Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Where do they come from? Are they given to us through God 'him'self? Are they developed throughout our experiences and the culture around us? Is it some other way?

I personally believe morals are 'different' for everyone and they are a product of experiences in the culture you grew up in. If you have a reason or proof otherwise I'd love to hear it because I'm always willing to learn.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Maybe religion has had some kind of cultural revolution of morals throughout history. Some people say it comes from evolution, maybe they mean it has been more beneficial to be good and so those behaviours are then passed onto the future.

I don't know people can be good and bad at the same time which is also weird.

Some people say if there is no authority then people will be evil all the time. Kinda like how after Nietschie left God he felt like values had to be remade cus life seemed hopeless.

But maybe then if we are only good because there are things like police then morals are just something forced onto us for society to function.

I think people can think for themselves and be good regardless but I don't know where that comes from. Maybe cus people want to?

You can always argue what is good as well even if people want to be good you can have different beliefs on what good is.

Maybe there is pride involved, maybe u think it's beneficial, like then people will be good to you as well etc. Maybe people believe it is right and there is no more reason in it than that.

How you are raised def has an impact I'm sure. But also circumstances around you as an adult, I think if people are in different situations then they are right now they could do bad things or good things depending on the overall climate.

It's also weird how some people like Trump can be really nice but still so indecent while others can be really mean but also very like decent and stuff.

I think how you are raised but not just from your parents has an impact on how you behave. But also what you come into contact with.
People are going to ISIS and stuff.

I think most people wants to do good people jsut differ on what that is.

And maybe some people fail.

For me it's extremely important to be a good person. I don't know where that comes from or why.

It's scary to think you might be awful id your paeesnt iddnt raise you right

Last edited:
Reactions: Lightbringer

Edogawa

Regular
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Universal morals are given to us by God and his messengers; obeying your parents, helping people (needy, poor, elderly), do not steal, do not fornicate, do not murder etc. Humanity have come to know what is right and wrong thanks to religious teachings. Whether atheists agree with this or not, fundamental morals do come from religion. Atheists who embodied these morals are doing it, because they were raised by religious values and these values are within them, even with their disagreement of God's existence.

There are morals that have developed over time, like in the Age of Enlightenment; liberty, tolerance, free market, democratic government etc. are all secular morals as we know it today. These are universal morals as well, even though were not recognized centuries ago, but are internationally recognized and enforced in every developed country.

Reactions: Chikombo

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Universal morals are given to us by God and his messengers; obeying your parents, helping people (needy, poor, elderly), do not steal, do not fornicate, do not murder etc. Humanity have come to know what is right and wrong thanks to religious teachings. Whether atheists agree with this or not, fundamental morals do come from religion. Atheists who embodied these morals are doing it, because they were raised by religious values and these values are within them, even with their disagreement of God's existence.

There are morals that have developed over time, like in the Age of Enlightenment; liberty, tolerance, free market, democratic government etc. are all secular morals as we know it today. These are universal morals as well, even though were not recognized centuries ago, but are internationally recognized and enforced in every developed country.
So before these religions even existed and before these messengers humans had no morals?

Cornson

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
No but maybe it has helped. I mean before people were crueler than they are now.
before, religion was also more wide spread, the less religious the world have gotten the more moral it have become.

like we on longer burn heratics on the stake for not beliving in god...

granted muslims still kill people who leave the faith (apostates) and trow gays off the roofs of buildings.

the more religious a country is the less moral it is.

also, there are studies done on morality that show that atheist acts more on jesus teachins than christians does...

Edogawa

Regular
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So before these religions even existed and before these messengers humans had no morals?
Religion existed since Adam and Eve were created. There were times in the past religious values disappeared and humans didn't have morals - take Sodom and Gomorrah as an example.

Srom777

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Morals come from God. Without God there is no standard of morality at all.

