[Debate] Let's talk about tipping.

Should you tip?

• Yes, you should be expected to tip a % of your bill.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No, compensation is the employers job not the guests.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, but only when the service is extraordinary.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Tipping. Particularly in the food service industry. Some hate it, some thrive on it, and some simply feel obligated through social pressure. Whatever the situation, tipping is quite a controversial topic - so let's have a little debate on the subject.

Should you be expected to tip?

Back in ye olden days, tipping your waiter/waitress was simply a form of gratitude. Have a pleasant meal? Enjoy a nice conversation with your waiter/waitress? Leave a few bucks on the table when you leave. Things changed however, when the wages for waiters and waitresses decreased - as compensation for their tips. Tips steadily transformed from a simple "thanks" to more of a requirement.

Today, wages are a little bit of a tricky thing. I live in CA, and in CA all waiters and waitresses are required to be paid the state minimum wage (roughly $9 an hour) with their tips merely a bonus. However I only know CA to enforce this rule, so to my knowledge it's very likely that waiters and waitresses everywhere else could still be making only a few dollars an hour with tips being their main source of income. Some restaurants will enforce a hybrid of the two, where if the employee hasn't made more than the minimum wage through tips they will pay the rest, while some restaurants will refuse tips completely but rather force an additional % on your bill to distribute to the employees.

But moving beyond the wages themselves, part of the controversy that I always see isn't with the wages. It's with the social expectations that come with tipping. A lot of people that I've heard/read have the mentality that if you don't tip "don't go out", while others feel it shouldn't be their responsibility to pay for the restaurant's employees. Etc.

I've always found to the subject of tipping to be interesting, as it very quickly can bring out the greed and hypocrisy out of people - you would likely gladly accept a $20 tip if you're the waiter, but would hesitate to give the $20 tip as the guest.

Personally, I'm in the camp that I should not be expected to pay an additional fee to compensate for the employers lack of payment. Let alone the fact that, if anyone should be tipped, it's the chef and not the waiter, the concept of having to pay for food as well as pay for the service seperately just makes no sense to me. If I'm already paying $10-15 for a burger that I can easily make myself or get elsewhere for half the price, then why is the service considered a premium charge? In my mind, if you accept a job - in this case a waiter or waitress - then you should be willing to do your job respectfully without holding out an empty can begging for spare change.

To me, the notion that if you don't tip, or even don't tip well, that your server will act accordingly is just completely unprofessional. I would even argue the same for bartenders, as people typically say to tip your bartender well otherwise you'll have an inferior service (such as not being prioritized) - but at least for bartenders I can kind of see the merit, what with having to deal with drunks for hours on end.

Now, to my surprise (and grief) I often still do find myself tipping. But it's not out of desire, but rather out of pure awkwardness. Having waiters/waitresses staring down my neck as I sign the check, mentally deciding to leave the "tip" line blank or not is the complete opposite of what I want when I go out to eat.

But what are your opinions on the subject of tipping? Is tipping even a social standard for some of you?

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In my region, tipping is common, but not tipping is generally also not frowned upon. It's just, as you said, a form of gratitude. I get tips at work too (sometimes not in money but gifts... or snacks :p).

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Ideally, the employers would be compensating its employees enough that tipping wouldn't be needed, but they're not. People say they tip when the service is good, but really, you should tip when you get service, tip more well than ordinary when the service is better than ordinary, and don't tip when the service is much worse than ordinary, or tip less in this case.

Sasuke tyeezy

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I stopped tipping hoes when I started working at sonic for a summer job (16 years old btw). I stay and work in a upper-middle class area, I slaved away doing things from trash runs, to restocking, to dishes, to actually cooking, and then actually preparing the ofer. I was barely clearing $230 every 2 weeks. Meanwhile girls were literally leaving every night with tips which range between 50-100 dollars, usually around 60 dollars though. Anyway they had daily tip + their checks. How I know how much they raked in in tips? We're teens we talk & flaunt money, they would even count their money on break.

That's when I said to myself "Hell f*cking naw."

