Mythology references in Naruto

LadyKage

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So we all know Kishimoto has been inspired by mythology, especially from Japanese, of course.

I decided to come up with this thread after I read this:

In the Bible, God cursed the snake for its tricking Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit by taking away its arms similarly the God of Shinobi Hiruzen cursed the white Snake Orochimaru by sealing away his arms.
So I wondered, how much has Kishi been inspired by mythology?
I've made some research and this is what I've found:

-Kyuubi:

The nine tails. In naruto's case, Kurama.

-Kyuubi vs. Yamata no Orochi:

You must be registered for see images

There's probably a resemblance to Naruto (4 tails) vs Orochimaru

-Jiraiya goketsu monogatari:
The Sannin's names and powers come from this tale, where the main character is named Jiraiya and uses toad magic. He's married to a princess, Tsunade with slug magic. Orochimaru was one of Jiraiya's followers and used snake magic. It tells that Orochimaru fought against Jiraiya and Tsunade, beating them (there isn't a proper end to the story)

-Snake > Toad > Slug:
Like "scissors, paper, stone" game. The toad is defeated by the snake, the snake is defeated by the slug, and the slug is defeated by the toad.
Although order is probably messed up in Naruto, the Sannin use these summons and are always represented with these animals.

-Susanoo/Amaretsu/Tsukuyomi/Izagani:

This is clear. Names have been borrowed.

Susanoo was the god of sea and storms. His form in Naruto could probably resemble him, as well as the fact he has a sword (Totsuka no Tsurugi) and a shield (Yata no Kagami)

Amaretsu was the goddess of the Sun (that's why in Naruto it's fire).

Tsukuyomi was the god of the moon (It is the spiritual world and darkness). In Itachi's Tsukuyomi you can see a moon in the background. And of course, Tobi's Eye of the Moon Plan (to cast an infinite Tsukuyomi).

The Izagani in the myth creates Susanoo, Amaretsu and Tsukuyomi. Amaretsu and Tsukuyomi (both eye techniques) were created when Izagani cleaned his eyes to purify himself.

Kusanagi Sword

Orochimaru's sword, it was originally found by Susanoo after he defeated Yamata no Orochi (I already said there was some resemblance between Yamata no Orochi and Orochimaru, this could be a reference to Sasuke vs Orochimaru).

This is all I was able to find. I'm sure there's a lot more, so I'm asking if you know more of these.
I find it quite interesting. :)

---
EDIT: *I'll be adding new references people post*

Don't forget Itachi. He is the Crow-God of Japan. Crows are seen as good beings and "clean up" after death and are like the rebirth of life blah blah blah. Itachi is a raven /Crow God who watches over all Japan and does right when there has been wrong.

Yatagarasu

In Japanese mythology, this flying creature is a raven or a Jungle Crow called Yatagarasu (八咫烏?, "eight-span crow"), and the appearance of the great bird is construed as evidence of the will of Heaven or divine intervention in human affairs (Itachi)
]

Monkey King enma

Sun Wukong, (Monkey King): main character in the Chinese epic novel Journey to the West. In the novel, he is a monkey born from a stone who acquires supernatural powers through Taoist practices.
After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under a mountain by the Buddha, he later accompanies the monk Xuanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India.
Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength. He is also superbly fast. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects (remember Sarutobi with Enma)

The Imperial Regalia of Japan

The Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, consist of the sword Kusanagi, the mirror Yata no Kagami, and the jewel Yasakani no Magatama. The regalia represent the three primary virtues: valor (the sword), wisdom (the mirror), and benevolence (the jewel).

-Kusanagi: Orochimaru's sword
-Yata no kagami: Susanoo's shield

[/I]

Raijin and Fujin:

Raijin and Fujin: The elemental alignment of the two main charcters in Naruto is also very symbolic, with Nartuo’s wind ability and Sasuke’s lightening ability mirroring that of Fuujin and Raijin, the Japanese gods of wind and lightening. They are shown in both Shinto and Buddhist art, and can often been seen acting as guardian at temples or gate across Japan. Fujin is typical shown holding a bag of wind on his shoulders while Raijin is shown with drums used to create thunder. These drums are often decorated with ‘tomoe’ or the 3 comma motif that is also recognisable as being the Sharingan.