In The Brothers Karamazov, Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky aptly observed, " If there is no immorality of the soul, there can be no virtue and therefore everything is permissible." In other words, if God does not exist as the foundation of morality then anything goes. This doesn't mean atheists or other nonbelievers will necessarily act more immoral than believers. but it does mean we lose an objective basis by which to make moral judgements. If God doesn't exist then we lose the right to judge the Nazis and anyone else with whom we disagree morally. They believed they were right. We think they were wrong. Without a higher law above humanity, who gets to decide moral truth? If there is no greater source above human beings then the existence of morality is an explicable illusion.

Our Lord Sasuke

Regular
Kin
28💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

In The Brothers Karamazov, Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky aptly observed, " If there is no immorality of the soul, there can be no virtue and therefore everything is permissible." In other words, if God does not exist as the foundation of morality then anything goes. This doesn't mean atheists or other nonbelievers will necessarily act more immoral than believers. but it does mean we lose an objective basis by which to make moral judgements. If God doesn't exist then we lose the right to judge the Nazis and anyone else with whom we disagree morally. They believed they were right. We think they were wrong. Without a higher law above humanity, who gets to decide moral truth? If there is no greater source above human beings then the existence of morality is an explicable illusion.
So when God ordered to be punished and executed to death countless of people and children you can consider him as fundamental moral? Even when him let natural disaster to happen?

Moral values ​​have been invented by humans as society have become more increasingly complex, and become necessary to maintain balance and harmony among people. We do not want our animal instincts to dominate us.

Last edited:

Brady

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Empathy determines morality. If someone isn't capable of morality without the threat of hell fire looming over their head, then they're not really all that moral.

Srom777

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So when God ordered to be punished and executed to death countless of people and children you can consider him as fundamental moral? Even when him let natural disaster to happen?

Moral values ​​have been invented by humans as society have become more increasingly complex, and become necessary to maintain balance and harmony among people. We do not want our animal instincts to dominate us.
So what if God does allow natural disasters to happen. It doesn't matter in your worldview.

Okay, so if society determines our morals. Then that means Hitler wasn't wrong, and Germany wasn't wrong because their society by democratic vote, voted that Hitler was in charge, and that's not a person(Jew), I know it's person it looks like a person, but it's a Jew. In that case if you determine what society says is right and wrong and that is the basis for ethics then that means anyone who fought against slavery in the United States of America was immoral because society had determined it was fine and okay to capture people as slaves and to enslave them and to use them as human property. And that means if society determines what is moral then that means any society that has a person within it fighting for transformation within society on any level, the person fighting against that society is the immoral one. Why? Because society has determined what? That we can kill Jews, or enslave black people, and anyone who argues with it is the immoral one. Do you see if you say society determines what is moral then you are stuck with society changing morality over time and whatever evil is happening you cannot war against it because society has determined it. Which means no social transformation to any degree at any time.

LustyLover

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Where do they come from? Are they given to us through God 'him'self? Are they developed throughout our experiences and the culture around us? Is it some other way?

I personally believe morals are 'different' for everyone and they are a product of experiences in the culture you grew up in. If you have a reason or proof otherwise I'd love to hear it because I'm always willing to learn.
Different in the sense that you grew up in a different household and environment than I but we both know firsthand that you treat others the way you want to be treated. You don't need religion for that. I'm a much more caring person than a whole lot of religious fanatics I've met in my life. So what does that say..

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,444💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

It comes from our personal sense, and understanding of justice and ethics.

Of course our thought process is also influenced by our history, culture and philosophy of the times we live in, but ultimately if it doesn't fit in our personal moral code, people often only give a lip service to it or evoke in only when they have some personal interest in it. That kind may go by the book to keep a reputation or fit in or may follow certain ethics to be in synchronization with prevailing religious or legal dictates to avoid trouble or penalties by religious(or heavenly powers) or legal authorities.

But those who really believe in those morals due to their own sense of ethics, will think twice before crossing those lines even without such outside forces to force them and feel guilty if they break it.

Last edited: