Year of Serialization: 2012

Author(s): Suzuki Nakaba

Artist(s): Suzuki Nakaba

Genre(s): Adventure, Fantasy, Action, Shounen

Current Status: Ongoing

Moment of Reviewing: 49th chapter

Other Formats: /

Series Summary:

The Seven Deadly Sins was once a group of knights consisting out of seven powerful criminals, each one of them tied with one of the seven deadly sins and a corresponding animal, in the kingdom of Britannia. However ten years ago they were disbanded and fled after a failed coup d'état. Since then none of the Seven had been seen nor heard from. In the present the strongest and largest order of knights, The Holy Knights, staged a coup of their own and threw the King in prison. One of his daughters however, Elizabeth, managed to escape. To free her father from prison and to overthrow the Holy Knights she could only find one solution: find the Seven Deadly Sins, the only group of people strong enough to match the Holy Knights in power. Almost starved to death and being chased by the Holy Knights, she ends up in a bar run by a young man named Melodias, who saves her from her pursuers and together they venture on a quest to gather the Seven once more.
Critical Review:

I stumbled on this rough gem two weeks ago. I already said in my review of Übel Blatt that I really like this kind of Middle Ages setting combined with fantasy elements. The fact that this series is inspired by the Arthurian legends, only makes it that much more appealing to me.

Artwise it vaguely reminds me of One Piece, though that might just be me. The reason for that is that some things look a bit like a caricature, something that is also frequently the case in One Piece. Especially the way how the author draws the armors, which are quite variated, have a unique touch.

Probably my most favourite aspect is the combination of action with the occasional comical relief and some several eccentric characters with weird quirks. For instance Meliodas regularly grabs Elizabeth's boobs or looks under her skirt, but he does it without a shred of hesitation nor with a change in his regular facial expression, doing like it's something routine. Diane, the Sin of Envy, is a female giant, but regularly acts like she's an innocent little girl (one time she hid most of her her lower face behind her two pigtails with an expression that looked like she would burst out in crying because of a scolding). My most favourite character of this series however is the most eccentric one of them all, namely Ban, the Sin of Greed. A 100% twisted personality with a doesn't-care attitude no matter how serious a situation might be an acts on complete unreasonable on the edge of being insane whims. He let himself be locked up in a dungeon, being impaled by several heavy iron spikes to the wall for years simply because he didn't had anything better to do, then just simply walks out when he found something interesting, leveling the place along the way by holding an arm wrestling contest with Meliodas. He also can't hold his liquor.

Because this is still a relatively young series (if you try googling it for images, most of them are scanlated manga pages; fanart is practically non-existent), I can't make an accurate an extensive analysis of its plot, which is also the reason as why this review is way shorter then my previous ones. Currently only four of the seven Sins have been gathered and of the current ones, Ban is the only one of which his background has been elaborated on more extensively. Each of the Seven Sins carries his or her own 'sin' he or she committed and on which the Sin they are tied to is based and those all will be explained eventually. At best this series has only progressed 25%, but I'm really looking forward to see it unfold ^^

From the start it's obvious that there is some kind of conspiracy going on, however currently that's still just slumbering on the background while the plot focuses now mainly on the gathering of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Btw did I already mention that they are also accompanied by two talking neckless pigs of which one is a giant and the other is named Hork, but sometimes gets translated as hawk? :p

You must be registered for see images

- Reviewed by Caliburn

Last edited:
Reactions: cajin and Rohan

Supermacaquecool

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not long ago I found out this existed XD I'm not going to read it yet...25% of the story done? :nuts: I'm reading way to much on-goings right now, I need something finished >.> but I'll remember this one, maybe I'll start with it on december...depending on a crucial data: is it monthly or weekly?

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I started reading this a while back, was likeable, though I dropped it. <_> I had way too much free time back then. I miss demtimes. T^T
Yeah it's good, not extraordinaire, but personally I find it a good read. And at the moment it only has 49 chapters, I read it one day >.>

Not long ago I found out this existed XD I'm not going to read it yet...25% of the story done? :nuts: I'm reading way to much on-goings right now, I need something finished >.> but I'll remember this one, maybe I'll start with it on december...depending on a crucial data: is it monthly or weekly?
That 25% is just a rough estimation on my part. It took almost 50 chapters to have 4 of the Sins introduced. Only two of them have their 'sacred treasures' (each one of the Seven also had a powerful weapon) and only one of the current four had been more or less its background explained. If you add to that that the plot has mainly focused so far on the gathering of the Seven Sins and the conspiracy that has been going on the background hasn't gotten much attention yet.

So yeah I estimate that it should be able to at least get around 200 chapters or so. It's weekly btw, though not always released so punctual because it isn't a very well known series.