Ino-Shika-Cho:

Ino-Shika-Cho: ‘Ino-Shika-Cho’ is the known as a winning card hand in the game ‘Hanafuda’, much like a ‘full house’ in Poker etc. Hanafuda – or ‘flower cards’ involves collecting set of winning cards which are each decorated in individual designs. The Ino, Shika, Cho translates as Boar Deer and Butterfly, which as above, has been linked to the characters for other reasons. Perhaps, this also explains the reason for the Yamanaka being florists, further emphasising the symbolism.

Six Paths of Pain

The Six Paths of Pain: One of the main features of Buddhism is the belief in reincarnation; the rebirth of a being depending on their levels of good and bad karma. In Buddhist cosmology it is said that six domains or ‘paths’ within the ‘desire’ realm where physical beings that still feel pain and pleasure reside. These are known as deva(god), asura(demi god or demon), human, animal, preta(ghost) and naraka(hell) – although it is important not to confuse these terms with their Western/Judo-Christian definitions – and a being ascends or descend through these levels with each reincarnation depending on their karma, or how they lived their preceding life.

Temari’s summon

Kamatari/Kamaitachi: Temari’s summons, a weasel with a scythe and an eye patch is lifted pretty much straight from the myth of Kamaitachi, a weasel spirit that travelled on the winds and cut unsuspecting victims with its claws or scythe.

the crow relates to itachi, sun wukon = hiruzen's summoning, the regalia are yata mirror , totsuka sword etc

Here's what I wanted to add,maybe it was already listed,but anyways...

Those figures we see at the entrance of the temple are from left to right a Karasu Tengu and a Yamabushi Tengu

I mentioned them because basically Itachi and Sasuke's Susano'o are inspired from them,as Itachi's a Karasu Tengu this only cements the karasu affinity of Itachi;while Sasuke's is somewhat of a mix of the Karasu and the Yamabushi.

There are a lot of other Tengus that are somewhat related to the plot,like the Tengu of Myobokuzan(or something like that)

Those were the Raijin and Fujin,respectively the God of thunder and wind

Izanami-no-Mikoto-

Last edited:

Pizcobaby

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Don't forget Itachi. He is the Crow-God of Japan. Crows are seen as good beings and "clean up" after death and are like the rebirth of life blah blah blah. Itachi is a raven /Crow God who watches over all Japan and does right when there has been wrong.

Owarij

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
knew all :p here are some
Yatagarasu

In Japanese mythology, this flying creature is a raven or a Jungle Crow called Yatagarasu (八咫烏?, "eight-span crow"), and the appearance of the great bird is construed as evidence of the will of Heaven or divine intervention in human affairs

Monkey King enma

Sun Wukong (simplified Chinese: 孙悟空; traditional Chinese: 孫悟空; pinyin: Sūn Wùkōng), also known as the Monkey King is a main character in the classical Chinese epic novel Journey to the West (Chinese: 西遊記; pinyin: Xīyóujì). In the novel, he is a monkey born from a stone who acquires supernatural powers through Taoist practices. After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under a mountain by the Buddha, he later accompanies the monk Xuanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India. The TV series Monkey and upcoming film The Monkey King are both based on this book.
Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (8,100 kg or 17,881 lbs) staff with ease. He is also superbly fast, able to travel 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers or 33,554 mi) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects; he has trouble, however, transforming into other people, because he is unable to complete the transformation of his tail. He is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best generals of heaven. Each of his hairs possesses magical properties, and is capable of transforming either into a clone of the Monkey King himself, or various weapons, animals, and other objects. He also knows spells that can command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike

T (三種の神器 Sanshu no Jingi / Mikusa no Kandakara?), also known as the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, consist of the sword Kusanagi (草薙劍), the mirror Yata no Kagami (八咫鏡), and the jewel Yasakani no Magatama (八尺瓊曲玉). The regalia represent the three primary virtues: valor (the sword), wisdom (the mirror), and benevolence (the jewel).[1]
Due to the legendary status of these items, their locations are not confirmed, but it is commonly thought that the sword is located at Atsuta Shrine in Nagoya, the jewel is located at Kokyo (the Imperial Palace) in Tokyo, and the mirror is located in the Grand Shrine of Ise in Mie prefecture.

