2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
How to make an Anime
-Tutorial Introduction-​

You must be registered for see images

What's up NB!

Today I decided to bring you something new. Something fresh. Something exciting. You've read the title right, here you'll find out how to make your own anime! :yay:

Basically, I had an idea to make this kind of tutorial for quite some time now and, upon seeing how dead this section is, I though: "why the heck not?". And here I am. =D That said, this will be a series of tutorials that will start from the most basic stuff and then build up to the hardcore levels. The point of these tutorials is to teach you all how to animate from scratch.

In this thread you'll find the Introduction video that kicks off this series, and as I upload new lectures, I'll update this page so it's nice and organized. In this first lesson I talk about stuff like what is animation and how it's made without getting into too much detail.

New videos should be uploaded every week or two so you don't need to worry about hiatuses. Now, I honestly don't know how many animators are there, nor how many people will actually be interested in this, but I sure hope there will be some of you who will find these upcoming lessons helpful. Anyway, the video is below so be sure to check it out, and for those of you who don't feel like watching for some reason, you can find the script in the spoiler too, if that's more to your preference.

[video=youtube;2tUayXnEcVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUayXnEcVk[/video]

Hello, everyone and welcome to the series of tutorials about how to make an anime. Now, the more accurate way to name it would be how to learn 2D animation, but considering how I work in anime style, and how nearly all anime is 2D, I find the name fitting as I myself have made anime-style works in the past.

Ofcourse, making an anime is a process that requires a lot of people and a lot of money, thus my series here is going to be aimed more to those who want to make shorter movies of their own, but could also be used for those looking to get a job at an animation studio. Now that we got the name out of the way, let's talk about the course.

This is a course wich will cover all the basics of 2D animation and will move on to a more advanced level as time goes by. The first part will be covering only the basics such as what is animation, what are the methods of animation, who can make animation etc. Some of them I will cover in this introduction video.

The purpose of this series of tutorials is to teach people how to animate the 2D way from scratch. That said, you will need to have some equipment before you could actually animate, but I'll get to that too. So, first thing's first.

-What is animation?

Animation is basically, a process of making a series of images which when played at high speed give an illusion of movement. 2D animation, the type I'm gonna be covering here, is the oldest form of animation. There are also other forms such as 3D animation, which uses 3D models, stop-motion which uses actual photos rather than drawings, clay, puppets, etc.

Now, I'll be focusing on 2D animation only here, as that's the one I work with. There are multiple versions of 2D animation though. There is classic 2D (made with actual pen and paper) and there is digital 2D (made on a drawing tablet with help of image softwares such as Photoshop).
Even these types can be divided into further categories based on specific methods of production.

-How is it done?

Now, that we know what animation is, we need to take a look at the core principle of how animation is made. It's really an idea that simple in theory, but hard in practice, so I'll explain the concept pretty fast.

I said already that animation consists of a series of images which give an illusion of movement when played really fast.
Well, there are multiple ways you can make these images, but I won't talk about them now. The point is these images, better to be called frames, all feature a certain stage of a motion. They are arranged in the order from the first to last stage. For example, imagine you have a character waving his hand.

The first image, or a frame, would have the hand in this position. Now the next frame would have the hand positioned in a slightly different way. The next frame would have the hand even further away from the original, and so on until we reach the last frame in wich the hand is in the position we wanted.

Now, the crucial positions of the hand such as the first and the last one, are called keyframes. These are the frames that you will be making first. Then after you've done these keyframes, you need to do what is called in-betweening.
The process of inbetweening consists of making a middle frame at a certain point between the 2 keyframes. The number of in-between frames you make determines the quality of animation, its speed, its feel etc.
You can make any number of keyframes you want depending on the movement you're animating.

-What you need to know before this tutorial

This tutorial will only teach you how to animate. If you don't know how to draw certain things that we'll be animating, you're gonna have to master that first. In this series I'll be focusing solely on animation and not methods of drawing.
Also, I will not cover the entire process of producing animation, such as adding sound, directing, setting up scenes and stuff like that. I will go through the process on animation on its own, as this is the only thing that an animator is in charge of.

The next video is going to deal with what you need to animate. It's gonna be a short one, but very important as we'll explore alternatives to what you can use in order to make animation. If you liked this video be sure to like and subscribe and leave a comment of what exactly YOU would like this tutorial to cover.

I hope you found this interesting, and that it was helpful to you. I wish to make you (by the end of this tutorial) into a true animator. Until next time.

MORE LESSONS:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deadlift and loj