Now money was never really a big deal to me until I got my first job last summer(sonic). I would get an order that totaled to $12 and some change & I would literally say "you can keep the change" because I was told that they really need the tips. But those sleazy sluts had more money than I dreamed of earning at that job and were doing less work (purely my opinion)

Moral of the story **** Tips.

Last edited:

Flakez

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Tipping seems to be mostly an american thing. Sure we tip where I'm from too, but it's usually a small amount and even if you don't, no one expects you to.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
I stopped tipping hoes when I started working at sonic for a summer job (16 years old btw). I stay and work in a upper-middle class area, I slaved away doing things from trash runs, to restocking, to dishes, to actually cooking, and then actually preparing the ofer. I was barely clearing $230 every 2 weeks. Meanwhile girls were literally leaving every night with tips which range between 50-100 dollars, usually around 60 dollars though. Anyway they had daily tip + their checks. How I know how much they raked in in tips? We're teens we talk & flaunt money, they would even count their money on break.

That's when I said to myself "Hell f*cking naw."

Now money was never really a big deal to me until I got my first job last summer(sonic). I would get an order that totaled to $12 and some change & I would literally say "you can keep the change" because I was told that they really need the tips. But those sleazy sluts had more money than I dreamed of earning at that job and were doing less work (purely my opinion)

Moral of the story **** Tips.
So you stopped giving cause you were mad that people weren't giving you? This airtight logic is why tips are such a problem in the first place.

kimb

Veteran
Kin
67💸
Kumi
703💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I tip when I'm feeling generous, or service provided merits a tip, but no one should have to tip, or be expected to. I feel like when your primary source of income is a weeky/biweekly paycheck, but your quality of income is dependent on tips, you shouldn't complain, otherwise you need to find a better job.

InfiniteMugen

KING
Legendary
Kin
110💸
Kumi
200💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Tl;dr... I feel tipping depends on service... that being said I always tip, but it varies greatly on service, on top of that 95% of servers get paid jack sh t in base pay. Now as far as places like... dominos or chipotle that are more fast/fast casual and have tip jars i usually don't tip

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
I tip when I'm feeling generous, or service provided merits a tip, but no one should have to tip, or be expected to. I feel like when your primary source of income is a weeky/biweekly paycheck, but your quality of income is dependent on tips, you shouldn't complain, otherwise you need to find a better job.
It's not that simple though. Saying "Find a better job" is like saying "If you don't like being poor, why don't you just stop being poor?" This kind of selfish-ass, divisive thinking is why those jobs suck at pay anyways.

zayYz

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
no i don't tip maybe on special occasions but its not that common in my country, if i would travel to the U.S of course i would tip because i know the salary is shit i heard they live off tips.

justmy2cents

kimb

Veteran
Kin
67💸
Kumi
703💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's not that simple though. Saying "Find a better job" is like saying "If you don't like being poor, why don't you just stop being poor?" This kind of selfish-ass, divisive thinking is why those jobs suck at pay anyways.
No, it's not like saying "If you don't like being poor...", because there are way more factors and variables and outside factors that go into poverty compared to having a job. People have autonomy, if they're able to work at a shitty job, they're able to seek out a better one, or put effort into acquiring one. If you believe in meritocracy and capitalist ideology, you would agree that if someone is not satisfied with the income they're making, they should make an effort to make better income, and if it takes finding another job, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

It is not the job of consumers to insure you get your wages worth, basic supply and demand. "That kind of selfish-ass, divisive thinking is why those jobs suck at pay anyways" That comes from such high place of self-entitlement, it's repulsive.

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
what he should be saying is demand more from your employer.

OT:isn't tipping just a holdover from the prohibition era?

Last edited:

Sasuke tyeezy

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So you stopped giving cause you were mad that people weren't giving you? This airtight logic is why tips are such a problem in the first place.
No I was mad because I had been brainwashed into thinking tips were a necessity to give. Meanwhile girls literally make my 2 week check in the span of 1 week. I never feel entitled to someone else's money. However, knowing how much they pull in every night I understand that they don't need my tip, like I've always been told.