Raijin and Fujin:

Raijin and Fujin: The elemental alignment of the two main charcters in Naruto is also very symbolic, with Nartuo’s wind ability and Sasuke’s lightening ability mirroring that of Fuujin and Raijin, the Japanese gods of wind and lightening. They are shown in both Shinto and Buddhist art, and can often been seen acting as guardian at temples or gate across Japan. Fujin is typical shown holding a bag of wind on his shoulders while Raijin is shown with drums used to create thunder. These drums are often decorated with ‘tomoe’ or the 3 comma motif that is also recognisable as being the Sharingan.

Ino-Shika-Cho:

Ino-Shika-Cho: ‘Ino-Shika-Cho’ is the known as a winning card hand in the game ‘Hanafuda’, much like a ‘full house’ in Poker etc. Hanafuda – or ‘flower cards’ involves collecting set of winning cards which are each decorated in individual designs. The Ino, Shika, Cho translates as Boar Deer and Butterfly, which as above, has been linked to the characters for other reasons. Perhaps, this also explains the reason for the Yamanaka being florists, further emphasising the symbolism.

Six Paths of Pain

The Six Paths of Pain: One of the main features of Buddhism is the belief in reincarnation; the rebirth of a being depending on their levels of good and bad karma. In Buddhist cosmology it is said that six domains or ‘paths’ within the ‘desire’ realm where physical beings that still feel pain and pleasure reside. These are known as deva(god), asura(demi god or demon), human, animal, preta(ghost) and naraka(hell) – although it is important not to confuse these terms with their Western/Judo-Christian definitions – and a being ascends or descend through these levels with each reincarnation depending on their karma, or how they lived their preceding life.
Temari’s summon

Kamatari/Kamaitachi: Temari’s summons, a weasel with a scythe and an eye patch is lifted pretty much straight from the myth of Kamaitachi, a weasel spirit that travelled on the winds and cut unsuspecting victims with its claws or scythe.

the crow relates to itachi, sun wukon = hiruzen's summoning, the regalia are yata mirror , totsuka sword etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Kira was Righteous

Mangomango

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm really interested in this side of Naruto, not coming from Japan but being really interested in Japanese culture this really excites me. Well done.

+rep

LadyKage

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yatagarasu

In Japanese mythology, this flying creature is a raven or a Jungle Crow called Yatagarasu (八咫烏?, "eight-span crow"), and the appearance of the great bird is construed as evidence of the will of Heaven or divine intervention in human affairs

Monkey King enma

Sun Wukong (simplified Chinese: 孙悟空; traditional Chinese: 孫悟空; pinyin: Sūn Wùkōng), also known as the Monkey King is a main character in the classical Chinese epic novel Journey to the West (Chinese: 西遊記; pinyin: Xīyóujì). In the novel, he is a monkey born from a stone who acquires supernatural powers through Taoist practices. After rebelling against heaven and being imprisoned under a mountain by the Buddha, he later accompanies the monk Xuanzang on a journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India. The TV series Monkey and upcoming film The Monkey King are both based on this book.
Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (8,100 kg or 17,881 lbs) staff with ease. He is also superbly fast, able to travel 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers or 33,554 mi) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects; he has trouble, however, transforming into other people, because he is unable to complete the transformation of his tail. He is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best generals of heaven. Each of his hairs possesses magical properties, and is capable of transforming either into a clone of the Monkey King himself, or various weapons, animals, and other objects. He also knows spells that can command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike

T (三種の神器 Sanshu no Jingi / Mikusa no Kandakara?), also known as the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, consist of the sword Kusanagi (草薙劍), the mirror Yata no Kagami (八咫鏡), and the jewel Yasakani no Magatama (八尺瓊曲玉). The regalia represent the three primary virtues: valor (the sword), wisdom (the mirror), and benevolence (the jewel).[1]
Due to the legendary status of these items, their locations are not confirmed, but it is commonly thought that the sword is located at Atsuta Shrine in Nagoya, the jewel is located at Kokyo (the Imperial Palace) in Tokyo, and the mirror is located in the Grand Shrine of Ise in Mie prefecture.