Supermacaquecool

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah it's good, not extraordinaire, but personally I find it a good read. And at the moment it only has 49 chapters, I read it one day >.>

That 25% is just a rough estimation on my part. It took almost 50 chapters to have 4 of the Sins introduced. Only two of them have their 'sacred treasures' (each one of the Seven also had a powerful weapon) and only one of the current four had been more or less its background explained. If you add to that that the plot has mainly focused so far on the gathering of the Seven Sins and the conspiracy that has been going on the background hasn't gotten much attention yet.

So yeah I estimate that it should be able to at least get around 200 chapters or so. It's weekly btw, though not always released so punctual because it isn't a very well known series.
I see, well, I assume I will check it out on december. Sounds pretty interesting and entertaining (I love conspiracies ^_^) but really, I'm starting to hate on-goings XD The fact it's weekly might make want to check it our earlier, but let's see.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I see, well, I assume I will check it out on december. Sounds pretty interesting and entertaining (I love conspiracies ^_^) but really, I'm starting to hate on-goings XD The fact it's weekly might make want to check it our earlier, but let's see.
Lol, I know what you mean, though hate is a bit over the top. I rarely start reading series that don't already have quite few chapters and, if possible, I just read it once and then wait months or even years before I read it again.

Recently I read The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves again after I didn't read it for almost one and a half year.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's a brilliant manga, any idea what the cycle is? Weekly, Monthly releases? Been waiting ages for a new chapter :NO:
It's weekly. In fact it appears in the same magazine as Fairy Tail, just like how OP, Bleach and Naruto appear in the same magazine each week. However because FT is for more popular than NNT, it gets immediately scanlated, translated and released on friday, while NNT normally appears the day after that, on Saturday. However for some weird reason last week's chapter still hasn't been scanlated, even though it appeared at the exact same time as it was together on the cover of the magazine with FT and the raws have been circulating for the past week.

It just seems no one bothered yet scanning it.

Roy

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I've wanted to find out the name of this manga when I saw that FT cover last week xD just read the first chapter and so far so good.

cajin

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Great review, Caliburn. :)

I've read 40 chapters so far, and it's really amusing.. :) Hope it'll last for many, many chapters. :) Ban is my favourite characters, too. =D

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,032💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This manga is fantastic. :) At first I saw this manga on Mangafox, but after seeing the main character whom I didn't like, I thought that this story will not go well for me. So, I basically skipped this manga and after some weeks suddenly stumbled on this review.

After reading the review, I was immediately astounded and proceeded to read it till the last translated chapter i.e: Chapter 73 and I was literally blown away by the awesomeness of the series.

The first part is a bit boring but after the Ban Arc, the story becomes extremely interesting. As of now, two sins have been revealed, Growther, The Goat sin of Lust who joined the team and Merlin, The Boar sin of Gluttony who has yet to make a appearance but has been hinted towards by Growther.

In the end, I have realised two things : 1) That I would have missed this gem If I had not read this review and 2) To never judge a book by it's cover. :bouncy:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This manga is fantastic. :) At first I saw this manga on Mangafox, but after seeing the main character whom I didn't like, I thought that this story will not go well for me. So, I basically skipped this manga and after some weeks suddenly stumbled on this review.

After reading the review, I was immediately astounded and proceeded to read it till the last translated chapter i.e: Chapter 73 and I was literally blown away by the awesomeness of the series.

The first part is a bit boring but after the Ban Arc, the story becomes extremely interesting. As of now, two sins have been revealed, Growther, The Goat sin of Lust who joined the team and Merlin, The Boar sin of Gluttony who has yet to make a appearance but has been hinted towards by Growther.

In the end, I have realised two things : 1) That I would have missed this gem If I had not read this review and 2) To never judge a book by it's cover. :bouncy:
It's gaining more and more popularity. On Mangahere it's already considered a 'hot' manga and a wile ago it had some kind of crossover with Fairy Tail, one of the most popular manga of the moment. Nanatsu no Taizai is starting to become one of 'faces' of the magazine together with Fairy Tail. The way how it's growing is similar to how FT evolved, however I hope it lasts long enough so that it doesn't get stuck in that same zone where History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has been stuck in for ages.

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,032💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's gaining more and more popularity. On Mangahere it's already considered a 'hot' manga and a while ago it had some kind of crossover with Fairy Tail, one of the most popular manga of the moment. Nanatsu no Taizai is starting to become one of 'faces' of the magazine together with Fairy Tail. The way how it's growing is similar to how FT evolved, however I hope it lasts long enough so that it doesn't get stuck in that same zone where History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has been stuck in for ages.
Personally, I think it has enough material to last for a long time considering the plot line. As of now, I am going to keep track of this manga as it is released on Monday at Mangafox.