Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well would a realist be happy about upcoming death? Death is not a happy thing .... its unavoidable and one has to make peace with the terms, but none can be happy about it. As for looking forward to something better, Children too are fed various stories and look forward to things with zeal, for eg: A kid who believes in Santa will look forward to Christmas with more zeal than a kid who doesnt .... but the end result is the same for them.

Also one does not have the knowledge of his own death precisely because that is the point of life ..... no point in running a race if u know the results, isnt it?
But the one kid is more happy than the other and that's what counts. What's the point of living if you can't be happy?

If God doesn't exist, I'd rather live my finite existence in bliss and ignorance than knowing that all of my hope is lost and all of the strife that I've lived through in my life would have been for nothing.

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
But the one kid is more happy than the other and that's what counts. What's the point of living if you can't be happy?

If God doesn't exist, I'd rather live my finite existence in bliss and ignorance than knowing that all of my hope is lost and all of the strife that I've lived through in my life would have been for nothing.
In the end both kids get presents doesnt they? So why should the non believing kid be 'unhappy'? he has just less zeal and less delusional and will actually thank their parents more sincerely than a non existant entity. Also arent you bit presumptuous here? The Atheist might have been more happy throughout life than the Theist who is bound to have some restrictions (or vice varsha) .... People are always sad at parting, that doesnt mean their whole life is miserable.

Well if your hope is to have an everlasting life and want to follow a path that may or may not allow your hope, you are free to do so. But as I said, from your words, your are very afraid of life ending. Living happy and living content is something different.

Your bodily functions still work when you're sleeping though. When you're dead nothing's working.
Look from a living organism's pov .... not from the perspective of a observer.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Living happy and living content is something different. Also arent you bit presumptuous here? The Atheist might have been more happy throughout life than the Theist who is bound to have some restrictions (or vice varsha) .... People are always sad at parting, that doesnt mean their whole life is miserable.

Well if your hope is to have an everlasting life and want to follow a path that may or may not allow your hope, you are free to do so. But as I said, from your words, your are very afraid of life ending.
Well still, it baffles me that people are content with life ending. I just can't comprehend the thought of being ok with that. Why would anyone want life to just end and not continue?

Most people's lives are very unfulfilling, especially those in the more unfortunate regions of the Earth. Looking forward to something better is the only rational alleviation to a miserable life.

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well still, it baffles me that people are content with life ending. I just can't comprehend the thought of being ok with that. Why would anyone want life to just end and not continue?
Well .... I think you would know when your 70 and retired.

Most people's lives are very unfulfilling, especially those in the more unfortunate regions of the Earth. Looking forward to something better is the only rational alleviation to a miserable life.
Well I would not like to show preferential treatment to any religion but some of the Buddhist philosophies actually helps .... Desire is the prime cause of unfulfillment.

We don't know what it's like to be dead. We can't say if it's the same thing as being asleep or not.
Theoretically should be similar. And some people who were brought back from 'technical deaths' scenarios doesnt tell much colorful stories is most cases.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well .... I think you would know when your 70 and retired.

Well I would not like to show preferential treatment to any religion but some of the Buddhist philosophies actually helps .... Desire is the prime cause of unfulfillment.
I think when you're old, you don't really have much choice. No one wants to live forever with an old body.

Yeah I know the Buddhist saying; but at the same time, having no ambition in life is not really living, but merely a state of an unremarkable existence.

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Really? Just about every NDE I've ever read has some sort of out of body experience.
Arnt those mostly related to being forcefully restarting the body? And the only consistent thing is the oblivion like state?

I think when you're old, you don't really have much choice. No one wants to live forever with an old body.
So is the way of things. Nothing must last for ever.

Yeah I know the Buddhist saying; but at the same time, having no ambition in life is not really living, but merely a state of an unremarkable existence.
There is it again ..... You desire for a remarkable existance .... which may or may not include a happy/content one.

Last edited:

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Do the circumstances of the revival matter?
Of corse .... say if your shocked back to life you are bound to have a 'jolt' .... If your saved from drowning you are bound to have some asphyxia related feelings. We need a common factor in ALL the cases.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Arnt those mostly related to being forcefully restarting the body? And the only consistent thing is the oblivion like state?

So is the way of things. Nothing must last for ever.

There is it again ..... You desire for a remarkable existance .... which may or may not include a happy/content one.
Doesn't energy last forever? Can't be created nor destroyed and all that? If such a thing exists and defies the law of non-existence, then surely conduits of energy(humans) might be able to surpass it as well.

I've actually read that the possibility for immortality might come to fruition within the next 40 years.(transferring consciousness)

Cornson

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It is OK to be either theist, atheist or agnostic, since all of them require an act of faith to believe in.
your wrong.

Theists claim that god/gods exists.
Atheists don't believe in that claim. (the total absence of faith)

and people that call themselves agnostic just fail outright. (when they are asked do you believe in the existence of god (the god claim) they answer: I don't know if God exists or not. and at a first glans it might sounds like a "okay" responce, untill you take a look at the actual question... (the question was not do you "know" if a god exists or not, but if you believe one does, there are litterly only 2 ways you can answer the question: yes or no.

Reactions: Scooby Doo