Thank you for the info!

Thanks to all :)

Download

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
nice work on finding the info i already knew about susanoo,amateratsu,tsukiuomy and Yamata no Orochi but i didn't know that kyuubi fought against it nice job :worshippy: ;)

LadyKage

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
nice work on finding the info i already knew about susanoo,amateratsu,tsukiuomy and Yamata no Orochi but i didn't know that kyuubi fought against it nice job :worshippy: ;)

Thank you! :) I find that part especially interesting. Yamata no Orochi and Orochimaru have a lot of things in common :)

Lt Iceman

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So we all know Kishimoto has been inspired by mythology, especially from Japanese, of course.

I decided to come up with this thread after I read this:

So I wondered, how much has Kishi been inspired by mythology?
I've made some research and this is what I've found:

-Kyuubi:

The nine tails. In naruto's case, Kurama.

-Kyuubi vs. Yamata no Orochi:

There's probably a resemblance to Naruto (4 tails) vs Orochimaru

-Jiraiya goketsu monogatari:
The Sannin's names and powers come from this tale, where the main character is named Jiraiya and uses toad magic. He's married to a princess, Tsunade with slug magic. Orochimaru was one of Jiraiya's followers and used snake magic. It tells that Orochimaru fought against Jiraiya and Tsunade, beating them (there isn't a proper end to the story)

-Snake > Toad > Slug:
Like "scissors, paper, stone" game. The toad is defeated by the snake, the snake is defeated by the slug, and the slug is defeated by the toad.
Although order is probably messed up in Naruto, the Sannin use these summons and are always represented with these animals.

-Susanoo/Amaretsu/Tsukuyomi/Izagani:

This is clear. Names have been borrowed.

Susanoo was the god of sea and storms. His form in Naruto could probably resemble him, as well as the fact he has a sword (Totsuka no Tsurugi) and a shield (Yata no Kagami)

Amaretsu was the goddess of the Sun (that's why in Naruto it's fire).

Tsukuyomi was the god of the moon (It is the spiritual world and darkness). In Itachi's Tsukuyomi you can see a moon in the background. And of course, Tobi's Eye of the Moon Plan (to cast an infinite Tsukuyomi).

The Izagani in the myth creates Susanoo, Amaretsu and Tsukuyomi. Amaretsu and Tsukuyomi (both eye techniques) were created when Izagani cleaned his eyes to purify himself.

Kusanagi Sword

Orochimaru's sword, it was originally found by Susanoo after he defeated Yamata no Orochi (I already said there was some resemblance between Yamata no Orochi and Orochimaru).

This is all I was able to find. I'm sure there's a lot more, so I'm asking if you know more of these.
I find it quite interesting. :)
Yatagarasu

Monkey King enma

Raijin and Fujin:

Ino-Shika-Cho:

Six Paths of Pain

Temari’s summon

Very good OP,it's kind of a pleasure to come on the base and see some variety and meaningful threads,and good job too Owarij...

Those figures we see at the entrance of the temple are from left to right a Karasu Tengu and a Yamabushi Tengu

I mentioned them because basically Itachi and Sasuke's Susano'o are inspired from them,as Itachi's a Karasu Tengu this only cements the karasu affinity of Itachi;while Sasuke's is somewhat of a mix of the Karasu and the Yamabushi.

There are a lot of other Tengus that are somewhat related to the plot,like the Tengu of Myobokuzan(or something like that)

Izanami-no-Mikoto-

LadyKage

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Very good OP,it's kind of a pleasure to come on the base and see some variety and meaningful threads,and good job too Owarij...

Izanami-no-Mikoto-
Thank you so much for the info!! I will post it in the first post so people will see it!! :)