Week 4: Checkup on the world as he has it mapped(it'd probably start blank like and be updated after the character has taken the first 3 steps). If he's been stationary, he'll just draw what he experienced(e.g. battles or training). If he simply walked through a town/house/cave, there'd be another map or just a detailed description of what he saw(style of houses, types of stores, etc) throughout it as some sort of diary.

Week 2 & 3 would extend if necessary, and, if the character ever had to be rebooted, we'd just keep the map and world but get a new character. The actions and descriptions chosen would be picked through polling. The magic system, world, plot, etc would happen naturally from descriptions. It sounds like a lot, but I don't think it's actually that much effort since you're essentially just answering 1 question every week. How the character feels/looks? What's around him and what is his surrounding doing? What's he doing now? What has he drawn into his map or written into his diary now that he's got downtime?

Last edited: