Nagato and Itachi's Conversation (A Japanese Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalMonster

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Originally Posted by Mangahelpers Translator
長門 アンタ(anta)どこまで暁の事を知ってた?
Nagato: Just how much did you know about Akatsuki?

イタチ お前(omae)よりは知ってたつもりだが…
Itachi: More than you did, I'm sure.

長門 フッ…結局オレもアンタも人に利用された忍だ… お互い持っているこの強すぎる瞳力のお かげでな…  今回も…術者に後回しで動かされている
Nagato: Hmph. You and I both ended up as shinobi used by others...and we owe it all thanks to these overwhelmingly powerful ocular powers* of ours. Even this time, the operator** saves us for later.

*tn note: douryoku
**tn note: "operator=(Edo Tensei) jutsu user=Kabuto"

イタチ ペイン… お前の六道の力・輪廻眼とオレの万華鏡写輪眼・ この二つの瞳力さえあれば ほぼなんでも できると言っていい… 術者の奴はこのタイミングでオレの幻術の力を利用するつもりだ
Itachi: Pain, as long as we have those two ocular powers - the powers of your Six Paths and my Mangekyou Sharingan- it's safe to say we can do almost anything. As for the operator, with this timing, [he] intends to use my genjutsu powers

長門 イタチ… 確かにお前は暁において闇の中の忍だったからな
Nagato: Itachi...being in Akatsuki, truly you were a shinobi locked in darkness
Itachi addresses Nagato as "omae" while Nagato addresses him with "anta".(Omae is disrespectful. Anta is polite) It gives the impression that Itachi is a higher rank than Nagato.

Japanese society is carefully formal and highly structured. A departure from the conventions of social address only happens when you either disrespect someone (intentionally or in the absence of necessity due to difference in social standing), or are intimately casual with them.

Nagato is a generation older than Itachi, and was once his professional superior in their organization. The way that Itachi addressed Nagato is evidence, and that Nagato made no comment (a typical reaction would at least take notice) on it is confirmation, that Itachi is either socially uncouth or is the superior. Considering his character, the former is unlikely. Ergo, we conclude the latter.

I'm not Japanese,and I'm not making this stuff up,but this proclamation is nothing but according to Japanese culture and custom.And with the help of some famous and professional translator outside of these boards,of course.But I would've been much more thankful if there is any Japanese member on this forum wish to come in here explaining this to the forum, if possible.

It goes without saying, that if we want some legitimate information, then Itachi fans and Nagato fans alike need to STFU and wait for more information so the moderators don't lolstomp this thread. But maybe bump it.:)

Last edited:

sandysennin

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice. I was somewhat aware of the japanese way of addressing to others and this translation is indeed interesting.

Out of ignorance: is it possible that nagato is just to polite and they see each other as friends, but Nagato just insists being formal?

Anyway, nice one.

Reactions: CasualMisfit

DigitalMonster

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice. I was somewhat aware of the japanese way of addressing to others and this translation is indeed interesting.

Out of ignorance: is it possible that nagato is just to polite and they see each other as friends, but Nagato just insists being formal?

Anyway, nice one.
'anta' (あんた) and 'omae' (お前) are both informal, and both used to denote either familiarity or contempt. Neither should be used without appropriate social context.​

DigitalMonster

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thanks for the info but I miss the point.

Were you trying to say Itachi was Nagatos boss or master?

Please clarify. :)
Depends on how you see it.
You must be registered for see images
.Anyway,I'm still awaiting if any Japanese member is interested to come in here and give a more accurate,better explanation of this.

DigitalMonster

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
nice one! u c; kabuto highly underrated itachi over nagato and he truly regretd it in the end! #teamITACHI!
I suggest you might need to save your word.
You must be registered for see images
Still,no one confirms this to be valid so far,and hence it is still improper to use it as an argument.

spatha

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
just my opinion, perhaps it is just how itachi was raised, i know little of the language but i do know that alot of times when a japanese family has a certain place in the social structure, they are taught to treat those of a lower teir in the less formal more rude manner, at least back then it was, because it was a means of reminding the lesser class who is the boss, who they are in the presence of. It may not even truly be meant as a mean comment, just how the uchiha have always seen themselves compared to others. That said, it would mean kishi has a truly knowledgeable understanding of the social hierarchy of feudal japan, since thats essentially when naruto is set.

DigitalMonster

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
just my opinion, perhaps it is just how itachi was raised, i know little of the language but i do know that alot of times when a japanese family has a certain place in the social structure, they are taught to treat those of a lower teir in the less formal more rude manner, at least back then it was, because it was a means of reminding the lesser class who is the boss, who they are in the presence of. It may not even truly be meant as a mean comment, just how the uchiha have always seen themselves compared to others. That said, it would mean kishi has a truly knowledgeable understanding of the social hierarchy of feudal japan, since thats essentially when naruto is set.
Hmm,is there any evidence of Uchiha's being condescendingly arrogant in front of the other clans?I can't remember.

Anyway,thanks for the info.Your attention make me feel pretty.:)

leafeater

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I gotta say I find this an interesting find, and an impressive display of obersvational, language, and cultural skills; however, I can't do much with it due to my own lack of knowledge in those areas. ;)

Granted I will say that I'm surprised because their behavior as drawn then seemed to be opposed to a demeaning Itachi, and at the time I thought them together, (Uchiha & Uzumaki) was supposed to have some sort of symbolic indicator of future hope. Granted that was all based on everything in English and our culture, so now I question it with this thread and the original transcript. I also think that while Itachi can be socially uncouth and not have great people skills, there's a difference between deliberately insulting, which he would know.

One suggestion I think I might have of some basic value, would be to simply look at some of the past dialogues of Itachi and Nagato to look for the use of those specific Japanese terms. If he uses them all the time, I think it's a lesser finding and more of a character issue, if not, the opposite. Honestly, I simply don't know. Again, a very nice find and hence thread, as well as a pleasant change for the forum. :)

Peace

Blaze Release

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Digitalmonster you never seize to amaze me.
What I feel is that, its just his personality. Sasuke has a similar personality but in itachi's case he recognises hid superiors/elders and i guess he sees nagato as an equal/friend rather than the his superior even if he was the leader of akatsuki.

For example itachi has always had leader qualities and isn't afraid to put even elite ninja's in their position. Look at the encounter he had with kisame at their first meeting. Kisame is older of the two and he tried to dominate their first encounter and itachi put him in his place, kisame backed down. Now it seems like kisame has accepted itachi as his superior and infact itachi commands him at will.

Similar after defeating oro at 13 and cutting of his right hand he basically told him that he is superior to him when he said before my eyes all your techniques are meaningless.

What I do find strange is that how does itachi know nagato. So far as I'm aware only tobi and konan knows nagato because he comes forth as deva realm during akatsuki meeting. This is my argument that itachi basically knew of peins weakness, which is that neither are the real one, the real one being nagato

Totsuka No Tsurugi

Legendary
Kin
53💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Digitalmonster you never seize to amaze me.
What I feel is that, its just his personality. Sasuke has a similar personality but in itachi's case he recognises hid superiors/elders and i guess he sees nagato as an equal/friend rather than the his superior even if he was the leader of akatsuki.

For example itachi has always had leader qualities and isn't afraid to put even elite ninja's in their position. Look at the encounter he had with kisame at their first meeting. Kisame is older of the two and he tried to dominate their first encounter and itachi put him in his place, kisame backed down. Now it seems like kisame has accepted itachi as his superior and infact itachi commands him at will.

Similar after defeating oro at 13 and cutting of his right hand he basically told him that he is superior to him when he said before my eyes all your techniques are meaningless.

What I do find strange is that how does itachi know nagato. So far as I'm aware only tobi and konan knows nagato because he comes forth as deva realm during akatsuki meeting. This is my argument that itachi basically knew of peins weakness, which is that neither are the real one, the real one being nagato
as for kisame a 13 years old kid said this to him
"We are humans, not fish. We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?"
of course he will back off LOL

Reactions: leafeater
Status
Not open for further replies.